Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is the Bolt blue a metallic or simple monotone?

It's metallic, kinda sparkles in the light.

It's a lot prettier than the Tesla paint, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

My Model 3 has lost 'sensitivity' with the HVAC system. If I was hot in the car, I used to be able to set the temperature to like 68F, and it would very quickly increase the fan and bring the temp down pretty quickly. It was similar on the way up as well. But recently, I have to go way lower/higher to get any change in temp. It's not a physical problem, as the heat and AC still work, and it can spool up when I push the temp lower, so it doesn't seem like the thermometer is broken. Perhaps it is a software update? Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, the software update where they changed all the positions still pisses me off. I was reflecting that while the car has gotten better over time, the OTA updates can also mean that your car loses those over time too. :/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

It's metallic, kinda sparkles in the light.

It's a lot prettier than the Tesla paint, in my opinion.

Groovy- my last 2 Priuses were metallic blue and I’ve been wondering about the Bolt. Thanks!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saw this today. Looks decent in white, but it wouldn't be my choice. Then later I saw a black one drive past and it looks goooood in black.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So we're going back to "boxy" now, are we?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Work EV crew. Trying to sweet talk the higher ups to get us a charger on the employee parking lot for those of us who have EVs! (It’s literally just us)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

So we're going back to "boxy" now, are we?

Boxy but good!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Charging at work owns!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Wait a minute. You’re not at work. I’m at work. And it’s dark outside!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Work EV crew. Trying to sweet talk the higher ups to get us a charger on the employee parking lot for those of us who have EVs! (It’s literally just us)

We see here: A compact car to the left, a SUV to the right!

Car classifications have gotten weird...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

When you set the seat to the highest position in the Leaf there are “crossovers” that you are clearly higher than.

Everyone is just buying hatchbacks now but no one wants to admit it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

We see here: A compact car to the left, a SUV to the right!

Car classifications have gotten weird...

People keep insisting the Polestar 2 is anything but a sedan but when I park it next to sedans it looks identical in size

I don’t know anymore

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Polestar 2 is firmly a sedan, without a doubt

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s actually a wagon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's not pulled by oxen, try again fuckboi

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
One of the hardest things about upsizing the Volt is all the “suvs” are barely larger than my existing compact liftback sedan.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
All the ChargePoint stuff at LibertyStation in San Diego is now broken.

Latches on the ones that can connect, no connect on the sole unit (out of 8) that has latches.

Luckily I snagged a free charger at Whole Foods in La Jolla.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I was just today wondering how, with more people getting EVs, increased vandalism at chargers will impact pricing.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dc chargers? Not much once they also become convenient stores like QuikTrip

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah chargers will become much more reliable when the business depends on the chargers bringing people in. If an EA charger goes down, I doubt Wal-Mart knows or cares. They certainly aren't losing any significant amount of sales as a result. If a convenience store needs people charging to sell coffee, soda, and chips at high margins, yeah, they'll have a few spare handles/cables/whatever on prem and a hotline to call for a regional DCFC repair service.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

VideoGameVet posted:

All the ChargePoint stuff at LibertyStation in San Diego is now broken.

Latches on the ones that can connect, no connect on the sole unit (out of 8) that has latches.

Luckily I snagged a free charger at Whole Foods in La Jolla.

The chargers at Liberty Station are so slow. I really wish they had installed non-shared ones. And I don't know how you managed to snag a charger at Whole Foods, those things are always in use. I've long since given up on trying to charge there.

The Chula Vista Center is where it's at, though. They have 8 regular Volta chargers plus a Volta fast charger.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Anyone have a clue why the Westfield UTC EA chargers have been sitting there rotting with the plastic wrap still on the for like a year after they were installed? Seems like such a waste.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

I was just today wondering how, with more people getting EVs, increased vandalism at chargers will impact pricing.

I dunno, you have to go out of your way to get to most chargers. I have seen someone post on Reddit about people smearing dog poo poo into them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Anyone have a clue why the Westfield UTC EA chargers have been sitting there rotting with the plastic wrap still on the for like a year after they were installed? Seems like such a waste.

Any time you see this where things are installed but not open 90% of the time it’s because the power company has not brought power over / made the connection or finalized the permit / started feeding power.

And power companies will do poo poo when they want regardless of your schedule because gently caress you that’s why

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

McPhearson posted:

The chargers at Liberty Station are so slow. I really wish they had installed non-shared ones. And I don't know how you managed to snag a charger at Whole Foods, those things are always in use. I've long since given up on trying to charge there.

The Chula Vista Center is where it's at, though. They have 8 regular Volta chargers plus a Volta fast charger.

I start my bike rides with friends at Liberty and even the slow charging was useful.

I get lucky at that Whole Foods often. It was easier in 2020 though.

I live in Carlsbad and the two Volta chargers near the coffee shop typically have one or two open.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GM to Spark EV owners: gently caress You
https://www.pcmag.com/news/gm-reportedly-stops-making-chevy-spark-ev-batteries

Even though some are still under warranty.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That…doesn’t make me thrilled about long term Bolt ownership.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

It'll be fine, just give it a few years. I used to own a LEAF, and shops are popping up all over the country to refurbish batteries and sell them to you.

Anyway the world is about to be awash in recalled Bolt batteries. There's a business-savvy recent EE graduate out there right now trying to angle her way into buying these at fire sale prices, and hack them into something people will want to pay money for. It's just going to take 5 years before you and I hear about her.

PS: hello from the Chevrolet service department lobby. In 2-4 hours I should have a brand spanking new battery!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Elviscat posted:

Chevy, sell me my goddamn Bolt,

cruft posted:

PS: hello from the Chevrolet service department lobby. In 2-4 hours I should have a brand spanking new battery!

Chevy's website shows inventory again, though mostly in transit. I actually got a message from the dealership on Sunday that they had one (non-EUV) available to sell now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Anyone want to place a bet on whether I'll get this EA charger to work after another 10 minutes of attempts?

e: GOT IT! Only took 5 attempts. I am the charging master!

I'm getting 45kW at about 25% SOC with 63°F ambient temperature, which is a far cry from the "up to 55kW" advertised. People considering this car should bear in mind that 55kW is a theoretical maximum. In reality it's going to take 70+ minutes to get from 20% SOC to 80%.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 25, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Chevrolet has confirmed a hybrid eAWD Corvette coming next year and full EV after that.
https://twitter.com/chevrolet/status/1518577631716913152

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Darchangel posted:

GM to Spark EV owners: gently caress You
https://www.pcmag.com/news/gm-reportedly-stops-making-chevy-spark-ev-batteries

Even though some are still under warranty.

:rip:

I doubt any third party would invest in making a replacement due to the low production quantities of the car. Maybe someone will want the motor out of mine when I'm done with it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm a little worried about the future of my Soul then, given that people are already waiting months and months for warranty replacements. Guess I better janitor my battery.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I'm a little worried about the future of my Soul then

Have you heard the good news :catholic:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

cruft posted:

Anyone want to place a bet on whether I'll get this EA charger to work after another 10 minutes of attempts?

I'm getting 45kW at about 25% SOC with 63°F ambient temperature, which is a far cry from the "up to 55kW" advertised. People considering this car should bear in mind that 55kW is a theoretical maximum. In reality it's going to take 70+ minutes to get from 20% SOC to 80%.

Yeah as much as I loved my Bolt that was a sticking point and one of the factors leading me to jump ship. The other being lack of communication at the time about the recall

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm 99% sure that the Bolt can pull 55kW from the plug but transmission losses plus HVAC bring that number down. You might get 2kW back if you turn the air off.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah as much as I loved my Bolt that was a sticking point and one of the factors leading me to jump ship. The other being lack of communication at the time about the recall

I bought a used one that someone in South Carolina had clearly sold in a jump ship moment, like 1 month after the recall. They took awesome care of it. Thanks, mystery original owner!

And now it has a brand new battery! :peanut:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

cruft posted:

Hey you are lucky. The bolt at work doesn’t even have DC charging pins.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kirios posted:

There were two comments on the article when I looked at it, and one was already about how much of a sham EVs are...
Yeah, OK, boomer. Clearly, there will never be any sort of aftermarket or third-party replacements. Just like laptops. You just throw those away when the battery shits itself, right? (Probably...)
Odds on Mr. "It's a sham" daily driving a 6000 pound diesel pickup?

wolrah posted:

Chevrolet has confirmed a hybrid eAWD Corvette coming next year and full EV after that.
https://twitter.com/chevrolet/status/1518577631716913152

The thing that stood out to me there besides EV/hybrid is AWD! Sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

cruft posted:

Looking at plugshare, I swear that 70% of the EA charger complaints are Bolts. Aside from when a stall is just offline, I've not really had any problems with EA. Sometimes takes two tries, but that's about it.

EV Gateway can go loving choke on a CHAdeMO plug though.