Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I don't get what you don't get about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

I don't understand the love for FF1. I just played the Pixel Remaster last week and it is the most insanely scatterbrained, nonsense design I have ever seen, especially when you put it up against contemporaries like Phantasy Star. Dungeons are full of meandering dead ends and hallways and rooms that have nothing in them, or if they do they will have five or six chests with utterly random amounts of gold and gear that's either been outclassed by stuff you found five or six levels ago or even a frankly baffling amount of plain Clothes armor even in the final areas of the game. I swear to God every few treasure rooms it was like I'd open four chests and get 1029 gil, 2047 Gil, 1120 Gil, Clothes, Monster, Monster, Monster, Monster, 1865 Gil, Potion, and then 6 of the other 9 rooms on the same floor would just be empty.

Fantastic soundtrack, though. That's the only good thing I have to say about it. And it's kind of a shame because I remember really enjoying the PS1 remake but I 100%ed this version and I was like I do not understand how this series even got a second glance after Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star were doing it right.

FF3 however kicks insane rear end and I still love it. I even loved the original Famicom one a ton.

I love Phantasy Star 1 more than I love Final Fantasy but if you've only played the remakes it's easy to forget that Phantasy Star 1 had a whoooole lot of messy design decisions that updates smoothed out. Like the dungeon design was a weird convoluted mess that you had to map out because so many of the tile sets looked alike, Odin was such a bizarrely designed character that he was weaker than the rest of the cast despite being a legendary warrior and guns were infinitely better for him despite getting a magic axe being a part of his story. It wasn't great about explaining where to go and it was much much easier to get lost in PS1 than it was in FF1 which actually does a fairly good job for the time of guiding players along.

I will still go to bat for PS1 being the better game by far but if I play it these days I always at least use the Sega Ages version which comes with mapping features and that alone is a tremendously massive improvement, whereas FF1 can be reasonably played without looking at a map.

I actually like PS more than I like FF and PS1-4 are overall better experiences than FF1-4. (Yes, even PS3. I prefer PS3 over FF3 though the pixel remaster version of FF3 at least makes it a competition. Which PS3 still wins because it has Wren and Wren owns.) But it's easy to see why FF was more of a success because as much as I love PS1/2/4, 4 is the only one that isn't a chore to play and even then I can see the lack of in-game documentation of what a spell does wrecking it for some people.

(That said if you played DQ1and FF1, I really encourage you to play the Sega Ages version of PS1.It really really emphasizes how frigging amazing that game was for the time.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 23, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Heath posted:

I don't understand the love for FF1. I just played the Pixel Remaster last week and it is the most insanely scatterbrained, nonsense design I have ever seen, especially when you put it up against contemporaries like Phantasy Star. Dungeons are full of meandering dead ends and hallways and rooms that have nothing in them, or if they do they will have five or six chests with utterly random amounts of gold and gear that's either been outclassed by stuff you found five or six levels ago or even a frankly baffling amount of plain Clothes armor even in the final areas of the game. I swear to God every few treasure rooms it was like I'd open four chests and get 1029 gil, 2047 Gil, 1120 Gil, Clothes, Monster, Monster, Monster, Monster, 1865 Gil, Potion, and then 6 of the other 9 rooms on the same floor would just be empty.

Fantastic soundtrack, though. That's the only good thing I have to say about it. And it's kind of a shame because I remember really enjoying the PS1 remake but I 100%ed this version and I was like I do not understand how this series even got a second glance after Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star were doing it right.

FF3 however kicks insane rear end and I still love it. I even loved the original Famicom one a ton.

That's probably the Wizardry influence shining through in FF1s case

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I played the SMS and GBA versions of PhS1, but I played them as an adult. It's definitely messy but on the tiers of RPGs of the time it's head and shoulders above FF1 in my estimation. Conversely I have only played remakes of FF1 with their quality of life improvements and I still find it crazily poorly designed

I am willing to forgive a lot of it since it's not like anybody was working from a pre-existing script at the time about what to do or not do when it comes to an RPG (FF3 by comparison had a dozen RPGs before it to learn from) but man I don't know how you play FF1 today and come away from it thinking it's anything but a rough first draft of the gestalt JRPG. Historically important definitely, maybe even technically impressive, but from a pure design aspect it's laid out like a Mario Maker level by a 10 year old where it's coherent enough to be playable but there's a whole lot of "you picked the right room, here's a boat load of treasure!!" in addition to a lot of blank space

I think a great deal of that too is due to it really trying to emulate a tabletop loot system where you might find a dragon hoard and get several instances of piles of gold and also some rope and a cool sword

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ff1 mages have a cool hat, wheres the cool hat in dq 1-3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

I played the SMS and GBA versions of PhS1, but I played them as an adult. It's definitely messy but on the tiers of RPGs of the time it's head and shoulders above FF1 in my estimation. Conversely I have only played remakes of FF1 with their quality of life improvements and I still find it crazily poorly designed

I am willing to forgive a lot of it since it's not like anybody was working from a pre-existing script at the time about what to do or not do when it comes to an RPG (FF3 by comparison had a dozen RPGs before it to learn from) but man I don't know how you play FF1 today and come away from it thinking it's anything but a rough first draft of the gestalt JRPG. Historically important definitely, maybe even technically impressive, but from a pure design aspect it's laid out like a Mario Maker level by a 10 year old where it's coherent enough to be playable but there's a whole lot of "you picked the right room, here's a boat load of treasure!!" in addition to a lot of blank space

I think a great deal of that too is due to it really trying to emulate a tabletop loot system where you might find a dragon hoard and get several instances of piles of gold and also some rope and a cool sword

I am not really sure what you mean there because that absolutely describes Phantasy Star as well. PS has a toooon of dead ends or confusing corridors or empty space.

FF1 actually stands above PS1 in that particular area because FF1 maps are designed with enough landmarks and unique design elements that navigating them is much easier than PS1 which has the same tileset for every area and was intended to be mapped out by hand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think the first person aspect of PhS1 makes it not stand out to me so much as it does in FF1. It feels more like I'm exploring the tunnels. The bird's eye view really makes the emptiness very apparent, I guess.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

chaosapiant posted:

I’m doing a thing where I try and complete all mainline FF games and their direct sequels. I just beat the PR version of FF1. I understand that FF2 is not many people’s favorite due to the weird Elder Scrolls-ish skill and leveling system. That said, is there a guide to building strong characters? I’ve only got three of the four party members now and I’m heading, I think, to pick up the fourth. Who should be what, skill-wise?

Also, FF1 still holds up. Pretty drat deep game especially for ‘87.
Here's one on Steam. Basically, pick fights with stronger enemies, like the captains in Finn, and you'll level up faster.

Bear in mind, your fourth party member rotates throughout the game.

I'd recommend deciding early on if you're going to build somebody to be a fighter or a mage. I tried to build Maria into a sort of black mage while also making her strong with spears, and I just wound up making her magic redundant. Guy had white magic and mastered Cure, so his magic stayed useful throughout.

Also, the more spells you have and the more you level up, the stronger Ultima will be. This infamously did not work in the Famicom version.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ff1 mages have a cool hat, wheres the cool hat in dq 1-3
I dunno, I'd say the jobs in DQ3 were hardly lacking in the headpiece department.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
all the nvidia list means is that everything on it is or was being worked on at some point

there's multiple contradictory things on it, like three different entries that are all for the Firaxis Marvel game (and one for XCOM 3 which I don't think is coming out any time soon when the team is all working on said Marvel game) and some games that have extremely non-indicative titles or are directly copied down with typos

So there's a good chance some FFIX thing in production, but whether it will ever manifest or what the gently caress it even is is all unclear.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Senator Drinksalot posted:

That's probably the Wizardry influence shining through in FF1s case

And, conversely, it's not like that influence is dead in modern gaming. Even within the limited set of people who don't even vaguely remember where the cool poo poo is, you're probably going to have a split between those who are more brought down by finding trash in a chest after they open it, and those who are more brought up by seeing it unopened as another spin on the Diablo/Elder Scrolls/Borderlands style wheel. (The truly naive to the game may even expect it to be actual random loot rather than just deterministic loot they don't know, as fixed-content chests are also something which is more JRPG convention than games convention.)

That said, 1 holds up because it's bite-sized and does a very good job of hiding its simplicity under busy-box systems that don't actually work--but that the game isn't long or hard enough to really expose.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Keromaru5 posted:

I dunno, I'd say the jobs in DQ3 were hardly lacking in the headpiece department.

I love the gag in The Adventure of Dai that there's a "fake hero" party and it's the canonical DQ3 party.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Keromaru5 posted:

We need a Dragon Quest Tactics ala FFT stat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I don't get what you don't get about this.

It's a really dumb comparison and the 2-paragraph justification was even dumber is all

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Warrior aside, all the female characters in DQ3 were way more appealing then their male counterparts.

Weird how changing class in that game straight up changes a person's body and facial appearance.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

IIRC, no one in DQ3 actually changes class. You recruit your choice of job/gender at the tavern, and if you decide you want a different job in your party, you can drop that character back at the tavern and recruit somebody else.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Keromaru5 posted:

IIRC, no one in DQ3 actually changes class. You recruit your choice of job/gender at the tavern, and if you decide you want a different job in your party, you can drop that character back at the tavern and recruit somebody else.

Alltrades Abbey exists in DQ3 and allows you to change jobs and names

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Well that'll teach me to open my big mouth. Was it in the NES version? That's the only version of 3 I've played.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's in the NES version, yes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the only job-changing thing later versions added was being able to change to Gadabout

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Keromaru5 posted:

Well that'll teach me to open my big mouth. Was it in the NES version? That's the only version of 3 I've played.

Good news, there's an HD2D remake coming!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I fear Sugiyama's zombie bones will rise from the ground, and demand the 3make launch with a soundtrack composed with nothing but Windows 98 sound-effects.

Even when orchestrated the soundtrack to XI was a failure, and so small too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is this “HD2D” term mean that I keep hearing?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

chaosapiant posted:

What is this “HD2D” term mean that I keep hearing?

Octopath Traveler style graphics.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Heath posted:

I think the first person aspect of PhS1 makes it not stand out to me so much as it does in FF1. It feels more like I'm exploring the tunnels. The bird's eye view really makes the emptiness very apparent, I guess.
The biggest problem I had with PS1 was the trapped chests. So every single drop could be a trap that does tiers of damage and there is a spell to check if it is trapped, just to find out you got 20 gold. Just give me a monster instead.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Warrior aside, all the female characters in DQ3 were way more appealing then their male counterparts.

Weird how changing class in that game straight up changes a person's body and facial appearance.
The NPCs would agree on that. One even wants to lose 70 years and become a little girl instead. I don't know if that is even a joke with Toriyama characters.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That old man NPC is in every Dragon Quest game that involves an Alltrades Abbey with class changing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alxprit posted:

That old man NPC is in every Dragon Quest game that involves an Alltrades Abbey with class changing

Isn't creepy old guy an anime trope?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a real life trope

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Prowler posted:

We need a Dragon Quest Tactics ala FFT stat.

Good news: there is one.

Bad news: it's a mobile only game with micro transactions

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hard disagree from me there. I love having a party made up of Goku, Master Rishi, Tien, and Bullma.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Playing the 3d version of 3 again on my Vita. Can't remember if shields are useless or not, seems that they indeed are as most jobs can dual wield weapons

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Stranger of Paradise’s job system and weapons are so fun, but the loot is so bad. Like, I thought it was already the most boring loot system I’ve ever seen, but I hate it even more now that I understand it better. The stupid item level effect on break damage makes every aspect of the system pointless when you have to upgrade your gear to keep pace with break damage often even several times during each mission. It also makes later parts of the story really annoying because you’re locked out of character progression since you’ve already got most jobs to the cap and the game won’t let you engage with affinity or the blacksmith in a meaningful way unless you do loads of pointless grinding for gear that will be replaced 20 minutes later. This is a good game, but the loot is just monumentally stupid.

On the other hand, I can’t put the game down because Ninja is too much fun, all the mages are too much fun, lancer is too much fun, thief is too much fun, swordfighter is too much fun, duelist is too much fun, breaker is too much fun and dragoon is too much fun too. Also every single weapon type feels awesome to use and I can’t figure out which one I like the most.

What kind of MP recovery strategies do people use? I really like red mage, but it’s just so MP hungry that I can’t figure out how to use it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Heath posted:

Octopath Traveler style graphics.

I’ve only seen screenshots and haven’t played it, so I’ll YouTube it and see what it’s about.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What kind of MP recovery strategies do people use? I really like red mage, but it’s just so MP hungry that I can’t figure out how to use it.

Lancet is good, especially when you’re using Tyrant, and Red Mage’s command skill lets you trade a bar of max mp for mp regeneration

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve only seen screenshots and haven’t played it, so I’ll YouTube it and see what it’s about.

Basically, really beautiful sprite work for the characters, landscapes are intentionally a tad blocky but well-textured and with a lot of strength put on the lighting.

The weirdest comparison I can make is that the areas feel like heavily modded Minecraft, if you're familiar with the aesthetic that creates. I mean that in the best possible way, mind you.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I can’t settle on a party in FF9 now that I can finally pick it! Im using Zidane, Steiner, Dagger, and Quina. I’m using Zidane for attack and steal, Steiner for attack, Dagger for primary healing, and Quina as attack and healing/buff support.

But now I’m second guessing myself because I feel like I should have Vivi instead of Quina for black magic attacks. I think I picked Quina over Vivi initially because I can mindless select attack most of the time with 3/4 instead of 1/2 of my party.

Any strong opinions on what I should do?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I can’t settle on a party in FF9 now that I can finally pick it! Im using Zidane, Steiner, Dagger, and Quina. I’m using Zidane for attack and steal, Steiner for attack, Dagger for primary healing, and Quina as attack and healing/buff support.

But now I’m second guessing myself because I feel like I should have Vivi instead of Quina for black magic attacks. I think I picked Quina over Vivi initially because I can mindless select attack most of the time with 3/4 instead of 1/2 of my party.

Any strong opinions on what I should do?

I'm honestly not a big fan of Vivi's gameplay and never use him when I have the choice. Focus x 4 and a good spell kills everything but it's a bit tedious. Quina has a lot more diversity in what s/he can do and is thus more interesting to play. It's also fun collecting Blue Magic.

Eiko is better than Garnet full stop because White Magic > Summons since Summons are pretty much useless in FFIX.

But that's just me. Do whatever you find fun/play with the characters you like most

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eiko’s pretty good if you’ve been doing Chocobo Hot and Cold, she’s a white mage with some summons (as opposed to Garnet being a summoner that can heal) but being a white mage in 9 is pretty good since Holy/Madeen are resisted by like one noteworthy enemy ever (Yans), can be easily buffed with a useless weapon slot, and shockingly a lot of monsters don’t like being hit with holy damage.

Imho it’s most fun to cycle dudes in and out though, I think there’s virtually no points after you can pick a party where the game doesn’t just assume you have all eight people there so it’s mostly for gameplay flavor.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Eiko’s pretty good if you’ve been doing Chocobo Hot and Cold, she’s a white mage with some summons (as opposed to Garnet being a summoner that can heal) but being a white mage in 9 is pretty good since Holy/Madeen are resisted by like one noteworthy enemy ever (Yans), can be easily buffed with a useless weapon slot, and shockingly a lot of monsters don’t like being hit with holy damage.

Imho it’s most fun to cycle dudes in and out though, I think there’s virtually no points after you can pick a party where the game doesn’t just assume you have all eight people there so it’s mostly for gameplay flavor.

I have been. Just got some crazy racket that boosted Dagger’s attack to 44, but the abilities on it are unavailable so I’m assuming it’s for Eiko. I think I’ll swap in Eiko for a bit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, FF9's damage cap (9999) is so low and easy to reach that I wouldn't count Garnet/Dagger's summons out that readily. She's a perfectly respectable offensive mage with a more diverse toolkit than Vivi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I have been. Just got some crazy racket that boosted Dagger’s attack to 44, but the abilities on it are unavailable so I’m assuming it’s for Eiko. I think I’ll swap in Eiko for a bit.

Yeah it mostly comes up in Disk 3 onward, but there’s a bunch of white magic only Eiko can learn and iirc she just learns white magic they share quicker too, like Curaga takes way more AP for Garnet to learn.