Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Captain Tightpants posted:

I've been planning our WDW for about 9 months now and we're finally heading there Tuesday. I've been really nervous with the crowds and Genie+, and don't have anyone to talk to about it. Will Genie+/ILL be ultimately worth it for six people? I figured I would get it for MK and HS one day each, and buy ILL for each available ride in all four parks. I've been watching a lot of videos from DFB and All Ears, and those are definitely helpful, but haven't fully quashed my fears. If someone wants to help a gal out with current advice or tips, it would be greatly appreciated

I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth.

First, here's their list of rides with LL and G+ for reference:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/genie/lightning-lane/#drawer-card-dak

Right now, some rides that were LL are now just in regular G+ so that has some benefit.

Genie+ is probably not necessary for Animal Kingdom or Epcot but I would say it's absolutely necessary for MK and DHS.

That said, if you don't have too many people in your party, like 1 or 2 people. Sure. Go for it and buy it for AK and Epcot. It's 30 bucks for the two of you. However, if you're not going to do Genie+ I highly recommend you rope drop both parks.

I think the easiest way to explain is just to show what I'd plan if I were doing it.

AK: Buy LL for Flight of Passage and then do literally whatever you want because there's not too many rides and you should have no problem doing all the stuff you want to do.This is especially true if you buy G+
Alternately, you can rope drop FOP and then do Riverboat since you're right there. Then do whatever you want.

Epcot: Buy LL for Remy.
-If you buy Genie+ you can do literally whatever you want based around your reservations. Frozen is probably the one you want to book asap. That's probably the one to fill up fastest
-If you don't buy G+, rope drop Frozen and then do whatever you want.

Magic Kingdom: Buy LL for Seven Dwarves.
After that just book rides based on what you want to do. When I was there in November, Jungle Cruise actually filled up pretty quick but that might have been due to the movie and their Christmas themed variant of the ride.
I would suggest rope dropping and knocking out Peter Pan and then pick a side. Like, you could go into Tomorrowland and knock out a few rides in there. Or go the other way into Frontierland/Adventure land and knock out stuff in there. MK has so much to do. It's a two day park, really.

Hollywood Studios: Buy LL for Rise of the Resistance. You have to buy these immediately when the clock strikes 7. Good fuckin luck. If not, be prepared to sit in line for a couple hours. Your day will sort of revolve around this ride, either because you're in line forever, or because you need to plan around your time slot.

I'd rope drop Mickey Mouse.

Once you're able to immediately book a G+ slot for Slinky Dog Dash. This ride will be fully booked in a couple hours virtually immediately so you definitely want to do this as soon as possible. Other than that, you're going to be booking stuff based on what's available and what you want to do.

Another tip: If you want, don't be afraid to leverage single rider lines. You will miss out on some of the pre-ride stuff for rides but if that doesn't matter to you it's great way to beat the lines.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Once you're able to immediately book a G+ slot for Slinky Dog Dash. This ride will be fully booked in a couple hours so you definitely want to do this as soon as possible.

In February Slinky Dog was booked for the entire day by 7:05. You gotta be really fast to get both RoR and Slinky Dog booked

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

In February Slinky Dog was booked for the entire day by 7:05. You gotta be really fast to get both RoR and Slinky Dog booked

Thanks. I edited my post :v:

What's the deal with this ride? Does it have a low ride capacity? Prone to breakdowns?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hollywood Studios: Buy LL for Rise of the Resistance. Your day will sort of revolve around this ride, either because you're in line forever, or because you need to plan around your time slot.

or because that bitch goes down every 20 minutes

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks. I edited my post :v:

What's the deal with this ride? Does it have a low ride capacity? Prone to breakdowns?

and it's outdoors so whenever there's a dream of lightning, it goes down and it's down until the track is dry enough to run it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My 50-year old cousin and his 80-year old mother were in SoCal for a short vacation and spent all day Friday at Disneyland. They didn't mean to, but they planned their one day in the park to be the day that MSEP came back and all those sipper cup things went on sale. It was crazy busy, the lines for popcorn stands were really long, and it was hard for my great-aunt to navigate the crowds in her scooter. I was bemused by their complaints, as I am a rather seasoned Disneyland visitor and that stuff is just a mild annoyance to me, but we got out of Disneyland when we could hop to DCA and tried to avoid the parade/WOC crowds as best we could.

But what really bummed them out was how hard it was to navigate Genie+ and her DAS pass. The app and the Lightning Lane system was simply overwhelming to them. I would ask him if he had booked another pass, and he stared at me blankly before remembering his phone in his pocket. He would then browse the list of recommendations and random times offered and often he simply gave up. I tried to offer to help him, but I think he was just upset that the whole process was so complicated. He was there to enjoy himself and attend to his mother, but figuring out which rides were DAS friendly and when/how to book passes and navigate the park was just too much. It sucked the joy out of his day.

I didn't want to press him about it, he is simply a different kind of Disney vacationer than I am. I tried to gently steer him towards stuff with no lines or easy to access DAS stuff like Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise, but even simple places like Star Tours were overwhelmed with people and scooters and miscommunication between castmembers and they just felt like giving up. It did make me wonder how many folks who visit the parks buy stuff like Genie+ and then give up if they don't understand it or if they just can't book the stuff they want. I highly doubt my family members got much value out of the app, and I marvel at how much cash Disney is racking in without any effort.

After Friday's crowds, I was curious about park capacity. Apparently there are a lot of online complaints about the fact they shut down admission to Disneyland a few times on Friday night. People are pissed at the idea that the parks would be over-capacity even if they have a reservation. I think the hoops people have to jump through nowadays is insane (buy a ticket, and also make a reservation, and also hope the park isn't at capacity when you get there) and it doesn't bode well for the summer. Also the turtle sipper thing is sold out "until summer" and people are very upset.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

The fastpass video is good but IMO the episodes in the third season about Walt’s inspirations leading up to the E.P.C.O.T. plans are his best work. It’s a very fair assessment of something that often gets blown out of proportion to either prove that Walt was a genius or a maniac. Also doesn’t mince words that it likely would not have worked because it would have required a level of state control that would make China seem quaint

Also the long series of episodes about Michael Eisner's rise and fall. It fully puts in perspective just who he was as a person and what made the Eisner era of Disney what it was.

Captain Tightpants
Dec 26, 2006

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth.

First, here's their list of rides with LL and G+ for reference:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/genie/lightning-lane/#drawer-card-dak

Right now, some rides that were LL are now just in regular G+ so that has some benefit.

Genie+ is probably not necessary for Animal Kingdom or Epcot but I would say it's absolutely necessary for MK and DHS.

That said, if you don't have too many people in your party, like 1 or 2 people. Sure. Go for it and buy it for AK and Epcot. It's 30 bucks for the two of you. However, if you're not going to do Genie+ I highly recommend you rope drop both parks.

I think the easiest way to explain is just to show what I'd plan if I were doing it.

AK: Buy LL for Flight of Passage and then do literally whatever you want because there's not too many rides and you should have no problem doing all the stuff you want to do.This is especially true if you buy G+
Alternately, you can rope drop FOP and then do Riverboat since you're right there. Then do whatever you want.

Epcot: Buy LL for Remy.
-If you buy Genie+ you can do literally whatever you want based around your reservations. Frozen is probably the one you want to book asap. That's probably the one to fill up fastest
-If you don't buy G+, rope drop Frozen and then do whatever you want.

Magic Kingdom: Buy LL for Seven Dwarves.
After that just book rides based on what you want to do. When I was there in November, Jungle Cruise actually filled up pretty quick but that might have been due to the movie and their Christmas themed variant of the ride.
I would suggest rope dropping and knocking out Peter Pan and then pick a side. Like, you could go into Tomorrowland and knock out a few rides in there. Or go the other way into Frontierland/Adventure land and knock out stuff in there. MK has so much to do. It's a two day park, really.

Hollywood Studios: Buy LL for Rise of the Resistance. You have to buy these immediately when the clock strikes 7. Good fuckin luck. If not, be prepared to sit in line for a couple hours. Your day will sort of revolve around this ride, either because you're in line forever, or because you need to plan around your time slot.

I'd rope drop Mickey Mouse.

Once you're able to immediately book a G+ slot for Slinky Dog Dash. This ride will be fully booked in a couple hours virtually immediately so you definitely want to do this as soon as possible. Other than that, you're going to be booking stuff based on what's available and what you want to do.

Another tip: If you want, don't be afraid to leverage single rider lines. You will miss out on some of the pre-ride stuff for rides but if that doesn't matter to you it's great way to beat the lines.

This is perfect, thank you so much. It's about what I was thinking and what I've seen generally recommended. Is Genie+ a day of add on? While I'm adding that, could someone else in my party be buying ILL at the same time?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Captain Tightpants posted:

This is perfect, thank you so much. It's about what I was thinking and what I've seen generally recommended. Is Genie+ a day of add on? While I'm adding that, could someone else in my party be buying ILL at the same time?

You can add it to your tickets ahead of time for the whole package. Not sure if you can do it on the site after you've done everything but you can call them and add it on. Or you can buy it per day at starting at midnight of the day for yourself or whoever else's tickets you can manage.

Someone else in your party can buy ILL but will absolutely cause issues if you're trying to do it at the same time, so don't do this for those 7am ROR rushes because you'll both get hosed.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You can add Genie+ on a la carte by the day at midnight on the date you want to use it but if you add it to your tickets ahead of your trip it must be for the full length of the ticket.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Given how much time Seth Myers spent on DeSantis v Disney, I think someone important at NBCUniversal is mad about paying 24% more property tax on Uni Orlando to pay for WDW's maintenance.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Booked DL today for May 22, 23 and 24 before I work SW Celebration. Stoked to be back

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I wonder if someone very smart at Disney decided a long time ago to set up the tax rates and bond structure as a failsafe.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1518897498739429380

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMDMBP0hHQ

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a question:

I bought all my work crew's DL tickets and I'm basically coordinating the whole thing because they have never been. Their goal is as much Star Wars as possible. I haven't been to any park since pre-pandemic so I'm not familiar with reservations and such, but I bought them all park hopper. We have Mon and Tues. On Mon, only DCA is available as a starting park, so I chose DCA starting on Monday and DL starting on Tues. If I were to get like any reservations for stuff on Monday the morning-of, like ROTR, cantina etc. Are we allowed to go to DL or is it basically we're SOL?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dren posted:

I wonder if someone very smart at Disney decided a long time ago to set up the tax rates and bond structure as a failsafe.

It was very smart of them to do and has potentially invalidate what DeSantis did just by itself.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

chitoryu12 posted:

It was very smart of them to do and has potentially invalidate what DeSantis did just by itself.

Funny you should mention that

Vampire Panties posted:

Some content for a doublepost. Seems like Desantis can't cancel Disney after all:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...-new-statement/

quote:

In authorizing Reedy Creek to issue bonds, the Florida legislature included a remarkable statement—included in Reedy Creek’s bond offerings—regarding its own promise to bondholders: “The State of Florida pledges to the holders of any bonds issued under this Act that it will not limit or alter the rights of the District to own, acquire, construct, reconstruct, improve, maintain, operate or furnish the projects or to levy and collect the taxes, assessments, rentals, rates, fees, tolls, fares and other charges provided for herein … until all such bonds together with interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with any action or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are fully met and discharged.”

…In case it was not obvious, dissolving Reedy Creek “limited” and “altered” its ability to improve and maintain its project and collect its various charges and taxes, and thus Florida would be violating its pledge to bondholders by dissolving Reedy Creek. However, even without that explicit language, the bill dissolving Reedy Creek would have problems under contracts clauses of the Florida and U.S. constitutions.
I had no idea that bonds work both ways.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Very first guest to scan into Hollywood Studios today and ride ROTR before park open (here for an event and that was part of our thing)

Seeing Hollywood Boulevard just be empty and vibe on the music was just so lovely.

Plus got to visit part of the MK utilidors yesterday and finally can check that off the Disney wish list.

For parks that are greyed out on the calendar, it’s very enjoyable this week. Though I pulled a rookie move and wore the wrong shoes for our Capture the Moment in Epcot last night and I’ve got two monster blisters on ththe tops of both pinky toes unfortunately.

Stacked all of our LL today so we have a pretty good evening planned across HS/MK.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Here's a question:

I bought all my work crew's DL tickets and I'm basically coordinating the whole thing because they have never been. Their goal is as much Star Wars as possible. I haven't been to any park since pre-pandemic so I'm not familiar with reservations and such, but I bought them all park hopper. We have Mon and Tues. On Mon, only DCA is available as a starting park, so I chose DCA starting on Monday and DL starting on Tues. If I were to get like any reservations for stuff on Monday the morning-of, like ROTR, cantina etc. Are we allowed to go to DL or is it basically we're SOL?

I am not sure but I assume that any reservation or LL you make would have after 1 or 2 (whatever time you can park hop).

For the Cantina, if your trip is next week, I doubt you'd be able to get a reservation now anyway. You'd have to go standby. I would recommend that whatever day you're doing the Cantina, to go get on the list immediately upon park entry.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Anya posted:

Plus got to visit part of the MK utilidors yesterday and finally can check that off the Disney wish list.

I hope you enjoyed the lovely stench of the fart tunnels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are fart tunnels? Dang, now I'm extra sorry we didn't book a tour. What are the acoustics like?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I hope you enjoyed the lovely stench of the fart tunnels.

Haha I was going to say, Tunnel Juice stays with you forever (but they never bring guests outside of that sanitized hallway)

Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is back August 12!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

OK this is annoying as hell. I got everybody on my work team starting the same day at Disneyland until the last ticket. They have to start at DCA. Will a Disney rep like hook me up if I call? That's super dumb. We all only have one day.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Cais posted:

Any word on if it'll be returning to what it was pre-pandemic?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Doronin posted:

Any word on if it'll be returning to what it was pre-pandemic?

I assume so or they would have continued with the alternate event name I think.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

OK this is annoying as hell. I got everybody on my work team starting the same day at Disneyland until the last ticket. They have to start at DCA. Will a Disney rep like hook me up if I call? That's super dumb. We all only have one day.

Maybe? At this point your only option is to call. The only other option would be to hit up guest services at the park asap when you get there.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I wanna do Oogie Boogie this year. It looks like so much fun

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Oogie boogie was amazing when we went. The trick or treat stations being stages for lesser seen characters was great. There was a Sid face actor that was basically just roasting everyone in line.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that someone here said they were using Sunshine Flyer to get to MCO.

Was it alright in the end?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I used it. It was okay. The staff at the hotel didn't really know much about it, and we hosed up by not realising that the time you booked isn't the time they actually run the bus at. Didn't matter much in the end because our flight was four or five hours delayed anyway though :shrug:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, it was fine, though somewhat unprofessional. Your booking time doesn't mean poo poo, it just gives them a vague idea of how many people to expect.
They had to put just us 2 on a single bus from airport to wilderness Lodge.

If we go again, I'd probably stick with Mears since there doesn't appear to be any difference except that Mears seems better established.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

Haha I was going to say, Tunnel Juice stays with you forever (but they never bring guests outside of that sanitized hallway)

You ever have it drip on you? No shower can fix that.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://wdwnt.com/2022/04/former-nba-experience-to-become-limited-time-star-wars-vr-experience-at-disney-springs/

L o l also stop with the star wars

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They're not stopping with the Star Wars until they can no longer print money from it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you look at the related articles this has been "coming soon" since 2020, so why would they stop a thing they'd already had ready to go?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Arquinsiel posted:

If you look at the related articles this has been "coming soon" since 2020, so why would they stop a thing they'd already had ready to go?

Coming soon was the Disneyland one

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually digging into it it seems to have been an at-home VR thing initially. Did it ever actually release? I wouldn't put it past them to just use the exact same thing to take advantage of how rare VR is still.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The Void was awesome, more Star Wars VR please.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually digging into it it seems to have been an at-home VR thing initially. Did it ever actually release? I wouldn't put it past them to just use the exact same thing to take advantage of how rare VR is still.

It did, this is something Quest and ILM are doing to get people interested in the tech so they might buy it and try it at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

skipdogg posted:

They're not stopping with the Star Wars until they can no longer print money from it.

It's kinda amazing how well they've kept Marvel fatigue at bay (for general audiences) but ran the Star Wars IP into the ground in a handful of movies. I mean, we know exactly how and why, but it's amazing none-the-less.