Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
It's not like we enjoy putting McAfee on machines, but big Army has mandated that it be there so there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

🙃

I hope and pray I've convinced him to have one AD account as a local admin, one I created just for these machines and that doesn't have access to jack poo poo.

It's in a secure facility so hopefully there shouldn't be much exposure. Local admin but no access to servers.

IDK I just work here.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I have to migrate a bunch of changes from the test environment into production tonight. I realized I should probably hit up the customer to see when I am able to make the changes. The last time we worked in prod on a Tuesday, 5:30 p.m. was fine. Not tonight though! 9:00 p.m. So who knows how late I'll be up tonight.

This is the same customer who gives us a vendor VM to remote into. Not just any vendor VM, but a Windows 7 machine. I told them 8 months ago that the software versions they are using are not compatible with Windows 7, and they really need to provide us with a Windows 10 VM, but nothing yet. Even better your profile gets wiped every time you log out. I was not aware of this at first, and lost some work because I had files in the my documents folder on one of the servers.

Even better one of the products I'm working with is clickonce. So every time I want to run it from either the vendor workstation or one of the servers, I have to go to the run dialog and enter a share name all over again because the history gets lost, find and launch a shortcut, and then install the product all over again. I think we need to pad projects for this customer at least 15% in the future to account for reinstalling our own loving software every day we work with it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Is McAfee anything still widely used at an enterprise level?

I havent come across anything of theirs in years thankfully.

in my experience, mostly government orgs that balk at using bitlocker for some godawful reason

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

dragonshardz posted:

in my experience, mostly government orgs that balk at using bitlocker for some godawful reason

If you'd believe it, we're using both

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Erwin posted:

No one has said this. Whatever training material they were following should have made this clear. Skooma did nothing wrong and no one said they're not "clouding right."

However having a general idea of how things are charged is an important part of understanding the whole point of cloud computing. I'm not saying that you need to memorize the pricing sheet for instance sizes, but knowing that instances have a fixed cost while they're running and knowing that the real advantage of cloud providers is that you don't need to size your baseline capacity to match your peak load all the time. Recognizing when a workload might be a good candidate for Lambda/Azure Functions, or when you can move that static site from an expensive instance to object storage is the whole idea of cloud providers.

If you're just taking your company's 100 Windows servers and moving them to Azure VMs, then yeah, the cost is someone else's problem and you can just do the thing, but at that point you are just treating Azure as a slightly more expensive hosting provider. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're starting to learn about cloud computing, it makes sense to become familiar with how different deployment patterns cost different amounts.

First off, I do very little IaaS work and I’ve never worked some horrible lift and poo poo. But none of what you’re saying is true. If you’re picking solutions out based on cost you aren’t going to be using Azure functions unless you have never tried using the dev-environment-rated non-dedicated instances and run into unpublished limits on those. Azure you will be buying dedicated compute (unless it’s for something you really, really don’t give a poo poo about), full stop. And ASPs and poo poo like AKS aren’t cheaper than IaaS unless you can convince your all teams to plan all their dedicated computing together or something which lmao

Second off, unless it’s your budget it doesn’t matter AT ALL. it’s going to cost more money. Period. Using public clouds is not an exercise in being a tightwad. If the app can’t justify the budget for all the new hotness, put it back on prem or retire it. It the app can afford it, find the right solution and gently caress the cost (to an extent).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

i am a moron posted:

Using public clouds is not an exercise in being a tightwad.

Now THIS is the thing that needs to be branded across all the foreheads of every CIO's direct reports so that whenever that CIO holds a meeting they get reminded of it, because whether due to public cloud marketing bullshit or whatever else, that seems to be all they think using public clouds is for.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Bullet points in file/directory is still being a giant loving pain. For one, Java is reading it as a colon in the middle of a file name, period at the end of a file name and a space character at the end of a directory name. The space at the end of a directory name is the worst as I'm unable to delete or rename the directory later, using Windows explorer. I can handle the files at least partially gracefully, but not the drat directories.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Hotel Kpro posted:

If you'd believe it, we're using both

:negative:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dragonshardz posted:

idk why, there's vendor guidance on making it fips 140-3 compliant

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

idk why, there's vendor guidance on making it fips 140-3 compliant

inertia and contracts mostly

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

we're using Symantec and carbon black, lol

one of the hundreds of different vendor hardware we use doesn't understand how to interact with bitlocker, so we needed a thumb drive (already highly regulated) that didn't use bitlocker or Symantec drive encryption so the vendor hardware understood how to talk to it and the engineer didn't understand at all, like I was speaking another language.

Finally she understood what I was saying and then saying "well then the vendor should provide a USB then"

Lol, you're in lala land if you think a vendor is going to send you a usb stick

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 25, 2022

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sixth and maimed posted:

Wanting EDR on all end points after being crypto'd is apparently wanting to implement 'extreme measures' (read: costs money).

Our manager figured out this one trick to make it cost less: what if we just support the tool internally? After all, the SOC costs a lot of money. It's not like we'll be compensated for the extra availability and work load. I'm just about ready to quit about this poo poo. We're already stretched paper thin as it is. :fuckoff:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Did you ever have that moment, say 11 hours into the weekend outage escalation conference call, where you have stopped listening to folks argue and are just browsing job sites?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Now THIS is the thing that needs to be branded across all the foreheads of every CIO's direct reports so that whenever that CIO holds a meeting they get reminded of it, because whether due to public cloud marketing bullshit or whatever else, that seems to be all they think using public clouds is for.

It's The Cloud's marketing gimmick. They try to convince CEOs that they'll save money by moving everything into the cloud, which is true in many cases. But when you have to start paying for processor time, storage space, and bandwidth usage as line items instead of rolled up into already purchased assets and utility bills, small projects that would have negligible running costs using on-prem environment can suddenly get expensive.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Got a call from the head mechanic today.

Wanted me to give network access to a DAF truck diagnostics laptop so someone could remote in and fix the software.

Oh okay, so you got this laptop from DAF, and a DAF technician is going to log in an fix an issue?

No, not quite. See, it turns out that DAF do not want 3rd party mechanics having access to their software, so you can only buy a cut-down version for about £20,000.

The person who was going to be logging in was in fact a Russian programmer who sold the head mechanic the full, pirated version of this DAF diagnostics software for £500.

He even kindly supplied the laptop it was running on!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Right to Repair laws would make this better for literally everyone involved (except the Russian guy I guess).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like at this point the piracy charge would be the least of your legal worries.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Whipstickagostop posted:

Got a call from the head mechanic today.

Wanted me to give network access to a DAF truck diagnostics laptop so someone could remote in and fix the software.

Oh okay, so you got this laptop from DAF, and a DAF technician is going to log in an fix an issue?

No, not quite. See, it turns out that DAF do not want 3rd party mechanics having access to their software, so you can only buy a cut-down version for about £20,000.

The person who was going to be logging in was in fact a Russian programmer who sold the head mechanic the full, pirated version of this DAF diagnostics software for £500.

He even kindly supplied the laptop it was running on!

I saw this multiple times when working at a rural MSP with a lot of haulage companies.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like at this point the piracy charge would be the least of your legal worries.

Yeah that was my concern. Not that I would let that thing on the network even if there wasnt global sanctions on Russia, but still...

Honey Im Homme posted:

I saw this multiple times when working at a rural MSP with a lot of haulage companies.

I drive a VW and see VAG-COM diagnostics gear for sale constantly on Facebook marketplace, so I expect its pretty rife in most commercial vehicle repair shops.

KillHour posted:

Right to Repair laws would make this better for literally everyone involved (except the Russian guy I guess).

From what I gathered, this isn't really an Apple or John Deere situation. DAF will let you replace faulty parts with non-DAF ones, and the cut-down software will tell you exactly what is wrong with the truck, it just wont let you reprogram the ECU, as doing so by a non-DAF certified technician will invalidate the warranty on your truck. Plus it also costs £20k and not £500.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I think it really really works for smaller tech-based product companies. They can be cloud native and really leverage it properly from the jump, and you can do it with minimal human operational overhead.

That isn’t most companies though. Especially not the big ones. There are pockets of cloud native-ish stuff out there but the rub is usually integration with ‘legacy’ systems. So that means you’re either hybrid right out of the gate with all the costs that entails, or you start moving workloads into IaaS for proximity and realizing maintaining compliance and DR and all that poo poo hasn’t changed and unless you employee full time server rackers your systems team isn’t going to get smaller. In fact, some companies make them even bigger because their current employees are loving incompetent with the cloud and it makes normal workloads seem like huge projects. That doesn’t even get into telling constituent teams ‘you’re empowered! We’re just going to set up some guardrails’ only to realize if you do dumbass bullshit like model your cloud network after on-prem you’ve created the same exact friction and workloads that existed before and now have to work on either streamlining process or re-automating stuff or automating for the first time cause you suck. It’s always a loving mess

You’re starting to see megacorps get into something called FinOps, which is absolutely some of the lamest poo poo on the planet. It’s modern day sysadminning. You want to be a gatekeeper, knock yourself out. I would much rather just solve problems

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah,

The cloud is just someone else's computer. If you have issues that are not related to hardware maintenance & replacement, simply moving to the cloud is not going to solve them. It will just make them potentially harder to deal with due to the extra layers.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I agree that the cloud doesn’t paper over organizational decencies, but in terms of ‘we have this technical problem statement, how do we solve for it’ the cloud is eight million times easier. Running stuff on prem is for chumps and chumpettes, I haven’t done any on prem work in years and I will retire before I ever go back

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

vpn is down, which as a remote employee only affects me when I need to access a secure system

which I need to do now

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

vpn is down, which as a remote employee only affects me when I need to access a secure system

which I need to do now

We aren't helpdesk, please open up a helpdesk ticket.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't have time to make a ticket! This is affecting production!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

I don't have time to make a ticket! This is affecting production patient care!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have to connect to VPN to open a ticket :sigh:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

I have to connect to VPN to open a ticket :sigh:

Please email helpdesk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can already tell this is going to end poorly

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Last time I saw that screen the machine was locked into a loop of attempting to update, failing to update, rolling back the update, rebooting and attempting to update upon reboot again.

Was not fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's often a result of lack of sufficient free storage in the update process itself

And when that don't work, reimage the fucker

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's my personal computer, not a company managed one (I'm not break fix thank god).

I think it was the space issue because one of my hard drives was very nearly full (although not the one the OS was on) so I cleaned that up a bit and it looks like it was able to update overnight.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone else have a manager that is just clearly resume padding for whatever he thinks his next step is and just creates an unnecessary amount of work for his team to add those bullet points? I really do enjoy working for my boss, but lately I'd just wish he'd move onto his next step in his career and let me come in and do my job instead of creating all these new unneeded projects and throwing them on me to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doctor is that you?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

KillHour posted:

I can already tell this is going to end poorly

The ghost of Jacob Marley whispers in your ear, "reimage..."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have my first job interview in 7.5 years, and my first one ever as a trans woman, on monday afternoon over zoom, for a helpdesk job at a college campus. please god let me get the gently caress out of here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your job must be pretty terrible if you're looking to transfer to higher ed helldesk :v:

Seriously, though, good luck!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i used to do college IT and it wasn't so bad. mostly i am just trying to get out of here before a trumpy parent clocks me being trans in public and flips their lid at the head of school for allowing one of us freaks to work there. i love these kids but i gotta go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress the situation that you're in, but I wish you good luck and godspeed. Just remember that interviewing is a skill like any other and if it's been a while don't be too hard on yourself!