Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Giant Ethicist posted:

No, it's the simple reason I'm pretty sure. Ghost stories give you chills! (Not that your reading couldn't be right though - but he calls himself "obake" rather than "yuurei", which would obfuscate the "rei" pun a bit.)

That's what I was wondering since there are several words for "ghost" it could have been!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hostile V posted:

High School Football in America is a death cult with some really manipulative coaches who can try and insert themselves into a position of parental authority in your life sometimes. Not all the time but like a substantially more than nonzero amount of times.

Death cult I could get, but they just seem weirdly whiny. It's behavior that would be more in place with an elementary school age soccer team. Which I suspect is where Holbrook was getting his motivation.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

This is bizarrely explicit for Luann. Using the words "turned on"? And showing an (exceedingly mild) kink? What has got into Evans today?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

"What the hay do these kids today see in Bob Ross?" in 1991 is a real "old man yells at cloud" take.

readingatwork posted:

I think Peirce himself is the one who likes Bob Ross. This feels like him poking fun at himself more than anything else.
People are still watching Bob Ross. Every weekend there is a stream over on twitch: https://twitch.tv/bobross

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "172 - Jucika Loves Beer"

"173 - Jucika And The Motorist"

Quit your job, marry Jucika.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Some Guy TT posted:

I appreciate, EasyEW, that you're doing multiple posts a day now. More comics are great, but I often read or skip a whole page at a time and the longer the page is the more likely I am to skip in the middle of it.

Not doing it all in one sitting makes it feel like less work somehow. That's a psychological hack I was counting on, to be honest.

Also, just to give you an idea of how unkillable Our Boarding House once it got its legs under it, it might be worth mentioning that the grand finale of the strip involved a character selling a Middle Eastern emirate on solar energy. The only reason I'm telling you that now is we're half a century and some change away from that storyline. It's going to take us some time to catch up. (November 7-9, 1921, when you were lucky to have an electric refrigerator.)

Toonerville Folks (February 3-5, 1919)

Dok's "All Hands On Deck" Duck (January 31, 1914, and it's a shame I haven't figured out who the guy with the Dream Book is supposed to be.)

Little Lefty, featuring some more of that draftsmanship that reminds you Comrade Del was destined for bigger things outside of the Party. (June 8-10, 1936)

Apart from being an evocative turn of phrase, Bughouse Fables was one of Billy DeBeck's non-Barney Google projects. It was basically Opposite Day: The Newspaper Cartoon.

Blondie (From Zero), in which jeez, Irma really turned a dubious corner, didn't she? (December 14-16, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 24, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Kennel posted:

Not sorry

drat you.

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Awww.

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry participates in something that I'm sure would have a political cartoonist sweating, or Blueberry takes marriage vows VERY seriously, or Chaos reigns

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

go monya :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics (note that 11/16's paper is missing for some mysterious reason)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Will Henry still hasn't paid me for including my likeness in his comic. :mad:

Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton/Flyin' Jenny Sunday Power Hour Feb. 2, 1941

Edit: I'm surprised people are unfamiliar with the snow goons arc in Calvin & Hobbes, it was always my favourite, but then there's that one that got posted with Susie staying at Calvin's house after school one day that I had never seen before, so you know, it happens.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Congratulations, Phantom, you played yourself.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 17, 2000)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Friends help friends, especially drunk friends, and I am sure there will be no repercussions from today’s comic.

Bruceski posted:

This one's fun trying to read the guy's voice as either "doesn't realize they pulled a racism on him" or "knows exactly what they were doing and is mocking them with dark sarcasm" (I mean the character's perspective, the author/reader's is pretty clear). I'm inclined toward the latter, and it's having me rethink some other Bootie strips where I read characters as clueless.

I remember the dollop did an episode on the US government getting increasingly frustrated that people living around DC (mostly Virginia, IIRC) kept being racist to actual foreign dignitaries from the newly decolonised African countries. I wonder if that had anything to do with this strip.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Hobnob posted:

This is bizarrely explicit for Luann. Using the words "turned on"? And showing an (exceedingly mild) kink? What has got into Evans today?

his own fingers

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I remember the dollop did an episode on the US government getting increasingly frustrated that people living around DC (mostly Virginia, IIRC) kept being racist to actual foreign dignitaries from the newly decolonised African countries. I wonder if that had anything to do with this strip.

Wouldn't mind hearing that myself. Any chance of remembering the exact episode?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Pondus

L-Innsikt

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Prediction: She's Ian's ex.

Toby putting out some big "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest" energy to Ian here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 27, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean gives us "It was all a dream...OR WAS IT? WHOAAahhhwaitaminnit, it totally was."

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

Wouldn't mind hearing that myself. Any chance of remembering the exact episode?

I remember it too and am looking for it. When the UN convened in New York, diplomats from non-white countries were consistently denied services. There was a State Dept. brouhaha and restaurants, etc settled down. If memory serves, some local folks read of this, and found it useful to claim to be an African diplomat to obtain service - apparently it worked.

Then, there was this: https://www.history.com/news/african-diplomat-segregation-scandal-jfk

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 24, 2022

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

God, I love Wallace the Brave. Spud is having the time of his life, instead of being distraught.

That's a sort of wholesome community that is very rare, especially when combined with actual humor instead of a cloying, saccharine demand that you, dear reader, feel a part of it, too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/23/02

Brenda Starr 8/9-11/48

Smokey Stover 7/6/47

Everyday Movies 1/28/35

"Oh come on, Bess, just give me two dollars for the next race and I won't ask you for any more."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wow, an actually relatable Crankshaft.

TAXONOMY IS HORSESHIT. 90% OF VEGETABLES ARE JUST THE SAME BASIC GROWTH FORM loving AROUND, IT'S ALL loving BRASSICA BABEY. PRETTY MUCH ALL CITRUS FRUITS ARE IN AN INCESTUOUS ORGY OF THREE CULTIVARS RUNNING A PERPETUAL TRAIN ON EACH OTHER AND LOVIN' IT. TREES ARE BULLSHIT. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON ANIMALS, WE ALL KNOW "DOG" IS JUST A GENETIC SHAPE THAT GETS SQUEEZED AROUND.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Popcorn is actually pretty healthy as long as you're not like slamming kettle corn or super buttery movie stuff? I dunno I saw this and am angry. Popcorn is good :mad:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good Listener posted:

Popcorn is actually pretty healthy as long as you're not like slamming kettle corn or super buttery movie stuff? I dunno I saw this and am angry. Popcorn is good :mad:

Look at the panel. The sugar, fat, and sodium levels are huge so it's obviously one of those super flavored caramel butter corn concoctions.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea it has to be haha. I'm just like..just buy normal popcorn mom! :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"I'm getting a snack that isn't Chippy Chips"

your daughter won a lifetime supply, why would she assume you're getting a snack that is Chippy Chips?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Third panel is the best panel I’ve ever seen. Wow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

:tinfoil:

FoxTrot

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Northern Virginia's a weird place. It's very diverse and the vast majority I think like it that way, but there are some hardcore chuds here too. It's changed a lot in the last 50 years so you have people who grew up here when it was basically almost all White and rednecky so it's probably from that.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Definitely his ex.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon