Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Honj Steak posted:

Woah, where's that? Electricity is roughly 0.50€/kWh in Germany :eyepop:

In Ireland it's €0.18/kWh for electricity and €0.06/kWh for gas (for now at least). :rip: OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Deformed Church posted:

At least in the UK, energy prices just went up by like 50%. The government has a price cap which is reviewed periodically (in theory a good idea to help tackle fuel poverty and lovely business practices), but apparently wholesale gas prices have risen hugely over the past year. Last autumn/winter a bunch of energy companies actually went bust, and on the most recent review (April 1st) they cranked the cap way up, so anyone who isn't on a specific fixed tarriff is now paying way more.

There's been an energy crisis for way longer than the war though, and we import relatively little Russian gas, but it obviously doesn't help. And of course it will be key how the government and opposition choose to communicate, and propose to address, the crisis - it's easy to see the tories blaming the war anyway to get away from blame for their own failure to control household bills and address fuel poverty in general throughout their time in government.

There is a more immediately visible effect on petrol and diesel prices, which have spiked hugely since the start of the war (they were rising but not this fast). At the moment it seems like people are frustrated, but I don't think it's yet politically safe to buddy up to Putin or let Ukraine down in order to try and restrict that.
The debts of the companies that wentbust are also being reclaimed via surcharges to our energy bills, further bumping up the current cost.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Failed Imagineer posted:

In Ireland it's €0.18/kWh for electricity and €0.06/kWh for gas (for now at least). :rip: OP

We don't have gas in our place, but I just looked it up and a cheap gas contract would be 0.20€/kWh for gas here. I start to see a major reason why Germany is more hesitant to sanction because we already pay 3-5 times as much for our energy than our neighbours. :negative:

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

the popes toes posted:

It seems rather a long time ago that was in doubt. Quite a lot has happened in 2 months.

I would just like to point out that Ukraine is still fortifying around Kyiv. This guy to the north of Kyiv says they a digging new trenches every day and they are up to 20-30 km already. I don't think they are expecting a new attack, but on the other hand they are making sure they are prepared for antything. Who knows how the war will look 2 more months from now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9wPHMFM308

catfry fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 24, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

"We shouldn't do X because it will affect Y" cuts both ways. An embargo on Russian oil has the potential to cause issues for the wider world, of course it does, but the alternative is bankrolling genocide.

I understand the knee jerk urge to criticise the West for moves that destabilise the global south because *gestures broadly at history* but in this case the only other option is complicity in the extermination of a people.

If the impacts on the global south are so important then one easy solution would be to drastically ramp up the military assistance to Ukraine so they can kick out the Russians in time for the wheat harvest and open up all those ports again.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:nws: https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1518104397250715649

Using a mine clearer UR-77 or a newer UR-07 to demolish buildings in Rubizhne.
Think I saw couple of clips of Assad using it in Syria in the past.

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 24, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For what it's worth, natural gas prices are up in the US too, or at least where I am, north central. Got my bill today, the first 11 days of the month were ~40 cents per therm, jumping to ~60 for the remaining 19 days of the billing period. I had no idea we imported so much Russian gas here, the pipeline must be enormous.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

aniviron posted:

For what it's worth, natural gas prices are up in the US too, or at least where I am, north central. Got my bill today, the first 11 days of the month were ~40 cents per therm, jumping to ~60 for the remaining 19 days of the billing period. I had no idea we imported so much Russian gas here, the pipeline must be enormous.

1 therm is 29.3 kWh, so you're still paying only a tenth of German prices. WTF why is that stuff so much more expensive here :confused:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

aniviron posted:

I'd guess price increases in the US is because US gas is being shipped (by ship) to Europe now.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Honj Steak posted:

1 therm is 29.3 kWh, so you're still paying only a tenth of German prices. WTF why is that stuff so much more expensive here :confused:
I expect "not being left to die in the street if you are sick" and similar reasons may explain higher prices due to taxation. Not sure if it's just that or if there are other reasons too.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

In the UK prices have gone from £0.18/kWh to £0.37/kWh (~€0.45/kWh). Have German prices already increased or are you in for a price shock on top of what you're paying now?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Chalks posted:

In the UK prices have gone from £0.18/kWh to £0.37/kWh (~€0.45/kWh). Have German prices already increased or are you in for a price shock on top of what you're paying now?

The prices I cited are for new contracts, so after the last price shock. I guess further sanctions will lead to further price increases. I'm still for it because I'd be able to pay more for energy / use less energy, but I sure hope that the sanctions come with functioning programs for those who don't have that luxury. :ohdear:

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Charlotte Hornets posted:

:nws: https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1518104397250715649

Using a mine clearer UR-77 or a newer UR-07 to demolish buildings in Rubizhne.
Think I saw couple of clips of Assad using it in Syria in the past.

This really confused me. I thought the URs fired a line charge to clear mines similar to the U.S.'s ABV vehicle or MICLIC. It apparently...just shoots an huge fuckin' explosive?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Caconym posted:

I'd guess price increases in the US is because US gas is being shipped (by ship) to Europe now.

If that's the case, then I'm all for it - I thought part of the problem with increased sanctions was a lack of LNG terminal capacity in Europe though.

Dirt5o8 posted:

This really confused me. I thought the URs fired a line charge to clear mines similar to the U.S.'s ABV vehicle or MICLIC. It apparently...just shoots an huge fuckin' explosive?

I looked this up, as I was similarly confused. It seems that doctrine in Syria for the UR-77 was to fire it down a city street - it has a line charge but the quantity of explosives in the line is enough to destroy most civilian buildings on both sides of the street. They were/are deployed when the advancing forces suspect that there is an ambush on the street, so they just level the street and buildings to allow them to advance.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Caconym posted:

The rising gas prices were caused by a huge global increase in LNG demand(especially in Asia) due to the post-COVID recovery and Russia intentionally reducing supply on the European gas spot market. It's a global market so supply and demand changes affect everyone who is not completely decoupled from the LNG market.

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

Saladman posted:

Are you actually seeing higher energy prices? Where I am in Europe, and I just moved and signed a new electricity contract, it's still the same ~0.10/kWh (+ ~10/month "hookup charge" + 0.05/kWh tax) that it was 2 years ago. Prices for car fuel have gone up but that was going up from way before the Ukraine war, and my heating prices still appear to be locked in at last year's prices, although who knows when that will change, I have no idea what the fine print is like but there's probably some exception for next winter in case we're cut off of Russian gas and it costs the suppliers 3x more.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-covid-health-business-prices-115055679640c4cd50603c2c04b1c046 This is what I read on why the UK in particular is getting affected.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chalks posted:

In the UK we had an energy price cap in place, so when wholesale prices spiked a load of energy companies went bust. They then removed the cap and energy prices doubled year on year.

I'm not sure how much of that shock is due to the current situation and how much is just stupid energy policies unique to the UK
I just had my monthly energy bill go up by 75%, and it sure as hell isn't because I'm using more than before.

The poo poo's-fuckedness of the UK energy market is best shown by energy companies that make a big deal of how much of their supply comes from renewables whacking up their prices by as much as everyone else, just 'cause they can.

Also by a company that produces North Sea gas selling its supply to... Gazprom. (Still ongoing as of a couple of weeks ago despite reports that the deal was off in March.)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Quick German politics update:

The CDU/CSU are going to introduce a bill next week that will demand Germany to support Ukraine with heavy weapons.

In reaction the chairwoman of the SPD says that it's unbecoming for the opposition to do such a thing, as everyone should rally around the flag during times of war and it's damaging German renown internationally if we are not united.

https://twitter.com/andikynast/status/1517442350783553541

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The CDU/CSU are going to introduce a bill next week that will demand Germany to support Ukraine with heavy weapons.

In reaction the chairwoman of the SPD says that it's unbecoming for the opposition to do such a thing, as everyone should rally around the flag during times of war and it's damaging German renown internationally if we are not united.

Have the minority partners in the government coalition indicated whether they'll vote for it or not?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

gay picnic defence posted:

Have the minority partners in the government coalition indicated whether they'll vote for it or not?

They'll vote against it. Minority partners in German colitions (almost) never vote for anything the opposition introduces. Supposedly they are currently negotiating with the SPD to have their own government supported bill next week, which will probably just be smokes and mirrors but who knows.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A good primer on Le Pen's ties to Russia, but let's hope it won't suddenly become much more relevant after today.

https://www.jpost.com/christianworld/article-704835

quote:

She largely owes her rise to Russia’s highest circles to her family’s ties with the Orthodox and monarchist oligarch Konstantin Malofeev, introduced to the Le Pens by Glazunov. Malofeev’s TV channel Tsargrad regularly portrays Marine Le Pen in a glowing light.

The FN was also in need of financial support, and here again, Russia played a central role. For her 2017 presidential bid, Marine Le Pen obtained a loan of 9 million euros from a bank with close ties to Vladimir Putin. An investigation by the French investigative-news website Mediapart also revealed that in 2014 Jean-Marie Le Pen received 2 million euros from a Cyprus-based company controlled by a former KGB agent. While Marine Le Pen claimed that it was a loan, it remains repaid, and at the time it was perceived as a reward for the FN’s support of Russia’s annexation of Crimea.

Common interests
The Kremlin has long had an interest in gaining allies with the potential to act as an echo chamber for its worldview. France is of particular interest because of the country’s relative independence from Washington and its status as a nuclear power and a permanent member of the UN Security Council. Major French companies are doing business in Russia and therefore inclined to lobby in Moscow’s favor, while France enjoys a rich Russian cultural scene due to the history of Russian emigration.

When foreign policy under President François Hollande (2012-2017) failed to play out in Russia’s favor, the Kremlin pivoted toward Marine Le Pen. But Moscow is typically more fair-weather friend than loyal ally. It partly deserted her in the 2017 presidential campaign when François Fillon (Les Républicains, LR) emerged as the leading right-wing candidate. For a while, Russian state TV presented him as a figure capable of rallying conservative religious and economic circles before swinging back in the direction of the RN.

Since then, Marine Le Pen has become one of the darlings of Russian television. She is painted as a leading European politician, an authentic patriot, Gaullism’s natural heir, and the standard-bearer of the idea of a Europe of nations and of “traditional” values.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 24, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GaussianCopula posted:

AHAHAHAHA du alte Drecksv...orsitzende.

Going by the way the SPD acts, it's not a time of crisis, so no need to show unity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

They'll vote against it. Minority partners in German colitions (almost) never vote for anything the opposition introduces. Supposedly they are currently negotiating with the SPD to have their own government supported bill next week, which will probably just be smokes and mirrors but who knows.

Is that just convention or would it collapse the coalition if they were to vote for it?

I guess they could threaten to vote for it in order to get a bit more out of the SPD.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Is that just convention or would it collapse the coalition if they were to vote for it?

I guess they could threaten to vote for it in order to get a bit more out of the SPD.

The coalition agreement usually contains a clause that states, that members of a coalition are not going to seek majorities outside the coalition. It would be a breach of this agreement, which has no legal consequences but would at least lead to a deep crisis of the government.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Payndz posted:

The poo poo's-fuckedness of the UK energy market is best shown by energy companies that make a big deal of how much of their supply comes from renewables whacking up their prices by as much as everyone else, just 'cause they can.

That kinda makes sense though, right? Like if you've got DirtEnergy Ltd and CleanEnergy Ltd, and clean energy costs £2 per arbitrary unit and dirty energy costs £1 per arbitrary unit, then DirtEnergy Ltd can charge half as much as CleanEnergy Ltd. However, if dirty energy goes up to £2.10 per arbitrary unit, then DirtEnergy Ltd can buy clean energy instead, driving clean energy up to the same price as dirty energy.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

The German Bundestag is a de facto rubber stamp parliament of the chancellor in that strict party line votes are enforced at nearly all times. If someone votes against their party, they have a good chance of being expelled from it or never becoming a candidate again, so it's a big deal.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saladman posted:

Are you actually seeing higher energy prices? Where I am in Europe, and I just moved and signed a new electricity contract, it's still the same ~0.10/kWh (+ ~10/month "hookup charge" + 0.05/kWh tax) that it was 2 years ago. Prices for car fuel have gone up but that was going up from way before the Ukraine war, and my heating prices still appear to be locked in at last year's prices, although who knows when that will change, I have no idea what the fine print is like but there's probably some exception for next winter in case we're cut off of Russian gas and it costs the suppliers 3x more.

Only in the most ultracapitalist countries you will have dynamic(as in daily/weekly variations) electricity pricing, in most cases the contracts/pricing will see changes in pricing on a yearly scale or more. My contract has a fixed pricing for three years to force us to not seek better provides for instance.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Pretty much every where has fixed contracts available. The difficulty is when prices jump at the end of the contract.

For the countries not seeing price rises (like France) it’s often just the state picking up the tab.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

We don't have gas in our place, but I just looked it up and a cheap gas contract would be 0.20€/kWh for gas here. I start to see a major reason why Germany is more hesitant to sanction because we already pay 3-5 times as much for our energy than our neighbours. :negative:

The prices that end users have to pay aren't just based on the cost of the gas itself.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

More confirmation that the order from Putin not to storm Azovstal was either misdirection or is being ignored by the army:

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1518135228866473987

Adviser to the Office of President of Ukraine Podolyak posted:

(1/2) Easter 2022. But right now Russia is constantly attacking Mariupol's Azovstal. The place where our civilians and soldiers are is covered with heavy air bombs, artillery fire and intensive concentration of forces and equipment for the assault. Who gave the order "not to storm"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Has this been mentioned itt? Swiss newspaper reports that the reason why Germany backed down from supplying IFVs to Ukraine is because Switzerland denied permission to send Swiss made ammunition to a warring nation. So it's not Krauts per se, but Nazigold Alpenfestung that is to blame!

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz-verhindert-deutsche-waffenlieferung-in-die-ukraine-629977578442

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Has this been mentioned itt? Swiss newspaper reports that the reason why Germany backed down from supplying IFVs to Ukraine is because Switzerland denied permission to send Swiss made ammunition to a warring nation. So it's not Krauts per se, but Nazigold Alpenfestung that is to blame!

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz-verhindert-deutsche-waffenlieferung-in-die-ukraine-629977578442

As a Swiss person I believe the "being neutral" line holds up well when it's about sending weapons to countries at war. We voted against this recently. I personally do not feel okay with swiss-made weapons being sent to an active war zone where they might end up in the wrong hands a few years down the road.

Unlike a lot of conservatives though, I don't believe we are breaking neutrality by applying economic sanctions. I am happy that economically at least, we are trying to be on the right side of history.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

More confirmation that the order from Putin not to storm Azovstal was either misdirection or is being ignored by the army:

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1518135228866473987

Adviser to the Office of President of Ukraine Podolyak posted:

(2/2) I suggest the Russian Federation to think about the remnants of reputation. This requires only three "Mariupol steps".
1. Declare a real Easter truce over Mariupol.
2. Immediately provide a rubber corridor for civilians.
3. Agree on a "special round of negotiations" so that we can pick up / exchange soldiers
edit: part 2 posted without comment.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 24, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

go play outside Skyler posted:

As a Swiss person I believe the "being neutral" line holds up well when it's about sending weapons to countries at war. We voted against this recently. I personally do not feel okay with swiss-made weapons being sent to an active war zone where they might end up in the wrong hands a few years down the road.

Unlike a lot of conservatives though, I don't believe we are breaking neutrality by applying economic sanctions. I am happy that economically at least, we are trying to be on the right side of history.

Yeah, those Marders are likely going to end up in the hands of motorcycle gangs and terrorists.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Honj Steak posted:

The US produces insane amounts of natural gas, but it's extremely difficult to transport outside of pipelines, so you have the situation where Henry Hub prices are a small fraction of those at Rotterdam. Recently those spreads have blown out even more so we're starting to see accelerated investment in LNG terminals... but those take time to build and test.

There's no easy answer. Russia is a huge exporter of BTUs broadly (coal, oil, natural gas) and if those exports are cut, it has to be balanced with expanded production elsewhere (not easy) or demand destruction.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

edit: part 2 posted without comment.

:aslol:

gum in "gumkoridor" is short for humanitarian (gumanitarskii), not rubber corridor...

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, those Marders are likely going to end up in the hands of motorcycle gangs and terrorists.

I actually think there was a legitimate fear in the early stages of the war that manpads and javelins and whatnot were going to eventually end up on the black market back when Ukraine was scrambling and issuing statements that they would arm anyone willing to fight, freeing convicts with combat experience and so on. But reading analysts on Twitter it seems like the UA has actually been able to maintain fairly stringent inventory controls the entire time so it mostly seems like a non-issue.

It's perfectly valid to say "as a neutral country we can't send weapons to an active war zone" but please don't try to rationalize it in moral terms.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1518209595558305792

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Nenonen posted:

:aslol:

gum in "gumkoridor" is short for humanitarian (gumanitarskii), not rubber corridor...
Machine translation... sorry bout that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

Machine translation... sorry bout that.

Please don't apologize. The mental image of laying a rubber tube to evacuate people is funny, I just wanted to clarify. :)