Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Presumably Forsaken are hand picked to be super narcissistic and probably don’t want to die themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Invalid Validation posted:

Presumably Forsaken are hand picked to be super narcissistic and probably don’t want to die themselves.

That's true for all of them except Ishamael, who was a philosopher who explicitly turned to the Shadow out of a sense of despair over the concept of eternity and wants to break the cycle to allow true death. This is also the Dark One's goal, as much as it can have goals, which is why Ishy/Moridin gets to be Nae'Blis. He's the only one of them that actually gets it.

Like Ishy's thought process was 'Reality only has to break once for everything to end while continuing things has to go well every time. Therefore eventually everything will end. Better dedicate my life to having it end now instead of dragging it out.'

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 22, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zore posted:

Balefire isn't a final death. They still get spun out again in the future, it just fucks with the Dark One specifically because he can only catch the souls at the moment of death to do his 'bring back to life' trick and Balefire moves that to a point before its possible to be aware of.

Better question is why Ishy/Moridin aren't just blasting Balefire out of their hands 24/7 at literally everything they can see and spreading the knowledge around as much as possible. Destabilizing reality also seems like it would have the desired effect.

I think the most common theory is that even if you did that and broke the pattern, it would only be THIS pattern. It would all still come back later. His belief is that the ONLY way to permanently break the pattern is for the DO to do it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nerd con live

https://twitter.com/thedustywheel/status/1517523311135105024?s=20&t=3HWp9rnnM5234ZhUqm07kg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRCh-qWc8M

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 22, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I think the most common theory is that even if you did that and broke the pattern, it would only be THIS pattern. It would all still come back later. His belief is that the ONLY way to permanently break the pattern is for the dragon to do it.

Fixed. If the dark one could do it, killing the dragon is an option.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

DarkHorse posted:

I love the idea of Elan Morin Tedronai getting so bummed at existence that he resorts to death by number puzzle (seppuku is what you're thinking of)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Two 2s on a single line, he is right to feel dishonor

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Here's the bone Judkins tossed to Jordan Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uij9rqbSfY

Ayoola Smart is Aviendha

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1517574077442973696?s=20&t=vrCeB7POtBg3kPp8aq1nIg

Hexel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 22, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I noticed Isis Mussenden in that video as well which is :psyduck: since she gave an interview saying she wasn't on S2 so who da gently caress knows :shrug:

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1517575712051499009?s=20&t=h0eqT_jZ6f1z7baBMtHDYA

I guess they got 2 costume designers now

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

In that video Judkins also confirmed they are filming Falme

He says there's an iconic fight scene going on right around the corner from here that Aviendha is a part of. Ayoola Smart has been training for months learning how to handle spears and do flips n' poo poo and handle veils.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hexel posted:

I noticed Isis Mussenden in that video as well which is :psyduck: since she gave an interview saying she wasn't on S2 so who da gently caress knows :shrug:

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1517575712051499009?s=20&t=h0eqT_jZ6f1z7baBMtHDYA

I guess they got 2 costume designers now

I've been suspecting for a while that they're actually filming s3 now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

In that video Judkins also confirmed they are filming Falme

He says there's an iconic fight scene going on right around the corner from here that Aviendha is a part of. Ayoola Smart has been training for months learning how to handle spears and do flips n' poo poo and handle veils.

What's Aviendha doing at Falme? drat, they really ARE switching things up.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

More Aiel and sooner are the only past comments I can recall. Some have noticed that the stunt actors we had video of rehearsing battle scenes and poo poo seemed to have spears and little bucklers so :shrug:

gently caress it why not.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jng2058 posted:

I assume they're merging Falme and Tear.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Zore posted:

I assume they're merging Falme and Tear.

I still don't get the how of it but it really feels like that's going to happen, and honestly I'm ok with that. Rand declaring himself Dragon with a kick-rear end sky battle then declaring himself Dragon again by pulling the sword from the stone a season later would feel a bit redundant. Better to make it all one huge event and move into the next phase of the story.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, he has a sword battle with Ba'alzamon there. Why not have him use Callandor for that and Tam's sword gets blasted away or something?

Though my first thought of iconic fight scene was the dance with me Eyeless scene

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, he has a sword battle with Ba'alzamon there. Why not have him use Callandor for that and Tam's sword gets blasted away or something?

Though my first thought of iconic fight scene was the dance with me Eyeless scene

If we're sticking to the continuity, he needs to take the wound that won't heal at falme when Tam's sword is melted into oblivion. Callandor and the world declaration probably make sense to combine into a single event, its just hard for me to see how moving that item to Falme really makes sense especially given the launching point that the Stone is for the entire EF5. They didn't find the dragon banner with the horn though so we could have a moment where they find that at falme after the big battle needing the horn, and that sets Rand onto the next piece where he won't quite allow it publicly spoken until he can get Callandor.

I'm hoping that they just have Rand fight Turak and they save the stone and callandor and maybe even the sky fighting for Tear.

On the topic of Semhirage and Demandred for that matter, of course they lose and are undone by obvious villainous egoism. It's a required trait to become a forsaken.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Guys I’m 90% certain they will not combine Falme/Tear

Aviendha in Falme is simply an expanded role of what she does in TGH, hardly a reason to leap to a Falme/Tear combo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hexel posted:

Aviendha in Falme is simply an expanded role of what she does in TGH, hardly a reason to leap to a Falme/Tear combo

Season 2 is combining books 2 and 3 and uh they sure as hell don't have the budget for both Tear and Falme

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/lordmatcauthon/status/1517618894197989377?s=21&t=_zPWvTnfeqUaNAQ4FVL4bg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's not loss

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I think if they planned to combine Tear and Falme they would have moved Siuan's home country to Falme. Because she was born in Tear and they still mentioned Tear hating channeling they will probably keep the Stone.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mage_Boy posted:

I think if they planned to combine Tear and Falme they would have moved Siuan's home country to Falme. Because she was born in Tear and they still mentioned Tear hating channeling they will probably keep the Stone.

They could also be focusing more on the "Forsaken took control of a country" aspect of the fight in Tear and kinda skipping that part of Illian. That way the whole "Rand takes an area for prophecy" isn't repeated.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
People are already mad that's shes not white.

"Book accuracy"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Facebook and reddit comments were pretty breathtaking :discourse:

It’s not my head canon but I’ll reserve judgment for her performance and costuming

Nynaeve wasn’t my head canon either and she kills it.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 23, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mage_Boy posted:

The Stone is shown in the Siuan episode cold open and its also pointed out on the website as being in Tear and never falling to invaders.

They've said they will pull some parts of book 1, 2, and 3 into season 2, they never said they will combine entire books so I don't know where anyone is getting this impression. Odds are they're going to expand on the Aiel searching for He Who Comes With The Dawn and push up the meeting between the girls and the Aiel from book 3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

Facebook and reddit comments were pretty breathtaking :discourse:

It’s not my head canon but I’ll reserve judgment for her performance and costuming

Nynaeve wasn’t my head canon either and she kills it.

Nynaeve is a standout, which is high praise given the rest of the cast. I feel like the actor really *gets* her.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

That poor girl, even the casting director had to say something

https://twitter.com/kvhendry/status/1517603270247731208?s=21&t=IYMRKK13ruol3RLex0aqBg

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Combining falme and tear would be dumb and bad.

Aviendha actor looks ok, will reserve judgment.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I have never been able to picture the Aiel as Irish and get surprised every time it's brought up to me again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

Aviendha isn't in The Great Hunt. She first appears in The Dragon Reborn when the Wonder Girls run into Aviendha, Bain, Chiad, and Dailin en route from Tar Valon to Tear. Nynaeve heals a wounded Dalin, they split amicably, then the Wondergirls get captured by bandits, and are rescued by an Aiel strikeforce including the aforementioned ABC&D, though Dailin dies during the rescue.

I suppose they could do something like instead of Liandrin using the Ways, she sends the Wondergirls to Falme on their own, and along the way they have the ABC&D encounter? I dunno, maybe something like that? :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 23, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How are u posted:

Combining falme and tear would be dumb and bad.

Aviendha actor looks ok, will reserve judgment.

Have u considered if they combine them we get FEAR

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Aviendha isn't in The Great Hunt

Yeah you right. I was thinking of Rhian, the spear maidens they bump into in Stedding Tsofu.

Perrin, Mat and Ingtar meet a lone Aiel by himself in TGH too

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Colonel Cool posted:

I have never been able to picture the Aiel as Irish and get surprised every time it's brought up to me again.

Yeah, me neither, although I get it from text:

The Dragon Reborn posted:

The [Aiel] had looked a good deal like Rand, taller than most, with gray eyes and reddish hair, and he had been dressed like the man in the cage, all in browns and grays that would fade into rock or brush, with soft boots laced to his knees.

The Dragon Reborn posted:

Blue-green eyes and reddish hair cut short except for a narrow tail that hung to her shoulders; soft, laced knee-boots and close-fitting coat and breeches all in the shades of earth and rock. Such coloring and clothing had been described to her once; this woman was Aiel.

...etc, etc.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The key part of course is that pale skin isn't necessarily part of what identifies Aiel, since everything that sees the sun is going to be extremely tan. It's the hair and eyes that give them away. As usual the "ethics in casting" types don't even know the books they're mad about

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CainsDescendant posted:

The key part of course is that pale skin isn't necessarily part of what identifies Aiel, since everything that sees the sun is going to be extremely tan. It's the hair and eyes that give them away. As usual the "ethics in casting" types don't even know the books they're mad about

Nah. That’s early yet. Let me skip to the wiki:

quote:

Jordan has said that he thought it would be fun to have the Aiel as a desert culture but with Irish heritage, thus the Aiel are physically as a people modeled After Irish people this is evident through their pale skin, and light hair and eyes. The Aiel are further connected to the Irish through the Tuatha'an.

I mean I don’t give a gently caress, mix them up, but I do think Jordan was pretty clear.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just permanently sunburned and covered in skin cancer

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ulmont posted:

I mean I don’t give a gently caress, mix them up, but I do think Jordan was pretty clear.

That's fair, I mostly remembered descriptions of how intense the Aiel's farmer tans are described as at some points.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ulmont posted:

Yeah, they're not all redheads, plenty of blondes too. Some dark hair, but that's like how some are short: it's just uncommon. That said, who cares? Aviendha specifically has dark reddish hair in the books, it's not like being super pale is a defining trait like being short is for Moiraine..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Ishmael is hella narcisstic.