Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Hey Paradox I looked at some dev diary screenshots and played the leaked alpha a bit and in conclusion your game is not perfect. Pre-order cancelled + lost ability to feel human + I now own your source code

Do better next time tia.
If you check my post history in this thread I've been nothing but relentlessly positive about every aspect of this game so far. I'm not making GBS threads on it out of entitlement, and I'm not threatening anything. I'm 110% going to buy this game the moment it comes out.

But the pixelization in those screenshots looks like poo poo, and I'm glad it's being pointed out!

Pointing out it looks bad is the first step to fixing it. Perhaps they already know it looks bad, in which case these comments are redundant, but since no one's been saying anything, they might think it looks fine. So, you know, worth talking about.

AG3 posted:

I don't know why Paradox even bothers with the big "WIP" on their screenshots.
I think it is in fact the perfect time to point out issues with the work while it is still in progress. No one's being hyperbolic about what it means, or is saying it's an issue that can't or won't be fixed. But personally, it seems like a pretty glaring issue that folks have been silent about until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

it’s also the game where stacking numbers is ridiculously powerful for men at arms

That's true, but it's trivial to do. "Build the most buildings (in your very limited number of domain holdings) which give bonuses to my MaA (which are exclusively of one type), make sure to mix in some siege units" is a lot easier than whatever the hell it is I'm being asked to do in HoI4, wrt micromanaging armies.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Orange Devil posted:

Hey Paradox I looked at some dev diary screenshots and played the leaked alpha a bit and in conclusion your game is not perfect. Pre-order cancelled + lost ability to feel human + I now own your source code

Do better next time tia.

gently caress off dude lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah that’s a good post and the fact it’s making goons rage makes it even better

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

victoria 3 is cancelled because you couldn't be good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gort posted:

It's good that they continue to support their games after release.

Except Imperator: Rome. :smith:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mantis42 posted:

victoria 3 is cancelled because you couldn't be good

nooooo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah that’s a good post and the fact it’s making goons rage makes it even better

av/post combo

MonsieurChoc posted:

eh, pdx did support it for 2 years despite it being genuinely awful and bad on release. i remember johan really emphasized not understanding whty it wasnt good at first, talking about how it was the EU: Rome codebase and everything, which just.. i dunno. betrayed a lot about the design and support perspective they had.

giving it 2 years and never really recovering player numbers is pretty fair overall.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cry more

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Some of the really neat mods for HoI4 feel like a mismatch to what the game is built around, so all of the really interesting stuff is done in the focus tree, decisions menu, and event popups.

Yeah I've always found it funny how HoI4 has become the go-to platform for big ambitious narrative alt-history mods, even though they generally seem to have little interest in the actual wargame part. Vic 3's systems so far seem closer to what many of those modders would probably rather be working with. TNO's entire jury-rigged macroeconomics layer comes to mind.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MonsieurChoc posted:

They also bailed out on Diplomacy after like 3 patches and blamed Hasbro (which I’m sure was accurate).

That was a long long time ago but it took away my ability to feel human so I haven’t forgotten.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It still kinda amazes me that one of the best mods for any Paradox game came from a country roleplay thread on Facepunch. TNO is the only reason I ever bother to reinstall HoI4 anymore.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

That's true, but it's trivial to do. "Build the most buildings (in your very limited number of domain holdings) which give bonuses to my MaA (which are exclusively of one type), make sure to mix in some siege units" is a lot easier than whatever the hell it is I'm being asked to do in HoI4, wrt micromanaging armies.

That's the issue, a small amount of systems mastery trivialises the entire warfare system which pushes the whole interpersonal relationship system into the background. Real medieval warfare was about managing the personalities of a bunch of catty nobles while trying to stop them charging off and getting themselves killed, whereas in CK3 you just spam the best MaA and can win most conflicts.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DaysBefore posted:

It still kinda amazes me that one of the best mods for any Paradox game came from a country roleplay thread on Facepunch. TNO is the only reason I ever bother to reinstall HoI4 anymore.

I've never played much HoI4 or TNO in general but looking around at the lore of that mod is a trip. Josef Mengele gets tortured to death by Idi Amin, it's pretty wild.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lady Radia posted:

av/post combo

eh, pdx did support it for 2 years despite it being genuinely awful and bad on release. i remember johan really emphasized not understanding whty it wasnt good at first, talking about how it was the EU: Rome codebase and everything, which just.. i dunno. betrayed a lot about the design and support perspective they had.

giving it 2 years and never really recovering player numbers is pretty fair overall.

But by the end it was getting really good!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah! I was coming away almost excited about it lol

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Eiba posted:

I think it is in fact the perfect time to point out issues with the work while it is still in progress. No one's being hyperbolic about what it means, or is saying it's an issue that can't or won't be fixed. But personally, it seems like a pretty glaring issue that folks have been silent about until now.

Like, if it was in actual Beta and a like a few months away from release, sure, I could see that. Seems a bit early to me though.

My point though really was that I don't know why they bother with the WIP icon, because like the incessant repetition of the phrase "NUMBERS ARE NOT FINAL AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE" below almost every screenshot in every single dev diary, it does absolutely nothing.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 23, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lady Radia posted:

Yeah! I was coming away almost excited about it lol

MonsieurChoc posted:

Invictus mod is dece

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just had the silly thought of a World of Darkness mod for Victoria, and then I realized you could probably just rename Capitalists to vampires and call it a day.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The way the mechanics are set up vs how unfleshed out most other properties are in terms of things like demographics and trade it seems like it'll be hard for non alt just mods to come out being particularly interesting.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vagabong posted:

That's the issue, a small amount of systems mastery trivialises the entire warfare system which pushes the whole interpersonal relationship system into the background. Real medieval warfare was about managing the personalities of a bunch of catty nobles while trying to stop them charging off and getting themselves killed, whereas in CK3 you just spam the best MaA and can win most conflicts.

Oh yeah, CK3 is the "easiest" of all the Paradox games I've played by far. I was just saying that the combat system isn't terribly micro-intensive. I'd love to see an "abstracted" battle/theater system for CK3 or (in 8 years, CK4) in which securing support from relevant stakeholders in the realm before a conflict is 90% of the action. Going to war with your vassals' levies should incur a much steeper negative relations malus than it currently does. It doesn't help that a lot of the realm management was made even easier with Royal Court.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

The way the mechanics are set up vs how unfleshed out most other properties are in terms of things like demographics and trade it seems like it'll be hard for non alt just mods to come out being particularly interesting.

eh?? what do you think will be unfleshed out re: trade and demographics on release?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Other properties aren't fleshed out in terms of trade for example how much was written about the trade between Gondor and Rohan. Because writers focus more on exciting poo poo like troops and such it's harder to have a well fleshed out mod for a Vicky than for a hoi or CK.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

oh, i understand what you're saying. i think things like divergences offered relatively interesting settings (that they failed to ultimately capitalize on) even so, but i agree fiction-based alt hist isn't necessarily a great fit for vicky

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Not unless they’re economic thrillers

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just had the silly thought of a World of Darkness mod for Victoria, and then I realized you could probably just rename Capitalists to vampires and call it a day.

Capital is dead labour, that, vampire-like, only lives by sucking living labour, and lives the more, the more labour it sucks. The time during which the labourer works, is the time during which the capitalist consumes the labour-power he has purchased of him.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat I can't stop playing the leak even though it crashes constantly

I'm so hyped for this game now, it's gonna be amazing

One thing I hope they add before release is a dedicated screen for pop needs. Right now you can go to an individual good and it'll say "used by all strata to fulfil heating needs" but I can imagine a cool-looking screen that shows all the needs for each strata and what shortages / expenses are contributing to their current standard of living. Right now I think you have to rely on tooltips if you wanna figure out why, e.g., all the pops in your lower strata are struggling.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm curious about the current version floating out there but way way too lazy to find it and install it. Glad to hear it's already got really good bones though. I'm hoping V3's release state will be more like CK3 rather than say Stellaris.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

I'm loving what I see in the dev diaries and think the changed military system has a lot of potential. The big question I have is the interplay between military fronts and logistics. It's going to have a big impact on things like colonization

I know it's on the margins but I was thinking of California history at this time. In 1844 the locals in Alta California dislike the Governor appointed by the Mexican federal government and revolt. The force sent to suppress them is just 300 prisoner conscripts who are defeated, resulting in a compromise where a local Californio became governor. During the Mexican-American War the US fighting forces in California were just 6 ships and ~300 local volunteers.

A lot of countries want the area (US, Mexico, Britain, Russia), but none of them have much ability to actually project force there. There are flirtations with becoming an independent republic, but the local economy is completely dominated by a handful of rancheros who end up easily sidelined by the steady stream of immigrants from the US.

If they can nail a system where the US fights a civil war in the east with a total ~3,000,000 mobilized between both sides but practically can only send 1/1,000 as many around to California due to the economic cost, it'll be my dream game.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 24, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Let me build the Holy State of Deseret and launch a crusade to liberate Zion (Independence, MO) from the gentiles.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I'm loving what I see in the dev diaries and think the changed military system has a lot of potential. The big question I have is the interplay between military fronts and logistics. It's going to have a big impact on things like colonization

I know it's on the margins but I was thinking of California history at this time. In 1844 the locals in Alta California dislike the Governor appointed by the Mexican federal government and revolt. The force sent to suppress them is just 300 prisoner conscripts who are defeated, resulting in a compromise where a local Californio becoming governor. During the Mexican-American War the US fighting forces in California were just 6 ships and ~300 local volunteers.

A lot of countries want the area (US, Mexico, Britain, Russia), but none of them have much ability to actually project force there. There are flirtations with becoming an independent republic, but the local economy is completely dominated by a handful of rancheros who end up easily sidelined by the steady stream of immigrants from the US.

If they can nail a system where the US fights a civil war in the east with a total ~3,000,000 mobilized between both sides but practically can only send 1/1,000 as many around to California due to the economic cost, it'll be my dream game.

zorro and his trusty steed tornado were also a wild card factor in all this

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Fuligin posted:

zorro and his trusty steed tornado were also a wild card factor in all this

Mexico should have a journal entry about the difficulties of the Federal Government controlling its far flung territory that includes masked avenger events in the periphery

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

with the mechanics as is i wonder how far you could push the start-date back (with requisite additions to the tech tree)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Stairmaster posted:

with the mechanics as is i wonder how far you could push the start-date back (with requisite additions to the tech tree)

I feel like immediately post-Waterloo is the earliest you could go, I don't think the game's equipped to handle the Napoleonic Wars very well. Maybe it could start with the Congress of Vienna if you represent the Hundred Days as journal entries rather than a war.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i feel like there was some mode that allowed you to determine the outcome of westphilia. that seems like it would be a fun starting point, with some randomness in what happened post waterloo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i feel like there was some mode that allowed you to determine the outcome of westphilia. that seems like it would be a fun starting point, with some randomness in what happened post waterloo
Like and Subscribe to get in line to see my video about how I abuse the Treaty Of Westphalia to free Byzantium and restore the historical ERE borders before 1825!

Not trying to be snarky to you at all, just poking fun at ... Byzaboos? Is that a thing?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 25, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Byzantiophiles? Byzantiumophilia? :shrug:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hell yeah I’m a Byzantiphile.

I think they are neat

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

margeasaniconophile.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Poil posted:

Byzantiophiles? Bynzatiumophilia? :shrug: