Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Aren't the origins of albino skaven mysterious since they are exclusively loyal to the Council of Thirteen? Maybe this is how they make them so big and loyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Where Skaven come from has not been discussed much as of 2e, which is honestly good because the breeders were never a good idea.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/15/revealed-morathis-aelves-clash-with-eshin-assassins-in-warhammer-underworlds-nethermaze/

Turns out it was Skaven after all. The Nethermaze is the new Underworlds box set featuring the Shadeborn we've seen before and Skittershank’s Clawpack, which are a new Eshin warband.
Not sure if the Shadeborn are new models or not without checking the GW store.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/15/revealed-morathis-aelves-clash-with-eshin-assassins-in-warhammer-underworlds-nethermaze/

Turns out it was Skaven after all. The Nethermaze is the new Underworlds box set featuring the Shadeborn we've seen before and Skittershank’s Clawpack, which are a new Eshin warband.

Ooo, those are some good looking rats.

New rats!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

They look like the Shadowstalkers from Warcry, but different enough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Talas posted:

They look like the Shadowstalkers from Warcry, but different enough.

Yeah I realized as much after looking a it closer at them.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Huh, I was convinced they just reused the Shadowstalkers

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

neaden posted:

Aren't the origins of albino skaven mysterious since they are exclusively loyal to the Council of Thirteen? Maybe this is how they make them so big and loyal.

iirc Old fantasy fluff was that albino Skaven were blessed by the great horned rat but not loyal to a specific group.

Skaven don't do the whole loyalty thing in general.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It took me way too long after looking at those models to remember Warcry and Underworlds are different games. I kept thinking "Where's the shadow guy with the really long cape?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Floppychop posted:

iirc Old fantasy fluff was that albino Skaven were blessed by the great horned rat but not loyal to a specific group.

Skaven don't do the whole loyalty thing in general.

Albino Skaven were taken to be trained as guards to the council of Thirteen. If they had horns as well to be trained as Grey Seers. Black Fur means you get Stormvermin training.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/17/sunday-preview-dive-into-a-new-chapter-of-warhammer-underworlds/

So when they said Nethermaze was going up for pre-order they really meant soon because it's goes up next week. Alongside the undead warband that was announced last month.
Harrowdeep warbands come out as stand alone as well, which is nice.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That was really fast, yes... oh my poor wallet.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Nurgle Plague Drones done. No idea what happened to two of their head horns. Crossing 1000 points for a maggotkin army.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone here done anything wrt the Path To Glory? My bloodbowl group is talking about it once their battletome(nighthaunt) drops.

abravemoose posted:

Nurgle Plague Drones done. No idea what happened to two of their head horns. Crossing 1000 points for a maggotkin army.

I love the Vallejo Bluegreen. Good poo poo, my friend.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My area has a really active 40k scene - There are monthly tournaments that draw around 10-20 people, there is a active narrative league thing, and just a lot of people playing 40k. But nobody was playing AOS.

I noticed that a lot of people are painting AOS though - We have a painting thread where people post what they are working on. I also asked my FLGS staff, and AOS is actually not selling less than 40k.

So.. it seems that there were a lot of people with AOS armies, but nobody was playing.

I started a AOS league, and got 18 people signed up. The format is that every two weeks, you play a game against an assigned opponent. You then organize the games however you want, so long as you finish it within those two weeks.

I was pretty nervous that people would sign up but not commit to play, but after the first round, every game was played! The response has been fantastic. The FLGS staff mentioned to me that all of a sudden they were seeing people play AOS almost every night, where previously it was a very rare occurrence.

Feels good man. It seems people just needed a little nudge to start playing.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Happy for you man. At my lsg they are unable to get ptg league of the ground and only me and a friend play there regulary. But from what I know this is a specific case of that lgs and I honestly have no idea why that is.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

That's awesome! And yeah, a lot of people seem to think that 40k is the default and don't even look at other games. I'm glad you could find some people to play AoS with miniatures ready!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Congrats on the league! Are you doing matched or narrative play? I’m really enjoying the work they’re putting in to make narrative play and Path to Glory feel special this edition.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Geisladisk posted:

My area has a really active 40k scene - There are monthly tournaments that draw around 10-20 people, there is a active narrative league thing, and just a lot of people playing 40k. But nobody was playing AOS.

I noticed that a lot of people are painting AOS though - We have a painting thread where people post what they are working on. I also asked my FLGS staff, and AOS is actually not selling less than 40k.

So.. it seems that there were a lot of people with AOS armies, but nobody was playing.

I started a AOS league, and got 18 people signed up. The format is that every two weeks, you play a game against an assigned opponent. You then organize the games however you want, so long as you finish it within those two weeks.

I was pretty nervous that people would sign up but not commit to play, but after the first round, every game was played! The response has been fantastic. The FLGS staff mentioned to me that all of a sudden they were seeing people play AOS almost every night, where previously it was a very rare occurrence.

What I've been finding is a lot of people go "wow, those models" and buy the AoS kits, especially the new ones. I know...four nighthaunt players? There's two Kruleboyz players in the midst of assembling their armies etc etc etc etc. But it's the same weird ghost town where nobody I know has played a 3e game. To the point where I was asking someone to teach me and everyone was like "I...I havent played AoS since just before 3e launched."

It's...interesting. We're all playing blood bowl, though!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Rules for AoS of the new Underworlds bands have been posted:

The Exiled Dead
Skittershank’s Clawpack
The Shadeborn

The Ninja Skaven look pretty nice and expensive, but with D3 mortal wounds on 6s, they could delete something quite easily.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What I've been finding is a lot of people go "wow, those models" and buy the AoS kits, especially the new ones. I know...four nighthaunt players? There's two Kruleboyz players in the midst of assembling their armies etc etc etc etc. But it's the same weird ghost town where nobody I know has played a 3e game. To the point where I was asking someone to teach me and everyone was like "I...I havent played AoS since just before 3e launched."

It's...interesting. We're all playing blood bowl, though!

I like the models and definitely buy the kits just to paint up a small force. Usually a "start collecting box" and that is all I ever get of the army. I had Brettonians, Tomb Kings, and High Elves in WHFB, so the change to AoS made me reluctant, at best, to get interested in a new game outside the hobby aspects.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah it's doubly weird when you consider that putting together a 2k AoS force is *way* faster and cheaper than in 40k and the rules are a lot more streamlined. I wonder if the original reaction to AoS / the reputation of the whole double turn thing just put a ton of people off of trying what should by all rights be a more accessible game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, the hilariously shoddy first edition release definitely poisoned the chalice for a lot of people. Even beyond salty WHFB players who are still vocal about it to this day.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, the hilariously shoddy first edition release definitely poisoned the chalice for a lot of people. Even beyond salty WHFB players who are still vocal about it to this day.

interestingly enough the dumbfuck critic who lit his WHFB army on fire actually said AoS was a good game

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

interestingly enough the dumbfuck critic who lit his WHFB army on fire actually said AoS was a good game

:lol:
Nice of them to get over it though.

Even if I was mostly making jabs at the people griping about AoS whenever it comes up in the F&F thread

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He would have a fairly meh CoS army if he didn't do that.

Anyway, myself I honestly enjoy 3ed and play it almost every week, but I'm aware of the phenomenon of people having huge aos armies that they never played with. Anecdotal, but a lot of people that I talked with (that have aos armies) play wh40k rigorously and complain about it intensely.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Congrats on the league! Are you doing matched or narrative play? I’m really enjoying the work they’re putting in to make narrative play and Path to Glory feel special this edition.

We're doing matched play. I pick a mission from GHB21 each round for people to play.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Anyway, myself I honestly enjoy 3ed and play it almost every week, but I'm aware of the phenomenon of people having huge aos armies that they never played with. Anecdotal, but a lot of people that I talked with (that have aos armies) play wh40k rigorously and complain about it intensely.

Quite a few competitive 40k players I've talked to say they won't ever touch AOS because of the double turn. Somewhat ironically AOS seems to be in a much better place as a competitive game these days due to absolutely absurd power creep in 40k right now.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Power creep and rules creep.

I've seen the amount of stratagems available to Space Marines and despair.

Good to see Grey Knights in a decent place though.

Praying Nighthaunt's new battletome will help 'em out a bit, especially with the 3e change to All Out Defense.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
AoS isn't a perfect game and it still needs a knife taking to it here and there, but if you made me choose to go to an AoS or 40k event right now I'd pick AoS in a heartbeat. 40k is absolutely overburdened with extraneous crap. I borrowed a friend's Tau codex for a game at Warhammer World and I had to flip between the stratagems, army rules, unit entries, drones being a seperate section, and subtraction rules. It was wild.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I play around with both and the reason AOS is hard for me to pick up is the same reason that 40K is hard to stick with; the mental load.

I’m the sick creep who kind of enjoys all the rules and data sheets and stratagems of 40k (though I agree it’s too much), buuuut as cool as AOS is, having to set up a game even at home and learn the armies and such is just a little too much when I’m already thinking so much about the 40K stuff. I even have some really simple, straightforward AOS armies, but trying to think about a brand new kind of tactics just deadends my brain. I feel like I’d have to drop 40k altogether to make the bandwidth for it, and I just don’t want to right now.

So for other people who maybe are more annoyed with 40k than I am, but who still aren’t playing AOS even if they can, I imagine it is something similar where their pains with the game has not outpaced their pleasure yet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Personally for me, I started a Lumineth army in 2020 and have yet to play because of the pandemic. Every time I think I might be able to get out and try playing at the games workshop store or something the next wave hits.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Captain Magic posted:

I play around with both and the reason AOS is hard for me to pick up is the same reason that 40K is hard to stick with; the mental load.

I’m the sick creep who kind of enjoys all the rules and data sheets and stratagems of 40k (though I agree it’s too much), buuuut as cool as AOS is, having to set up a game even at home and learn the armies and such is just a little too much when I’m already thinking so much about the 40K stuff. I even have some really simple, straightforward AOS armies, but trying to think about a brand new kind of tactics just deadends my brain. I feel like I’d have to drop 40k altogether to make the bandwidth for it, and I just don’t want to right now.

So for other people who maybe are more annoyed with 40k than I am, but who still aren’t playing AOS even if they can, I imagine it is something similar where their pains with the game has not outpaced their pleasure yet.

Yeah for me it's definitely this. I also think GW bungled the rollout of AoS 3 pretty bad with the lack of updated tomes since launch. It feels like they launched the game and then immediately pivoted the majority of their resources into pumping out new 40k content.

To your point, that hasn't been necessarily good for either game, but if you were already a 40k player it makes it that much harder to put much energy into AoS.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah for me it's definitely this. I also think GW bungled the rollout of AoS 3 pretty bad with the lack of updated tomes since launch. It feels like they launched the game and then immediately pivoted the majority of their resources into pumping out new 40k content.

To your point, that hasn't been necessarily good for either game, but if you were already a 40k player it makes it that much harder to put much energy into AoS.

Honestly I kinda like that they focus more on 40k because the speed of updates for that game is ludicrous and exhausting to keep up with. I don't want to have to buy 5 different books and print a bunch of errata just to play at my local tourneys. It also seems pretty clear that the much faster publishing cycle for 40k rules means way more busted stuff slips through - comparing top-finishing armies at big events for both game is hilarious, there's more diversity in any single AoS GT's top 8 than every 40k GT for the past several months combined.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly I kinda like that they focus more on 40k because the speed of updates for that game is ludicrous and exhausting to keep up with. I don't want to have to buy 5 different books and print a bunch of errata just to play at my local tourneys. It also seems pretty clear that the much faster publishing cycle for 40k rules means way more busted stuff slips through - comparing top-finishing armies at big events for both game is hilarious, there's more diversity in any single AoS GT's top 8 than every 40k GT for the past several months combined.

its interesting seeing people be like "uhh wow this person finished second with a Skaven battletome, even though that's an old battletome...ummm??? thats impressive!" it makes me think that 40k players would basically just get slapped if they showed up with a codex from five years ago. the skaven finishers are always weird meme armies like 20+ skryre acolytes or like 100+ giant rats

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

its interesting seeing people be like "uhh wow this person finished second with a Skaven battletome, even though that's an old battletome...ummm??? thats impressive!" it makes me think that 40k players would basically just get slapped if they showed up with a codex from five years ago. the skaven finishers are always weird meme armies like 20+ skryre acolytes or like 100+ giant rats

Yeah there's all sorts of goofy stuff that wins events once in a while, even Nighthaunt had a 5-0 event recently and they're widely considered to be tied with BoC and Gloomspite for being one of the least competitive armies in the game. Maggotkin had people complaining about how weak the new book was but people are still finding good lists for them and there's like 3-4 very distinct lists all doing really well right now. Feels like there's a ton of room for player skill to elevate "bad" armies.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Slaneesh won a 5 round GT in poland recently with a Cockatrice in the list and it broke people's brains

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I'm trying to gather up the last bits for an Ossiarch army, but I can't seem to find Arkhan the Black anymore. What happened to him?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He exploded in story...but his model's actually still legal and viable and likely to remain so despite that, so mostly I think he's just out of stock.

e: also that model can only be gotten direct from GW, which may be your issue.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah there's all sorts of goofy stuff that wins events once in a while, even Nighthaunt had a 5-0 event recently and they're widely considered to be tied with BoC and Gloomspite for being one of the least competitive armies in the game. Maggotkin had people complaining about how weak the new book was but people are still finding good lists for them and there's like 3-4 very distinct lists all doing really well right now. Feels like there's a ton of room for player skill to elevate "bad" armies.

We're starting a narrative league pretty quick here and playing the "if you're here to chase meta and win every single time, gently caress off" set of rules. Our gaming group basically just wants to see you lose and see how you react to losing badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

We're starting a narrative league pretty quick here and playing the "if you're here to chase meta and win every single time, gently caress off" set of rules. Our gaming group basically just wants to see you lose and see how you react to losing badly.

This is my dream. I want to make a tzeentch army that is 50% slaves to darkness and 25% beasts of chaos and custom heroes from the new book, and play in a league like this