Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

My god I even tried to do a 2v2 in Hero's Hour and my AI partner got wiped off the map on day 2 of week 2. This is gonna be a learning experience, isn't it?

I did at least learn that buying an early second hero is worth it if only to help ferry new troops to your main hero.

The only way I've found to do well is to pick a hero and playstyle that lets you minimize your losses until you can snowball to bigger units. There are a lot of ways to do this but some are:

The Empire hero that starts with healing magic + buffs all allies after casting a spell. Just cast shields/heals on your units to keep them alive, and as a bonus they kill faster.
As Tide, upgrade the tier 1 chaff melee units ASAP because it gives them Retreat, which makes them prioritize fleeing to your capitol over dying and then you can go pick them up again later
The Mercurial talent on anyone that can get it - the one that converts mercury into disposable slime units weekly. It's incredibly good and provides the meat shield any army needs. One of the strongest strategies in the game.
Undead with the talent that curses enemies when you cast a spell on them and strategic use of spells
Any faction's ranged healer/caster unit is good at keeping your more survivable units alive (Empire and Tide get one, I forget who else)
Dwarves have a kind of innate answer to minimizing losses which is their dead units come back to life as more powerful ghosts and with the right talents those ghosts amalgamate into stronger ghosts or something
Academy with Elemental Conflux or whatever it's called, the ability that summons elementals when you cast a spell. You can cast e.g. a fireball right into the enemy ranged line, which does damage and spawns fire elementals that tank their shots and deal more damage, then the fire elementals explode when they die. You can combo this with the talents to summon permanent elementals after battle and to summon a flood of elementals during battle.

etc. Basically your first priority should be some kind of replenishable ablative armor to keep your recruited units from dying.

My second tip which you already figured out is recruit a second hero early and hand their units to your main hero, then use them to scout and collect unguarded resources. If you're Tide, get the building that lets you turn any army into a fleet and use them to explore the ocean, there are aggressive neutrals at sea you need to avoid but also tons of rewards.

Third, upgrading some units to tier 2 in the first week seems to be better than spamming out all the recruitment buildings, because they're more survivable than tier 1 units.

Also not 100% sure this is how it works but anecdotally it seems like not digging up the obelisk treasure until higher level leads to much better rewards - chiefly set pieces. The set artifacts are absurd and should be hunted down whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Spermanent Record posted:

I refunded Teardown. Was hoping for some Guerilla style smashing but the physics is way off. A whole house can be held up by a single brick and then it just drops down vertically when you remove it.

This sounds completely authentic to guerilla though lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

Sometimes you like something so much that you'll settle for far less to get a bit more of it.

This is why I tried it during the demo event. It looked like it was Opus Magnum with some new mechanics added on top (throwing elements around, in particular) so I tried it to see what that added to the formula. But it feels just so bad to play, in just about every way possible.

There's no persistent device palette - you need to click the little button in the lower right to slowly animate the palette into the middle of the screen which blocks the playing field, then you need to drag what you need out to the edges, close the palette, and THEN move them where you want. Like Opus Magnum you can use shortcuts to quickly place actions onto the action timeline, but instead of arranging the shortcuts spatially appropriate to the positions on the action palette grid, as in Opus Magnum, Velone use F1-F12 so it's unintuitive to place actions. There are way too many elements and their transformations are unintuitive, with colors jumping all over the rainbow instead of following some kind of progression. Tthe element throwing mechanic, the thing that attracted me to the game, has to have a corresponding catch action in the arm that receives the element, so you need to get the exact distance right in the timeline or it'll fail and you'll have to redo it. Going by the Steam reviews there are even worse mechanics I didn't come across - apparently there's an energy system for devices that persists between levels and you need to refill it with a minigame??

Opus Magnum is my favorite Zachtronics game so I'd be all for a shameless ripoff as long as it brings new stuff to the table, but... this aint it.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 23, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spermanent Record posted:

I refunded Teardown. Was hoping for some Guerilla style smashing but the physics is way off. A whole house can be held up by a single brick and then it just drops down vertically when you remove it.

Weird cause they obviously can topple structures - a wooden tower collapsed nicely. Not sure what they were going for with that game. It wasn't much fun.

I've kept the game but yeah the physics are weird and not very satisfying. Buildings in Guerilla had strain points where it'll creak and crack until eventually the whole thing comes down and that's just not how Teardown works. A single column of bricks from a left over chimney connecting the top and bottom floor of a house will magically suspend the entire top floor until you break those bricks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My ideal outcome for Teardown were missions were you had x amount of seconds/amount of TNT to bring down an entire building. There’s some missions that do that but I absolutely loathe all the heist missions and gave up on the campaign as soon as Workshop support came out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I actually think some of the heist style missions were the more interesting part of Teardown compared to straight demolishing because of the weird physics. But it does still leave me wishing it was more physically accurate at times.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Red Faction Guerilla is still the game with best demolishing physics and it came out like 10 years ago.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Red Faction Guerilla is still the game with best demolishing physics and it came out like 10 years ago.

13 years.

When designing the game, they would program in buildings that would spontaneously collapse, so they had to hire actual architects to help them design their video game buildings to be structurally sound.

Kind of surprised there wasn't/isn't a sandbox mode for the game you can enable to just go hog wild on destruction.

drat shame they kind of killed the franchise by trying to make it Gears of War-ish instead of open world sandbox sims.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I liked Armageddon :colbert: The magnet gun was great, and I'm a sucker for any game where you can shoot black holes at poo poo. And it had s score attack destruction mode, which was ready fun.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

pentyne posted:

drat shame they kind of killed the franchise by trying to make it Gears of War-ish instead of open world sandbox sims.
Another victim of the Sci-Fi Channel. They funded the game in conjunction with their own long forgotten Red Faction TV-movie, but had all sorts of demands for the developers. So it became a linear game with aliens as the primary enemy based on their notes.

Also according to Jim Boone, Red Faction Guerrilla lost money back in the day, though I suspect its had a long tail when it comes to sales or they wouldn't have bothered with remastering it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I played 10 hours of Samurai Bringer and I'm pretty confident I've seen everything the game has to offer. I'm very disappointed that there's no extended difficulty options, it has a ton of fresh, fun, flexible mechanics and systems that you can stack on top of each other to inflate your power level but then it never gives you anything to actually do with all of them because it's absurdly easy to make a single-animation basic attack that kills even bosses in just a few hits. Still recommended because it's only $10, very fun, and has some extremely rad mechanics. It was about ~8 hours in before I broke the game over my knee and those first 8 hours were a blast. I hope some DLC or a sequel comes out that adds some longevity to it :kiddo:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

Since you mention that: the lead tech designer for RF Guerilla - and only him, it's a solo effort AFAICT - is making Instruments of Destruction, basically Besiege v9.0 with all that lovely building-collapse physics we want

and it kicks rear end

https://i.imgur.com/S0gGx5O.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Mgaa2Xv.mp4

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 24, 2022

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Space Hulk Deathwing is on a pretty steep discount; is it one of the good Warhams? I liked Vermintide.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rebel Blob posted:

Another victim of the Sci-Fi Channel. They funded the game in conjunction with their own long forgotten Red Faction TV-movie, but had all sorts of demands for the developers. So it became a linear game with aliens as the primary enemy based on their notes.

Also according to Jim Boone, Red Faction Guerrilla lost money back in the day, though I suspect its had a long tail when it comes to sales or they wouldn't have bothered with remastering it.
RFG came around the time quad-cores were trickling out IIRC and those were a thousand at the time. It was an eye opener to me when dualies with HT were chugging on the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hollandia posted:

Space Hulk Deathwing is on a pretty steep discount; is it one of the good Warhams? I liked Vermintide.

Def not as good as Vermintide and overall pretty mediocre and repetitive. Nice looking tho, it really feels like you're slogging your way through the bowels of an Imperial ship emphasis on "slogging."

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Def not as good as Vermintide and overall pretty mediocre and repetitive. Nice looking tho, it really feels like you're slogging your way through the bowels of an Imperial ship emphasis on "slogging."
I've taken a look at some more gameplay clips and I'm coming to that conclusion yeah. I'll skip it. They've nailed the aesthetic though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The original Red Faction was mind-blowing back in its day and it's comical to look up videos of how primitive its destruction engine was now :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeU7nPtWFA

I liked it way more than Guerilla because it was trying to be a FPS first and foremost, and it by no means particularly excelled at that, but the environmental destruction was like an optional tool in your arsenal instead of literally the entire focus of the game. I couldn't get into Guerilla because I've never enjoyed tediously kicking childrens' sandcastles until every grain of sand is gone and that's what it was, in videogame form. There's lots of getting stuck on physics objects and waiting while things slowly fall to the ground and looking for that one last support beam of the building to make the whole thing fall down, and OG Red Faction has the superior geo-mod version where you just shoot a wall and then you instantly have a door you can walk through :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 24, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
While on the subject, Just Cause 2 (and only 2) is also a S-tier destruction simulator.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
3 was better, both for explosions and in general

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The original Red Faction was mind-blowing back in its day and it's comical to look up videos of how primitive its destruction engine was now :allears:

I mean hey, when you had to run on a system that had 32MB of system RAM to work with, it was pretty impressive!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Faction Guerilla was great and then some executive at THQ looked at Dead Space and said "Make the sequel more like that".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The game should be familiar to most people in this thread as the original Pillars was a massive Kickstarter success and kickstarted (lol) a return to the classic isometric crpg style of the Baldur's Gate series. This series, along with Divinity OS and Pathfinder, are arguably the best of their type of games in the last decade.

I'll get this out of the way first, but it was originally designed as a real time with pause style game, but they added turn based mode as option when you start. You can't swap between the two at will like Pathfinder without a little extra work editing the game files though. That said, per someone in the main game thread, you can probably beat the main story with about 8 total combat encounters. It's not a game where you have to fight your way through tons of trash mobs where you'd probably just select all and click "attack" to resolve the combat.

There's two things that stand out about this game as great, the combat system (totally redesigned from PoE1) and the amount of story/quest based variety you can get from choices and decisions including imported choices from the first game. It's much more in the style of Fallout New Vegas, where the main story is ~10-15% of the game and the rest is exploring this open world dealing with the various factions and balancing how much they hate or love you. The factions also gives you a choice on who you want to support, which consists of
- Fantasy Italy (trading guild, uber wealthy)
- Fantasy England (kind of? Super strong navy, not super rich)
- Fantasy Pacific Islanders (natives with a rigid caste system)
- Some jumped up pirates

Some examples would be two factions want you to explore a island, one wants you to blow something up but the other wants it fixed and you have to pick a side. It's not super complex and having good social skills means you have options to talk your way out of betraying the factions without taking a huge reputation hit. It's more of a roleplay thing if you want to dive into it, as going for max diplomacy etc. can carry you through until the final chapter where you have to pick a side.

The combat has finally ascended past the classic Vancian casting of per rest abilities and now is focused specifically on characters having per encounter powers/spells with a limited pool per day you can use to boost a specific attack or regain limited ability use. Anyone familiar with most crpgs knows that buffing your characters exhaustively before starting combat is common, but Pillars restricts a lot of abilities to use only in combat which makes for way less tedium in general. There's a unique mechanic called penetration which compares your weapon 'strength' to the enemies defense, and if you match you do 100% damage, but if you are lower its reduced and the same for the reverse. It takes a bit to figure out, and early on it's going to be a major source of damage dealing issues until you do but really encourages variety in combat rather then spamming the same thing every time.

Character building is pretty crazy, because they added hybrid classes, like druid/fighter, and you can take mixes of each archetype to get a specific "hybrid" class so you can do everything from a buffing fighter tank to a punching wizard. There's enormous flexibility and practically 0 trap options if you engage with the mechanics and learn how the characters play out. There's actually very little major power differences between a min-maxed class and a normal sub-optimal build. The balance for this game's combat is really good.

The games got some weak areas, mostly the ship based stuff which was a problem in development in general and what you get is okay but not worth engaging with past learning how to trivialize it. You can skip ship-ship combat entirely and just go straight to boarding, which has your 5 man party plus your other party members as AI support fighting against the enemy.

The only issue with this game is that it is so, so much better then Pillars 1 I'd recommend playing it first if you are curious about the series. It does basically start with spoiling the major dramatic story reveal at the end of Pillars 1 though. Like how Deadfire is New Vegas with ~15% main story, Pillars 1 is the reverse where its 80% main story and lore because it has to introduce the entire fictional world and history. If you are a game purist who doesn't want to start in the middle of the series, Pillars 1 is still pretty solid story wise but a bit weak on combat, and also has in general way more combat encounters.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

That's Fantasy Venice and Fantasy Imperial Japanese East India Company thank you very much.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
PoE2 is like a shining example on how not to open a game. It's like they heard of the idea of what a "hook" is and decided to aggressively go in the opposite direction.

You start out in an empty room with a deity talking down to you about your past, briefly asking which of his pantheon you sided with in the last game. No, no context, get to it, chop chop. After a few brief lines about how the world needs you again, the screen fades to black and you find yourself in a galley in a storm and - oh no, pirates attack! Combat tutorial.

I refunded right there because I was so aggressively uninterested whatever the hell they where trying to do, and I wish to be clear here, Icewind Dale style combat is something I suffer through for the sake of the game around it. Tyranny (by the same people?) did a good job with a setting and setup, so going from one to the other was some serious whiplash.

Estel
May 4, 2010

tight aspirations posted:

I liked Armageddon :colbert: The magnet gun was great, and I'm a sucker for any game where you can shoot black holes at poo poo. And it had s score attack destruction mode, which was ready fun.

Red Faction Armageddon was great even if a lot of people hate it but i guess most of them just used the boring automatic weapons instead of the explosive ones or the Magnet Gun, starting a fight by throwing entire buildings at enemies was really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDYF88F_ExI

I tried various times to play Red Faction Guerrilla and could never get pass the 3-4 hour mark in that game, once the novelty of the destruction wears off it's a really boring game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

I refunded right there because I was so aggressively uninterested whatever the hell they where trying to do, and I wish to be clear here, Icewind Dale style combat is something I suffer through for the sake of the game around it. Tyranny (by the same people?) did a good job with a setting and setup, so going from one to the other was some serious whiplash.

The writing in Tyranny feels very different from that in PoE. I wonder if they have a second team for prototyping ideas that just got free rein on Tyranny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deadfire is an incredible game and basically improves on everything from the first Pillars game (a game I very much enjoyed as well).

I think ropekid has said a POE3 is unlikely after it took so long to recoup the costs of making 2? Which is a shame, but 2 does basically finish things where there's plenty of room for other types of games in that world (is Avowed still being made?) which is better than nothing.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hollandia posted:

It oozes atmosphere, like it absolutely nails it, so might be worth it at the current discount since you'll get some enjoyment from the basic campaign. But unless you have friends you intend to play it with afterwards, then it's sadly pretty mediocre with bad AI teammates

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jerusalem posted:

(is Avowed still being made?).

It is. People who generally have decent insight into Microsoft projects think it could be an early-mid 2023 release, so maybe we see something at not-E3 this year, or worst case at the Keighley’s in December.

Anno fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 24, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I liked Pillars 1 well enough to finish it, but was underwhelmed enough to not bother with Pillars 2 until way way later, which is a shame, because it is an improvement in every area. It is definitely Obsidian's best game since New Vegas.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Probably also the last good Obsidian game we'll ever get tbh.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Probably also the last good Obsidian game we'll ever get tbh.

Have you heard the good word about Josh Sawyer's In The Name of The Rose inspired investigative RPG that's in development?

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 24, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Fresco Elysium :hmmyes:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Disco Shrewsbury

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

fez_machine posted:

Have you heard the good word about Josh Sawyer's In The Name of The Rose inspired investigative RPG that's in development?

I have, but I'm taking Outer Worlds as an omen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
All my Hero's Hour gametime has had me itching for a more classic RTS. Ended up reinstalling Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation and I don't love it as much as I loved SoaSE but it's still a good time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

fez_machine posted:

No but that sounds cool as gently caress

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I liked it way more than Guerilla because it was trying to be a FPS first and foremost, and it by no means particularly excelled at that, but the environmental destruction was like an optional tool in your arsenal instead of literally the entire focus of the game. I couldn't get into Guerilla because I've never enjoyed tediously kicking childrens' sandcastles until every grain of sand is gone and that's what it was, in videogame form. There's lots of getting stuck on physics objects and waiting while things slowly fall to the ground and looking for that one last support beam of the building to make the whole thing fall down, and OG Red Faction has the superior geo-mod version where you just shoot a wall and then you instantly have a door you can walk through :colbert:

Man me and my brother used to play multiplayer and just hollow out bunkers with the original Red Faction and then fight from there

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Guerilla has a lot fewer "pieces" in a building than Teardown, so the physics calculations could be made more complex without bogging down the CPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

PoE2 is like a shining example on how not to open a game. It's like they heard of the idea of what a "hook" is and decided to aggressively go in the opposite direction.

You start out in an empty room with a deity talking down to you about your past, briefly asking which of his pantheon you sided with in the last game. No, no context, get to it, chop chop. After a few brief lines about how the world needs you again, the screen fades to black and you find yourself in a galley in a storm and - oh no, pirates attack! Combat tutorial.

PoE2 is a sequel. It expected you to play the first one.

Jerusalem posted:

Deadfire is an incredible game and basically improves on everything from the first Pillars game (a game I very much enjoyed as well).

I think ropekid has said a POE3 is unlikely after it took so long to recoup the costs of making 2? Which is a shame, but 2 does basically finish things where there's plenty of room for other types of games in that world (is Avowed still being made?) which is better than nothing.

I am very disappointed that the Pillars series didn't do well. Maybe if it had turn based combat from the start?