Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ESPECIALLY to X, where not only is it a tortured acronym that doesn’t even refer to weaponry, but since they aren’t native to the planet, they are literally XenoB.L.A.D.E.s.

Masterful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

In a surprise twist the actual party members are Citan & Kosmos in a trenchcoat. Also Fei & Shion in a horse costume, and Jr & Billy in a 3-legged race.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
One of my favorite traits of Xenoblade is how utterly earnest it can be

Yeah, all weapons are blades, even shields, and yes, even famous legendary shields like the Aegis, because it's called Xenoblade, not Xenoshield!!

There's a bluntness to the writing that pairs so beautifully with the layers of religious themes and philosophy. My favorite is Logos / Malos whose actual name is a direct reference to the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ in particular, while their alias name is just straight up latin for "bad". I love it so god drat much!!

Xenoblade rules so hard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

They literally had a character called the Aegis have a magical all powerful sword, they're not going to let petty things like definitions get in their way.

In fairness, the name they were originally called was a lot closer to the Holy Grail, which is a bit, uh, way overblown

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, all weapons are blades, even shields, and yes, even famous legendary shields like the Aegis, because it's called Xenoblade, not Xenoshield!!

There's a bluntness to the writing that pairs so beautifully with the layers of religious themes and philosophy. My favorite is Logos / Malos whose actual name is a direct reference to the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ in particular, while their alias name is just straight up latin for "bad". I love it so god drat much!!

Xenoblade rules so hard

I sometimes have difficulty expressing why I love the Xenoblade games so much and this might come very close.

What I'm saying is I love it too and I'm excited for the new game. :)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Both prominent cat girls are named after the sounds that cats make in Japanese and English. It's art.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

3 is going to rule.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

WarpDogs posted:

Xenoblade rules so hard

It does and I'm glad it's become a series

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What the Aegis of Greek myth is is never actually specified. It could be a shield, it could be an animal hide, it could be a magical sword who is also a cute girl.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
IIRC there was an actual Aegis in the XB2 universe, but Malos broke it and declared himself the Aegis instead

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

in Japanese XC2 the Aegis was called the Holy Grail instead, so I just kinda assumed it was a name meant to sound cool without much deeper meaning

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There's a couple names that allude to Christianity in the Japanese text. Aegis is Holy Grail. Elysium is Paradise. Architect is God of Creation.

I think only Trinity (Processor) made it through the localization.

They then mashed the Christendom with Norse myth by placing these things atop a World Tree.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

in Japanese XC2 the Aegis was called the Holy Grail instead, so I just kinda assumed it was a name meant to sound cool without much deeper meaning
Isn’t the Xeno series as a whole loaded with Christ and Gnosticism metaphors and references? May not just be a shallow reference.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

"Aegis" sound better as a Proper Noun for them. "Holy Grail" is fine if it's being used metaphorically, like "We're searching for the Holy Grail of Blades" and maybe it would have been fine if Pythra were the only Holy Grail in the game, but it feels a little strange if you have Malos running being called a Holy Grail too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chronojam posted:

It does and I'm glad it's become a series

It turns out "You Will Know Our Names" was more of a mission statement than it was a song name.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Isn’t the Xeno series as a whole loaded with Christ and Gnosticism metaphors and references? May not just be a shallow reference.

Xenogears used a lot of Gnostic metaphors fairly competently, but it also featured the Elements who were named after types of angels for no real reason

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

WarpDogs posted:

Xenoblade rules so hard
It rules extremely hard

also i love how the in-universe reveal for that name is literally "Yeah, the names Logos/Ontos/Pneuma don't actually mean anything, we just really really wanted our supercomputer programs to sound cool."

U-DO Burger posted:

Xenogears used a lot of Gnostic metaphors fairly competently, but it also featured the Elements who were named after types of angels for no real reason
The Xeno- series follows the NGE method of gratuitous religious metaphors, ie: "thrown in because it seems cool and foreign"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blaziken386 posted:

The Xeno- series follows the NGE method of gratuitous religious metaphors, ie: "thrown in because it seems cool and foreign"

Biblical madlibs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I assume that the affinity chart never got dropped in any of the games going forward, did X or 2 make it trivial to fill out?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
DE had some trickery you could do with the leveling system to farm affinity super easily with weak enemies that couldn't kill you but were too high level for you to actually hit, so you'd constantly proc the affinity qte things. I think in 2 you can create love sources but I don't know if that's actually faster than grinding it out if you can.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Eopia posted:

DE had some trickery you could do with the leveling system to farm affinity super easily with weak enemies that couldn't kill you but were too high level for you to actually hit, so you'd constantly proc the affinity qte things. I think in 2 you can create love sources but I don't know if that's actually faster than grinding it out if you can.
You don't really need love sources unless you're the kind of insane person who goes for 100% completion (don't do this), but once you can make them they're generally faster than any other method, even when you can only make one at a time

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I assume that the affinity chart never got dropped in any of the games going forward, did X or 2 make it trivial to fill out?

If you mean the NPC affinity chart that showed NPC relationships, the one in X would crash the game and 2 removed it entirely

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blaziken386 posted:

You don't really need love sources unless you're the kind of insane person who goes for 100% completion (don't do this), but once you can make them they're generally faster than any other method, even when you can only make one at a time

Hahahahaha I got 100% affinity with every single Blade except one. T-elos? One of her nodes requires you to jump some nutty number of times, sitting there mashing B like an idiot to get one node was where I drew the line.

I don't suggest anybody else do this unless you're crazy or you really really love the game. Thankfully, both things applied to me!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Torna has a more traditional affinity chart but it's not quite the same

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Silver Falcon posted:

Hahahahaha I got 100% affinity with every single Blade except one. T-elos? One of her nodes requires you to jump some nutty number of times, sitting there mashing B like an idiot to get one node was where I drew the line.

What's impressive to me is that making B to leap around isn't your default Xenoblade movement ethos. You get it really quickly, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

Iirc in the original you would kinda slide up stairs while jumping which is why I started in the first place. Plus conveyor belts etc would really toss your party well!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Saxophone posted:

I was at one point a music major in college and learned to really actively listen and it’s amazing all the little things you pick out when you get a really good recording and are listening to it with good equipment, or at least extremely isolated.

Hell, if you listen to folks play the saxophone and the person recording wasn’t extremely careful with mic placement, you’re gonna hear so much clacking and thumping just from the actual mechanics of the saxophone working. I wrote a weird piece in college one time where all the percussion was done just on saxophones clacking keys and the pitched ‘thump’ of saxophone holes closing.

Anyway, yeah there’s almost no way to get 50+ people in a room and produce only music. There’s a ton of other sound. I’m trying to remember which song but there’s a video game music piece I used to point out to folks where a percussionist clearly drops a stick or something. Entertaining.

This post and username combo are fantastic!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Chronojam posted:

What's impressive to me is that making B to leap around isn't your default Xenoblade movement ethos. You get it really quickly, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

Iirc in the original you would kinda slide up stairs while jumping which is why I started in the first place. Plus conveyor belts etc would really toss your party well!

This reminds me of how much I hated the XC2 jump. They got the PERFECT videogame jump in XCX but then they hosed it back up in XC2!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't suggest anybody else do this unless you're crazy or you really really love the game. Thankfully, both things applied to me!
i didnt 100% things but i did get T-elos to S-rank because
A: it counts every jump you've made retroactively, and i had a habit of bunnyhopping when bored
B: there's a little overhanging roof somewhere in torigoth with just enough clearance that you can walk under it and still jump, but not actually have to wait to fall back down. It took like, a third the time it would if you were jumping normally

I think one of the last ones I did before giving up was dagas, simply because I did like, 90% of it, did his quest, then realized that his quest resets his entire chart back to square one. gently caress you, dagas!!! :argh:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Still better than sending Ursula's lovely band to rehearsals for hours on end imo

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I think I found something in the Xenoblade 3 trailer that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. For about 5 frames, you can see the full UI for chain attacks. It looks like you can possibly select the order your party attacks and their moves have the fusion thing turned on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sam Faust posted:

I think I found something in the Xenoblade 3 trailer that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. For about 5 frames, you can see the full UI for chain attacks. It looks like you can possibly select the order your party attacks and their moves have the fusion thing turned on.

Ah, I notice that in this screenshot 4 out of the 6 main party members have that upward arrow icon next to them. When I first saw it, it was on every other party member, which made me wonder if it indicates vanguard/rear-guard or something, but apparently not.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

This post and username combo are fantastic!

Thanks goonfriend!

It’s a blessing and a curse. On the one hand the music feels a bit more alive. On the other you hear all sorts of things. Most woodwinds are gulping air anytime there’s a break for them to do so and you can absolutely hear folks breathing in. Also a lot of conductors breathe in right before starting a piece sort of breathing with the orchestra. Page turns, bows clacking on stands, the actual mechanical parts of instruments thumping and clacking. Thumps of the foot pedals on piano, even to taps!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I notice that in this screenshot 4 out of the 6 main party members have that upward arrow icon next to them. When I first saw it, it was on every other party member, which made me wonder if it indicates vanguard/rear-guard or something, but apparently not.

I believe that's some sort of buff applied to an area. Some of the arts seen in the trailer have the word "field" in their description, and in other scenes, you can see circles on the ground with the same icon coming off of them. You can see it here in the mid-right part of the screen.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

(warning: self indulgent poo poo post)
Will we get the fusion dance the first time the characters fuse into an Ouroborous?
(End poo poo post)

Does the new release date applies world wide?
Italian Amazon still shows 30 September, but I assume they don't :f5: and compulsively update the data, unlike us rabid fans.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Omobono posted:

Does the new release date applies world wide?
Italian Amazon still shows 30 September, but I assume they don't :f5: and compulsively update the data, unlike us rabid fans.

Checking Nintendo's Italian page, I would assume so.

https://www.nintendo.it/Giochi/Nintendo-Switch/Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-2168340.html

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm finally playing the Torna expansion and enjoying it so far. I'm reminding of how awkward the combat can be, even with the improvements this DLC brings. The one issue I have is that it's hard to really fight "reactively." Fights tend to either be effortless, or the enemy's damage output quickly goes beyond the threshold my party can heal at and I die.

One thing I think these games would benefit from is more consistency in visual language, sort of like FF14 does. For example have enemies target areas that you can then dodge out of, or have obvious "cast bars" for hard-hitting skills (so you can more easily know "I should switch to my blade with a guard skill"). Most of the skill in XBC2 seems to just be geared around "looking at all your skills and figuring out how to get driver chains between your characters/blades." Basically assembling a good "rotation" and then just executing it.

Sam Faust posted:

I believe that's some sort of buff applied to an area. Some of the arts seen in the trailer have the word "field" in their description, and in other scenes, you can see circles on the ground with the same icon coming off of them. You can see it here in the mid-right part of the screen.

Ah, that makes sense. Though it seems like it would be kind of confusing to deal with the physical placement of party members to that extent. in XBC2 you can basically ignore that, aside from the character you're controlling (if it has positional skills).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I should have thought of checking that page.
Thanks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I think these games would benefit from is more consistency in visual language, sort of like FF14 does. For example have enemies target areas that you can then dodge out of, or have obvious "cast bars" for hard-hitting skills (so you can more easily know "I should switch to my blade with a guard skill"). Most of the skill in XBC2 seems to just be geared around "looking at all your skills and figuring out how to get driver chains between your characters/blades." Basically assembling a good "rotation" and then just executing it.
It’d be nice to know what the moves did.

XC2 reaches a point where you are expected to know how to kill a boss from roughly half health within a single chain attack. This is not a problem: if you can survive to that point then you’d likely be able to slowly grind the boss down. So demanding to engage with the deeper systems late in the game is perfectly reasonable.

The problem is trying to guess which of their ominous-sounding skill names is the one-shot move. If there was a universal Doom or Demise skill they could all use as opposed to trial-and-error then it’d make things a lot more intuitive. Because nothing sucks more than pulling the triggering on a chain attack prematurely because you assumed the latin skill you’d never seen the boss cast yet had to be the party wipe.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Didn't Xenoblade 2 have a "rage" indicator to show that an enemy was about to get really rude and hard to survive? Maybe it wasn't so cut and dry, but I do feel like I remember that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Didn't Xenoblade 2 have a "rage" indicator to show that an enemy was about to get really rude and hard to survive? Maybe it wasn't so cut and dry, but I do feel like I remember that

XB1 has 'Crazed' as a status and they differ depending on the monster. Those big mechon ones that like to stomp on the party just keep firing off talent arts relentlessly when they get that one.