Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AotC
May 16, 2010

oh jay posted:

Is recruiting a super-pilot at all worth it? I guess it's a little convenient for your first mission or two, but it doesn't take long before I'm micromanaging construction projects on a few different asteroids so there's always something to do, even if there are 4 rockets in transit.

If you mess around with resource gathering via space POIs it'll definitely be helpful to reduce travel time. Kind of a mid-late game thing though I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is it better to cool off the oxygen that's coming into the base or to just have cold water pipes running through the base?

Or maybe both now that I'm thinking about it?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I somehow found myself almost entirely reliant on my geothermal power plant / water purifier. And a thousand cycles later, I only had 20% of my magma biome left.

I throttled it down from 5 turbines to 2-3 so I could still get some water purification going. But despite filling as much of my space biome with many solar panels as possible, I was still experiencing brownouts. Naturally, I figured out the solution to my problem is to make my second ever petroleum boiler, without consulting a guide.

I used an aquatuner as my heat source, since again, I'm trying to leave the magma for water purification only. I probably made the wrong choice in dimensions when I carving out the initial area,
so the entire top level is a little bit of a disaster with too much unused space and that awkward lip petroleum can just pile up on.

The airflow tiles were the wrong choice entirely. In my head I was trying to avoid pressure damage, but at the same time, since I could make them out of thermium, they could hold thermal mass and stabilize the temperature. Turns out it really doesn't work that way. Per the wiki:

quote:

Can act as insulation tile when "filled" with a Vacuum. Unlike a true vacuum, an airflow tile will still conduct heat from the tile directly beneath it.

I have the urge to tear them up to replace them with metal tiles, but it's finally stable and flowing after so many cycles and I don't want to screw anything up.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Travic posted:

Is it better to cool off the oxygen that's coming into the base or to just have cold water pipes running through the base?

Depends on what you have available. That being said, I have found a cold box filled with hydrogen and wheezeworts can zap a LOT of temperature out of radiant vent pipes. I fired one up recently and it took +50C 02 down to -40C. it leveled off after the box heat soaked some, but it was still mostly -10 to -20. I used steel radiant pipes though

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Travic posted:

It doesn't really matter as you have to remove the same amount of heat from the oxygen anyway. And you likely have to cool down the base. Pretty sure you can pump hot oxygen into atmosuit docks without having to cool it down with no penalty.

oh jay posted:

I somehow found myself almost entirely reliant on my geothermal power plant / water purifier. And a thousand cycles later, I only had 20% of my magma biome left.

Are you Francis John or do you watch him? Cause that design looks very familiar.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

nAre you Francis John or do you watch him? Cause that design looks very familiar.

I just ripped him off mostly. I've tried a few other ways of harnessing magma but a heat spike like his was the only one that really worked for me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

first game I ever took past 1,000 cycles had a set of four turbines running off of steam kept within a range by opening and closing doors for conduction, I had two relatively close volcanoes i'd let build up 50ish tiles of still-hot magma in insulated boxes and wound up by entirely-unguided trial-and-error arriving at a bastardized version of that kind of conductor setup.

also within a couple hundred cycles it had eaten most of 1,000 cycles of heat buildup from magma, so as a stopgap I tapped into the asteroid's core for heat and froze a lot of that, too, before I scaled up fuel production for other power generation methods. lost that save when I left it running when I thought it was paused, and my most recent non-auto save was from 200 very dicey cycles before getting up. There was plenty of food and oxygen generation, plus stored oxygen, so if I'd wanted to start completely over and print out a new crew to gradually fix everything I could have, but it was very depressing to see my whole crew dead

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So this colony is doing pretty well. Definitely the best one in a while. I've hit that weird point where tacking on to the existing infrastructure has become sort of a pain in the nuts and also my electrolysis setup is starting to hit the upper end of its production abilities. Sort of on the oxygen side, but definitely on the hydrogen side. I spent a lot of cycles making sure H2 didn't back up and now there's barely enough to keep it running.

Doesn't help that using an AT and a steam generator as a distiller has the AT running constantly, either. Hot H2 and O2? Whatever. The AT can bring those to a stable subfreezing temp in no time. Hot water? Good fuckin' luck, pal. Cold boxes don't do poo poo with it either, they heat soak in a cycle or two.

I think the best option at this point is to build some sort of liquid counterflow, but that's going to be a BIG redesign and rebuild. Doubly so if I want a seamless cutover. I don't think a non-seamless cutover is much of an option though. Prolly gonna build the new electrolyzer below the power station, or maybe way off to the side. It's been fire and forget so dupes shouldn't need to tend to it much once it's running. Time to crawl the map for hours on pause :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 25, 2022

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

oh jay posted:

I just ripped him off mostly. I've tried a few other ways of harnessing magma but a heat spike like his was the only one that really worked for me.

Without a heat spike when magma cools it solidifies in chunks where it touches the steam chamber instead of solid tiles, chunks then drop to the bottom and magma level falls. So you have to build a spike or you only get like 200 degrees out of 1600 converted to electricity.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 26, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Regulation is super important with geothermal too. I drained most of a magma core's thermal energy in shockingly few cycles boiling petroleum once

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is there a reason to poke radiation beyond research? Because I have enough research going just from four wheezeworts and a radbolt generator (Plus Meep running around with a healthy glow, though he doesn't spend much time standing next to the generator), I don't know what I'm gonna do with this layer of Beetas I have in my yucky asteroid. Radiation and stinging insects, my two actual phobias, together at last.

Speaking of my yucky asteroid, I have a copper volcano literally right over my bedrooms. I haven't excavated it yet, because I have no idea how to tame it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dareon posted:

Is there a reason to poke radiation beyond research? Because I have enough research going just from four wheezeworts and a radbolt generator (Plus Meep running around with a healthy glow, though he doesn't spend much time standing next to the generator), I don't know what I'm gonna do with this layer of Beetas I have in my yucky asteroid. Radiation and stinging insects, my two actual phobias, together at last.

Speaking of my yucky asteroid, I have a copper volcano literally right over my bedrooms. I haven't excavated it yet, because I have no idea how to tame it.

If you can build steam generators they can keep it in line

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Dareon posted:

Off the top of my head rads can be used to power mid-tier rockets, create diamonds from refined carbon and mutate plants in various useful ways. Nuclear power plants are tricky to set up but can run for extremely long periods (as in, hundreds and hundreds of cycles) and produce lots of steam power without dupe input. Might be some other stuff I'm forgetting.

IMO the most relevant usage is rad rockets, which may be your go-to transportation for a while depending on the resources you can access and how comfortable you are working with liquid oxygen and hydrogen.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Rads are also required for the interplanetary launchers, allowing you to fling payloads from planet to planet without using rockets.

Edit: There is also a special building on one of the outer asteroids that requires immense quantities of radbolts to activate. Needed to technically "win" the game. This is not something you do on your home asteroid though.

And for the truly insane, radbolts allow you to destroy neutronium. 1 radbolt destroys 1 gram of mass in any natural tile it hits. Most neutronium tiles are 20 tons, so this isn't exactly practical.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 27, 2022

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Smiling Demon posted:

Rads are also required for the interplanetary launchers, allowing you to fling payloads from planet to planet without using rockets.

Edit: There is also a special building on one of the outer asteroids that requires immense quantities of radbolts to activate. Needed to technically "win" the game. This is not something you do on your home asteroid though.

And for the truly insane, radbolts allow you to destroy neutronium. 1 radbolt destroys 1 gram of mass in any natural tile it hits. Most neutronium tiles are 20 tons, so this isn't exactly practical.

What happens if you destroy the border walls?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

So this colony is doing pretty well. Definitely the best one in a while. I've hit that weird point where tacking on to the existing infrastructure has become sort of a pain in the nuts and also my electrolysis setup is starting to hit the upper end of its production abilities. Sort of on the oxygen side, but definitely on the hydrogen side. I spent a lot of cycles making sure H2 didn't back up and now there's barely enough to keep it running.

Doesn't help that using an AT and a steam generator as a distiller has the AT running constantly, either. Hot H2 and O2? Whatever. The AT can bring those to a stable subfreezing temp in no time. Hot water? Good fuckin' luck, pal. Cold boxes don't do poo poo with it either, they heat soak in a cycle or two.

I think the best option at this point is to build some sort of liquid counterflow, but that's going to be a BIG redesign and rebuild. Doubly so if I want a seamless cutover. I don't think a non-seamless cutover is much of an option though. Prolly gonna build the new electrolyzer below the power station, or maybe way off to the side. It's been fire and forget so dupes shouldn't need to tend to it much once it's running. Time to crawl the map for hours on pause :v:

So, part of this is going to be mass. Water pipes carry 10kg packets, with high heat capacity and conductivity. Gas pipes are a tenth of that, and less efficient at carrying heat, so take a fraction of the heat to cool. Don't cool hydrogen, just burn it hot and you delete the heat.
Electrolysers produce way more hydrogen than they use, but if you struggle to keep on top of it, then the chances are you aren't pulling out the oxygen fast enough and the gas pressure is stopping the electrolysers from working at full capacity. A single electrolyser can sustain 8 dupes with some left over, so if you only have 7 dupes and no way of venting, then it will be stalling out regularly.
I have always found more efficient using ATs with a much smaller loop that cools a lump of something (just granite mixed with some metal tiles) for heat exchange, and then self contained cooling loops spreading the chill out as needed. It also makes upgrading to supercoolant much simpler in the future, as well as simpler to rip out one cooling loop without affecting the rest of the base.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

What happens if you destroy the border walls?

Liquids and gases stop at the edge of the map and aren't lost. Solid debris stops at the bottom of the map.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Rads are really good for the interplanetary stuff.
Radbolt engines are a very nice mid-game rocket engine. With a orbital payload gun thing and a trailblazer, you can colonize the distant round of planets without worrying about getting the headroom to land a large petrol engine rocket.

Nuclear reactors are also great. I've had mine running now for 1000+ cycles. It uses 10kg of uranium per cycle, which is easily sustainable from interstellar sources and bees, and produces a solid 7kW+ as well as purifying a polluted water vent to give sustainable dirt. It also provides a stream of radbolts on demand for rockets/diamond presses/interstellar transport Forgot to pack enough food? No worries - interstellar BBQ delivery is just a PartyLine call away!

In the beta, rads were 10 times less than live, so you barely had any sickness. Now, it can be a little dicey at times, but the occasional glowy eyed dupe is just the price you pay for new toys. But it's worth it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OzyMandrill posted:

So, part of this is going to be mass. Water pipes carry 10kg packets, with high heat capacity and conductivity. Gas pipes are a tenth of that, and less efficient at carrying heat, so take a fraction of the heat to cool. Don't cool hydrogen, just burn it hot and you delete the heat.
Electrolysers produce way more hydrogen than they use, but if you struggle to keep on top of it, then the chances are you aren't pulling out the oxygen fast enough and the gas pressure is stopping the electrolysers from working at full capacity. A single electrolyser can sustain 8 dupes with some left over, so if you only have 7 dupes and no way of venting, then it will be stalling out regularly.
I have always found more efficient using ATs with a much smaller loop that cools a lump of something (just granite mixed with some metal tiles) for heat exchange, and then self contained cooling loops spreading the chill out as needed. It also makes upgrading to supercoolant much simpler in the future, as well as simpler to rip out one cooling loop without affecting the rest of the base.

The only reason I cooled the hydrogen was so it could absorb more heat in counterflow, which did work pretty ok. The stumbling block in that design was that the flow is not consistent enough. Ditto for a polluted water counterflow. I maxed everything (steel radiant pipes and vents, diamond tiles enclosing them and also insulated). The water would absorb a very good amount of heat but there just wasn't enough. Interestingly my O2 comes out cold enough that it offsets a lot of the hot water being piped back, but obviously that won't last.

Gonna try that small loop through granite, maybe with a door to regulate exchange. Not sure yet. Thanks!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oop, hit a snowball. I need to expand the power in my yucky asteroid, I'm over 2 kW on a 1-kW wire, even if not everything's running at once. So I need to refine more metal, and I have neither the power nor the coolant to use a refinery, nor the hatches to run a ranch (Although I could probably just mail some smooth eggs over from the main base). Say, I've got that copper volcano up above my bedrooms, that'll produce a goodly amount of refined metal. Lemme look into taming it... Okay, doable... But I need steel. I can't make it on-site, there's not enough power. But I do have this evacuated biome I've been intending to make into an industrial block for weeks. Of course, I still need to actually pierce the oil biome, which means I need to deal with this mixed puddle that's in my access shaft...

And when I jumped back over ot my main base after a couple dozen cycles of attending to the gross one, I find I've developed another small problem.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Are you using some kind of "transit tubes can go behind airflow/mesh tiles" mod?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

OzyMandrill posted:

Rads are really good for the interplanetary stuff.
Radbolt engines are a very nice mid-game rocket engine. With a orbital payload gun thing and a trailblazer, you can colonize the distant round of planets without worrying about getting the headroom to land a large petrol engine rocket.

Nuclear reactors are also great. I've had mine running now for 1000+ cycles. It uses 10kg of uranium per cycle, which is easily sustainable from interstellar sources and bees, and produces a solid 7kW+ as well as purifying a polluted water vent to give sustainable dirt. It also provides a stream of radbolts on demand for rockets/diamond presses/interstellar transport Forgot to pack enough food? No worries - interstellar BBQ delivery is just a PartyLine call away!

In the beta, rads were 10 times less than live, so you barely had any sickness. Now, it can be a little dicey at times, but the occasional glowy eyed dupe is just the price you pay for new toys. But it's worth it.

If you want to get a little crazy try the Coolant limited reactor. Add a flow limiter valve to the coolant feed of your reactor and limit the feed to ~2000kg/s. It basically red lines your reactor and greatly raises the heat production.

I have 1 reactor running 20 Turbines flat out ~14kW same cost 10kg of refined uranium per cycle. Once I got it going it's been super stable. Though you will have to play around with the flow rate to find the sweet spot for your Turbine set up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

insta posted:

Are you using some kind of "transit tubes can go behind airflow/mesh tiles" mod?

Travel Tube Anywhere, yeah. It's nearly as handy as Piped Output.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Remember that you don't need a full industrial setup right away, it is ok to heat up a pool of water a bit to make the steel required for the full setup. Even a small pool of water can do quite a few runs through the refinery before it becomes problematic. And if you don't have refined metal for 2k wires, just use 1k wires and repair them as required for the first batch of refined metal.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dunno-Lars posted:

Remember that you don't need a full industrial setup right away, it is ok to heat up a pool of water a bit to make the steel required for the full setup. Even a small pool of water can do quite a few runs through the refinery before it becomes problematic. And if you don't have refined metal for 2k wires, just use 1k wires and repair them as required for the first batch of refined metal.

Pump from cold pool to refinery and from refinery to electrolyzers(with a tank to buffer in-between). Because combined heat capacity of oxygen and hydrogen is way lower than water electrolyzer deletes a lot of heat when fed hot water.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dunno-Lars posted:

And if you don't have refined metal for 2k wires, just use 1k wires and repair them as required for the first batch of refined metal.
Also don’t forget (like I do sometimes) about transformers. They’ll limit current flow so you may get brownouts a bit but your wire won’t get damaged.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dareon posted:

Oop, hit a snowball. I need to expand the power in my yucky asteroid, I'm over 2 kW on a 1-kW wire, even if not everything's running at once. So I need to refine more metal, and I have neither the power nor the coolant to use a refinery, nor the hatches to run a ranch (Although I could probably just mail some smooth eggs over from the main base). Say, I've got that copper volcano up above my bedrooms, that'll produce a goodly amount of refined metal. Lemme look into taming it... Okay, doable... But I need steel. I can't make it on-site, there's not enough power. But I do have this evacuated biome I've been intending to make into an industrial block for weeks. Of course, I still need to actually pierce the oil biome, which means I need to deal with this mixed puddle that's in my access shaft...

And when I jumped back over ot my main base after a couple dozen cycles of attending to the gross one, I find I've developed another small problem.

You don't have to get THAT fancy if the base can tolerate a little heat, which I think the yucky planet usually can? Most of them have been fairly cool that I've seen.

This is just an iron steam generator that drips water back on the hot metal. Instant evap cooling. The limitation is you'll never get lower than ~125C, but that cools rapidly when built. You don't HAVE to use the tempshift plates or oil either but they do help extract the most heat. Also please note that I am using a mod that makes the airlocks gas tight, so you may need your own solution for an entrance.

A thin layer of water keeps the generator well within temperature. 140 is about as hot as the steam ever gets so it's not hard to cool. Power is connected to the spine so any power generated is all gravy, baby.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

I think it's only aluminium and copper you can get away with a single turbine. Maybe also gold. Actually not sure on the copper one, it might overheat eventually.

Instead of the oil, you can just dump a full layer of water in there, aka 5 tons or so. The pressure per tile have to be under 800 kgs or something wild for the volcano to erupt.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well this one is copper and it's been running for quite some time, so if it does saturate it's none too quick. Also I have ~100 tons of copper now, so plenty to make a nice cooling loop :v:

AotC
May 16, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

... Actually not sure on the copper one, it might overheat eventually.

Instead of the oil, you can just dump a full layer of water in there, aka 5 tons or so. The pressure per tile have to be under 800 kgs or something wild for the volcano to erupt.

I think you can get away with a single for most copper volcanos (<350g/s). Pretty sure the average output can go up to 400g/s though so those might need two turbines. There's a nifty chart on the oni wiki's Metal Volcano page.

Easiest way to see how many turbines you need is to use the geyser calculator. Then just divide the heat output by 789.83kDTU (net amount of heat removed by a single turbine).

Yeah afaik it's two full tiles of liquid to stop it or 150kg of gas. That much steam can absorb a large amount of heat and bleed it off between eruptions pretty easily.

AotC fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 30, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They told me not to bother cooling my water. Well, they never dreamed of a cooling solution so revolutionary.

It even degerms!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
well there's definitely one cool tile :v:

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
1233 cycles in to my all-achievement run and I've just finished the 3 primary achievements, hooray! If all goes well, I'll finish all achievements by cycle 1500

"Cosmic Archaeology" is likely the rarest achievement on my Steam account

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve played this game for many hundreds of hours, but I always get to a point and start over. This is the first time I’ve considered long-long-term stuff. I’m doing the small asteroid map, and I’m at about cycle 700. About to go settle my third asteroid (not counting the starter).

Any suggestions for long-term food? I’ve got mostly hatches now, but it seems that eventually rock is going to run out (I’ve just started importing igneous and granite from the mostly empty transporter asteroid). Is it water based food, like bristle blossoms? I hope no one says shove voles, they always looked like a pain.

My decor is pretty much set, don’t use atmo suits much, and I have six or eight wild growing thimble reeds. I’ve got 700 reed fibers in storage. Am I at a point where I can stop farming regular dreckos?

Similarly, plastic. With about 25 tons stockpiled, are the glossy dreckos still necessary? I haven’t made any out of petroleum yet.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Any plan that cant be grown with a renewable resource is a pretty good choice yeah. Usually Bristle Blossoms with water, but for instance if you have a sulphur geyser and a cooling solution you can farm Grubfruit, and Preserved Grubfruit is a great space exploration food because it doesn't spoil.

Voles are indeed a pain but they produce a hilarious amount of calories and eat a renewable resource, but you probably don't need that much. Pacu are ravenous, but they can eat seeds and if you're willing to use a minor exploit they'll produce an infinite amount of food in a single tile at the cost of murdering your framerate. Slicksters are a nice bit of supplemental meat if you're already producing a bunch of CO2 with machinery.

Plastic is one of those things where you have enough until you suddenly don't, so I can't say where the cutoff is. That said, insulation can eat an an absolutely absurd amount amount of reed fiber (IIRC it's 20 per tile of insulated pipe) so you'll want either Dreckos or farmed Thimble Reeds if you want to make playing with some of the literally cooler endgame liquids easier.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah my asteroids kind of stink so far in terms of geysers. I think I kind of have a water surplus right now with a cool slush geyser and a cool steam vent (plus about 400 tons of ice as a buffer). No sulfur. Teleport asteroid just has oil wells. Third one is all metal volcanos and a salt water geyser.

I guess for now I’ll keep the plastic dreckos but I’ve only got about 150 tons of dirt for mealwood.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Sounds like cool slush/Bristle Blossoms is your best bet for now. The Oni Assistant can help you figure out how many blossoms you can support and how many dupes they'll feed.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
how good are cool slush geysers though? they just make everything a slam dunk

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Any plan that cant be grown with a renewable resource is a pretty good choice yeah. Usually Bristle Blossoms with water, but for instance if you have a sulphur geyser and a cooling solution you can farm Grubfruit, and Preserved Grubfruit is a great space exploration food because it doesn't spoil.

Voles are indeed a pain but they produce a hilarious amount of calories and eat a renewable resource, but you probably don't need that much. Pacu are ravenous, but they can eat seeds and if you're willing to use a minor exploit they'll produce an infinite amount of food in a single tile at the cost of murdering your framerate. Slicksters are a nice bit of supplemental meat if you're already producing a bunch of CO2 with machinery.

Plastic is one of those things where you have enough until you suddenly don't, so I can't say where the cutoff is. That said, insulation can eat an an absolutely absurd amount amount of reed fiber (IIRC it's 20 per tile of insulated pipe) so you'll want either Dreckos or farmed Thimble Reeds if you want to make playing with some of the literally cooler endgame liquids easier.

<bernie sanders meemee dot jaypeg>
I am once again reminding you that the farming station works for thimble reeds and cuts their water usage in half.
</bernie sanders meemee dot jaypeg>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I always end up running out of metal :/

Also - I launched my first rocket but I could not for the loving life of me figure out how to get it back. I sent it into orbit and there it remains. How the gently caress does this work