Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

Finished watching series 1 of City Hunter, pretty good, Ryo has a crippling sex addiction but doesn't let it get in the way of his job, hes a stone cold professional

Started watching Dirty Pair, was scared because these are supposed to be "sexy" anime girls but the whole thing seems less titillating than an average One Piece episode, pretty good

I like that these shows both do wholly standalone episodes, I miss that in this age of sprawling 30 episode arcs

How are old comedy animes funnier and more charming than new animes

Unless you're a series that's already mainstream as hell it's tuff to do well with a mostly episodic series these days especially when you typically only get to do chunks of 13 or 26 episode seasons. People want their overarching plots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The standalone episodes of the latest Lupin series ruled, but the overarching plot is just a big ol shrug.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah not having long dumb arcs is enjoyable. We're here for a good time not a long time!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Casey Finnigan posted:

It doesn't? I remember seeing that exact phrase hundreds of times

pretty sure ol' grippy meant in newer manga, rather than the entire historical course of all manga including homosexual love.

i'm gonna drop "boys run the riot" as a rare manga with a trans man in it

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm writing a manga about a cross-dressing gay man who is obsessed with Yuri falling in love with a cross-dressing gay woman obsessed with Boys Love

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nice Op I hope it comes out great and you enjoy making it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Casey Finnigan posted:

It doesn't? I remember seeing that exact phrase hundreds of times

I mean, the mangas it does show up in still exist. I just haven't seen it in any of the recently published gay mangas I've read

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

tokin opposition posted:

pretty sure ol' grippy meant in newer manga, rather than the entire historical course of all manga including homosexual love.

i'm gonna drop "boys run the riot" as a rare manga with a trans man in it

Boys Run The Riot is great because not only is it, as you say, very rare to have a trans man lead, it's also pretty rare to have an LGBT manga with a largely straight cis supporting cast. So it is an LGBT manga because it's about the main trans guy's deal, but at the same time it's a great "guys being dudes" series.

Calibanibal posted:

I'm writing a manga about a cross-dressing gay man who is obsessed with Yuri falling in love with a cross-dressing gay woman obsessed with Boys Love

I would be very surprised if there wasn't at least a doujin with that plot already

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if you've seen City Hunter and Dirty Pair you might as well watch Irresponsible Captain Tyler

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Gripweed posted:

I would be very surprised if there wasn't at least a doujin with that plot already

Well okay but in mine the twist is that they're childhood friends and they have to pretend to be married

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i'd read it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Calibanibal posted:

Well okay but in mine the twist is that they're childhood friends and they have to pretend to be married

Hack.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Doc Hawkins posted:

if you've seen City Hunter and Dirty Pair you might as well watch Irresponsible Captain Tyler

And if you haven't, you should still watch it because it's still one of the best comedies out there. Apart from some jokes involving Tyler being a lech, it still holds up really well

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

And if you haven't, you should still watch it because it's still one of the best comedies out there. Apart from some jokes involving Tyler being a lech, it still holds up really well

If someone can handle the City Hunter lech jokes they can easily handle Tyler

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
how about a MC whose a ross dresser

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Homeless Friend posted:

An MC who gets all their clothes from Ross? Is it because you want to see people like yourself represented in anime?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
t-man isekai where they have a cheat shop where they can buy estrogen. the trans migrator

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
anime chandler

could you be anymore of a tsundere

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
complete scammer isekai who sells healing crystals/is a chiropractor/traditional chinese medicine/dowsing/etc every scam imaginable where the mc smugly gets money and gets out of dodge but it all actually 100% effective

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

describing season 1 of mob psycho

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Southpaugh posted:

describing season 1 of mob psycho

reigen owns love it when he scams people with extensive massages and poo poo because they aren’t actually haunted but are weird enough to think they are

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Kitfox88 posted:

reigen owns love it when he scams people with extensive massages and poo poo because they aren’t actually haunted but are weird enough to think they are

Reigen is such a fantastic character. "Scumbag with a heart of gold" is a hard archetype to keep running, usually they just end up being fully good guys, but they nail it with Reigen

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It helps to sell it that he does do some lovely things. Like he financially exploits Mob, even if he also helps him.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
finished Yu Yu Hakusho and I loved that it flipped the expected rear end in a top hat rival turned friend cliché by revealing early on that Kuwabara is actually a very good if dumb guy while Urameshi is unequivocally the rear end in a top hat in the situation

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

complete scammer isekai who sells healing crystals/is a chiropractor/traditional chinese medicine/dowsing/etc every scam imaginable where the mc smugly gets money and gets out of dodge but it all actually 100% effective

This reminds me of that one Isekai where the mc became an irl mega CEO so that he could spend all his time that was rich being a neet but dies the first day and has to bootstraps himself back to being ultra rich in the new world with the help of his lizardman sidekick and business management knowledge. Also he gets a dragon to work for him for food and that's how he starts his big plan to being rich again. Ending song was pretty catchy though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tenderjerk posted:

Started watching Dirty Pair, was scared because these are supposed to be "sexy" anime girls but the whole thing seems less titillating than an average One Piece episode, pretty good
kei or yuri? choose wisely.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also city hunter s1 probably has the best op+ed combo of any series both 10/10

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't really blame ryo too much for the constant sexual harassment. he's just trying to show off his demonstrably superhuman genitals.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Also just constantly surrounded by baddies

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

finished Yu Yu Hakusho and I loved that it flipped the expected rear end in a top hat rival turned friend cliché by revealing early on that Kuwabara is actually a very good if dumb guy while Urameshi is unequivocally the rear end in a top hat in the situation

Kuwabara is a sweet boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k0qg_k1S0U

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Homeless Friend posted:

Help! I Married My Drag Persona As A Tax Dodge And Must Keep Up The Act

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

kuwabara is absolutely an angel and i love him, same with okuyasu in diu even if he is less of an angel. he's still a good lad.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

t-man isekai where they have a cheat shop where they can buy estrogen. the trans migrator

i hit people with my isekai truck but they just wake up gender bent

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
caught the double feature of (the filthy loving dub version of) Kiki's Delivery Service and Collateral at the local Alamo Draft House. haven't' seen the former in years, but it always makes me a bit sad when she can't understand Jiji anymore :(

hopefully they'll do Porco Rosso + Heat next weekend

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

also city hunter s1 probably has the best op+ed combo of any series both 10/10

hooting and hollering every time the city hunter ED starts to play before the credits

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Srice posted:

If someone can handle the City Hunter lech jokes they can easily handle Tyler

yeah lol that was my logic

if they want a challenge there's Golden Boy

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Srice posted:

hooting and hollering every time the city hunter ED starts to play before the credits
I can see why Stardust Crusaders picked up the bit. it ALWALYS rocks and i am VERY ready to get wild AND tough.,

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Apr 24, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
the best op/Ed combo in anime history is the first season of yu yu hakusho and there’s no close second

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

skipmyseashells posted:

the best op/Ed combo in anime history is the first season of yu yu hakusho and there’s no close second

what about the first season of inuyasha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

skipmyseashells posted:

sounding like a mf who isn’t wild OR tough rn