Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Philippe posted:

How can I fit Steve Jobs in my mouth

Was he cremated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Was he cremated?

Ligma balls

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Breetai posted:

She's fash trash so she can get hosed.

Wait is bathwater girl milkshaked ducked? When did that happen?

PS: support non-nazi thirst traps

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did she also sell nudes that weren't hers as hers at one point? Or am I thinking of a different egirl?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

Did she also sell nudes that weren't hers as hers at one point? Or am I thinking of a different egirl?

Not hers and possibly not of age either from what I heard

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah, it's not a bright idea.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does that have to do with The tweet he’s replying to

Thank you! I'm a couple of Saturday lunch beers in, but I couldn't tell if he was the moron or I was (or both!)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/1517591349800980480

Kyle is not the idiot.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Breetai posted:

She's fash trash so she can get hosed.

You're gonna have to elaborate on this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait is bathwater girl milkshaked ducked? When did that happen?

PS: support non-nazi thirst traps

Can you be milk-shake ducked if you were never pretending to be good in the first place? Her whole gimmick has always been pandering to 4 chan likes. I'm fairly sure even her braces are fake and is just to keep the whole "very young looking" thing going nows she's in her 20s.

Every thing she says and does is to pander to that crowd.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

What was the original context of the reply?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Heath posted:

What was the original context of the reply?

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/1517509954302791681?t=eby4bS6y-KqpDfvm_cnhoA&s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I regret asking because that video is nauseating

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
it's also that very funny thing of whatever social media platform creating a world of critics and theorists that are years behind like, youtube discourse

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God, that reminds me of some random youtube movie review/analysis channel I stumbled across some time back. The last video of them I watched started pretty normally, but then they dropped this line: "For comparison, let's look at one of the most epic conflicts in all of fiction: Batman and the Joker".

Literally please just read a single book.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Perestroika posted:

"For comparison, let's look at one of the most epic conflicts in all of fiction: Batman and the Joker".

Literally please just read a single book.

I think it’s fair to say that Batman and the Joker are a good example of subverting the classical hero/villain dichotomy that most people will have heard of.

Without knowing the context of the video you’re talking about, if you are making a YouTube video about a conflict between two characters and you want to compare it something that most people will have heard of and know about, Hektor vs. Achilleus is probably not going to ring bells for as many people.

Edit: which is not to say that all films should be set in the MCU, I’m struggling to imagine a dumber idea

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Hektor vs. Achilleus is probably not going to ring bells for as many people.

Yeah. That's the depressing part.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Scientastic posted:

I think it’s fair to say that Batman and the Joker are a good example of subverting the classical hero/villain dichotomy that most people will have heard of.

Without knowing the context of the video you’re talking about, if you are making a YouTube video about a conflict between two characters and you want to compare it something that most people will have heard of and know about, Hektor vs. Achilleus is probably not going to ring bells for as many people.

Edit: which is not to say that all films should be set in the MCU, I’m struggling to imagine a dumber idea

Yeah, but if you're making a video that's trying to educate people on the hero/villain archetype, you'd probably do well to use examples people haven't necessarily heard of so that you can educate them about things that may be outside of their immediate experience. People may not have heard of Hektor and Achilles, but that's an opportunity to talk about that story. Going straight to the lowest common denominator isn't helping anybody, nor is it especially interesting or illustrative

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Iliad is literally bronze age comic books. Shakespeare was poo poo you went to see in the cinema with sticky seats. Who cares? There's no reason to elevate old crap over modern crap just because it existed longer.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

It's the little rubber button in the center of a laptop keyboard, duh

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Iliad is literally bronze age comic books. Shakespeare was poo poo you went to see in the cinema with sticky seats. Who cares? There's no reason to elevate old crap over modern crap just because it existed longer.

It's less about elevating one thing over another and more about desperately wanting to talk about anything other than the same three goddamn franchises for another 40 years.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tell me you don't read books without telling me you don't read books

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t agree with this at all: huge quantities of crap literature, tv, films, art etc. have been made. The quality stuff generally stands the test of time, and there’s a reason it’s still held in high regard decades or centuries later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because some people are very invested in the idea of a "canon" culture the consumption and knowledge of which is a signifier of class, because nothing makes some people happier than feeling like they are above the unwashed masses, yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

Tell me you don't read books without telling me you don't read books

I've read the Silmarillion about twelve times, I know books :colbert:

e: and to clarify it's great to read good things and not poo poo things. But there's nothing inherently great about how you know all about the bronze age punchmen and not the comic book punchmen. If you want to make a point it's far better to use examples that will make sense to your audience, not to flex that you can read Homer. Being totally uninterested in reading things from hundreds or thousands of years ago doesn't make a person dumb or uncultured.

I mean you can get Hector and Achilles from watching a Brad Pitt movie anyway. Who the gently caress cares?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Apr 23, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

when your culture is an actual monoculture.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I don’t agree with this at all: huge quantities of crap literature, tv, films, art etc. have been made. The quality stuff generally stands the test of time, and there’s a reason it’s still held in high regard decades or centuries later.

There's quality stuff being created now that will be held in high regard centuries from now. Art isn't worse now, it just hasn't been filtered by time yet.

You run into this conversation all the time with music. "Music nowadays is all manufactured commercial garbage. It was so much better back in (insert time here)." Meanwhile the #1 song in 1969, a year with releases by Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, The Doors, etc., was Sugar Sugar by The Archies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You'd best not be talking poo poo about sugar sugar

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Maybe I'm mixing my points, because Sugar Sugar isn't forgotten garbage. It is a corporate manufactured product devoid of any artistic integrity aimed directly at the lowest common denominator. Same as any punchman movie.

It is damned good at being that, though. It's ok for things to be "bad". Mindless popcorn flicks have a value same as Seventh Seal or whatever your favorite Shakespearean play is.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you're trying to make a point to the youtube watching audience about rivalries, if you use Batman and the Joker everyone will know what you're talking about. If you use Hektor and Achilles, you have to explain the Illiad to zoomers first.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

rydiafan posted:

There's quality stuff being created now that will be held in high regard centuries from now. Art isn't worse now, it just hasn't been filtered by time yet.

You run into this conversation all the time with music. "Music nowadays is all manufactured commercial garbage. It was so much better back in (insert time here)." Meanwhile the #1 song in 1969, a year with releases by Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, The Doors, etc., was Sugar Sugar by The Archies.

Oh, I agree completely with this: I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking the 80s was a golden age of music, but it’s only because I listen to the really good stuff from the era, and there’s a huge amount of crap. I’m sure that lots of modern stuff will be remembered, but that doesn’t mean the Iliad isn’t great.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think you'll find that in superhero movies, strong men take their shirts off and punch people, and often some kind of laser or magic weapon will go pewpewpew. So therefore, these films are universally good. People should watch other movies too, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've read the Silmarillion about twelve times, I know books :colbert:

e: and to clarify it's great to read good things and not poo poo things. But there's nothing inherently great about how you know all about the bronze age punchmen and not the comic book punchmen. If you want to make a point it's far better to use examples that will make sense to your audience, not to flex that you can read Homer. Being totally uninterested in reading things from hundreds or thousands of years ago doesn't make a person dumb or uncultured.

I mean you can get Hector and Achilles from watching a Brad Pitt movie anyway. Who the gently caress cares?

It's relevant to have at least some familiarity with those things because they form a significant portion of the bedrock of storytelling, especially the very concept of the sweeping epic and the very notion of the "hero" as we conceive it in the modern world. If you're just going to passively consume whatever thing Disney puts out, perhaps you don't need to go beyond that, but for storytellers and writers and people who like to actually think about the things they watch and read, it is enormously beneficial to understand the roots of those tropes even if it isn't strictly necessary to do so. It broadens your vocabulary and widens the toolbox you use to identify and articulate exactly what it is that works about a story, when it works and when it doesn't, and why certain things resonate and others don't. And that's to say nothing of the value and pleasure of fine prose or poetry in written work, or appreciating the dynamics of classic film techniques if you want to be more modern about it.

These guys in this video are cringy because they are so siloed into a specific thoughtspace of a Marvel Cinematic Universe that they seem unwilling if not incapable of thinking outside of it. And I maintain that that is not even their own fault, and that it's very intentional action on the part of Disney and other corporations, because they want to restrict all of us to their copyrighted trademarked storytelling zones where we can continue to feed them money, buy their merchandise, and think entirely in terms of their constructed "universes," identify ourselves with their characters and their morality schemes, their ideas of conflict and their ideas of resolutions to those conflicts. I wouldn't say that watching Marvel movies to the exclusion of all else makes you uncultured (especially since it is the dominant culture of the day) but it does keep you in some very narrow channels, and attitudes like "well what's the difference between this punch man and that punch man" betray that idea since the answer to the question isn't that there isn't a difference so much as it is that you don't actually know what the difference is

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Is this "Illiyad" thing a DC property, or..?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

shut up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It is funny when you look at people who actually read the Iliad versus those that just want to use it as a kids these days type whine thing.

Same thing happened with Shakespeare, people don’t give a poo poo about Shakespeare but it does let them feel superior that they pretend they like him

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

old bean factory posted:

Is this "Illiyad" thing a DC property, or..?

Oh you mean Troy Story?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't understand why this is has to be some sort of "high art/low art" culture war. Just watch or read or play or even just think about anything other than superheroes and Star Wars for one week. Please. I don't care if its classical literature or airport novels or even just a cool bug you see on the sidewalk. Anything other than Batman for just a little while.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being totally uninterested in reading things from hundreds or thousands of years ago doesn't make a person dumb or uncultured.

It doesn’t mean you’re dumb, but not being interested in experiencing culturally important art is pretty much the definition of uncultured.

Reframe your argument in the context of almost any work of art or form of media, and it’s pretty silly. It’s like when my dad said “I don’t like Opera” and thought this wasn’t a completely fatuous thing to say, or when I used to think all country music sucked.

There is interesting art everywhere, dismissing it isn’t some counterculture rebellion, it’s just being proud of wilful ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crowetron posted:

I don't understand why this is has to be some sort of "high art/low art" culture war. Just watch or read or play or even just think about anything other than superheroes and Star Wars for one week. Please. I don't care if its classical literature or airport novels or even just a cool bug you see on the sidewalk. Anything other than Batman for just a little while.

It would literally change nothing so I don’t get peoples weird obsession with this.

People are going to read the fiction they like and trying to make them like the fiction you personally like is ultimately pointless