Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lammasu posted:

What's an ADV? I looked it up and didn't find anything.

Adventure game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Lammasu posted:

It's the Japanese 'super-genre' all of these games fall into, more or less. The entire thing is complicated, and the terminology has kinda diverged between Japanese and Western over the years. This video gives a good summary if you're interested in the JP etymology.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Lammasu posted:

Ay Deevs nuts

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It's not a VN unless you read text in a big box in the middle of the screen where the text is read from top to bottom, right to left.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

La Jetée is a visual novel

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It has to come from the visual region of Honshu

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

La Jetée is a visual novel

All silent films with intertitles are just kinetic novels on automode

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

La Jetée isn't a silent film. I don't remember it having intertitles either.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

TIPS in Higurashi are just a weird way to breakup sections that don't follow the protagonist's perspective.

Yeah It really through me seeing it pop up, it feels more like a proto Tea Party but worse in execution. Breaking up the first day's action like that just did not feel good and it killed my momentum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Higurashi is straight up a classical mystery in structure for the large part of it, while Umineko is only kind of like a classical mystery and becomes a story that's more about mystery stories, if that makes sense.

Umineko is probably the only time Deconstruction can actually be applied accurately to a Weeb viewed work.

Higurashi EP 1 Part 2

I do not remember what happened when I stepped away from this. Oh there was a murder at the dam, beavers at it again
Keep talking poo poo bout the Colnel and you kids gonna get Higurashied by me.

Maybe I should play Siren
That's okay, Rena can play in the trash, she is trash

Dam is a cover op, secret Umbrella facilities under the town

Hell yeah survival of the fittest, the weak should fear the strong
Welcome to the world of STR, we CHAOS now boys

Don't explain the concept of a game club to me you fools

gently caress off Mion I've never lost once in my life
Hell yeah. Fun has always been a buzzward, one with the soul of the samurai knows that all that matters is success.
The Penalty should be death.

Our lives are the only thing that we can truly lose, thus it's the only suitable wager

It's like Old Maid and Thrilling don't belong in the same sentence
Weak ho, go watch Akagi and come back

Hell yes now were getting the death games

Dumb gently caress don't memorize the loving cards, just loving cheat
I've the feeling this is important to seeing that the MC can read other people, and that I should be looking beyond the facade they put on.

Disguised card, doubled card. Someone isn't who they say they are, maybe twin. Plus we've got someone lying about their age. Which one?
Oh he lost, perhaps Kei overthinks things and misses poo poo in front of him. I should take some things that seem complicated at face value

The dam holding back the sea, sins of the village, needs to be flooded baptism style.
Their flirting is cringe as hell
Dumb as gently caress, this is all people dumping. That's what the crick is for

Himezawa as the apex traditional Japanese Village, and Colonel Sanders as the Encroaching Americanization

Finding Tabloids in a trash pile is some not great storytelling imo

Murders start tonight, Rena knows

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 24, 2022

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Gaius Marius posted:

That's okay, Rena can play in the trash, she is trash

Let's reexplore this opinion after you've finished Higurashi. :)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What is with Ryuukushi and drownings anyways

Perhaps the Marsh is metephorically connected to the demon world, another entrance to the Umbrella facility.
Maybe wer're in purgatory. The marsh leads to hell. Rena in her angel outfit can only advise and watch Kei.

"The only thing you can trust in is your own body!"
Mions a woman after my own heart. She could solve the riddle of steel for sure.

I talk about umbrella you talk about Zombies stop that
But the parallel is clear. The murder was just like this game. One person is it and forces others into complicity, and then them doing so as well. This also means Kei is a dumb gently caress whose gonna fall for a ruse instead of being out run.

Let me guess, Rena is going to die in this way, of getting her guts torn out. How lame

Roku means the thing my mom calls me to fix when her internet is down

gently caress off Rena

Women can also be perverted assholes Kei
Satoko probably our first killer

All this is a little on the nose
Wasn't expecting this game to be set in the Universal Century

Great, can't wait to see what Nurse Bendy poo poo rena's been through.
Hmm so one of the people in the group is an outsider pretending to be on the in

Hello fellow kids, It's me Tomitake the man wearing Dogtags and fatigues. Holding a camera
Rena's from Kanto, probably Vermillion city
Rena has a very high mainpulation score

Oh you cut off his arm. When you doing that to a real person

Rena Reina, split personality. Or perhaps compartmentalized identities.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MegaZeroX posted:

Let's reexplore this opinion after you've finished Higurashi. :)

nah GM is right, Rena is the weakest character in the Higurashi cast by a huuuuge margin.

E: that’s actually why I liked the first arc of Gou/Sotsu so much

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What the hell...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

nah GM is right, Rena is the weakest character in the Higurashi cast by a huuuuge margin.

That's a funny way to spell Mion

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

They're all good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elephant Parade posted:

They're all good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think George Ushiromiya did nothing wrong btw

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

That's a funny way to spell Satoko

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The way Hig is structured, you will a) form strong opinions on the characters, and b) feel ashamed of your words and deeds in another chapter

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tired Moritz posted:

I think George Ushiromiya did nothing wrong btw

wtf

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

George's only crime is being self-admittedly lame in a period that Umineko doesn't even cover

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
George is kind of repeatedly an rear end in a top hat to Shannon though this probably doesn't have any real impact on how the story plays out.

e) unless you think the game implies that George trashes Battler's letters to Shannon at some point

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 24, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rockman Reserve posted:

E: that’s actually why I liked the first arc of Gou/Sotsu so much
I didn't know this opinion was possible...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the issue with George is the age gap with Shannon, especially if you consider he said he was already interested 6 years ago. It kindof feels like a writing oversight given that the narrative never really brings it up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
....no? it's more the weird tone of George's chat with Shannon in ep1. Granted this could be read as a sort of flirting, and The first two episodes have - especially the non-Battler characters, be written less sympathetically than episodes 3/4 but idk how "age gap" comes into it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's a part where George mentions he got jealous when they all came back to Rokkenjima and shannon took more interest in Battler than George. George was 18 and Shannon+Battler were 12. Granted most shitposting about George derives from just not liking him.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Feels Villeneuve posted:

....no? it's more the weird tone of George's chat with Shannon in ep1. Granted this could be read as a sort of flirting, and The first two episodes have - especially the non-Battler characters, be written less sympathetically than episodes 3/4 but idk how "age gap" comes into it

According to how it's written, George was a 17-year old romantically interested in a 10-year old.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cyouni posted:

According to how it's written, George was a 17-year old romantically interested in a 10-year old.

What I mean is that the VN doesn't seem that concerned about this, and the emphasis is more on the weird tone that George sometimes affects with Shannon during the ring scenes, especially in the first two episodes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean I'm pretty concerned with that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I think people would be more understanding if the game was more concerned.

It not being concerned seems like that’s the problem

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think they just forgot about George and his backstory honestly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean I'm pretty concerned with that

what i mean is that there are in-text reasons for feeling weird about George's thing for Shannon (especially in the chapters that Sayo wrote) and that the "age gap" thing seems mostly extra-textual

I mean not that it's not normal to feel weird about that but nobody really brings this up including the fictional author

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
the thing w/ george and shannon is that yeah the age gap is never formally acknowledged (and i fully believe this is a flaw with umineko) but the novel goes a good job on portraying that their relationship has the exact toxic power dynamic that stems from a relationship that started between a 10 year old and a 17 year old

spoilers up to ep 7 (i have not read ep 8) george is someone who realized that he can't get girls his own age and is so jealous of his Thirteen Year Old Cousin becoming friendly with the family's Ten Year Old Servant Girl that he makes his primary goal in life to marry her, a child who is obligated to be friendly to him no matter how he acts because she has zero agency in her life

george does not respect shannon as an individual. at no point does he express interest in her own goals or hobbies. every time he discusses their future and their relationship it is solely in the context of what he wants. this is in direct and very intended contrast with battler, who builds a friendship and budding romance with shannon on the basis of a shared passion of theirs (mystery novels). shannon is an object to be won for george; shannon is a friend you want to spend time with to battler

and it does have a massive impact on yasu's psyche. right. like shannon is the perfect alter that can do everything yasu can't, for all of her life. she is the model servant who does all work flawlessly. and she's the alter that loves george, because george is her ticket off the island. its SO important that it is shannon in that position and not kanon, or beatrice. she's settling for him because she sees no other option

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MegaZeroX posted:

That's a funny way to spell Mion

i will not have you speaking ill of the old man

No Wave posted:

I didn't know this opinion was possible...

nah, Rena's fun in her own Episode and has some minor moments through the rest of it, but her characterization never feels nearly strong enough to override how bland and annoying and KYOOOOOOT~~~~~-obsessed she is. Out of a cast full of anime girls, she is the ur-anime girl.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ketchupface posted:

and it does have a massive impact on yasu's psyche. right. like shannon is the perfect alter that can do everything yasu can't, for all of her life. she is the model servant who does all work flawlessly. and she's the alter that loves george, because george is her ticket off the island. its SO important that it is shannon in that position and not kanon, or beatrice. she's settling for him because she sees no other option

There are no fragments where Yasu kills Battler, correct?

So I guess that's another -1 for George :smuggo:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

i will not have you speaking ill of the old man

nah, Rena's fun in her own Episode and has some minor moments through the rest of it, but her characterization never feels nearly strong enough to override how bland and annoying and KYOOOOOOT~~~~~-obsessed she is. Out of a cast full of anime girls, she is the ur-anime girl.

Full higurashi spoilers below:

Rena is pretty consistently characterized as the cool headed one. Most notably, in chapter 2 she is presented with an intense situation, and regularly quickly guides Keiichi from making a dumb irrational choices.

And of course, she is also characterized as being a devout follower of Oyashiro-sama, which of course relates to her actual backstory which you admit her is good. So good in fact that chapter 6 is the best chapter in Higurashi.

Plus, Rena's "normal" self is fine. The "kyute" mode includes her digging through trash, and generally plays off the others in a way that doesn't feel boring.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

The whole point of her development is chapter 6, I'm not sure how you can separate them. Like for me the whole payoff for Higurashi are the sections that are actually narrated from Shion/Rena/Rika's perspective and Rena's is to me by far the best. Kyute is just a recurring slapstick gag, she's an extremely serious person at heart. She implies she only does kyute mode because it's an easy way to amuse her friends that she can do even when she's thinking dark thoughts (which is very often the case).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 25, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Rockman Reserve posted:

I felt this in Episode 1 and a bit in 2, but she grew on me (and became a bit more complex) later on.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh I didn’t know World End Economica was written by the creator of Spice and Wolf. That made me way more interested. Got the first episode and the setting is really intriguing so far. Protagonist is an rear end but he’s also a kid and I’m sure there will be character growth later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bounced on it hard. Just nothing happening for too long