Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Sogas has a really good arc where he's become a much more responsible and helpful member of the community forged entirely through his bonds he's made with the Koichi and crew its not a 180 of a character turn nor does he constantly bring up his passed history or the fact that he's changed. All his little moments this last arc have been fantastic it's just not as consistently recapping who he used to be every other line like say... Endeavor.

"His past as a scumbag is never brought up" because it's not loving relevant to the man he's trying to be now outside of motivation which you already knoe nor what he's trying to do now. Which goes along with Vigilantes much more rehabilitation focused take on their antagonists and villains. Most of the townies we've befriended were street toughs or criminals. Them having been shittier in the past is a Known thing, the comic assumes you know this because you read the previous chapters.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Koichi's a good character in that he and Midoriya are pretty good examples of how you can have two genuinely good people who're very different in the end. To be honest though Koichi is still less interesting than Deku- he just ironically has a stronger overall supporting cast instead of 1-2 standouts. You get to know Koichi's neighborhood pretty well.

This last battle was very, very whatever to me. Like it felt ridiculous even in the face of an arc where they fight hanging off the bottom of the space needle or whatever and All Might picks up the top half of a building to save everyone. The "Koichi's quirk grew three sizes that day", "Koichi Ultra Instinct", and literal ghost pep-talks poo poo is way, way, way more dumb than any of the multiple quirk stuff in the main series. I feel like it could've been served better as a just really nasty bare-knuckle ground-level fight with the background of the suicide bomber henchmen instead of Koichi fighting a fire kaiju. The Vigilantes author seems to really like going to giant villains for major setpieces.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
shouldnt endeavor be in prison for domestic abuse right about now anyway?

i mean I guess there's a big bullshit jrpg final boss battle happening but i feel like the story will just end with dabi dying and the whole rest of the family forgiving him and saying he was just such a great dad

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 23, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Casey Finnigan posted:

shouldnt endeavor be in prison for domestic abuse right about now anyway?

i mean I guess there's a big bullshit jrpg final boss battle happening but i feel like the story will just end with dabi dying and the whole rest of the family forgiving him and saying he was just such a great dad

Japan doesn’t work that way. America doesn’t even work that way. Someone would need to take him to trial/court first.

Also if you think that’s how the story with Endeavour is going to end you haven’t been paying attention to the fact that literally every time they talk about him amongst the Todoroki’s they never forget he was a poo poo dad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I think there's something kinda interesting that could've been done with the repeating themes of Bakugo and Endeavor being bad people who are good at their very necessary jobs. It's clearly a major arc in the series, but the problem is those storylines kind of work in isolation (even from each other) so it doesn't really feel like a full-on exploration of the thorns of that concept, just a glancing touch before returning to a bunch of shonen battles. Same goes for the "villains are failed by society" bit. Both of these ideas are interesting, way more interesting than Midoriya having a classic hero's journey, but it feels MHA is bound both by not being a serious drama piece and also just not settling its attention on one theme or another.

e: I don't want that to come off as just another slam on the series, there's enough of that in the thread, I'm acknowledging the series does do interesting things, I just wish there was more of it. Hopefully it inspires someone else or Horikoshi returns to the concepts later, but probably not.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 23, 2022

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like the ending Endeavor gave himself where even after living his dream as the #1 hero he spends the rest of his life alone in an empty house.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was waiting for the setups to see what the likely outcomes were.

I was thinking Hawks would die if he ended up on the same battlefield as Toga, which didn't happen so he's probably fine.
I figured if Endeavor ended up fighting Dabi he was gonna die, but he isn't so that's not happening.

Endeavor's thing is gonna be beating All Might's old nemesis that All Might himself could never defeat and truly becoming "#1".
Shoto is going to save Dabi. I can't see it happening any other way. This isn't going to end with Shoto watching his brother burn himself to death, or learning "well sometimes you just gotta kill badguys" and killing his own brother. Not happening.

The only good guys who might really be in trouble are the crew dealing with Shigaraki right now but it's so full of characters who whose deaths or dismemberment would cause the fans to riot or people who've already dodged a zillion death flags I'm not really sure you're gonna see anyone there get hosed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dabi is probably going to die no matter what but I suspect Shoto's big victory is going to be talking him down enough that he dies doing something heroic instead. He's a barely functional decaying corpse, I don't think he's walking away from anything, but there's a difference between dying in an act of self-destructive hatred and not doing that.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Before his body finally gives out, Shoto will hug the fried near-corpse of his brother, and apologize for what his dad did to him. Dabi will shed a single tear of blood, and pass on with his eyes open in shock, as if he realized he hosed up his entire life.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One of the main things that makes Vigilantes more interesting to me is that time actually passes in a realistic manner. Aren’t they in the third year of the story while MHA is still in the first school year (maybe 2nd?)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I just prefer Koichi's quirk to anything Deku has. It got a little bit ridiculous towards the end, but I suppose some people luck out and get relatively meagre quirks to start out with that balloon into pretty powerful quirks once they properly understand it. Deku's base kit was always shonen lameness but I feel like his extra stuff doesn't make him more interesting, just let's him hit harder. And I suppose that's the end goal, to beat the final boss you just gotta hit them... really hard!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The problem with regular MHA is that Mirio should've been the protagonist's story we followed regardless of Deku being the main character.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Koichi has a great quirk but until the final fight it wasn't really strong enough to have great fights to go with it. I also don't agree that Deku's powers were ever lame, he's had the best fights in either manga imo. Breaking his fingers fighting Todoroki was the hypest poo poo when it happened. Going 1000000% vs Muscular remains the emotional highlight of MHA to me personally. Both Deku vs Bakugo fights are great. The Gentle fight is cool and strategic. Deku going feral vs Shigaraki was loving raw as hell. Deku vs Nagant is another good technical fight where they're both fighting smart.

The multiple quirk angle is definitely less interesting than Deku having to strategically use his quirk because he broke his body whenever he did, but Hori couldn't keep that stuff up. I can understand why he introduced it since him steadily getting stronger and faster with Full Cowl + Airforce wasn't nearly as interesting as either. Plus Black Whip is so loving good it could be his main quirk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't mind Koichi's quirk getting more powerful because everything he gets is a logical extension of what he's already been shown to do.

Like his "ultra instinct" is just what he was already able to do which was incredibly deft and agile dodges that kept even pro heroes off guard. Him doing it more easily is Anime but it's anime in a way that coherently grows from his original style which wasn't even fighting but dodging the poo poo out of everything.

Changing the positions of his powers is something he's been shown to be able to do before in multiple ways, it is just that he's pulling out new methods in a desperate attempt to stay alive. And if any of them had been Insta-Wins then I'd say sure, that's OP, but none of them are. Even as someone who is basically built to counter his opponent he's getting the utter poo poo kicked out of him and desperately just trying to stay alive and keep the crazy flaming protoNomu from killing people. His victory condition isn't winning, it's trying to hold out until All-Might arrives.

And that just is a more interesting power set. He's someone who isn't going to be winning battles easily but is exceptionally good at drawing things out, and he has a personality where drawing things out isn't a clever tactic but one where he's desperately trying to find a non-fighting solution to the issue. And that is what I think Deku is missing even as the plot trends towards it. Both series like to focus on the idea that the villains aren't just irredeemable monsters and having a hero whose powerset is "limit damage and keep themselves alive" is a lot cooler than "Has all the powers."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Every wacky new application of his quirk that Koichi pulled out did literally nothing but kept him alive for a few more seconds. I really, really don't understand where the "OP" complaints come from; he didn't even end up beating the bad guy, he merely survived long enough for the bad guy to burn himself out.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 24, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda think Koichi’s quirk makes sense in that it probably works the same for most quirks, like yeah “making pillars of ice/fire” and “sweating explosion fuel” are just plain better than normal stuff but we’ve seen with Kirashima that without training even decently strong stuff is just “oh he can make himself a little craggy I guess” so most trash quirks are just instances of people not being interested in being heroes/vigilantes like Midorya’s mom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda think Koichi’s quirk makes sense in that it probably works the same for most quirks, like yeah “making pillars of ice/fire” and “sweating explosion fuel” are just plain better than normal stuff but we’ve seen with Kirashima that without training even decently strong stuff is just “oh he can make himself a little craggy I guess” so most trash quirks are just instances of people not being interested in being heroes/vigilantes like Midorya’s mom.

Even then crappy quirks can go a long way. I mean the Bellybutton Laser is about the very definition of a lovely quirk and he still managed to turn it into some pretty good attacks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

The problem with regular MHA is that Mirio should've been the protagonist's story we followed regardless of Deku being the main character.

I was 100% in on Mirio until he got his Quirk back offscreen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The problem with regular MHA is that Mirko should've been the protagonist's story we followed regardless of Deku being the main character.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

Every wacky new application of his quirk that Koichi pulled out did literally nothing but kept him alive for a few more seconds. I really, really don't understand where the "OP" complaints come from; he didn't even end up beating the bad guy, he merely survived long enough for the bad guy to burn himself out.

It wasn't that he was OP or anything, it was just that he was pulling it all out of his rear end in the last fight without any training or build-up. And that would be fine if it wasn't something like 4 power-ups one after the other.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nephthys posted:

It wasn't that he was OP or anything, it was just that he was pulling it all out of his rear end in the last fight without any training or build-up. And that would be fine if it wasn't something like 4 power-ups one after the other.
All the new things Koichi did with his quirk were all the same power up though? Moving the energy he can generate around and changing its shape. It was good because none of the new uses did anything to raise the relative "power level" or output of his quirk. Focusing it on a small point makes it shoot out and penetrate, spreading it out over a wider area lets it deflect some incoming attacks, projecting it from his back or sides lets him deflect attacks from his blind spots. The whole upgrade was just more/better control of what he was already doing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

All the new things Koichi did with his quirk were all the same power up though? Moving the energy he can generate around and changing its shape. It was good because none of the new uses did anything to raise the relative "power level" or output of his quirk. Focusing it on a small point makes it shoot out and penetrate, spreading it out over a wider area lets it deflect some incoming attacks, projecting it from his back or sides lets him deflect attacks from his blind spots. The whole upgrade was just more/better control of what he was already doing.

The first one he had was that he was suddenly able to airwalk continually when previously he could only take a few steps. The only justification for this is that he's very determined to reach Pop. Also, other characters need to train to come up with new moves, even if they come up with a new application. Deku slammed his rear end into a wall 100 times before he figured out Full Cowl and he worked on Airforce and Black Whip for weeks. The fact that Koichi comes up with all this on the fly is the definition of pulling it out of his rear end. Especially since half the fight he's concussed out of his mind, being given new moves by a freaking ghost. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen so many times back to back with Ghost AfO telling the reader each time that Koichi's inventing these things on the spot because he's so good at using his quirk.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 24, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If you have a guy that can throw a punch and in the endfight he suddenly learned how to ukemi, then parkour, then judo, and finally the Shoryuken from the ghost of his mentor, you'd be rightly calling bullshit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I had to look up what Captain Celebrity's powers were and they are basically tactile telekinesis, making him the best person for Koichi to train with/surpass.

If When they put him in the main series, I hope he gets a legit costume.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I legitimately do not think we have enough time left in the main series to do that outside of like a background appearance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, at this point I hope they just give Koichi an honorary Hero’s License and let him be Captain Celebrity’s sidekick for real (as I said before, the kid’s more than earned it by now)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does this mean Vigilantes is getting a new name or just ending?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Azubah posted:

Does this mean Vigilantes is getting a new name or just ending?

I wouldn’t mind a continuation honestly but I think it’s just ending (not sure how many chapters are left at this point though)

I wouldn’t mind an anime adaption either but we’ll see how it goes

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-351/chapter/24265?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013116

I guess you could say things are... heating up!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just realized, this is the third chapter in a row with the word “flames” in the title

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's a little weird how Hori keeps referencing war crimes :v:

Look closely at the action. Endeavor's sidekicks are tanking/deflecting Hell Spider to give Todoroki time to charge up Phosphor, which looks like it's a simultaneous combination of both his Ice and Fire quirks to make an explosive punch.

I thought in 349 that Kido was death flagging somewhat (especially with the face reveal) but he seems to be holding up fine.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To give a credit where credit is due: "Yes, Endavour is a horrible person, what he did to our family is hosed up and I don't think his attempt at redemption changes anything about it, but that absolutely doesn't excuse all those completely uninvolved civilians you murdered and all the other poo poo you pulled, that is all you" is both an obviously correct take for Dabi's whole bullshit, while also not being the way how most shonen would handle the situation, as they would absolutely try to play "Endeavour is now different!" card. (there is a chance MHA will still do that in next few chapters, in which case I will loving riot)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The one good thing of the Endeavor arc is that it seems that Hori has zero interest in redeeming Endeavor as a person. All he can do is atone and atonement doesn’t equal transformation in this case

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kyte posted:

If you have a guy that can throw a punch and in the endfight he suddenly learned how to ukemi, then parkour, then judo, and finally the Shoryuken from the ghost of his mentor, you'd be rightly calling bullshit.

Yeah, it was cute when Koichi was able to deflect Six's attacks because of his time as the Crawler, but then he was learning new applications for his powers at an absurd rate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This fight is hosed because this is a Shonen manga. I didn't sign up for this to watch someone 'Do or die' and come up with 5 different ways to use their powers in the middle of a fight, I'm here to have the hero spend an arc, with an instructor, being taught how to properly use their abilities to the fullest! Imagine if Goku just 'came up' with the Kaio Ken midfight with Vegeta out of nowhere, or Yusuke just imagined using his whole arm instead of a finger for the Spirit Gun? Awful storytelling. Absolute nonsense.

This a manga, you don't just gain more exp mid fight and learn Zapple, you do a training arc and let people reading the work know of their extra abilities ahead of time. This is Yu-Gi-Oh -By the way this card exists to counter that perfectly- seat of the pants storytelling.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah imagine if Goku pulled out a new form he learned offscreen or just got stronger out of nowhere mid fight or even just started busting out techniques of his allies and teachers he saw One Time before using.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
going to guess that came from the viz comment section

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Maybe I'm just giving too much benefit of the doubt, but I figured it was that Koichi had always been doing that stuff subconsciously, and Number 6 was just the first person fast enough to see it happening. And that the only power he pulled out of his rear end was the punch. Maybe I have to reread it, but as ridiculous as it all seemed, it at least made sense to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you aren't ok with powers being pulled out the rear end at least once in a while quit reading shonen manga forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My suspension of disbelief lasted about as far as him suddenly being able to splint his battered limbs with his quirk because a vision of his mentor suggested it in the moment.