Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

jassa posted:

We saw in Zou he has some ability to use the voice of all things, and he has been getting better at pushing past his fear & PTSD to inspire & motivate his people.
Yeah, there's no way a character would have an ability like that and not become some sort of badass if they weren't one already.

Shadow0 posted:

Getting a bit tiring everyone stressing how important Momo is despite him never doing anything at all ever. Also he has a sister, who no one cares about, despite being just as much of the bloodline.
I don't know what you expect from an eight year-old with no prior combat training. And even with time travel shenanigans, he's the first-born, so he'd still have clam to the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm saying the anime does a lot of telling me he's important, but not a lot of showing me he's important.

There's no real reason say Kin'enmon can't be the one to lead the country. He even has experience doing it.

He doesn't really have any motivations or aspirations either. I don't usually like these kind of characters in anime, and I don't feel like it's been done well here. Or maybe it's just because the anime is sooo slow. The part where Luffy forces him to actually do something instead of hiding behind Kin'enmon was nice at least.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Without spoilering anything, momo does continue to develop as a character, and yes the glacial anime pacing does make it worse since it drags out this whole arc even longer than the manga (which people have also been suffering from fatigue with).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
One Piece is the anime that most desperately needs the Dragonball Kai treatment. Hell even DBZ wasn't nearly as badly paced as OP has gotten.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Is the Wano arc over in the manga yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tokelau All Star posted:

No but we’re at or near the final battle currently at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 10, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tokelau All Star posted:

It's presumably at the climax.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Drakkel posted:

One Piece is the anime that most desperately needs the Dragonball Kai treatment. Hell even DBZ wasn't nearly as badly paced as OP has gotten.

It’s kinda telling that fans have already made their own version of Kai, tbh.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Toei's been hacked, the anime will be on an unplanned break in April after ep 1016 airs.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1502167870452613124

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

Toei's been hacked, the anime will be on an unplanned break in April after ep 1016 airs.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1502167870452613124

No episode tonight either as I understand due to the women’s marathon being broadcast in its place

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Something huge happened in the manga this week. There’s been multiple front page posts over multiple days about it on Reddit. Some of those posts seem angry? Never seen that before for this show.

It’s taking a lot of will power not to spoil it. Please don’t spoil it in this thread, just warning all to watch out for more frequent than normal spoilers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, for anyone that watches on there it appears that CR has changed its policy recently and all future releases will be subscription only (meaning episodes will no longer be free for regular users a week after airing):

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/4962816171412-Changes-to-Ad-Supported-Viewing-

It seems like this will apply to all currently running shows as well (including One Piece when it resumes)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hope it's something actually worth getting angry about and not something lame, like his next power up having spiky blonde hair or something.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well you're going to have to dodge manga spoilers for over a year if you don't want to learn about it early, and considering the last couple of chapters have been treading all over Twitter and even reached the top of r/all on reddit, before the official release uhhhhh good luck with that.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Well you're going to have to dodge Twitter and reddit before the official release uhhhhh good luck with that.

Done and done.

There's no new episode this week either? This is the third week with no episode, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Done and done.

There's no new episode this week either? This is the third week with no episode, right?

Yes, because of the hacking attempt on Toei Animation a few weeks ago and their current investigation into the matter. There won’t be any new episodes until April at the very earliest

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe they'll make the most of it and when animation resumes they'll sort out some of the pacing issues to try catch up. We're already like over a year behind the manga?

But nah that'll never happen, gotta keep stretching that buffer :|

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe they'll make the most of it and when animation resumes they'll sort out some of the pacing issues to try catch up. We're already like over a year behind the manga?

But nah that'll never happen, gotta keep stretching that buffer :|

It would be nice to at least get the pacing back to the way it was in the early days but I’m not holding my breath on that

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IIRC the pacing towards the start of One Piece was decent because they had a backlog of chapters to animate, so they got a couple of chapters animated each episode (which afaik is pretty standard for shonen adaptions). However since it's been weekly for like forever it caught up and they had to slow down and add a bunch of filler so we're currently at something like 1.5-2 episodes per chapter instead. Plus they want a big buffer in case Oda explodes like Yoshihiro.

I think the next episode works out to be roughly chapter 1000 so even at the current rate (ignoring the hiatus) we'd be waiting til next year to catch up with current events (chapter 1044).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Zark the Damned posted:

IIRC the pacing towards the start of One Piece was decent because they had a backlog of chapters to animate, so they got a couple of chapters animated each episode (which afaik is pretty standard for shonen adaptions). However since it's been weekly for like forever it caught up and they had to slow down and add a bunch of filler so we're currently at something like 1.5-2 episodes per chapter instead. Plus they want a big buffer in case Oda explodes like Yoshihiro.

I think the next episode works out to be roughly chapter 1000 so even at the current rate (ignoring the hiatus) we'd be waiting til next year to catch up with current events (chapter 1044).

Their average has been one chapter per episode for a loooong time now. Possibly over a decade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m not sure if the extra buffer brought on by the current hiatus will affect that or if they’ll just continue with the current setup like normal (I’m betting on the latter personally)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I’m not sure if the extra buffer brought on by the current hiatus will affect that or if they’ll just continue with the current setup like normal (I’m betting on the latter personally)

I suspect they’ll use this to have extra buffer. Or to fill the buffer they lost left by oda’s hiatus (was that last year?)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's kinda crazy how the anime adapted so quickly that it caught up to the manga and has been super close for a long time now. The anime aired episode 1 in October 1999, around chapter 110, and despite have plenty of filler arcs and stretching content since Shabondy, we're now on chapter 1045 and the anime is on episode 1013. Well let's be fair, the anime is actually on chapter 998.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I dont know how many years Oda has been taking monthly breaks, which shortens the gap over time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 31, 2022

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Larryb posted:

And we have both a trailer and a release date for the new movie:

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1509548134552289287?t=S7Xr0N-RCjBvEi2wUHt_Ng&s=19

I’m assuming this means that Toei Animation will be back in business fairly soon now

did you watch it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PirateZim posted:

did you watch it

Clearly not, nevermind

To make up for my stupidity, have this recent poster instead:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 31, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The One Piece anime officially returns next weekend, hopefully we’ll get a proper trailer for Film Red soon as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Film Red trailer (for real this time):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zR5DoUUovc0

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's kind of weird how One Piece is tailor made for random filler media tie ins. Like, I can't think of any other work where it's entirely consistent with canon for a random brother/childhood friend/sister/whatever to just show up for the main character with no previous mention or hint.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
that was a lot of good animation wasted just so we can see luffy punch really good at the end

now we pay for it in a review episode next week

uuuuggghhhh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Freakazoid_ posted:

that was a lot of good animation wasted just so we can see luffy punch really good at the end

now we pay for it in a review episode next week

uuuuggghhhh

"Wasted" also they're doing a review ep because it's golden week and nobody would be watching tv

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of recap episodes :'(
At least I can always say that while the process is slow, One Piece is (usually) consistently fantastic.
I wonder how this fight is going to play out. Usually fights are one-on-one, but there's 2 emperors and the 5 top upstarts.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 26, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Next week is like the third recap in the last 16 episodes (though I suppose it’s better than the time during Enies Lobby where they did like 5 or 6 of them in a row repeating the same opening and ending scenes every time)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’d rather they do these recaps and get higher quality, well paced episodes later.

Also this weeks whole ep was beautiful. So wonderfully animated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’d rather they do these recaps and get higher quality, well paced episodes later.

Also this weeks whole ep was beautiful. So wonderfully animated.

Indeed (and tossing “We Are” into the end of it was a nice touch as well)

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
One Piece anime is in a relatively good spot now.

The only main issue, which.... did we have this before? Where they just cut around all the time instead of focusing on one fight? It's majorly hype killing. If this was directed well, it could very well have been one of the most hype arcs ever, but the pacing and constant cuts to different scenes is just jarring to me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dipwood posted:

One Piece anime is in a relatively good spot now.

The only main issue, which.... did we have this before? Where they just cut around all the time instead of focusing on one fight? It's majorly hype killing. If this was directed well, it could very well have been one of the most hype arcs ever, but the pacing and constant cuts to different scenes is just jarring to me.

That's mostly the Mangas fault with regards to this arc, though I do think the anime exacerbated it because in the manga it's usually just a panel or two whereas the anime will make it a full 1-3 minute scene.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Julias posted:

That's mostly the Mangas fault with regards to this arc, though I do think the anime exacerbated it because in the manga it's usually just a panel or two whereas the anime will make it a full 1-3 minute scene.
This, the manga would cut away with one or two panels to ongoing side battles/events just to refresh the reader's memory on current situations. Of course, the anime stretches each panel out past its breaking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I remember it being really annoying during Dressrosa, with Franky vs Senor Pink, Zoro's fight, God Usopp, Robin and Bartolomeo's group, etc.