Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Mattybee posted:

You completely did a shell swap? How bad was that?

I found it to be pretty easy following some YouTube video. I only replaced the outer parts so that’s probably why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Are there (decent) games that make use of the outer cameras? I'm considering getting a New 2DS XL as an upgrade for an old 2DS, now that I'm actually using the latter. I'm looking at a secondhand model with a decent price, but the outer cameras are noted to be "blurry".

I doubt I'll be snapping pics with it, but it's a shame if it might negatively effect something I end up playing. With my old 2DS I doubt I ever used the outer cameras for anything tho, not even those augmented reality cards.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 23, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember Chibi Robot Photo Finder being okay but I dont remember much else that used the camera

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think theres like 4 physical dsi games that all use the camera, but none of them are worth playing so you're good there. :v:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
You capture new units/party members in the Denpa Men RPGs using the outer cameras. Can't really think of too many other games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ryuga Death posted:

You capture new units/party members in the Denpa Men RPGs using the outer cameras. Can't really think of too many other games.

Looking at some game play footage it's like Pokemon Go where it puts 3D characters in the world? Then unless it actively scans the environment for certain details, it wouldn't matter if the cameras are terrible :v:

But it doesn't matter in general anymore, because somebody else bought that specific New 2DS XL while I was still contemplating it. I just settled for paying more for one in better condition. I'll miss those individually colored face buttons (Euro SNES nostalgia!) on my Pokemon Sun/Moon themed old 2DS, but I'm sure the bigger screens will make up for it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 24, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there any reason to pick up a N3DSXL if I have a N2DSXL? I feel like I'm missing out on a little bit when playing some of the games that actually make use of the 3D (mostly Mario and the Sega classics) but Nintendo is so phobic about letting you swap game profiles between two systems I don't think it's worth it but at the same time I'm curious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even discounting the 3D functionality, New 3DS has better build quality and speakers than the New 2DS. The speaker placement is pretty bad on New 2DS, last I remember hands can block them. Otherwise they're more or less the same.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it’s worth it. The 3D effect is very unique and adds a lot to many games.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does the top screen wiggle like the original did? I hated that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heath posted:

Does the top screen wiggle like the original did? I hated that.

Yeah. I hate it too, but apparently they’re deliberately like that to lessen the chances of broken hinges from drops. To which, I think worked. In my time I saw a ton less broken hinges on 3DS systems than DS Lites.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I get the structural purpose of it but I wish there were at least a button or something to lock it in.

Although I used to work in a little indie game store and kids would come in all the time with their DS Lites and just idly crack the hinge on the screen back and forth while not playing it and they were super floppy. Drove me insane.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The button to lock it in would completely defeat the purpose.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why does it have to click so loud when opening it though? sounds like I'm snapping something in half when opening it

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Anybody played a ds game called valkyrie profile? It's pretty sick. You're a medieval mercenary boy who makes a pact with the goddess of death to kill the goddess of war (?) and you get a demon footmaiden/girl Friday

it's tactics, but everybody can attack every turn if they're in range... it blows up everything you've ever learned about battlefield positioning. so they team up like in project x zone except it's not meaningless button mashing, because you can gently caress up the timing and miss and stuff. You can also get surrounded and flanked and devastated the same way. It's very different from your typical chip, chip, chip .> oneshot, oneshot, chip.

The 'elevator' aspect is that you can and sometimes must sacrifice party members' lives for a one-time boost to win a nigh-impossible battle.

Watch out, the story path forks almost immediately and the game doesn't warn you. Like, you wouldn't even know about it except the other towns get grayed out for a minute.

I think it sold 3 copies but the dialog is good and it looks good and stuff.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Heath posted:

Is there any reason to pick up a N3DSXL if I have a N2DSXL? I feel like I'm missing out on a little bit when playing some of the games that actually make use of the 3D (mostly Mario and the Sega classics) but Nintendo is so phobic about letting you swap game profiles between two systems I don't think it's worth it but at the same time I'm curious.

For what it's worth, the transfer process is painless assuming you have both your current and the new unit at hand and working. What is not painless (if even possible) is swapping back and forth, so stick with one or the other. System Transfer can only be performed once every 2 weeks or something, and it doesn't just clone the system but actually wipes the original one.

Personally I don't think moving from New 2DS to New 3DS is worth the cost. The 3D gimmick in the "New" consoles works really well but is truly well-realized only in a handful of games and even fewer actually worth playing. It makes a real beneficial difference in those Sega 3D retro games, Mario 3D Land and Link Between Worlds, but not many others.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm actually currently in the middle of essentially cloning my 2DSXL onto the backup 2DSXL and 3DSXL that I have. It's a little involved but nothing too painful, mostly syncing up saves and all the virtual console injections I have, plus tracking the few things that don't work well/at all on the 1st-gen systems to delete off the OG3DSXL

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can do a system transfer every 7 days. I did one today and it reminded me of that a couple of times.

One of the reasons I didn't get a New 3DS XL was because my right eye can become a bit teary after 45 minutes of play with a handheld. I imagine that's going to be even worse with 3D.

And I don't mind that the New 2DS XL has a worse speaker placement. Years of the GBA and the DS have conditioned me to lackluster audio!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've been looking at N3DSXLs and... why is the paint so bad on them? 2/3 of them are completely hosed up on the bottom. At first I thought it was just because these systems tend to belong to little kids, but man, I see why the 2DSXL looks like it was designed by Lego. Every N3DSXL I've seen has been, at best, scuffed to poo poo, and on average there are large portions of it where the paint has just completely worn away if it's a system that's been used regularly.

At this point the 2DSXL is looking like the way to be, except for the 3D. I don't personally mind the speaker placement because if you cup your hands right it actually amplifies the sound directly at your head instead of outward. It is amazing that you can completely silence the system by accident though.

I'm on a real kick with this thing after having kind of ignored it for most of its lifetime. I've had a 3DS, a 3DSXL, and now a N2DSXL pretty much since the original's launch and I've only really put significant time into a handful of games (SMT Soul Hackers, DQ7, Link Between Worlds, and some of the Sega Ages games.) Lately I've been doing some hunting around to find physical copies of games, and it turns out that they're on the whole fairly cheap but they're also in shockingly short supply, even moreso if you want the box too. GameStop is in a really sad state of affairs these days -- I've stopped at a couple of them in my town and the next town over when I happen to pass by, and they're all identical and have bigger inventories of Magic Cards and gaming keyboards than of actual games at this point. And they're creepily quiet. I remember when GameStops in the mall were practically bumpin'. Regardless, I was able to find a boxed copy of Super Mario 3D Land, marked at $20 but it rang up at $16, which I thought was a steal because this game is great. It was one of two games they had in the entire store. The other one I had less luck at -- they had a copy of Minecraft (or some Minecraft game, I don't follow it) and one of the Lego games I think.

I also hit up a couple of independent stores and they had more on offer but very little in the way of stuff I'm interested in, but I managed to find a boxed Majora's Mask for $20 and a "not for resale" copy of Samus Returns, although I'm not sure what's not for resale about it. I think it may have been part of a larger special edition box? Either way I've got a ton of stuff to play. It's neat that this system is in the part of its life cycle where I feel like I can go hunting for games and still find stuff for not completely outrageous prices. I don't think that's going to last, so I'm getting things now. The only obnoxiously priced things I've seen have been the usual suspects of SMT games, Fire Emblem, non-SMT Atlus RPGs, etc. I'm going to hit up a couple of pawn shops and see what I can dig up, if anything.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Glossy plastic was a scourge in the mid 2010s

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It sucks because the red ones look super nice in person, except you flip them over and they look like they've been dragged over gravel.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My black one has flaking paint all over the case except the bottom, but that's because I had to replace the bottom plate after hacking it. But it's had thousands of hours of use since 2016 since it was my only handheld for most of those years. I am on my third battery though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My Majora's Mask N3DS XL looks like poo poo but that's from years of heavy use. I have one of those SNES N3DS XL's that came out really late that they were practically clearancing out from Amazon that's in pristine condition. But usually I use my Japanese non-XL N3DS that I added custom firmware too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, it almost seems like it's some kind of laminate rather than paint and once one edge starts to peel the whole thing's gonna go eventually. Mine looks like poo poo, I need to see if AliExpress has bottom plates kicking around.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My black New XL started flaking off paint relatively quickly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My old bottom plate is flaky but not as bad as I’ve seen them for being 7 years old.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My bottom plate is a little worn but not flaking yet, I don’t sweat too much so hopefully that’ll keep it from getting all gooped up until some cool looking shells come out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do wonder how 3DS hardware is gonna hold up in another twenty years. Gameboy is over 30 years old at this point and are pretty plentiful and has gained a second life with the modding scene. It's said that the DMG hardware was outdated even when it was new but drat if it isn't hardy. I have a feeling 3DS just won't get that long of a life.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I saw a store with 2 physical 3DS games still in the game case. Sushi Strikers and Smash Brothers, still both full price.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do wonder how 3DS hardware is gonna hold up in another twenty years. Gameboy is over 30 years old at this point and are pretty plentiful and has gained a second life with the modding scene. It's said that the DMG hardware was outdated even when it was new but drat if it isn't hardy. I have a feeling 3DS just won't get that long of a life.

Yeah I wonder how those launch 3DS or 3DS XLs are doing. Those are both a decade old at this point

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think we’ll start to see more accessories, custom housings and plates relatively soon since original stuff is really starting to dry up. There’s money to be had in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can see new housings happen but I don't think the modding scene can be as robust as the GameBoy's. Rehousing hinged electronics makes me shudder. The Gameboy DMG is so simple and approachable. It works really well as babby's first electronics project. It's how I learned basic soldering.

Of course, the ubiquity and cheapness of the various Gameboy line systems helped the modding scene spring up. 3DS has been out of production for barely a year and it didn't really get to enjoy much of that post-production cheap second hand market life before going into turbo demand, costing as much or more as it did new. I'm just glad I bought a majority of the library before the prices skyrocketed too. I'm hearing even MGS3D is going for $150+ now due to being delisted everywhere. It used to be dirt cheap.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
It's quite an opportunity for retro emulator handheld companies like Anbernic etc. Must only be a matter of time before someone produces a cheap dual screen DS/3DS setup

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any crazy things like rehousing going on in the DS realm?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've seen transparent DS Lite shells but not much else.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there any crazy things like rehousing going on in the DS realm?

Just shells for that weird gameboy Macro mod haven’t seen much else

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

beer gas canister posted:

It's quite an opportunity for retro emulator handheld companies like Anbernic etc. Must only be a matter of time before someone produces a cheap dual screen DS/3DS setup

I think Analogue will do one sometime down the line if they’re still around. I’m sure FPGA tech will probably mature by then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Analogue will do one sometime down the line if they’re still around. I’m sure FPGA tech will probably mature by then.

I'm surprised the current mister is apparently not enough for DS right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone made a DS core, but from what I read, RAM is holding it back.

https://youtu.be/5kVvFZF_a0Y

Edit: Here’s his Reddit post
https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/comments/gvwe6f/nintendo_ds_fpga_implementation_first_commercial/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone made a DS core, but from what I read, RAM is holding it back.

Maybe with dual SDRAM becoming more standard things may become more feasible