Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

They keep saying they have all these amazing things but from everything I've seen they appear to only have a lifeless, bland looking world with a very basic Oblivion level NPC AI.

If they have them, please show instead of tell!

Stop being a content locust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I lost count of how many games CIG is developing, this must be their 10th game

And maybe the only they will ever release

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1517189005749768193

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/h3oNODk.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dwesa posted:

I always thought references to CI -G and their teetering Jenga code were like metaphorical not literal

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

"There's something warm here but I can't touch it, what gives?" :swoon:

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9cpuyCdRw&t=727s

Behold the magic of FOIP

Hollywood must be lining up to shoot their movies using CIG's tech

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chadbear posted:

Behold the magic of FOIP

I can't wait for Wing Commander: The Movie 2.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

Wait, I thought that was the joke ...like no non-chuds really believe that do they?

it's over in that the people in charge in western society say it's over

i don't like it but they're right in that 'pandemic' is a human concept that is over the moment people decide it is. It would only become a pandemic if they chose to take it seriously again, which they won't.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Okay, CIG fanboys hating on UE5, that's amazing. Ignoring proprietary engines, UE must surely be the most capable and widely used engine on the market and are usually the ones driving innovative technologies in game engines.

Morons, the lot of them.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Time_pants posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I know it's not over, but in the eyes of our government it is.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

chadbear posted:

Behold the magic of FOIP

LMAO that voice acting. It's uh, weirdly similiar to a 20-year old game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePuyIOpYA_I&t=565s

Except it actually has a panning camera instead of a series of awkward close-ups.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
stole this immersive bartender quantum AI gameplay from refunds sub

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShinySpineyDotterelStrawBeary-V45lf9VN6q0DX7zh

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Dwesa posted:

nailed it

.random
May 7, 2007

Dwesa posted:

I do see where the coffee vendor gets her distinctive animation clipping panache from now

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I think "population growth means star citizen has potentially unlimited funding" is my favorite new take and it at least shows some people are thinking on the correct time scale

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Dwesa posted:

They did it, they built a 3-d representation of their game engine! The pace of development is sure to pick up now!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Janka

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ive managed to engage in a lifelong committal, build a new business, and have a child and chris roberts still hasnt pushed a complete system to his crowdfunded masterpiece

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
the childs name is Sandi Chris-Roberts Squadronfortytwo

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Congratulations! They are so worth it.

Mine is 6 years old now, and still no game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

nawledgelambo posted:

ive managed to engage in a lifelong committal, build a new business, and have a child and chris roberts still hasnt pushed a complete system to his crowdfunded masterpiece

Congrats dude, seriously :)
Mine is 12 and understands how funny star cirtezen is

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

nawledgelambo posted:

Sweet JPG. Did it come with LTI?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
thanks doods

burping is the worst part of it all, making sure they're getting enough to eat and keeping it down

the crying breaks thine heart

.random
May 7, 2007

nawledgelambo posted:

ive managed to engage in a lifelong committal

Tbf, so have Stan Citizines

But congrats too :shobon:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

.random posted:

Tbf, so have Stan Citizines

But congrats too :shobon:

They also built a new business! Actually it's like 4 new ones

(congrats nawled)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

no_recall posted:

I'm sorry but Star Citizen has way too many updates per tick. From moving items, parts, things, physics interactions to be feasible for anything else aside from a pretty spaceship viewer / wannabe MMO.

It's almost like previous MMOs did things certain ways for a reason. Instead of going the 'no compromises' route which inevitably results in 'no product'

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm not really familiar with MMOs, what is the standard player count in a server?

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

no_recall posted:

I'm sorry but Star Citizen has way too many updates per tick. From moving items, parts, things, physics interactions to be feasible for anything else aside from a pretty spaceship viewer / wannabe MMO.
for an MMO; yes. For a bog standard fps from 2010, the tickrate is on par to those, what isn't however is the amount of bandwith each tick has, it is nearly 4 times what most FPS games use today and there is zero reason for this.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Lammasu posted:

I'm not really familiar with MMOs, what is the standard player count in a server?

every day i pray they bring store citizen to steam so i can lol at the player count on steamcharts.

maybe they can beat shroud of the avatar and get into the triple digits.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

stingtwo posted:

for an MMO; yes. For a bog standard fps from 2010, the tickrate is on par to those, what isn't however is the amount of bandwith each tick has, it is nearly 4 times what most FPS games use today and there is zero reason for this.

What's star citizen's ticklerate?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Thoatse posted:

50 demmings/sec

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
They seriously don't understand how much information they're going to be sending back and forth.

I was doing some bathtub crunching of numbers and even if we manage to reduce the amount of information required down to minimum for vector updates for moving players in an area...

Assuming a very minimal data structure of just [localuserid, movevector] and the assumptions that they're not going to have more than 65k players in an area, that leaves us with 2 bytes for the id (uint16), and 8 bytes for each coordinate in the movement vector assuming that they're using double precision floating points for their coordinate system. if not, we can reduce this to 4 bytes for each coord, so let's be ultra generous.

That's at minimum 14 bytes of information to encode one players movement per server tick as a vector.

That means with a server of say, 500 people, and we generously assume that only 50% of them are moving at a time, that's still 7 bytes per person on average.

So 7 bytes for 500 people is a 3500 byte payload, or 3.5kb.

That doesn't sound so bad, eh?

To communicate that 3.5kb payload to 500 people, that's 1.75 megabytes per server tick to communicate all that data to all players. This is JUST for movement vectors, in a form that is already fairly well encoded and where we're being extremely generous with the structure CIG might be using.

There is a reason why the rubberbanding issues are so great in MMOs where there is a large player presence.

Obviously, that kind of poo poo isn't conducive to a FPS game.

They don't realize the bottleneck isn't processing power, but the transmission of information.

1.75 megabytes per server tick might not sound like much to a giant server with a big data pipe... but what about the poor sap trying to play on ADSL? 3.5kb doesn't seem like much, but that's going to increase by a ton when accounting for more than just player movement. There is a reason MMOs don't have a ton of patrolling NPCs in towns n poo poo. They stand still for a reason.

And what about the server having to compensate for that poor sap?

They can't answer how they're going to solve these problems because quite frankly they are very difficult problems to solve. They're pushing mathematical boundaries.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 23, 2022

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

That may be a problem for a lesser developer. But we aren't dealing with amateurs.

.random
May 7, 2007

Mellow_ posted:

They're pushing mathematical boundaries.

They’re doing what Big Publisher is afraid to do - and advancing society as they do it. Is it possible it takes another 10 years until the mathematics catches up? Absolutely. But that’s the price we pay for not settling for FIFA Madden Call of Dookie: 2k32. I wouldn’t be surprised if CIG wins an award outside of just gaming - well, for art, obviously, and I suspect equally likely for cinematics as part of the extended Star Citizen universe - but I’m talking about for something even more meaningful than entertainment.

I’m curious to know: what do you all think CIG’s biggest societal impact will be?

On technology? Mathematics? Economics? Or something totally different?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

.random posted:

They’re doing what Big Publisher is afraid to do - and advancing society as they do it. Is it possible it takes another 10 years until the mathematics catches up? Absolutely. But that’s the price we pay for not settling for FIFA Madden Call of Dookie: 2k32. I wouldn’t be surprised if CIG wins an award outside of just gaming - well, for art, obviously, and I suspect equally likely for cinematics as part of the extended Star Citizen universe - but I’m talking about for something even more meaningful than entertainment.

I’m curious to know: what do you all think CIG’s biggest societal impact will be?

On technology? Mathematics? Economics? Or something totally different?

Probably Chris Roberts' bank account.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 23, 2022

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

I should also emphasizes that the above 3.5kb is per server tick. Perhaps the size can be dropped down via some magic I'm unaware of or some crazy compression science. If they're wanting to be with the big boys and hit 64 ticks per seconds, loving LOL.

They just don't understand scalability and the impact it has on information.

I think the standard for things like entity movement is 15 - 30hz and then apply client side smoothing. Even that sounds incredibly taxing for their scale.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 23, 2022

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Now imagine some assholes want to kick cups around a station and there are 200 people there and its necessitated that everyone sees the drat cups flying around ~becausefidelity~ and loving lol

It's just absurd

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Thoatse posted:

unless they changed it in more recent years 30. Most FPS games these days not battle royal games which run at 20 ticks because there is 100+ players running around will run at 60 or 120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mellow_ posted:

There is a reason MMOs don't have a ton of patrolling NPCs in towns n poo poo. They stand still for a reason.

Or have their position derived from synched time / other client-side variables at initialization... But this isn't possible if all of your NPCs are supposed to be constantly updating their needs and desires with a rich internal life based on the best AI ever quantumed. Once again, CIG shoots itself in the foot by not understanding the implication of their promises.