Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

Oh geez, for some reason I thought it was way lower then that.

Still weird for like Dragons though right?

Just means some of the oldest Dragons have been around since the start.

They are considered fully grown at 1000+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't Rich call out the relative youth of the world out as the reason Familicide didn't totally wipe out dragons?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Caidin posted:

Still weird for like Dragons though right?

I mean it's not always a traditional fantasy world

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Caidin posted:

The earlier ones didn't last very long but they've gotten better at it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

Didn't Rich call out the relative youth of the world out as the reason Familicide didn't totally wipe out dragons?

I think that meant relative to the real world, or other fantasy settings.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Elves, too, must go back like two or three generations tops.

I'm assuming the gods create the world with a bit of established history including the first people, because otherwise the creation of the world would be something V's parents or grandparents personally experienced.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm assuming the gods create the world with a bit of established history including the first people, because otherwise the creation of the world would be something V's parents or grandparents personally experienced.

ways to make TDO/redcloak even more angry about the general oppression of the goblins

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I imagine it was like a fresh game of Civilization or something and then the goblins got to be the barbarian camps.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They absolutely created the world with mysterious ruins to explore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr Pepper posted:

Interesting parallel with any standard campaign setting that leaves a lot of mysteries open about where exactly all these ancient ruins came from so the DM can make it work with whatever plot they have in mind.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dr Pepper posted:

There's probably a god who really loves creating mysterious ruins in each new world

And yeah, the setting is "like a D&D campaign" so it was created with a pre-existing history much like God planted all those fossils on Earth to make people think it had been around billions of years.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

The current OotS world was created at the moment of the very first strip. Everything prior to that, including all of Durkon's childhood memories etc, were pure implanted memories.

The world itself is actually less than two months old, in universe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

girl dick energy posted:

Interesting parallel with any standard campaign setting that leaves a lot of mysteries open about where exactly all these ancient ruins came from so the DM can make it work with whatever plot they have in mind.

For my homebrew setting I use the idea of predecessor civilizations who rise and fall on top of the previous civilization's ashes; which due to changes to climate and other reasons this means there could be ruins anywhere. Ideally I can flesh it out so certain kinds of ruins actually are more likely to have certain kinds of loot depending on the characteristics of the empire in question.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

oobey posted:

The current OotS world was created at the moment of the very first strip. Everything prior to that, including all of Durkon's childhood memories etc, were pure implanted memories.

The world itself is actually less than two months old, in universe.

Wasn't Azure City alone like six months?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neito posted:

Wasn't Azure City alone like six months?

Yeah, Roy was dead for 8 months. They've been a party for almost two years with most of that occurring in the comic itself except for the small bit in On the Origin of the PCs.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0720.html

That comic pegs Nale as having left the Empire of Blood roughly a year beforehand and we know he went almost immediately to gently caress with the party in the Dungeon of Dorukon.

Also we literally see the year change in Azure City and Roy says the next one is about 7 weeks out when he's having the conversation with Haley about how he learned about Belkar's impending death.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 14, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I hope Rich is okay!

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Zore posted:

Also we literally see the year change in Azure City and Roy says the next one is about 7 weeks out when he's having the conversation with Haley about how he learned about Belkar's impending death.

Dunno if the Azure year change counts, since I was under the impression that it was meant to evoke Chinese new year which has no bearing on the western calendar.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Dunno if the Azure year change counts, since I was under the impression that it was meant to evoke Chinese new year which has no bearing on the western calendar.

it still happens every year though???

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Azurite New Year is in February, the Oracle's prediction is based on the Northern Calendar. This despite the Oracle living in the Southern Mountains, which is Azure City territory. Presumably the prediction was based of Roy/Belkar's calendar standards because they were the involved parties.

Or Belkar lives through the Northern New Year, leaving Roy utterly baffled, before Belkar dies a month later of causes totally unrelated to their grand quest.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Belkar dies of alcohol poisoning at the victory celebration, does just enough to get to Chaotic Neutral and hang with Shojo and declines a rez, on condition that his corpse be made a monument.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I gotta ask, how many pages has Rich done the past 2 years? 20? less?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

I gotta ask, how many pages has Rich done the past 2 years? 20? less?

The last hiatus was 1189. 1190 resumed on February 3, 2020. There's been 65 updates (of varying lengths) since then. Looks like about 80-81 (there's a half-page in there somewhere) total "pages".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's entirely on par for a webcomic.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've been following it for a decade, what's one more between friends

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I understand why people complain - I get it - but personally I'm long past the point of caring about the update schedule. The updates will come when they come, or not. I just live my life in the meantime, and enjoy new pages whenever they arrive.

It's like watching a tree grow.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
65 updates over 2 years is about once every 1.5 week, a pretty reasonable schedule.

I just wish there was consistency with the updates.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now how many of those updates were recaps for the benefit of what'sherface

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

oobey posted:

I understand why people complain - I get it - but personally I'm long past the point of caring about the update schedule. The updates will come when they come, or not. I just live my life in the meantime, and enjoy new pages whenever they arrive.

It's like watching a tree grow.

A couple years ago I removed OotS from my webcomics I check for updates daily/weekly. If there's a new page I see it here or on twitter and it's a treat, instead of a constant disappointment.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Two? Maybe three tops?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Wow, you’re absolutely correct, this doggedly determined perfectionist who still releases a strip every two weeks despite chronic health issues is deserving of criticism and mockery for not creating his free entertainment quickly enough or in the exact way you want him to.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calaveron posted:

Shut uuuuuuuup.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's fair to include to recap events from more than a decade and/or one thousand pages ago. Not everybody has read the entire run of the comic 10+ times or followed read along threads full of nerds with encyclopedic knowledge postin a jillion words about every development.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Miura is dead, Togashi will never finish HxH and neither will R.R. Martin finish his books.

So I just enjoy what I get while there is stuff to be got.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean yes, sorry for being a dick over free entertainment, but it bums me out that it feels like months of comics have been recaps, but hopefully the pacing will pick up soon

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

I mean yes, sorry for being a dick over free entertainment, but it bums me out that it feels like months of comics have been recaps, but hopefully the pacing will pick up soon

They aren't recaps, though. Sereni had good points from her own point of view that are both logically consistent to her own morals and knowledge and she is a potentially enormously powerful ally. I'm sorry if dialogue isn't as exciting as beholder beams but it's still good and necessary for a coherent story as a whole.

A recap would be "here is what we know" "ok now I know and am with you". Sereni is providing an actual philosophical contrast to the heroes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

girl dick energy posted:

Wow, you’re absolutely correct, this doggedly determined perfectionist who still releases a strip every two weeks despite chronic health issues is deserving of criticism and mockery for not creating his free entertainment quickly enough or in the exact way you want him to.

I remember when he cut his hand, but looking at his wikipedia, I didn't know he suffered a chronic illness. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Calaveron posted:

Turn go read something else and just wait until you have multiple updates to catch up on. Or the book.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Every time I’ve reread a section famous for being slow, like early desert stuff or the kingsmoot, it worked pretty well when I could read multiple pages through. The overall content is still top tier, but having to read it in a serialized format sucks. But the comic is good enough that Ive been reading it on and off since the start, and consistently since they got to Azure city the first time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rich is very much writing for the books. I think he's generally pretty good at making the pacing work with the updates, but if he has to choose between something that works on the web and something that works in book form, he's always going to pick the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And it seems to be working out pretty drat well. Writing for the book gets you something infinitely more long-lasting; just check out how often people get linked one old strip and then have the rest of the day disappear to a reread.

(It’s me, I’m people.)