Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Someone make the Dune worm again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For those that are interested. Saturday is another NHRL event. Pretty sure it's the makeup event from early February that they cancelled because of Covid concerns!

They are also running a 1st time bots only event in May so Jamison Go will have to bring a different bot to win with... Although it seems Jamison Go is at least not running the Silent Spring 3lb bot as it's not on the bracket, not sure if he's bringing a new bot for the 3lb or not, he is running his 30lb Megatron though that is a smaller Sawblaze.

Only a month after their last event, so quite a few less bots for the event (60 3lbs, 4 12lbs, & 13 30lbs). The brackets can be found if you really want to here -> https://nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/Norwalk_Havoc_Robot_League

Their channel is here, they have the actual stream scheduled in 3 parts throughout the day.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChgAZxOWR0S3Q376oAodGjQ

Also a decent watch here on their 2nd channel, a little Q&A with the creator and someone he hired on to be the CEO of NHRL. They have big dreams for the NHRL series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEu4qIkZ3Ao

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well Matt Vasquez drove out from California for NHRL! They also have 5 cages now and is pretty much constant fights. (I think 4 cages is the main stream / judges and they have an extra cage with it's own judges for the eliminations)

Also a team up from Brazil that brought a handful of bots, not sure how many. They've already had 2 different 3lb bots that won their 1st match.

Another team brought a 3lb flame bot that shoot fire way longer than you'd think a 3lb bot would be able to have fuel for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It5MpH50dvs

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 23, 2022

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's fantastic! I got into NHRL from this thread and it makes me happy. I love watching the tiny bots bouncing off from each other, and Fluffy is an understated delight. And it's close enough to me, and 1 lb. bots are approachable enough, I'm almost wondering how to get into it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's fantastic! I got into NHRL from this thread and it makes me happy. I love watching the tiny bots bouncing off from each other, and Fluffy is an understated delight. And it's close enough to me, and 1 lb. bots are approachable enough, I'm almost wondering how to get into it.

Can start with a kit bot and get your rear end kicked, I suppose.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Well the Egg Beater style bots you see a bunch of people running are a kit available from a few places. https://www.fingertechrobotics.com/categories.php?cat=Kits+%26+Parts This is one place that has them. The 3lb kit with all the stuff is like $500 CAD. (Although that would be with 1 of everything and no spares...)

I'm not involved in fighting bots though, I'd like too eventually maybe, but I don't know... not much of a community in Nebraska to really get going with it.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 23, 2022

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chronojam posted:

Can start with a kit bot and get your rear end kicked, I suppose.

That's what I did. Fingertechs Viper kit isn't the most dangerous thing around but it's a good way to get started and durable enough you probably won't lose the entire thing. There's tons of 1lb competitions nationwide so you shouldn't have trouble getting arena time.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I just came across a little checklist for robot combat I found interesting enough. Not sure if it's amateur hour but here it is anyway:

https://makezine.com/2022/04/30/10-rules-to-win-at-robot-combat/

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's mostly accurate, if geared mostly towards heavyweights. Very few insects will survive a sledgehammer, for example.

The two things I noticed is that while he stresses their importance, driving and weapon testing aren't always possible. The weapon even on an ant can be dangerous enough you shouldn't spin it up outside a test box or arena. And definitely don't hit things with it. And robots drive very differently with the weapon spinning which means your driving practice might not mean much if it suddenly becomes very difficult to turn once you spin up.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Great Beer posted:

The two things I noticed is that while he stresses their importance, driving and weapon testing aren't always possible. The weapon even on an ant can be dangerous enough you shouldn't spin it up outside a test box or arena. And definitely don't hit things with it. And robots drive very differently with the weapon spinning which means your driving practice might not mean much if it suddenly becomes very difficult to turn once you spin up.

Weapon testing at that weight class is sketchy at best. There's a video on youtube from the team behind bloodsport where they shred some random office stuff in a parking lot behind what appears to be a strip mall at the edge of town, and even though they're relatively cautious about how they went about testing it, it's still pretty clear they weren't actually safe from being struck by debris.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea you definitely can't really test weapons, even in lower weight classes. The robots are incredibly dangerous machines! Very few teams are going to have a setup to actually be able to test their machines until they get to Battlebots. Although it also doesn't help that they get like 8-12 weeks notice once a filming date is set. So all the rookie & small budget (:lol:) teams are lucky to even get their bots put together and delivered to the event in time.

And here's a little Rusty action :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5E4UBkUk2I

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yikes!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yow. Hoping for a full recovery; that sounds gnarly, although hopefully there's a good foundation for surgical repair there.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Saturday (the 14th) is another NHRL event! Although this month they have restricted it to bots that have not competed before. Likely will be a lot more kit bots, but I'm sure some of the big names will bring some experimental designs in to make it exciting!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I really wish that they had the ability (read, time and money) to make their streams watchable after the fact. Like splitting each weight class into their own video and timestamping the whole thing. I'd watch more of the content then because it would be manageable, as it stands I look at a 12 hour video and just nope out of there.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I really wish that they had the ability (read, time and money) to make their streams watchable after the fact. Like splitting each weight class into their own video and timestamping the whole thing. I'd watch more of the content then because it would be manageable, as it stands I look at a 12 hour video and just nope out of there.

Well you're actually in luck, they've been trying to do this more. They also upload quite a few individual fights.

Although I guess it's still a long video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wGzIQq7tg

Also one of their highlight fights, what would happen if you have a robot rumble and 1 of the bots has an exposed fuel tank... I wonder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAi4wf7lYOw

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They are doing Battlebots Bounty Hunters, right? I'm pretty sure they filmed it...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

They are doing Battlebots Bounty Hunters, right? I'm pretty sure they filmed it...

Maybe not saying anything about it was a ploy to keep people from immediately canceling discovery+ at the end of the season and hoping that they then forget they're paying for it when no Bounty Hunters comes out.

Like 4 months from now they'll go "Bounty Hunters, airing in 3 weeks" and thousands of people will realize they gave Discovery $25 for programming they weren't watching.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 13, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well you're actually in luck, they've been trying to do this more. They also upload quite a few individual fights.

Although I guess it's still a long video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wGzIQq7tg

Also one of their highlight fights, what would happen if you have a robot rumble and 1 of the bots has an exposed fuel tank... I wonder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAi4wf7lYOw

I've already watched the Mixtape fight's they've posted a couple of times because they're insane. But that also highlights the issue I have, I want to watch the second Mixtape fight but I gave up after spending a few minutes trying to skip around the 12 hour stream, its just not possible to find individual fights. So I just went to find out who their second fight was against because I'd forgotten, and was pleasantly surprised to find that someone has timestamped most of the fights ;https://nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/April_23rd_2022#3lb_fights
So err, I'll just shut up now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ante posted:

I would assume at this point they would likely be dropping the Bounty Hunter's season during the summer months? But Discovery channel and Battlebots seem really good at keeping everything really hush hush so nobody knows what the gently caress is going on :lol:

The teams even only get 8-12 weeks notice before the filming dates! Which is why you get the untested rookie bots at the event.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They are starting to get towards the end of the fights for today. Quite a few less entries being new bots only and also being like the 3 month in a row with a NHRL event.

Also plenty of funny bots thrown in from the seasoned builders. Jameson Go teamed up with 2 other guys and they just put 3 Egg Beater bots together and without wheels, just using the force of 3 egg beater weapons for the drive... it was very slow and not effective :lol:

Also Joe of Team Smeeeee seems to actually be doing well with a crusher bot even though it's probably the slowest crusher ever.

Next NHRL is a 2 day event in July.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
That's always been an issue with crushers, you can have fast or powerful but not both.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Safety first and all but I want BattleBots rules to encourage way more dicking around and Bad Ideas than what we've currently got. Maybe give more weight limits based on ein percentages for weight and weapon. Base 100% on Endgame and old Blacksmith could theoretically have five times the weight or something

More jank more better

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

Safety first and all but I want BattleBots rules to encourage way more dicking around and Bad Ideas than what we've currently got. Maybe give more weight limits based on ein percentages for weight and weapon. Base 100% on Endgame and old Blacksmith could theoretically have five times the weight or something

More jank more better

Yea, the crazy nonsense bots are great with NHRL. I feel like they just wouldn't work with the Battlebots format, and also the expense of a 250lb bot makes it even harder for a team to put together a dumb bot...

NHRL though, is just amazing all around and they completely adore and celebrate the absolute dumb bot ideas and they are usually only 3lb bots and probably pretty cheap for the teams that already have all the parts anyway to build.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The insect classes are the best. I wish they'd give them a little representation on the show but I get why they don't.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

The insect classes are the best. I wish they'd give them a little representation on the show but I get why they don't.

BattleBots Kids insect weight fights give me a million dollars Discovery

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Gonna enter a real live Hercules Beetle with a spinner on it to get me that sweet sweet walker weight bonus

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if NHRL gets to that point pretty soon. They've grown so much in 2 years and they truly are in position to be the minor leagues to Battlebots. Especially with so many Battlebot teams actually coming out to the event to participate. Aren Hill was at the event this month and Vasquez was at the event in April. Ray Billings has been at a couple events with his GF's kid. And Jamison Go is there basically every event with a few bots. Also Ricky Williams of team Mammoth showing up to spend some time on the announcers desk.

I really think all they need at this point is eyeballs on their streams / youtube channel.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

That's always been an issue with crushers, you can have fast or powerful but not both.

You would almost want a 2-stage action. Something quick that clamps down, and then the crusher kicks in.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if NHRL gets to that point pretty soon. They've grown so much in 2 years and they truly are in position to be the minor leagues to Battlebots. Especially with so many Battlebot teams actually coming out to the event to participate. Aren Hill was at the event this month and Vasquez was at the event in April. Ray Billings has been at a couple events with his GF's kid. And Jamison Go is there basically every event with a few bots. Also Ricky Williams of team Mammoth showing up to spend some time on the announcers desk.

I really think all they need at this point is eyeballs on their streams / youtube channel.

Yeah definitely. Battlebots doesn't need to bring back all the weight classes but a side event of 30lb/LW/MW would be cool. HWs have gotten way way better, but the flexibility some of the builders get at the lighter weight classes was always cool.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

You would almost want a 2-stage action. Something quick that clamps down, and then the crusher kicks in.

Quantum did this a few years ago to devastating effect. But the rest of the robot didn't work so well.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Honestly, as fun as the heavyweights are, I kind of prefer the smaller classes. There's more of them because they're cheaper and more variation and weird ideas floating about.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Great Beer posted:

Quantum did this a few years ago to devastating effect. But the rest of the robot didn't work so well.

Yeah, it's definitely possible but you're usually introducing mechanical complexity and extra weight - not easy for something that's going to be slapped with a 200mph spinning hunk of metal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Doing some kind of all-star tourney

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1529417109356388352

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Honestly, as fun as the heavyweights are, I kind of prefer the smaller classes. There's more of them because they're cheaper and more variation and weird ideas floating about.

Yeah, Middleweight was always my favorite class to watch. Back then it was heavy enough to get real weapons on bots, but not heavy enough to put on enough armor to survive direct weapon hits. So much carnage :gibs:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FYI if you're thinking of trying to see this in person, the actual cost to attend the conference is $1500. :v:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I hope at least some of you watch For All Mankind on Apple TV......

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kloaked00 posted:

Did a moon rover get a wedge

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/vdjv4g/remars_bracket_revealed/

Amazon Re:mars bracket is up. Looks like it will be fun. If they stream it hopefully there's fewer technical issues this year

Kloaked00 posted:

No, don't add details. just post some cryptic bullshit and bounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Great Beer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/vdjv4g/remars_bracket_revealed/

Amazon Re:mars bracket is up. Looks like it will be fun. If they stream it hopefully there's fewer technical issues this year

No, don't add details. just post some cryptic bullshit and bounce.

Battlebots is featured prominently as the show a main character's family is watching in the most recent episode which takes place in-universe in 1992. Looks like this battle of Bombshell vs Complete Control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc