Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Is there a thread view on the Fractal Design 7 vs Meshify 2? The Meshify is supposedly better for airflow for obvious reasons but the temperature benchmarks I'm looking at don't seem to indicate there' actually much difference.

What’s your goal here?

Torrent is the best of the bunch.

Meshify 2 is probably behind that.

The define 7’s only real use case should be if you want a butt-ton or HDDs, or you want something very slightly quieter (I am the owner of a define 7).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Is there a thread view on the Fractal Design 7 vs Meshify 2? The Meshify is supposedly better for airflow for obvious reasons but the temperature benchmarks I'm looking at don't seem to indicate there' actually much difference.

Check out the Torrent instead of the Meshify 2. Computer Jesus has a pretty good review on it.

I am very happy with my Define 7 build, but I spent quite a bit of time tuning fan curves so that it is essentially inaudible at idle or low load.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I've had a Define R5 with Noctuas replacing the Fractal fans and housing an NZXT AIO (necessitating an open top) and MSI Seahawk 1070 for the last six years, and just put my new build (12700K cooled by Noctua NH-D15S, EVGA 3080 12GB FTW3) in a Torrent. The Torrent is easily the quieter of the two at less than a quarter of the distance (R5 is across the room while I retire it). That might be explained by thermal paste getting crusty and the mechanical noise of the AIO pumps plus lone WD Red HDD, but it also tracks with the thread consensus of a high airflow case beating a "silent" case that deals with a lot of turbulence due to doors and drive cages. The Meshify 2 isn't quite as extreme but based on those principles should work about the same.

That said, I've worked in a couple Define 7 XLs and love that case apart from the plastic panels on the top front of the PSU shroud. The Meshify 2 has the same setup apart from being able to pull the drive cage out from another angle. I'd say go Meshify 2 if you plan to go all SSDs, Define 7 if you plan on having spinning HDDs or really like internal 5.25" bays.

So I'm currently sitting with a R5 under my desk and it's fine other than the GPU (3060ti) will absolutely spin the fan up to max under load.

My aim is 'gaming computer under the desk, minimise noise, no other real considerations'. I'm planning to wait to see how the next set of CPU releases this year shakes out, will likely spring for Noctua case fans and I run entirely SSDs so no worries about HDD spinning..

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alchenar posted:

So I'm currently sitting with a R5 under my desk and it's fine other than the GPU (3060ti) will absolutely spin the fan up to max under load.

My aim is 'gaming computer under the desk, minimise noise, no other real considerations'. I'm planning to wait to see how the next set of CPU releases this year shakes out, will likely spring for Noctua case fans and I run entirely SSDs so no worries about HDD spinning..
As an A-#1 Noctua loyalist I can still say that Dr. Video Games was right and the Torrent fans are excellent. My temperatures nosedive at the pause menu of Cyberpunk, so it's definitely moving that heat out quickly, and I can't hear it at idle unless I put my head right next to it. I've tweaked the fan curves a bit in Argus, but could have gotten the same profile with Asus Qfan minus the hysteresis.

The only time I've distinctly heard that 3080 is when I was updating the firmware and it maxed the fans.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 23, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay, I don't currently have any Noctuas so I guess I'll take the Torrent recommendation (assuming nothing radical changes in the world of rectangular metal boxes in the next 6 months). Thanks everyone!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

GamersNexus is the only review outlet whose thermal benchmarks I trust when it comes to cases. The Define 7 no longer appears in their charts (too many cases reviewed, and it's too old, so it got pushed out), but it was always near the bottom of the thermal comparison charts for both stock performance and standardized fan arrangements when they did include it. Thankfully, it does appear in their Meshify 2 review, so you can see the direct comparison here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTW2KHGzbM0

Also, the standardized fan test replaces the stock fans with noctuas and it still performs badly there, so yeah.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 23, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I went with a Phanteks p500a and I think it's pretty awesome. Gamers Nexus also thinks it's pretty awesome, which is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G835LGHpeoI

My last build was in a Phanteks Eclipse case back in 2015 and the fans lasted almost 57,000 hours before one of them started making some noise. The one that started making noise was regrettably neglected for a while in terms of dust care, too, so take that into account. The 200mm front fan is still going strong in that build, though I replaced the others. I loved building in the p500a, best case I've ever worked in I reckon, love the cable management and it's so clean on the motherboard side now that it's assembled. It turns out I like RGB fans too - I guess my inner teen is not yet dead.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I'm a fan of Tech Jesus as we all are.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Shoot I just ordered a Meshify 2 compact, now I want a Torrent compact! Time to see if Newegg's return policy is better

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're both good cases! The Torrent is pretty neat, though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If the newegg images are right the white compact also doesn't have the glass on the side where GN was concerned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fractal and Phantek are always the 2 brands I am recommending to folks for cases, they make good stuff.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Shoot I just ordered a Meshify 2 compact, now I want a Torrent compact! Time to see if Newegg's return policy is better

Torrent abs Meshify 2 are close enough where it’s not a huge deal.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

Fractal and Phantek are always the 2 brands I am recommending to folks for cases, they make good stuff.
Fractal is the only brand I've liked enough to buy multiple cases from after going through InWin, Antec and Corsair. I want to say my first case was Enermax, but it's been so long and full towers were so generic back then that it hardly matters.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sticking a paperclip into two slots of a power supply to test it sounds like one of those "win a trip to the hospital" sort of ideas, but apparently it's so good an idea that the manufacturers recommend it.

So now culprits for computer not working are:
-A loose cable/pin somewhere despite me checking 5+ times
-Dead motherboard (it does literally nothing when I press the on button)
-The switch on the case is broken.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nothing nothing? no lights on USB devices, no boot lights, nowt? check your 24 pin (remove and replace), clear CMOS and try ram individually

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nothing nothing. No lights, no beeps, no fans. Which is why I tried the jank-rear end but apparently recommended "stick a paperclip in the PSU" trick (I'm assuming pins 4 and 5 are control pins)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
switch on the case being busted and clear CMOS have functionally the same solution, just bridge the specific connectors on the mobo as described in your manual. screwdriver will do it.

I suspect 24 pin tho.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The jumping pins is a completely standard diagnostic tool, provided you are jumping the correct ones

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I'm a fan of Tech Jesus as we all are.
I was surprised that even he goes into radiator mounts for the Torrent. Like, it's called the Torrent. Sure you can fill it full of radiators, but why would you?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

CoolCab posted:

switch on the case being busted and clear CMOS have functionally the same solution, just bridge the specific connectors on the mobo as described in your manual. screwdriver will do it.

I suspect 24 pin tho.

Bridged power pins, tried swapping the RAM chips, tried using only one pair, tried using only other pair (I have 2x 2x 16), tried changing order of RAM sticks.

Pulled out 24 pin, put it back in, realized it's a bit harder to stick in than I realize. Fiddle with it, get my hopes up, press button...nothing.

Next step on debug list: take a step back and get something to eat. Perhaps big, greasy burger: partly to de-stress, partly because I haven't had anything to eat yet today.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sorry you're having trouble, man, when those two drives failed and caused progressively worse issues for my system culminating in it not even showing the graphic to get into the BIOS I felt about as bad as I have mentally in some time at the prospect of $3000+ of computer parts potentially being hosed and useless. I'm grateful that careful troubleshooting narrowed it down and let me find the culprits to reduce that general feeling of malaise into something concrete and actionable and I hope that you too are able to resolve things and get your build working, even if it means sending off parts for return/replacement. The feeling of overcoming the trials will be sweet.

I'd be thinking either power supply or motherboard with what you've got going on. It is still an outside possibility that one of the crucial cables has arrived bad for you, too. Do you have any way to test a different power supply and cable setup with it? Standard advice to never use a different PSU's cables with a given PSU applies, they can be wired differently and wreck things, so testing in this case would mean using the whole other known good PSU & its kit instead to rule that out.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 23, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Next step on debug list: take a step back and get something to eat. Perhaps big, greasy burger: partly to de-stress, partly because I haven't had anything to eat yet today.
This is as important as technical skills when debugging: if your brain is running on fumes you're going to make bad decisions and waste time/effort. Good choice.

Which board and PSU did you buy? I'd be willing to pull up manuals and have a look.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
PSUs do go bad / are defective sometimes. Probably mobos too

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

This is as important as technical skills when debugging: if your brain is running on fumes you're going to make bad decisions and waste time/effort. Good choice.

Which board and PSU did you buy? I'd be willing to pull up manuals and have a look.

Got myself a buffalo chicken sandwich with fried mushrooms. Not the healthiest, but it fills the stomach.

The power supply: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F84FJ1G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are you getting fan spin or anything when you bridge the pins? It might not stay on for long as that PSU does have a zero rpm mode that will turn off under low load, but it should be on for a few seconds intially at least.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Torrent abs Meshify 2 are close enough where it’s not a huge deal.

Yeah but it looks cooler 🤣

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

When I short terminals 4-5 on the 24-pin connector the fans start for a split second. Otherwise, no response when everything is connected.

Disconnected GPU, SATA devices and all but 1 stick of RAM at a friend's suggestion: still no response.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Meshify 2 Compact is what I got and would recommend to anyone. Easy to build with, good airflow, lots of options, quiet, has a no glass option.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Pvt. Parts posted:

Speaking of UPS's, how necessary is a UPS for a modern enthusiast level build? The power went out while I was gaming the other week and other than my CS:GO settings fully resetting themselves it seemed like everything was OK.

I've always lived in places with lovely grid power but never invested in a UPS until about 4 months ago when I finished my current PC build and bought two new monitors.

So far my UPS has been through 12 events... You may really be surprised how often your electronics may need a UPS. None of the "events" were significant enough to trigger the alarm so I'm assuming they must have been drops of power that lasted a fraction of a second. Still though they certainly would have been enough to bring down my system and I'll never be without a UPS ever again.

Here's a short guide

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-rip-blu-ray-discs-to-your-pc

Essentially, you'll be using the MakeMKV forums to make decisions on which BluRay drive you need. You'll very likely need to flash custom firmware onto the drive, which may or may not require specific SATA cards (it's been a long time since I've been in this space, but it used to be required for sure).

Are they really that rare? The likelihood of full disk images (or just plain 4k MKVs) being in :filez: for every single thing he owns is quite high.

Most of the bluerays aren't SUPER rare, but he has a very specific interest in live action Japanese movies from the 60s-70s (and earlier really). I have been able to find a lot of these films *online* but never 35mm or 70mm film transfers which he has somehow (he tells me that he knows a Japanese bootlegger in NYC). Also a lot of the films have fan made subtitles that can be hard to track down even if a high quality version of the original film is available.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Here's a short guide

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-rip-blu-ray-discs-to-your-pc

Essentially, you'll be using the MakeMKV forums to make decisions on which BluRay drive you need. You'll very likely need to flash custom firmware onto the drive, which may or may not require specific SATA cards (it's been a long time since I've been in this space, but it used to be required for sure).

Are they really that rare? The likelihood of full disk images (or just plain 4k MKVs) being in :filez: for every single thing he owns is quite high.

Awesome, thanks for this. I wanted to get my gf some of the remastered giallo movies from Vinegar Syndrome for her birthday this year, but they only sell them (for the most part) as 4K UHD Blurays. Being able to rip them would be cool if we ever wanted to stream them with friends or something too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alkydere posted:

When I short terminals 4-5 on the 24-pin connector the fans start for a split second. Otherwise, no response when everything is connected.

Disconnected GPU, SATA devices and all but 1 stick of RAM at a friend's suggestion: still no response.
Which board are you using? PSUs from reputable manufacturers usually work or don't, so that Corsair is probably ok.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

I've always lived in places with lovely grid power but never invested in a UPS until about 4 months ago when I finished my current PC build and bought two new monitors.

So far my UPS has been through 12 events... You may really be surprised how often your electronics may need a UPS. None of the "events" were significant enough to trigger the alarm so I'm assuming they must have been drops of power that lasted a fraction of a second. Still though they certainly would have been enough to bring down my system and I'll never be without a UPS ever again.

Most of the bluerays aren't SUPER rare, but he has a very specific interest in live action Japanese movies from the 60s-70s (and earlier really). I have been able to find a lot of these films *online* but never 35mm or 70mm film transfers which he has somehow (he tells me that he knows a Japanese bootlegger in NYC). Also a lot of the films have fan made subtitles that can be hard to track down even if a high quality version of the original film is available.

Anything that’s bootlegged will not have DRM, which makes all of this is moot. Any Blu-ray drive should be able to rip bootlegged Blu-ray or DVDs using MakeMKV or similar. The DRM is the issue with all of this.

Alkydere posted:

Can you post your entire build on PCPartPicker or just links or whatever? It’s much easier to troubleshoot if we have the full picture.

The PSU is probably fine if you got a paperclip start and ram/mobo/cpu only didn’t work.

You’re looking at case, CPU, mobo as likely culprit. Case should be trivial to test once we know the motherboard. There will be a way to start the board without the case.

Once we know the board, and CPU, we can probably direct on a way to test which component is at fault, unless it’s a full bottom tier board with no diagnostic anything.

FWIW my money is on the board or an incorrectly socketed CPU.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Can you post your entire build on PCPartPicker or just links or whatever? It’s much easier to troubleshoot if we have the full picture.

The PSU is probably fine if you got a paperclip start and ram/mobo/cpu only didn’t work.

You’re looking at case, CPU, mobo as likely culprit. Case should be trivial to test once we know the motherboard. There will be a way to start the board without the case.

Once we know the board, and CPU, we can probably direct on a way to test which component is at fault, unless it’s a full bottom tier board with no diagnostic anything.

FWIW my money is on the board or an incorrectly socketed CPU.

parts:
GPU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WM28PVH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0886R2VJW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRSZ6SP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
RAM: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYILUB8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details (2x)
CPU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0883NG13L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
CPU heat fan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2W66ZB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
PSU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F84FJ1G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
HDD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2RR55Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yes, yes, I know solid state drives are the hot new thing, but I was going with what I knew and honestly just wanted this thing to work :v:

Ran through with a friend who was basically IT for the US Navy and we've narrowed it down to being the motherboard. PSU is fine, and swapping it out with the old one did nothing. So a bit of a bummer but the anxiety's died down now that I know what's wrong. So yeah, next project is to get that replaced. Yay.

Also that case: I was just digging through suggestions on PCPartPicker (didn't actually save the list though because I'm a derp) and it was cheap and fit everything else. 10/10 looks, excellent moddability and access...holy gently caress it's heavy due to the glass cases. Also kinda sad I didn't get anything with shiny bits with those glass panels.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SSDs aren't even new though, and they aren't any more complicated to install than an HDD. You're massively gimping your new PC for literally no reason. I don't understand.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That mobo listing also says it's a used part? Used and Amazon is two strikes against reliability.

But seriously; Dr. VG is completely right about your storage. HDDs are fine for bulk media (and actually great if you can get a few of them together with one of the newer file systems) but SSDs are really bare minimum for your operating system / programs these days and you can get a good one for $50.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 24, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Yes, yes, I know solid state drives are the hot new thing, but I was going with what I knew and honestly just wanted this thing to work :v:

Do not build a system without an SSD in TYOOL 2022.

You can literally get a 500GB PCIe 4.0 drive for less than $100

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Alkydere posted:

parts:
GPU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WM28PVH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0886R2VJW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRSZ6SP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
RAM: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYILUB8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details (2x)
CPU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0883NG13L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
CPU heat fan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2W66ZB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
PSU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F84FJ1G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
HDD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2RR55Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ran through with a friend who was basically IT for the US Navy and we've narrowed it down to being the motherboard. PSU is fine, and swapping it out with the old one did nothing. So a bit of a bummer but the anxiety's died down now that I know what's wrong. So yeah, next project is to get that replaced. Yay.

Also that case: I was just digging through suggestions on PCPartPicker (didn't actually save the list though because I'm a derp) and it was cheap and fit everything else. 10/10 looks, excellent moddability and access...holy gently caress it's heavy due to the glass cases. Also kinda sad I didn't get anything with shiny bits with those glass panels.

Unless you got all this stuff for seriously cheap, you need to fire your friend. Especially so if you paid the prices listed on Amazon.

10700k was released april 2020, and is in general not a great chip. $289 is an insane price. For comparison, the 12600k $266 and probably 25% performance increase.

IMO, if you bought all that from Amazon, I recommend returning it all except the GPU (and maybe except the case and PSU depending) and letting us help you design a build.

Just give us your budget and requirements (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc etc) for the build.

I’ll look at the board if you really want to troubleshoot this, but I don’t recommend it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. I have a stupid array of spinner drives, both internal and external, but those are exclusively file storage. Programs all go on my equally stupid array of SSDs. If your motherboard doesn't have an m2 slot then an SATA SSD is just fine and they aren't expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Listen man I don't mean this bad but that comp is rear end, your pal your research on what parts to pick has mislead you, if it is possible to return do please return some things and let us help you more before it's too late and you actually end up relying on that overpriced, underperforming garbage. And you can certainly trust SSDs, I have SSDs that have been in use for 11 years and still working fine. Sometimes things die, especially lower quality stuff to begin with, so it's worth investing in a good component there but it is a drastic handicapping of your PC to go with HDD only now. Also, Corsair SF PSUs have had recalls, they rebadge not make PSUs so they are not all created equal.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 24, 2022