Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
For the love of god, villains, desist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Serephina posted:

Sounds like a huge fuckin pile of drama that the only right solution is to walk away from. Ex-SIL putting people on blast on social media is a burning-bridges moment, did she honestly think her ex's family would have welcomed her?

I think she overestimated her son's "family." If someone in my family disowned their six-year-old child and refused to be in their life, the parent would be out of family events and the kid would be told that they are welcome and part of the family in every way possible, and if someone sided with the parent, there would definitely be some bridge arson happening.

When she started putting people other than her ex-husband on blast, I think she was no longer angling for an invite and was just letting people know what kind of family parties they were attending, which, fair, that's something I'd like to be told!

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I know, right? There's a time and a place for everything!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yes, Malachite_Dragon, for the love of god.

This isn't a minute argument, hour relationship is in jeopardy at this very second.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Barudak posted:

Yes, Malachite_Dragon, for the love of god.

This isn't a minute argument, hour relationship is in jeopardy at this very second.

Seconded

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Watch out, it’s time for an acid vat

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

now it's being done just to wind you up

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

AITA for getting mad at my wife's gender reveal prank and ruining the party?

My wife is currently pregnant and we are the proud parents of a 2 year old girl. To be completely honest this is an accidental pregnancy. I love being a dad, but our marriage hasn't been good for a while, so we didn't mean to bring another child into it.

:getin:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i mean dude is just gross but she really went overboard imo lol

She 100% literally aired their dirty laundry.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

massive spider posted:

She 100% literally aired their dirty laundry.

:dadjoke:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Can't believe everyone in reddit thinks it's normal to walk around being an ol dookie booty little boy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WIBTA if I remove the "in sickness" part from my marriage vow to my fiance [29M]?

quote:

This is harsh but I hate taking care of sick people. My siblings and I were always taking care of our parents whenever they get sick and I just hate it, I'm sick of it and I hate feeling bound or obligated to take care of somebody, my life is full of moments and events like this and I just finally want to live my life to the fullest.

I'm going to be married soon to my lovely partner and the best guy in the world. I'm so lucky and happy to have him by my side.

We have been thinking a little about our marriage vows. My fiance is going to have a traditional Christian one:

"I, _____, take thee, _____, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

I'm going to have an identical one to this one but without the "in sickness" part. I'm going to replace it with "in happiness"

My fiance says that he will not accept this and he is very mad at me, he is even rethinking the whole thing, I just don't want to feel obligated to take care of anybody sick for years of my own and only life, it's so stressful and I think he is being very unreasonable right now, it's just a marriage vow and I have the choice to change it. WIBTA?

edit fixed spelling and some stuff

INFO:

It depends on the disease, obviously, I'm going to have no problems taking care of somebody with a cold or some flu or some broken bones, however, if it's chronic/severe and requires so much time and playing around like Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, disabilities, cancer...etc then no, I had enough of those in my life.

Good communication up front is the key to a successful marriage

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Your vows aren’t a binding contract

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Yeah, the binding contract you sign is the binding contract.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Upgrade posted:

Okay but also it's good she's saying this now, because there is an assumption in marriage that you will help each other through hardships. Better than waiting until he gets an easily managed bowel disorder before divorcing him over it.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Captain Hygiene posted:

WIBTA if I remove the "in sickness" part from my marriage vow to my fiance [29M]?

Yup. And in this case, I think a healthy helping of therapy too.

Upgrade posted:

They aren't, but I think the thread (and society at large) generally agrees that bailing on your chronically or terminally ill spouse just because they're sick is really lovely behaviour. But it's still better to let your would-be spouse know that before they marry you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my son that his brother is just simply better at life than him?

What are your favourite missing missing reasons here? Mine is the obvious resentment op has towards Daniel for leaving home to go to one of those fancy pants liberal colleges.

Daniel is the rear end in a top hat for going to law school. At best, he is a useful tool for people actually doing other things. NTA.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Upgrade posted:

AITA for wearing this on a T-shirt at a wedding? I know it sounds bad but...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mediaphage posted:

man, in the comments she said they got married when she was 16 because they had sex and their christian family guilted them into it, and she ended up losing that baby.
Yeah, the ages on that one were throwing me for a loop. Married at 16 and 17, had miscarriage, waited until they were 33 and 35 to have a kid, and another 7 years later. Not a common pattern for crazy religious families.

mediaphage posted:

ok? this is a dumb derail but op said it would be impossible to trick a dude into thinking a hen laid egg is from a store. i don't think it would be that hard and pasteurization has nothing to do with it
You can wash them, they even sell egg wash spray. Pain in the rear end, though. But he doesn't cook. Is he even going to look in the carton?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Alcoholism is a hell of a drug
Just a couple bottles of gin for the weekend.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Captain Hygiene posted:

This woman should just stay single and spare everyone else the burden of dealing with someone so tedious and useless.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my son that his brother is just simply better at life than him?

What are your favourite missing missing reasons here? Mine is the obvious resentment op has towards Daniel for leaving home to go to one of those fancy pants liberal colleges.

The one kid getting married at 20 and the dad telling a 22 year old still in school that "it might be time to settle down" reeks of some ultra-conservative, fundamentalist, backwater family.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The_Franz posted:

The one kid getting married at 20 and the dad telling a 22 year old still in school that "it might be time to settle down" reeks of some ultra-conservative, fundamentalist, backwater family.

drat, I forgot about those ages, that just makes it weirder. I wonder how exactly dad's business has been massively flourishing thanks to a 20 year old straight out of high school.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

greazeball posted:

I teach at a college and during the week of international women's day I heard this argument in 3 of my 9 classes. There's some kind of online revival happening because 2 of the students said exactly what this guy said: it's not real, it's just different, no I won't be providing any evidence. The other student was a woman (!) and said she just didn't think it was true anymore. At least her friends shushed her and started explaining things. The guys all just kind of looked smug and nobody talked about it at all. We're not in the states and English is a foreign language here. :smith:
Fields that are predominantly women just happen to pay less on average for reasons that will never be examined. Just a weird immutable fact of life that nobody should look into or think about.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

greazeball posted:

I teach at a college and during the week of international women's day I heard this argument in 3 of my 9 classes. There's some kind of online revival happening because 2 of the students said exactly what this guy said: it's not real, it's just different, no I won't be providing any evidence. The other student was a woman (!) and said she just didn't think it was true anymore. At least her friends shushed her and started explaining things. The guys all just kind of looked smug and nobody talked about it at all. We're not in the states and English is a foreign language here. :smith:

I’m in the US and have noticed the same thing lately; one of those shithead MAGA talking heads must be pushing the narrative recently.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tinytort posted:

bailing on your chronically or terminally ill spouse just because they're sick is really lovely behaviour.

Ah, the Gingrich Maneuver

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, I forgot about those ages, that just makes it weirder. I wonder how exactly dad's business has been massively flourishing thanks to a 20 year old straight out of high school.

I'm guessing it's something that needs a lot of hard physical labor that good old Dad can't do anymore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quantumwell posted:

I'm guessing it's something that needs a lot of hard physical labor that good old Dad can't do anymore.

Tree stump removal.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Captain Hygiene posted:

This one is a little weird to me because of the repeated references to this woman's parents. If she was forced into the role of a medical caregiver early in life I can see how she would be resentful and not want to repeat that.

As written, her attitude sucks, but there definitely seems like more of a backstory here.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

Where did they dig up Newt Gingrich's old advice request?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

This one is a little weird to me because of the repeated references to this woman's parents. If she was forced into the role of a medical caregiver early in life I can see how she would be resentful and not want to repeat that.

As written, her attitude sucks, but there definitely seems like more of a backstory here.

Yeah, I thought that one was funny as written but it definitely has potential for backstory stuff depending on where it falls on the truthfulness spectrum.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Captain Hygiene posted:

At least they are figuring this out now instead of years down the line. What she is doing is lovely and I don't agree with it but if that's her line that's her line.

Can't even fault her reasoning as it sounds a lot like child free people who decided that because they were forced to parent their siblings from a young age.

Either way they should call it off since they have very different views on marriage.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mx. posted:

My fiancée (33M) told me (27F) that the gender pay gap isn’t real.

Imagine being in a relationship in which kicking out the partner is a valid tactic used during arguments.

How loving horrible is that dynamic?

Edit: although upon reflection, this thread has shown me that yes, some people need to be kicked out. Nevermind.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 23, 2022

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

The bit where she says “I had enough of those in my life.” would certainly lend this credence, especially as she specifically calls out Crohn’s/UC (though as someone with Crohn’s I’d hardly say it’s debilitating enough to need a long-term caregiver)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mx. posted:

My fiancée (33M) told me (27F) that the gender pay gap isn’t real.

i feel like this post might be bait to get redditors to argue that the gender pay gap is fake but i enjoyed it anyway

Did Reddit show up for this man like they did for the poop smeared ex?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Did Reddit show up for this man like they did for the poop smeared ex?

Surprisingly the thread isn't all that much in favor of him, mostly for his lovely attitude and mansplaining.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quantumwell posted:

Surprisingly the thread isn't all that much in favor of him, mostly for his lovely attitude and mansplaining.

He committed the ultimate sin of calling Reddit "fake news" so of course they can't agree with anything he says.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mustang posted:

This woman should just stay single and spare everyone else the burden of dealing with someone so tedious and useless.

Yeah, I feel like anyone with this view is just incompatible with marriage. Which is fine but just don’t get married because that is not what marriage is supposed to be about. It’s fuckers like this that are destroying the sanctity of marriage.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel sorry for her, because it seems like being put in a caretaker position at a young age has seriously affected her. At the very least, it's given her an understandable fear of commitment. She should probably see a therapist.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for refusing to meet with my sisters because my girlfriend told me not to?

quote:

My girlfriend(f24) of two years recently moved in(moved in 1.5 months ago) with me(m24) to my apartment room. I know it may seem quick, but I think it's an important step in our relationship. Ever since she has moved in, she asked me if it would be okay if I could stop meeting with my sisters(f26, f21) physically for a while. I asked her why, and she said that she would tell me the reason on a different day, but I was excited about us moving in so I didn’t press her more. My older sister only lives like an hour away from me and my little sister is finishing up college in the same state. If my mom and dad or friends come visit me, she doesn't seem to care, which was really weird.

I still text and call my sisters, and I do it more frequently since my girlfriend told me she preferred that I didn't meet physically with them. Last week, my older sister told me that she wanted to visit me, and I told her that she couldn't, and she asked me why. I froze because I had no idea what to tell her(saying covid issues would just be ridiculous), so I hung up on her. She texted me a question mark and texted me "what's going on dude?", but we haven't spoken since and I have no idea what to text back to her(what do I text back?). I’m also thinking of finally asking my gf why she doesn’t want me to meet my sisters.

What do y'all think is happening here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for refusing to meet with my sisters because my girlfriend told me not to?

What do y'all think is happening here?

GF is jealous, insane. Or comedy option: GF dated one of the sisters.