Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For sale: magical quest, never attempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That child is looking at the penis. That guy is giving bedroom eyes to the woman carrying a child, and I really hope that just means they're in a relationship. LITERALLY EVERYBODY IN THIS TOWN LOOKS LIKE SNOUT ONLY WITH SMALL TUSKS!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Fister Roboto posted:

"Columbo but he's actually a moron" could also be an interesting premise, for like an episode or two.

I mean in some ways, at least in the broadest sense, that was kind of the premise for Dick Gumshoe in Phoenix Wright, no? The scruffy absent-minded detective who is every bit as inept as he appears (but still has his heart in the right place).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cloacamazing! posted:

LITERALLY EVERYBODY IN THIS TOWN LOOKS LIKE SNOUT ONLY WITH SMALL TUSKS!

Yeah something felt off and it's this. Even the people who aren't clearly depicted in the foreground have almost all long flowing black hair.

Quoting for the new page:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I was so distracted by the adult penis I didn't notice the nude child

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The child looks remarkably concerned about the comic it has found itself within.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Emrikol posted:

The thing is that if he'd just said that he was going to go take in the local culture it'd be fine. We'd still grouse about how he's not trying to advance the only objective he has, but it wouldn't be insulting. It's that he just had to have Snout go on about how trying doesn't get him anywhere and passivity is the path to success that's infuriating.

this is more or less a no-win scenario: snout's ideas for relaxing so far involve stalking the local food market and gawking at a nude beach. whereas the situations we've seen him actually do lucid dreaming are some combination of sleeping (literally, or dozing off while reading the ascinotaph book) or being led to it by the chandak. A isn't following B here and so it's just extra wheel spinny.

there's an alternative path i briefly wrote about how i think this could be narratively acceptable (not necessarily good, mind) but then i realized it was just Legacy fan-fiction and so into the bin it goes

Cloacamazing! posted:

LITERALLY EVERYBODY IN THIS TOWN LOOKS LIKE SNOUT ONLY WITH SMALL TUSKS!

this, also shoutout to the first panel where at a glance i thought mooks had drawn snout twice and also had the orc on the left inexplicably wear a top but no pants, due to the vivid buttcrack

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, a better writer would have tried to hint at a plot in one of these pages. A better writer might have someone stalking Snout or showing some set up. A better writer would have included some action.

Mookie is not a better writer.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hah, no wonder he doesn't want to leave orctown. He doesn't have to draw more than one person this way. The women all look the same too - ink witch, corpsemom, swamp hag, they all are the same height, have the same figure, have the same facial features, and have same size/shape breasts. Corpsemom is the only one where he tried something different by making her black, and all that means, apparently, is a larger nose and frizzy hair.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What if the refusal of the call to action itself is the acceptance of the call? Question that has never been asked yet is being answered in excruciating detail.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Mookie is obsessed with drawing sad dicks

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also I don't know how many times I need to point this out but WHY ARE THE SIGNS NOT IN THE ORC LANGUAGE ANYMORE! That was literally a major plot point a few chapters ago!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also I don't know how many times I need to point this out but WHY ARE THE SIGNS NOT IN THE ORC LANGUAGE ANYMORE! That was literally a major plot point a few chapters ago!

Arudak's library had a book about learning orcish in it, and so now Snout can read orcish, except for when he needs to not be able to do so.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

Arudak's library had a book about learning orcish in it, and so now Snout can read orcish, except for when he needs to not be able to do so.

But, like, that's not even what's happening here! The signs are just not in orcish anymore. Maybe Mookie could make the excuse that now Snout can read it (after less than a day of study, lol) so the reader just sees them in a language we can read now, but previously all the signs would have a common language (english or callanian or whatever) nearby the orcish sign anyway, but now they just... Don't.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Couldn't even have 1 of them not wear their snout wig behind the ears to look different eh

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
holy gently caress they are all snout

I still maintain that this is, intentionally or not, an examination of a Mary Sue parasite infesting and consuming a world. The storyline has become nothing but Snout's fulfillment and now the world is bending to his desires so urgently everyone is becoming Snout. This is how worlds end.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There are no fat orcs. No muscular orcs. No short orcs. No short haired orcs. Some had their hair in ponytails but not anymore. I think we might have seen an elderly one once a while ago.

Arudak has a beard, that's the one unique orc, I guess.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 22, 2022

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am so sick of this stupid loving face

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Anomalisa (2015)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No wait let me redo that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That guy on the right looks exactly like Snout.

Mookie cannot draw different faces. The two orc ladies might as well be twins. The same face with slightly different hairstyles is not drawing different people.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
this place has 10k people sharing the same grandparents, no wonder why racist weirdo Arudak loves it here

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No wait let me redo that

Lmao the crotch bulge

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOmkrwQdFc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

That guy on the right looks exactly like Snout.

Mookie cannot draw different faces. The two orc ladies might as well be twins. The same face with slightly different hairstyles is not drawing different people.

It took me a while to realize that. Like, yeah, Snout’s not an orc, he’s a mongrelman and those are supposed to all be wildly varied in appearance.

But Snout does look like an orc. Sorta always has.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He's literally named Snout and his face is no more Snoutlike than any given orc.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think a story about an oracle would be entertaining if done right. Do a Columbo thing where the oracle is going around setting up a convoluted trap for the killer. Or like in the Bill and Ted movies where their future selves have set up solutions to their problems.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mookie has never really cared to draw faces. Even in the original DD, it was a constant complaint that the only difference between characters was gender and hairstyle.

And as was the case with that strip, Mookie’s “progress” with his art in Legacy is less to stretch himself and do new things, and more to find ways to streamline what he does so that he can do it faster with less effort. Thus Snout morphs from what he started into Generic Deegan Face and matches every other character.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

skeleton warrior posted:

Mookie has never really cared to draw faces. Even in the original DD, it was a constant complaint that the only difference between characters was gender and hairstyle.

And as was the case with that strip, Mookie’s “progress” with his art in Legacy is less to stretch himself and do new things, and more to find ways to streamline what he does so that he can do it faster with less effort. Thus Snout morphs from what he started into Generic Deegan Face and matches every other character.

To him this is improving

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

"Improving" doesn't really seem to be something he really thinks about. At least when he's talked about people disliking his art, he thinks that saying "it's bad that your art hasn't changed since the series started" means they don't like his particular style, and not that he's lacking fundamental art skills that should improve with time and practice.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The music this comic in particular has playing somewhere distantly in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQmsyYxSFk

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I think a story about an oracle would be entertaining if done right. Do a Columbo thing where the oracle is going around setting up a convoluted trap for the killer. Or like in the Bill and Ted movies where their future selves have set up solutions to their problems.
The maddening thing about Dominic Deegan is that the place it starts in actually had potential. Dominic is a seer who gets visions about calamities that are about to happen which he tries to stop, but is hindered by his lovely personality and because no-one likes him. If it stuck there and explored how knowing the future can mess someone up and their relationships with people it could have been interesting. Instead it just became an excuse to mindcrush everyone into Seeing the Truth and knowing Dominic is the always the best - which again could have become interesting if Mookie realised that's kind of a thing the villains do.

Legacy never had potential though, it was doomed as soon as Mookie made the no dialog rule. It would have been better if it spent longer in the wacky hijinks in the Wild Edge but it was always going to become what it is now.

edit: it's also doomed because there is a rule that it always follows the perspective of Snout so we're stuck with him for the entire comic.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 23, 2022

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Are we in for Snout having some kind of 'Wow, if everyone was just like me the world would be so boring! I'm so glad I let the orc nazi into my friend group so I can hear everyone's perspective! I am enlightened! The truth is in the middle!' revelation or just a dream Snorgy?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This could be the start of some kind of vision that relates to the self, but I seriously, seriously doubt that mookie would kick that off immediately after the page declaring the start of a vacation.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
You could replace every face with Snout's and it would take me so long to even notice

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bismuth posted:

You could replace every face with Snout's and it would take me so long to even notice

The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Living Nightmare of someone with Prosopagnosia.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

YF-23 posted:

This could be the start of some kind of vision that relates to the self, but I seriously, seriously doubt that mookie would kick that off immediately after the page declaring the start of a vacation.

Or we're heading toward a reveal that Snout is an orc or half-orc, which will mean absolutely nothing.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

YF-23 posted:

Well the last time he had some kind of Dominic vision was when he was reading text intentionally so dry and boring and nonsensical that he drifted off into the actual meaning, or whatever. Him going on vacation could be leading somewhere.

Also scratch my first option from that post, now I'm wondering if this is meant to imply Snout just doesn't like see race maaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ScienceSeagull posted:

Or we're heading toward a reveal that Snout is an orc or half-orc, which will mean absolutely nothing.

Nah. The only thing it indicates is that Mookie is very lazy and is perfect happy to never have to draw more than one person instead of trying to learn to draw varying bodies and faces. If there is actually a plot element he is NEVER subtle about it.