Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Amazing

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Are any of us draws if you really think about it?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1517825114959761408?s=20&t=r8PgZQCEmoQr02-5vWVBAQ

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sounds like all the performers will need to get inoculated and wear gas masks

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Not just doing the second highest buy rate in company history (number one being the return of a huge start who was gone for 7 years) but also the second highest non wwe buy rate in probably 23 years or something. NOT A DRAW.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 23, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

wow.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't believe anyone would be proud of inventing a middle school level word like "AEWsexual". It's not even clever, it's literally just two separate terms thrown together, and not even in a fun portmanteau kind of way.

The only marginally positive thing I could say about it is that at least it makes slightly more sense than AEWailures, which I'm still not sure how to even pronounce.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
you aren't supposed to pronounce that, you are supposed to WRAP IT UP AEWAILURES

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

he didn’t even invent anything, he just took LeBronsexuals, itself a very dumb insult coined online by very smooth brained sports fans, and put aew in the Lebron part

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1517927235822444546

as usual, these dumbasses have no idea what physical storytelling is

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is almost definitely just me letting myself fall for people being disingenuous again but i can't imagine not being excited for a match between two cool and good wrestlers just because the match is a one-off

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Hector rocks, he's my favorite Twitter guy because he's like married with kids and is a Christian musician with like some sort of following and tweets at all hours behaving like this lol

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think it is tough to be a clear-cut standalone draw these days as tickets are usually sold before matches are announced and assigning who individually drew a high PPV buy rate is never going to be an exact science.

With that said, it is still easy to tell who is a star and who still needs to be built up. Trying to come up with a perfectly objective ranking list of the "drawing power" of full time guys is a bit silly, as there isn't really anyway to rank them without relying on vibes. Is Ricky Starks a bigger "draw" than Powerhouse Hobbs? I couldn't tell you, but it is obvious that both guys are on a tier above say Serpentico or Aaron Solo.

If you place people on tiers, it is actually pretty easy to see who the draws are. If Adam Cole was replaced in his match on the last PPV vs Hangman, who would be needed to step in to keep up the same interest? Would Starks or Hobbs fill Adam Cole's shoes as a main event PPV draw? Probably not, but Mox, Jericho, Punk, etc could. Jade Cargill vs Marina Shafir isn't going to be a giant draw, but could you imagine if the main event was Red Velvet vs Marina Shafir?

It's crazy to look at someone that gets big reactions, sells merch, and is part of main events on shows that draw consistent strong ratings and then say there is simply no way to evaluate if that person is a draw.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Look, it's really simple.

If they don't put a guy on TV all the time, they're burying him.

If they put a guy on TV a lot, they're overexposing him.

If he's a former NXT guy and he wins then AEW has done a terrible job building their own guys so they had to bring in NXT guys for the pop.

If he's a former NXT guy and he loses then AEW are burying former NXT guys to get their own guys over.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

flatluigi posted:

this is almost definitely just me letting myself fall for people being disingenuous again but i can't imagine not being excited for a match between two cool and good wrestlers just because the match is a one-off

I dunno this seems like a weirdly widepsread belief in wrestling I see people say all the time. The idea that "random matches" are worthless and every single match needs to have a storyline involved in it or there's just no point to it whatsoever.

Like do these people watch NBA games and be like "I dunno why the gently caress the Bulls would be playing these guys, they don't have any personal beef at all! It's POINTLESS!" Do these people have no concept of a Sports League?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lamuella posted:

Look, it's really simple.

If they don't put a guy on TV all the time, they're burying him.

If they put a guy on TV a lot, they're overexposing him.

If he's a former NXT guy and he wins then AEW has done a terrible job building their own guys so they had to bring in NXT guys for the pop.

If he's a former NXT guy and he loses then AEW are burying former NXT guys to get their own guys over.

If he's not a former WWE guy, nobody knows or cares about him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if he fucks he sucks

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

sticklefifer posted:

I can't believe anyone would be proud of inventing a middle school level word like "AEWsexual". It's not even clever, it's literally just two separate terms thrown together, and not even in a fun portmanteau kind of way.

The only marginally positive thing I could say about it is that at least it makes slightly more sense than AEWailures, which I'm still not sure how to even pronounce.

I thought AEWailures was a tongue in cheek reference to "Obamailures" from back in the day and people were using it ironically.

I guess people picked it up from that and started using it seriously because Twitter is Twitter.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
nobody does the -ailures thing except goons

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Smackdown last night was in Albany, NY. Albany is like 150 miles away from the main Elite Virus infection of NYC, though it's also within a couple hundred miles of Boston, Rochester, and Bridgeport so it's possible the entire east coast has been infected with a pathogen that makes them not excited for back to back countout finishes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

nobody does the -ailures thing except goons

Wrap it up goonailures

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's so easy to build to a match especially if the two wrestlers are just cool. I remember a build in ROH between Joe and Morishima that was literally them trying to be polite and let the other one go through an aisle first but then they got pissed off that the other one wouldn't accept their nice gesture so they got into a fight

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I feel like some of these people's brains would explode if they realized the build to the vast majority of title matches in puro is just a dude who probably won earlier in the night coming up after a successful title defense and demanding a shot.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You ever think about the fact that "Baquack Obamailure" and the "Chris Benoit is dead" post came from the same guy?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think it's just a part of watching wwe first and foremost where everything is part of a storyline because they redo the same matches for the same plot beats for months

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pylons posted:

I feel like some of these people's brains would explode if they realized the build to the vast majority of title matches in puro is just a dude who probably won earlier in the night coming up after a successful title defense and demanding a shot.

Omega/Okada was great but it would have been better if Omega was angry about a shampoo commercial

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

WWE stans: hurr, so where's this "sports based presentation" you promised?

Also WWE stans: these matches are happening for no reason!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i think it's just a part of watching wwe first and foremost where everything is part of a storyline because they redo the same matches for the same plot beats for months

Its just rationalizing why its okay that wwe shows are about 40% recaps and video packages of what you just saw or saw a week ago

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://twitter.com/jeff_604/status/1517964507943149569?s=20&t=i191gbKnqpwr3gHmquiPgg

We are way past this argument

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you ignore everything that proves me wrong you will realise that I am right

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

That N00FaysataII has some interesting tweets, that's for sure.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Hector rocks, he's my favorite Twitter guy because he's like married with kids and is a Christian musician with like some sort of following and tweets at all hours behaving like this lol

culture warriors gotta culture war, it is simply their nature

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Guy with white man name "HBK" accusing people of racism

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought AEW sexual is a brilliant descriptor because enjoying wrestling is a reasonable orgasm substitute.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is that why you hornypost so often

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flatluigi posted:

is that why you hornypost so often

please find my most recent hornypost on this deadgayforum and note the date. I'll wait.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

coconono posted:

please find my most recent hornypost on this deadgayforum and note the date. I'll wait.

i didn't mean it to be a serious accusation, apologies (but you might want to take the 'i love titties' off your profile if you're gonna say this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

but I do love titties.