Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Deserts is good imo. Beasts I have and am a bit eh about, the new monsters are not that great and the crafting is not that engaging. Warriors of the North I skipped because I absolutely hated how the barbarians looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just play the base game for a few hours and get your face kicked in, if you enjoy the core loop of the game, then buy northern and deserts.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I really liked barbarian DLC so obviously your mileage may vary. If anything I find deserts more underwhelming

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Angry Lobster posted:

Just play the base game for a few hours and get your face kicked in, if you enjoy the core loop of the game, then buy northern and deserts.

Yeah I have 25 hours in the base game from back before there was any DLC, like I said, I'm returning to it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm starting with Warriors of the North and I'll add more DLC when I feel like I need more variety.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I have 25 hours in the base game from back before there was any DLC, like I said, I'm returning to it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm starting with Warriors of the North and I'll add more DLC when I feel like I need more variety.

Sorry, I misread your post, my bad. On one hand, the stuff in Blazing Sands have a great aesthetic and flavor, on the other hand, North is more similar to the base game, thus it may be the better if you're a returning player.

Am I the only one who thinks starting in the south is actually harder than starting in the middle or closer to the north? The arena is great however I'll take thugs and raiders over nomads any day of the week.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Angry Lobster posted:

Sorry, I misread your post, my bad. On one hand, the stuff in Blazing Sands have a great aesthetic and flavor, on the other hand, North is more similar to the base game, thus it may be the better if you're a returning player.

Am I the only one who thinks starting in the south is actually harder than starting in the middle or closer to the north? The arena is great however I'll take thugs and raiders over nomads any day of the week.

The wildlife is tougher as well. I guess the upside is that there's no orcs or barbs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah the south is not really an early game area. Nomads are definitely tougher than bandits and they're everywhere in the south.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
*looks around nervously*

y-yeah, i certainly don't compulsively start in the south and hire nomads while rolling in vast amounts of southern gold.
i mean... i didn't even know there was a desert!

*tugs collar*

is it sandy in here?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm thinking of picking this game back up again after I saw they dropped a new free DLC - one question, though. Which, if any, of the paid DLC are worth it? Do any of them change the game in such significant ways you can't go back, ala XCom 1 and 2's DLC, or are they all just "nice to have"?

All of them; they add to the game a great deal. I wouldn’t play without them at this point.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm not sure what to think of the anatomists. None of the potions seem that great so far? Am I missing something?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m playing on 1.4.x

I don’t really care for the balance changes with the new dlc and the new origins don’t particularly appeal to me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Iron Oath appears to be out on Steam.

I remember when Battle Brothers popped up on my Steam recommendations and I was like "oh huh another hex based fantasy tactics game" and I watched the clip and it was like "oh lol these little pawn dudes with no legs are decapitating each other this looks fuckin rad lol" tried it and was hooked. I looked up the game on Steam because of this post and was like "Man the art for this Battle Bros rip-off is just generic as gently caress looks boring." IDK maybe the game is good but I'll wait until I see widespread goonpraise ITT before I try it

tl;dr: art is important

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jarvisi posted:

I'm not sure what to think of the anatomists. None of the potions seem that great so far? Am I missing something?

No, you can stack them to make cool super soldiers but its really not worth the 10% loss in stats across the board.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I dunno making Witcher level bros seems like a pretty fun gimmick

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's a gimmick that'll absolutely take you the entire game and requires davkul armour + davkul armour gets you 90% of the way there anyway right?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

I didn't see all of the potions, but the early ones definitely paled in comparison to ones from mid game enemies. I'm not sure it ever equals their mood downside though, which is pretty dire. I also didn't like that the potions are once ever.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

dogstile posted:

It's a gimmick that'll absolutely take you the entire game and requires davkul armour + davkul armour gets you 90% of the way there anyway right?

The event required to get both pieces of armor at once can't fire before day 200 on a non-cultist origin iirc, so yeah, pretty much. Still, I think stacking potions on one or two guys might be viable without that armor though, you just have to play normally instead of trying to solo fights with one bro.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Did some update make talent stars rarer or someshit?* I'm on day 73 of my anatomist run and almost all my recruits are varying shades of garbage.

*: Rhetorical question, I'm sure they didn't and I'm just having rotten luck.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I remember when Battle Brothers popped up on my Steam recommendations and I was like "oh huh another hex based fantasy tactics game" and I watched the clip and it was like "oh lol these little pawn dudes with no legs are decapitating each other this looks fuckin rad lol" tried it and was hooked. I looked up the game on Steam because of this post and was like "Man the art for this Battle Bros rip-off is just generic as gently caress looks boring." IDK maybe the game is good but I'll wait until I see widespread goonpraise ITT before I try it

tl;dr: art is important

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! Although I love the core gameplay loop in BB, what makes it for me is the little drawings of weapons, armour, the art in the loading screens, the music etc. The feck-awful pixel art style of that Iron Oath game lsot my interest completely.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do you decide where to buy and sell? I usually carry a normal shield around and sell whenever it's priced at 16 or above, and have some reference buying prices (i.e. tools below 250), but I'm wondering whether I should be doing things differently.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

How do you decide where to buy and sell? I usually carry a normal shield around and sell whenever it's priced at 16 or above, and have some reference buying prices (i.e. tools below 250), but I'm wondering whether I should be doing things differently.

Sell at towns that you are friendly with, or currently has a raided trade route. Even better if you got both of those. Don't bother selling at villages or wooden keeps. Stone keeps and citadel work in a pinch, but won't buy as high as towns.

Buying is just based on your relationship with a settlement and the current modifier affecting it. So building relationships with a village or town with a armor or weapon Smith let's you buy things cheap.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 24, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You're gonna usually have some sort of looted trade good (amber, furs or something) on you and can compare the list price given when you mouse over it in your inventory to the offered price. You can get like 50% over list price when the conditions are right as mentioned by Roobanguy.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Fat Samurai posted:

A reference item is definitely the easiest way of telling when a town has good sell prices, I prefer a monster trophy since the inventory sort button puts them near the top. They also can't vary in price should you say, accidentally look at a damaged shield instead of the one you keep around on purpose.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I basically just look for any value that ends in a nice round number and then see what percentage of that I'm getting. There are a fair few items in the game worth 100, 200, 1000, etc. If I'm selling for close to 20% that's usually a good enough return to sell everything. Big cities with raided trade routes, for instance, you might get as high as 25%, but that's not reliable enough for me to pass up 18% or 19% sell value in the town where I already am, because I'd rather sell stuff quicker and go out and do more fights to get more loot to sell.

That's for regular loot like shields, weapons, beast parts, etc. Treasures and trade goods (furs, rings, etc.) should always sell for more than 100% value, and if you're getting under 100% it's worth hanging onto them until the next city. At a basic level though, I don't care too much about min-maxing sell value beyond ~20% for loot and 100% for trade goods and treasures, because gold is a renewable resource and once your company is strong enough to get the positive feedback loops rolling it's pretty easy to get more gold.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fat Samurai posted:

Personally I'm a little bit stricter with selling, like I usually sell at 18% or above, and I only really stock up on tools if they're closer to 200 than 250. But this is completely arbitrary based on my gut feeling, not based on any kind of optimised calculations or anything like that. For armor my reference is usually mail hauberks. If they're closer to 1k than 1.5k, I might nab some armor.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Fat Samurai posted:

How do you decide where to buy and sell? I usually carry a normal shield around and sell whenever it's priced at 16 or above
Yeah that's the way to go with the least headache imo. Though I prefer to greed my prices a bit if I'm not in pressing need for cash or out of inventory spaces. The only thing that I have a special rule for is treasures which I hold as long as possible to find prices of 20+. Usually most easily done in a southern town or in a town where you have lots of rep and some good events going atm

That one mod that shows the effects if you hover over town event bubbles is also good & cool because gently caress memorizing all that

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 24, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

That one mod that shows the effects if you hover over town event bubbles is also good & cool because gently caress memorizing all that

:agreed:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/311

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Finally killed the oathbringer guys, finished the oathtaker campaign properly.

bought beasts and north, and toying around with new origins - although i must say oathtakers are my absolute complete favorite.
Lone Wolf looks funny, but in the end it looks like hes gonna be just another nimble duelist with some friends behind him.

Maybe northern raiders, looks different enough.
Or maybe a super optimized oathtakers.

do you guys end your companies after endgame crisis or do you keep going?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I just play until I'm bored

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I didn't even know campaigns had finales! This davkul armor thing is new to me. What else has this kinda thing?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Finally killed the oathbringer guys, finished the oathtaker campaign properly.

bought beasts and north, and toying around with new origins - although i must say oathtakers are my absolute complete favorite.
Lone Wolf looks funny, but in the end it looks like hes gonna be just another nimble duelist with some friends behind him.

Maybe northern raiders, looks different enough.
Or maybe a super optimized oathtakers.

do you guys end your companies after endgame crisis or do you keep going?

Lots of content in the game is much too difficult to be done before the endgame crisis, I look at the first crisis as the beginning of the late game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I usually choose Noble War as my first crisis because it's the easiest way to get decent armor for everyone. After that starts the real end-game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Playing Lone Wolf on day 15, been lucky with my company so far. Both the LW and a militiaman are end game material and I have a couple more decent shield carriers and an archer for the mid game. Most of my bros are at 110 armour because raiders keep forgetting their hats.

What's the next step? I have an ambition to reach 12 brothers (I'm at 10), so that's the next step, and I'm going to start hitting the arena for resolve and money.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Boinking raiders in the head is really fuckin funny

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AG3 posted:

I usually choose Noble War as my first crisis because it's the easiest way to get decent armor for everyone. After that starts the real end-game.

I do that now, but I’ve always been an advocate of going undead first, for newer players. It’s definitely easier.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Undead has the easiest fights for sure, Noble War can be nice for very new players since it's the only crisis you can just not participate in at all, though I wouldn't really recommend doing so unless all your best guys got murdered just before or something. The noble houses trading settlements back and forth with each other doesn't really impact the world map as much as having loads of roving undead or Greenskin hordes

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

aphid_licker posted:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

aphid_licker posted:

I know the two-handed flail isn't ideal but swinging that thing around and crushing a bunch of guys at once is sooooo satisfying

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I found a named 2-handed flail with +30% chance to hit heads, turning multiple heads into red mist per turn is certainly something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

8 Ball posted:

I found a named 2-handed flail with +30% chance to hit heads, turning multiple heads into red mist per turn is certainly something

That dude needs Ijirok Armor since he’ll be getting surrounded a lot. Plus it’s thematically appropriate.

Today I found a 1h hammer with extra penetration - I think it was something crazy like 68% - and extra damage as well - 50. So I’m making a hammer duelist I guess.