Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

extra stout posted:

If you're off or work from home, it's the twitch day with a couple devs and GMs typically going onto every server one at a time and spamming giant monsters in Bree, dropping items people will spam click to pick up (usually bound unique or rare pets, some titles, maybe a mount)

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8135255#post8135255

https://twitch.tv/lotrostream

One problem is they haven't done a scheduled time per server in years, so some servers could be completely rushed, like 15 minutes even out of the whole day and unplanned in order. You can also just skip it or tune in when you're bored, they gave away so much content/rewards this year I'm mostly hoping to hear some nostalgic dev talk if I watch a bit.

Oooh I'l definitely tune in for the parts with Corey Olson (Tolkien Professor), thanks!

e: well, after my 1pm call :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Logging on to alts last night I see it's my level 48 warden who I leveled as a Yeoman, since they have up to eastenmet for farming/cooking done and I should probably max them up through whatever the highest tier is now. Hopefully it'll let me use up some of the piles and piles of carrots and barley and other materials in their storage.

I'm not sure what large carry-all type to get (probably crafting?). I think I'm going to do a month of VIP since the medium carry-all and 40 extra mithril coins, and cosmetics, will be nice in addition to unlocking fast travel for my Beorning.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Crafting carry-all is very nice, as is task item carry-all if you bother with trying to do task item turn-ins. Those two are heads above the rest.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

This is actually awesome to see: https://steamcharts.com/app/212500

Apparently some servers actually are getting queues

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game has a very good core and making the early stuff more accessible is the best thing they could have done for it. Glad to see the numbers go up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I decided to make an alt account for the hell of it and I guess new accounts don't get the 105 and 120 item, just the level 50? That or the game's still buggy and having issues not giving out everything properly.

e: With how fast I filled a large carry-all for crafting, maybe I should get a crafting carry-all as the medium VIP item too...

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Cutedge posted:

This is actually awesome to see: https://steamcharts.com/app/212500

Apparently some servers actually are getting queues

This is so nice to see. It's really fortunate that the game has managed to keep a steady playerbase after all these years.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Evil Fluffy posted:

I decided to make an alt account for the hell of it and I guess new accounts don't get the 105 and 120 item, just the level 50? That or the game's still buggy and having issues not giving out everything properly.

e: With how fast I filled a large carry-all for crafting, maybe I should get a crafting carry-all as the medium VIP item too...

Some of the stuff is per-account, some is per-character. That may be part of the confusion

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The new LI system is confusing as hell but I guess once you have your ideal traceries on a weapon and class item they're just good to go and you level the item over time? Is the old LI menu even used for anything now or did they leave it in just so poo poo wouldn't break? I think my captain has about 15 million ixp worth of runes from the old system too. I don't suppose those serve any purpose now?

Glass of Milk posted:

Some of the stuff is per-account, some is per-character. That may be part of the confusion

Nah, it was some weird bug with the stuff not going out. When I logged in later the missing items were in my inventory on the character on the new account. I'll probably never use the alt but figured I'd make it because hey why not, free level 120 character (who lacks poo poo like Fast Travel because no VIP so go hunter or RIP).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think my captain has about 15 million ixp worth of runes from the old system too. I don't suppose those serve any purpose now?
If you're talking about the blue heritage runes, they are VERY useful. Right click on them (or alt+right click to consume a stack) and it will advance the Reward Track (similar to the "seasons" of other F2P games). Then hit Shift+I to claim your rewards. No need to go over level 100 though, because after that it just repeats ancient script boxes, and by then you will have surely hit the cap for ancient script.

quote:

I'll probably never use the alt but figured I'd make it because hey why not, free level 120 character (who lacks poo poo like Fast Travel because no VIP so go hunter or RIP).
Just use a couple mithril coins to unlock travel to some of the main towns.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

is there a quick way to check whether the other stuff is working fine? I just checked my account and it seems like its only registering Mordor as registered?

It's entirely possible and likely their account backend is just borked right now though.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

A while ago I posted about how to make a decent chunk of Figments of Splendor at lower levels mostly AFK. This process has got a lot quicker and braindead now that everyone gets the Beorning class for free. The class intro is about 5-10 minutes long and you end up with a free teleport directly to the Bree farming fields as part of the anniversary event.

Since the Curator is back in town, I'm farming up enough figments for the housing decorations (banker, barber, guards etc.) whilst playing other games.

I've also tried out the new zone, Yondershire, on an alt and it's really nice. I hope we get a premium housing option there!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I used the 120 valar boost I was given and I was bombarded with a dizzying amount of unfamiliar things at once. Now I'm thinking a start from scratch and learn all this one step at a time.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I used my 50 boost on my Captain, but I’m planning to run through Volume I of the epic quest line anyway just to get a general feel for the class before moving on to Moria.

Also ran into an interesting bug: I had an old Captain alt with the same name that I deleted a while ago, and when I took this new alt to the class vendor/trainer to buy the alternate herald skins, some of them are missing from the vendor - specifically, ones that I remember buying on the old, deleted alt with the same name.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

so with the new LI system, all the old LIs and such that disenchant into ancient script are something I should just convert ASAP or what? My captain (100) and champion (75) are using old LIs still and while I'm tempted to bump the Captain up to 105 or 120 I figure skipping a ton of story is dumb and I'd probably get a lot of what I need by converting old stuff and going through the epic on the Captain (champion can do w/e later)?

Not sure if I want to use the 120 on my Beorning either for that matter. Since I put together the alt account and made the Beorning on it 120 I figure that can be my practice to determine if I want to focus on the Beorning or stick with either the Captain or Champion.

fenix down posted:

If you're talking about the blue heritage runes, they are VERY useful. Right click on them (or alt+right click to consume a stack) and it will advance the Reward Track (similar to the "seasons" of other F2P games). Then hit Shift+I to claim your rewards. No need to go over level 100 though, because after that it just repeats ancient script boxes, and by then you will have surely hit the cap for ancient script.

Apparently I can't use the large ones yet because they're level-locked to 130 or 140. :rip:

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Did they buff Minstrel sometime in the past year? I feel like they're a bit tankier since the last time I played.

Witeldram fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 23, 2022

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I haven’t played this since Rohan, but had fun playing a Warden with goons on Silverlode. the changes sound cool, and this game was always a fun chill experience. If I were to start playing again, what are some things I would absolutely need to know or do?

I’d ideally play Warden again unless they’re nerfed into the ground

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Witeldram posted:

Did they buff Minstrel sometime in the past year? I feel like they're a bit tankier since the last time I played.

The buffed them in this latest patch.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I used the 120 valar boost I was given and I was bombarded with a dizzying amount of unfamiliar things at once. Now I'm thinking a start from scratch and learn all this one step at a time.
Either that or ask myself or someone on discord to walk you through it.

The main reason to be 120 is that it gets you closer max level for groups/raids. If you don't care about grouping and just want to experience the story, starting over would be good for that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Apparently I can't use the large ones yet because they're level-locked to 130 or 140. :rip:
That's normal. I have like 300 still, just waiting for the reward track reset to cash em out.

TheHoosier posted:

I haven’t played this since Rohan, but had fun playing a Warden with goons on Silverlode. the changes sound cool, and this game was always a fun chill experience. If I were to start playing again, what are some things I would absolutely need to know or do?

If you're starting a new char, the game will tell you how to play it. Before the latest patch, there were a few trips + tricks to get the most out of the F2P system, but it's not really necessary any more. Any class is viable at end game, because this game doesn't really require min-maxing, so play what you want.

As some have said, just don't use items with "Valar" in the name if you don't want to be instantly leveled up. :)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TheHoosier posted:

Get in on the event login rewards and festival! Stand and dance with the bands in bree. There are a couple LI guides out there for the new system, but just come back. It's not that different (I was on silverlode too). Come join us on landroval if you want.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Now is the best because there’s so many new players being all “help I just created my first character and I clicked a thing and now I’m level 120 and no idea what to do, help”

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You deliver those pies like a proper badass

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Currently 115th place in the log in queue. When was the last time this game had queues?!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Get in on the event login rewards and festival! Stand and dance with the bands in bree. There are a couple LI guides out there for the new system, but just come back. It's not that different (I was on silverlode too). Come join us on landroval if you want.

What are some good li guides? Need to figure out if I just turn everything into that new currrency, if there’s other uses for stuff like crystals of remembrance…etc.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Smash the relics of the old world to remake them into the new. It's what Tolkien would have wanted.

That said, I think the new LI system is probably less confusing than the old one if you're not already familiar with the old system.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

What are some good li guides? Need to figure out if I just turn everything into that new currrency, if there’s other uses for stuff like crystals of remembrance…etc.

Seen this one pop up

https://dadislotroguides.com/new-legendary-system-possibly-u30-3/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Am I understanding correctly that if I wanted to play a brawler I would need to purchase the latest expansion? I don't see it in the store to purchase for points. If that's the case I'll probably save it for an alt when I get a character to that content.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I went to transfer my guys from Silverlode, and my only options were two other closed servers (Palantir and Bullroarer)?? It failed on both transfers, naturally. I only have 1500 points in my account, and I'm guessing I missed the window on the free transfers, huh?

Undeterred, I rolled a Lore-master on Landroval and laughed when my limited inventory was almost immediately bombarded by expac rewards, login rewards, and old cosmetic stuff from when I played before. It is really quaint that Archet is still the beginning area for Men.

Is it easier to get groups for dungeons now? Mechanically or otherwise? My interest in these games is usually dungeons and story content, and if I remember correctly, getting groups together to do the instanced dungeons was a real pain in the rear end. Like almost non-existent. That's essentially what killed my desire to play the last time. I don't care about progging, I just like doing the cool group content and seeing the big fights.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

So I went to transfer my guys from Silverlode, and my only options were two other closed servers (Palantir and Bullroarer)?? It failed on both transfers, naturally. I only have 1500 points in my account, and I'm guessing I missed the window on the free transfers, huh?

Undeterred, I rolled a Lore-master on Landroval and laughed when my limited inventory was almost immediately bombarded by expac rewards, login rewards, and old cosmetic stuff from when I played before. It is really quaint that Archet is still the beginning area for Men.

Is it easier to get groups for dungeons now? Mechanically or otherwise? My interest in these games is usually dungeons and story content, and if I remember correctly, getting groups together to do the instanced dungeons was a real pain in the rear end. Like almost non-existent. That's essentially what killed my desire to play the last time. I don't care about progging, I just like doing the cool group content and seeing the big fights.

The games largely been redesigned to be soloable. Most of what used to be group content will give you buff when you go to solo it. There is an instance and group finder but I don't know how much it's used, people usually just spam world chat for the higher value instances.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TheHoosier posted:

They've been saying transfers from closed servers are on the horizon for like 2 years, might never happen.

Yeah, you'll have to walk over to Bree to access the vault and free up space. :D

99% of people don't group until level cap. At that stage it's easy to group, although most people use world chat and LFF instead of the built-in dungeon finder.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ah, bummer. I guess seeing it with my bird and bear pals is better than nothing. Seems like a lot of dev effort wasted :( they really need to find a way to entice people to do those.

speaking of, anyone on Landroval that doesn’t mind if I bug them occasionally?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have a level 96 hunter on Landroval I've came back and started playing again. I quit after struggling through Rohan years ago and never got to see any of the Gondor stuff, which people say is pretty good. So enjoying the Dol Amroth area right now. IGN is Maaike so say hi if you're around.

what level are you? I have a lvl 20 champ sitting around if you're in that range to quest with

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Level 18. My play schedule is pretty inconsistent due to work/family, but once I get my Warden transferred over and use my Valar gift I should have plenty of ways to do content with people. I’ll add you when I hop on again.

Mine is Shawluck if anybody wants to add me

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I have a level 96 hunter on Landroval I've came back and started playing again. I quit after struggling through Rohan years ago and never got to see any of the Gondor stuff, which people say is pretty good. So enjoying the Dol Amroth area right now. IGN is Maaike so say hi if you're around.

what level are you? I have a lvl 20 champ sitting around if you're in that range to quest with

Dol Amroth is amazing. I'm in the same area right now though I'm in Gladden. It's a massive step-up from Helm's Deep.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I'm Beregorne in game. Hop on the discord to catch up with other goons playing.

The legendary servers are a way to get people to do earlier content together fwiw. The content will lock out so people have a reason to do the older stuff more till the next unlock

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The Gondor and Mordor stuff is all real good.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I haven't had much time to play lately, but if anyone wants a low level Hunter friend, I'm Moririel on Landoval.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ILL Machina posted:

The text content of lotro is arguably the only interesting part of the game. If you skip to 50, you're going to be dodging a good amount of grinding, just up to Moria which was one of the first, more interesting expansions. You can probably get there with the Book quests and other lore-based objectives, though. That being said, aside from the recent Yondershire expansion and the February Trollshaws expansion, the non-book-quest early game content is VERY old and genuinely boring. 50 might be a good spot to start.

Hard disagree. The side quests are garbage but the pre-Moria main quests are pretty interesting although they slow down a bit in the middle third.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I have a level 10 Loremaster on Landroval named Beakbeak. Looking to play casually and see some of the Inn of the Forsaken content and other stuff I haven't done before.

Add me to your friends lists and shoot me a message if you see me playing:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Everyone should get in the goon guild, maybe we can even get enough people to run dungeons some day. :unsmith:

Been playing casually for ~5-6 years now and I don't think I've ever grouped with another player. :smith: