Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Can't just leave us hanging like that. Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought this was pretty interesting and wasn’t sure where else to post it.

I have access to the PE of Command Modern Operations but never use it because I’m not an air or naval guy, and other than research for a paper on “Field Artillery in the Coastal Role” have not read too much on boat stuff. Anyways I was going through their databases, checking out the modern Chinese navy, whatever whatever it seemed neat. You know, impressive how quickly they built those two new carriers, taking a look at their new ASMs. PE has hypersonic weapons in the database but I barely understand CMO let alone the actual systems.

It turns out there is a huge Chinese community for CMO/CMANO. Like, massive forum, just on CMO, that has posters painstakingly translating not just the game - including decrypting the exe and database files to add localization - but translating the names of all of these western weapons systems, their descriptions, and then translating western reference books and papers too. Their reference book thread is pretty amazing, and that they found and translated all of this stuff on their own, wow.

I don’t know if Grogs are a thing in China, or if these are university students or whatever, but the work that went into understanding naval affairs, just to play this English language game with no localization, it’s incredible.

All of that to say, I would guess the Chinese people are really proud of and engaged with their Navy. It kind of reminds me of the 1910’s when there were books like Jane’s for regular people since the British public wanted to know every ship in the Royal Navy and the latest developments in ship design.

Forum is called something like The Operational Art of War, which is confusing since TOAW is already the name of a completely different wargame in English.

dudes rock

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It was toaw.org and moved. Not all of their old content is on toaw.net yet, and they use a weird Chinese wayback machine to post archived content from the .org. The issues is the links often break when chrome is displaying a page translated to English, and I can’t read Chinese.

Here’s someone posting all of the complex steps to localize, which involves a hex editor, a database editor, and a bunch of other computer stuff I don’t understand - https://toscode.gitee.com/LokiSharp/CMANO-CN-v1.14-b998.12

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought this was pretty interesting and wasn’t sure where else to post it.

I have access to the PE of Command Modern Operations but never use it because I’m not an air or naval guy, and other than research for a paper on “Field Artillery in the Coastal Role” have not read too much on boat stuff. Anyways I was going through their databases, checking out the modern Chinese navy, whatever whatever it seemed neat. You know, impressive how quickly they built those two new carriers, taking a look at their new ASMs. PE has hypersonic weapons in the database but I barely understand CMO let alone the actual systems.

It turns out there is a huge Chinese community for CMO/CMANO. Like, massive forum, just on CMO, that has posters painstakingly translating not just the game - including decrypting the exe and database files to add localization - but translating the names of all of these western weapons systems, their descriptions, and then translating western reference books and papers too. Their reference book thread is pretty amazing, and that they found and translated all of this stuff on their own, wow.

I don’t know if Grogs are a thing in China, or if these are university students or whatever, but the work that went into understanding naval affairs, just to play this English language game with no localization, it’s incredible.

All of that to say, I would guess the Chinese people are really proud of and engaged with their Navy. It kind of reminds me of the 1910’s when there were books like Jane’s for regular people since the British public wanted to know every ship in the Royal Navy and the latest developments in ship design.

Forum is called something like The Operational Art of War, which is confusing since TOAW is already the name of a completely different wargame in English.

This is kinda tangential but I like the story: the Cold War themed card-driven game Twilight Struggle had a big English-language community driven in part by community-made online tools (primarily in English), which developed into the usual formulation of various strategies and openings etc. But a few years back they put out an official adaptation on Steam that included Chinese language support, and it turned out that the game was also super popular in China and had developed a completely different meta strategy, which at least initially caught a lot of English players off guard

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Chinese having a strategy for the Cold War no English person anticipates seems remarkably on brand. iirc from the Eurasia thread, Chinese academics have done a lot of work on the fall of the Soviet Union. I imagine some of what they learned kind of diffused out to the public, which would mean that how they approach a game on the Cold War would be different.

Very cool, I had no idea that Twilight Struggle had a computer version, and that story was great.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

theres also a huge chinese fandom for the hoi4 post-axis victory cold war mod the new order. lots of long yun hype

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can find a fandom for anything https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1vA411Y7VJ

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The Chinese having a strategy for the Cold War no English person anticipates seems remarkably on brand. iirc from the Eurasia thread, Chinese academics have done a lot of work on the fall of the Soviet Union. I imagine some of what they learned kind of diffused out to the public, which would mean that how they approach a game on the Cold War would be different.

Very cool, I had no idea that Twilight Struggle had a computer version, and that story was great.

Twilight Struggle is sufficiently abstract that I don't really know if it's indicative of different historical or cultural attitudes per se. I'm not great at Chinese style but it's broadly focused on opportunistically grabbing victory points in favor of long term board position.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StashAugustine posted:

I'm not great at Chinese style but it's broadly focused on opportunistically grabbing victory points in favor of long term board position.
Proof positive that the Chinese have no sense for strategy and will shoot themselves in the foot before long.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Endman posted:

No nazis left to make good rockets for them

So the current crop of nazis is making bad rockets then?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

So the current crop of nazis is making bad rockets then?

neo nazi rocket designs are a bit of a step down

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Proof positive that the Chinese have no sense for strategy and will shoot themselves in the foot before long.

It did actually work very well against English style, although I think top players have sort of worked out a hybrid by now

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Pu Yi? I have no idea who that is.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rhandhali posted:

Pu Yi? I have no idea who that is.
Last emperor of China. Weird dude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyi

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Twilight Struggle is sufficiently abstract that I don't really know if it's indicative of different historical or cultural attitudes per se. I'm not great at Chinese style but it's broadly focused on opportunistically grabbing victory points in favor of long term board position.

huh, that actually makes sense since it forces your opponent to react or lose on victory points

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

huh, that actually makes sense since it forces your opponent to react or lose on victory points

It makes sense as both sides, because as the US if you get a bunch of early VPs you're basically guaranteed to win because the endgame is so heavily in your favor and if you're the USSR you can end the game before the midgame because they have so many points early on

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StashAugustine posted:

It did actually work very well against English style, although I think top players have sort of worked out a hybrid by now
Real life is not a game.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fish of hemp posted:

Are you really saying that you would have preferred Eurofighter?

I would have preferred they didn't spend the money on MIC grift. I don't know much about the Eurofighter beyond what I learned playing TFX in the '90s, but at the time the F-35 was most notable for spontaneous combustion, problems with rain and being the most expensive military project in history. :shrug:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm glad Canada is bad at military procurement because I welcome America and all it's running lapdogs losing WW3.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s more that we are uniquely susceptible to diplomatic pressure

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

that's a weird way of putting "spineless lapdog"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it’s fine, as america crumbles canada will simply become a vassal state to china

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn't the Canadian government keep getting sued by arms manufacturers to redo arms selection procedures? In a properly functioning state the government just buys whatever arms it chooses.

In other news, the USN wants to scrap it's Ticonderoga class cruisers and use Arleigh Burkes in their role. The former can reach Taiwan from Hawaii without refueling while the later cannot. Just completely psychologically unprepared for a war with anything approaching a peer because they've never fought one.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/navy-plans-to-rid-itself-of-cruisers-in-just-five-years

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

you can refuel underway tho.

I’ve done it, it’s called an “unrep”

Weka
May 5, 2019

See my comment about facing a peer in a war. Heck even counting on Hawaii as a refueling station seems doubtful.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There were a bunch of papers and articles about the USN having a range problem and being unprepared in the defence press but I don’t understand boat stuff

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

if you think about it boats are just large self propelled guns that travel on water instead of land

Weka
May 5, 2019

Maybe 100 years ago, grandpa.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

See my comment about facing a peer in a war. Heck even counting on Hawaii as a refueling station seems doubtful.

all those PREPOs can unrep. the range thing isn’t as bad as it seems.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

speaking of PREPOs when I went looking on AIS for the current thing to statisfy my curiosity, I noticed that when they turn off AIS several put NUNYA as their destination.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oh unrelated marine traffic is still tracking all the RUS commercial stuff that turned AIS off. I don’t know if they are putting it on the website though and I’m too lazy to check.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

if you think about it boats are just large self propelled guns that travel on water instead of land

The US should revive the USS Alaska

And then after that the Montana-class battleships

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

all those PREPOs can unrep. the range thing isn’t as bad as it seems.

Seems like the ability to do that might get pretty quickly degraded in a shooting war.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

theres also a huge chinese fandom for the hoi4 post-axis victory cold war mod the new order. lots of long yun hype

any game with modding by definition will have a huge chinese fandom because of the large market and necessary translation. Its not just HOI.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danann posted:

battleships are just tank destroyers with fancy marketing :hmmyes:

Weka
May 5, 2019

Battleships are tanks, missile destroyers are tank destroyers.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

grognards reproduce asexually and spontaneously appear in any country introduced to map games

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

I have all of Friedman’s books on naval guns and gunnery, but I meant more the knots and semaphore flags.

Anyways,

The U.S. Navy’s Range Has Diminished Dangerously, America's Carriers Are Being Hamstrung By A Range Problem, CARRIER WOES: THE NAVY’S FIGHTERS CAN’T REACH CHINA, GRADUALLY AND THEN SUDDENLY: EXPLAINING THE NAVY’S STRATEGIC BANKRUPTCY, On the Eve of Destruction, The Art of Unreasonable Expectations, Forfeiting the Away Game: The Surface Navy’s Diminished Range, Chinese Maritime Strike Capabilities and the Fragility of U.S. Sea Lines of Communication Along the First Island Chain

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We need nuclear powered fighter jets. like those doom missiles that belch out radiation everywhere as they fly around for 100 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

Seems like the ability to do that might get pretty quickly degraded in a shooting war.

what nations navy is going to do that in the middle of the pacific?

edit to be more clear I really don’t disagree that this is not a problem actually. it’s just everybody else’s lack of bluewater capability

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Apr 28, 2022