Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Know anyone near you that does aluminum welding and fab? Far from uncommmon to bandsaw the trans housing at the right distance (would need figuring out) and weld a plate to take the trans bolt pattern. A little bit of weird legos but doable.

I'll look around and see what I can find, I really appreciate the idea :)

Just weighed the car at 3015lb with me and 8gal of fuel. It's chubby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll look around and see what I can find, I really appreciate the idea :)

Sure; if there's one thing I've learned over the decades it's that trying to make a given OEM gearbox not break is expensive and mostly doomed to failure. Supercharged FA20 at least makes gear ratios easy as I assume there's a pretty wide powerband.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Can't remember what episode it was but they did a bell housing that way on Dirt Every Day. Simplified overview but might be able to give you some ideas.

Signed up for March 12th at NCM with BingeTokyo, not sure what I'll be driving but hoping to make it this time.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Feel free to add (tentative) to stuff you're unsure about since I'm sure that applies to everyone right now given [gestures wildly at everything]

Someone please put up some events in CA and I might actually go if only to meet a goon or two IRL

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

That reminds me I REALLY need to figure out an oil cooling solution by then.

What are you thinking and have you actually had oil temp issues? I’ve been very happy with the stock RS except for the god drat inability to add camber.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

What are you thinking and have you actually had oil temp issues? I’ve been very happy with the stock RS except for the god drat inability to add camber.

Yeah, at Watkins Glen I get oil temp high enough that the car pulls boost after 3-4 laps if I'm not backing off. This was in October when it was cold and wet, too. I only have a mild, off the shelf 93 tune; no hardware mods.

Mishimoto is kind of the defacto for oil coolers, I think - https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-focus-rs-oil-cooler-2016.html

I also need to get racing buckets put in because my car has a loving stupid sunroof that shoves the helmet into my skull and it fucks my back up. Anyone have recommendations for shops not too far from Buffalo to get the work done? I don't have the stuff to do the oil cooler myself and I want anything safety-related to be done by people who know what the gently caress they're doing.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 2, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I don't have recent experience (about 8 years ago) but when I was working on cars regularly I never saw a single mishimoto product that didn't wind up leaking.

It was so bad that all you had to do for a warranty was send a pic of the leak to get a replacement, no returning the original required.

This was all radiators so ymmv.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, an oil cooler leaking on track would be waaaaaaaay worse than a radiator leaking so....

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I would lean Setrab over Mishimoto myself just from personal experience and what I've seen fail.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I upgraded my car (Subaru) to a Koyo all aluminum radiator this year, any bad experiences with those? It feels pretty well made.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Zero issues with Koyo (ever) and I'll second the mistrust of Mishimoto.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Koyo is good and an OEM supplier. I bought one for my project happily.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only problem is I can't find anyone having used on in a Focus RS before but I guess a decent shop will know what to order. Now to find one around here that knows that the hell they're doing....

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Cool, thanks. The price was almost the same as Mishimoto (315 vs 300 bucks). The only mishimoto part on my car is the turbo inlet and it fits like rear end. I would have run something else but it was the only thing in stock when I ordered.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

KillHour posted:

The only problem is I can't find anyone having used on in a Focus RS before but I guess a decent shop will know what to order. Now to find one around here that knows that the hell they're doing....

Jesus you're not kidding just mishimoto for page after page of Google.

Looks like a standard sandwich plate. Just got to pick one that matches the threads on your oil filter. Then measure where you want it to go for a max dimension on the cooler. Leave room for brackets and fittings.

If there's a ton of room you might want to do calculations on how big to get enough cooling with the smallest cooler possible. Or just crib the sizes from mishimoto.

Make brackets, route lines, ducting if you're feeling fancy.

Or go old-school and slap it on a front splitter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a 1 car garage with no lights or power and hand tools I'm not doing any of it myself, gently caress that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh I was more meaning what to order, or at least be able to error check the shop.

Edit: and re reading my post it didn't read that way at all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There have to be some decent shops in your area, just have to focus on ones that actually takes care of track cars rather than being the traditional bolt on some modz shop.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

cooltech has an oil cooler that uses a setrab heat exchanger. I can't recommend any shops near buffalo to install it though.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-focus-rs/98-rs-engine-oil-cooler-kit.html

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

I've run Mishimoto stuff on my Integra without any issues and trust their products. The other big player in the oil cooler game is Setrab and I would definitely spring for their stuff over Mishimoto's. It's important to keep in mind though that your oil cooler is only as good as the fittings, line, and sandwich plate you use to feed the thing. If you cheap out on any of those you're gonna have a bad time. I'd also recommend taking a look at this JBR kit.

https://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=987

e: Anyone do any karting here? I came across this 24 hour LO206 race at NOLA Motorsports Park in March and I'm heavily debating buying an LO206 Kart and running this event with my brother. I'd really like to start doing true W2W racing but outside of chumpcar type stuff I don't know if I'll ever make that goal a reality in cars. Maybe I should just nut up and light more money on fire.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/simcraft-24hrs-of-nola-motorsports-park-288542

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 4, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

cooltech has an oil cooler that uses a setrab heat exchanger. I can't recommend any shops near buffalo to install it though.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-focus-rs/98-rs-engine-oil-cooler-kit.html

Looks like this might be the way to go. Thanks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah that looks nice.

Perrin does pre-made kits for a few cars (mostly subarus) that are pretty good. Use a setrab core and then you get pre-made lines and brackets to just bolt it onto the rad support. When you consider making the hoses and fittings and then figuring out where and how to mount oil coolers the price of the pre-made kits compared to just a core and the parts isn't so bad.

Mishimoto is definitely not high quality stuff but for the most part works ok. The focus oil cooler kit they make does seem to have a nice shroud deal that direct some air in/out of it.

Actually directing air into and then out of your coolers greatly increases their effectiveness. And, if you say, have the vents going out the hood you'll usually decrease front end lift as well, since that air that would normally be coming into the front and then out the wheel wheels and bottom of the car is now getting directed up. So anyway yeah an oil cooler is good but some speed holes and sheet metal work is cheap and effective.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Are there any snell open face helmets where you could also wear a n95?

Looking to have a mask on entire event basically. Sorry but I don't want to risk it around now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
On the oil cooler front mine was an earls unit which came with the engine I bought years ago to be rebuilt. I ended up fitting it where the std SMIC went as it would get decent airflow.

This was fine for a few years until my last day in December where the actual core cracked. I’ve replaced it with a mocal unit and will also add some rubber mounts as I think vibration over time killed it. I kinda assumed if the intercooler was mounted there it would be fine for the oil cooler too.

To be fair the old core was probably around 10 years old as it came out of a car that had been imported from Japan but had the ecu stolen. So the po just stored the whole thing until I bought it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Are there any snell open face helmets where you could also wear a n95?

Looking to have a mask on entire event basically. Sorry but I don't want to risk it around now.

Unless you're going to have someone in the car with you and the windows up I'd do N95 around the pits then balaclava under a full face. Not sure who you're running with but a lot of organizations are doing outdoors drivers meetings and some are streaming it so you can watch from your pit spot.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Halfway through my first day (NASA AZ, HPDE3) at Chuckwalla. It's good, it'd be absurdly hot here in the summer, and every apex is significantly later than I would have guessed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Halfway through my first day (NASA AZ, HPDE3) at Chuckwalla. It's good, it'd be absurdly hot here in the summer, and every apex is significantly later than I would have guessed.

Helllll yeah, best track we have. Have fun out there, wish my car wasn't in pieces. :)

Prepare for the afternoon winds / sandstorm.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used one of those cheapo TPMS on track days? E.g. https://www.banggood.com/IMars-T240...ur_warehouse=CN

I never really considered it before but seems like it would be really cool to keep an eye out on pressure and temperature in real time and not have to go around measuring poo poo after every stint.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone used one of those cheapo TPMS on track days? E.g. https://www.banggood.com/IMars-T240...ur_warehouse=CN

I never really considered it before but seems like it would be really cool to keep an eye out on pressure and temperature in real time and not have to go around measuring poo poo after every stint.

I think the issue with most of those is the really slow update rate. Typically they will update once a minute or more. There are some systems intended for track use that update every second but those trade off sensor battery life.

The other this that makes me nervous is adding the weight of the sensor to the valve stem. Track driving puts a lot more forces on the wheels and having the sensor cause the valve to fail would be bad.

evilhacker
Feb 27, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I used one of those when I started. At first, I liked it a lot - they are slow to update and not super accurate but they are great at reminding you to air up the next day after your tire has cooled and also good at warning you if your tires are way too hot. They are consistently inaccurate so for mine I just had to add a few pounds to the display.

If you do this enough, they start to be a bigger pain than they are worth - they get much hotter than a normal plastic cap and you still need to adjust air so pressure adjustments become more difficult. Also the reader has an alarm that goes off so you have to listen to that every time you adjust pressures. Finally, and this is what did it for me - in certain circumstances they will let all the air out of your tire. It usually happens when they were tightened while on hot tires and then allowed to cool down a lot (for me it was a January HPDE where the tires got hot on track and then cooled to near freezing overnight).

IMO, it’s better to run capless and just use a handheld gauge.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks! I ended up ordering one when it was on sale anyway just to see what's up. I'll run it on my winter tires for now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33025442514.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802vGmgrF

It's the external MU7J type. The sensors are pretty bulky but not too heavy, I'll test it out later if it causes any disbalance. Otherwise it seems to work es expected. I'll have to cross-check the pressures manually but the left side is in the sun so that would explain the temperature differences. Which is kind of obvious but a bit of a bummer since it will be largely affected by the ambient conditions. They don't specify the update rate but it seemed to react to me screwing the caps on pretty quickly.

The potential issues are definitely a concern. Especially completely deflating the tire :gonk:. They do have an internal sensor type, which I assume is similar to OEM systems, but I didn't want to get now since it would require re-mounting the tires that I just had mounted. I think if these work reasonably enough that might be the way to go.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 24, 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My first ever track day at the glen yesterday was a blast. I understood what people meant when they told me the biggest limit would be myself when I went out for the first time but now I get it. Looking forward to day two!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's awesome. Let us know how round 2 goes.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My first ever track day at the glen yesterday was a blast. I understood what people meant when they told me the biggest limit would be myself when I went out for the first time but now I get it. Looking forward to day two!

I just did my 6th track day and I still get nervous and almost dread it as the day approaches. But as soon as I'm half way through the first session I'm :black101: especially as I get better and better.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Coming to NJMP?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Went well for him but I got a bubble in my tire so I have to retire for the day and couldn't do the assessment to move up to group 3 :cry:

Was still a good time though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

It’s incredible what a good night sleep does. On my first outing it felt like 90% of the cognitive stress was just gone and I wasn’t praying to see the checkered flag by the end. My second outing I didn’t realize that my instructor wasn’t telling me to push harder the whole time nor when or how hard the brake until the very end when he asked if I wanted to fly solo.

My third run was just bliss. I didn’t feel stressed or scared at all and even felt like I was pushing even harder than when he was in the car with me. Just pure in-the-zone focus for fifteen uninterrupted minutes. My brakes began to fade on the fourth lap and instead of chickening out like I did yesterday I instead dedicated a lap to trying to go without them entirely. After that I checked and found that I had them back and went back to going HAM

I’m now chilling in the shade and chugging water because it’s hot as balls. One more to go

Gigi Galli posted:

Coming to NJMP?

Unfortunately no but I’ll be at Pitt in July!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

KillHour posted:

Went well for him but I got a bubble in my tire so I have to retire for the day and couldn't do the assessment to move up to group 3 :cry:

Was still a good time though.

Ouch. Next time though.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It’s incredible what a good night sleep does. On my first outing it felt like 90% of the cognitive stress was just gone and I wasn’t praying to see the checkered flag by the end. My second outing I didn’t realize that my instructor wasn’t telling me to push harder the whole time nor when or how hard the brake until the very end when he asked if I wanted to fly solo.

My third run was just bliss. I didn’t feel stressed or scared at all and even felt like I was pushing even harder than when he was in the car with me. Just pure in-the-zone focus for fifteen uninterrupted minutes. My brakes began to fade on the fourth lap and instead of chickening out like I did yesterday I instead dedicated a lap to trying to go without them entirely. After that I checked and found that I had them back and went back to going HAM

I’m now chilling in the shade and chugging water because it’s hot as balls. One more to go

Unfortunately no but I’ll be at Pitt in July!

Hell yeah. I love the level of zen that comes from sending it. Everything else is just deleted.

What car / any mods? Getting your car to a point where you can have complete faith in the brakes is amazing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Stock 2019 ecoboost mustang. i felt like the engine was disappointed any time I pulled off the track. My brakes on the other hand…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're disappointed too because you're still dragging them too much ;)

Kidding. Really good job this weekend! The Glen is a hard first track.