Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Literally A Person posted:

My goon. Meet the coverall. It is God's own wood/metalworking garment. Also it's an adult long sleeve onsie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

YOU JUST UNZIP THAT M'Fer AND YOU CLEAN, HOMIE!

You're not wrong. I am gunshy about embracing the coverall lyf because it means wearing one during the Austin summer. Still, I'll try to track down a Dickies retailer to check out the short-sleeve coveralls in person.

powderific posted:

A place down the street from me makes really gorgeous aprons if you’re feeling especially fancy. I’m not an apron wearer but their bags are extremely well made and you can see the shop where they sew everything from the front retail area. It’s pretty cool: https://artifactbags.com/collections/aprons

Thanks -- I'll check them out too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

You're not wrong. I am gunshy about embracing the coverall lyf because it means wearing one during the Austin summer. Still, I'll try to track down a Dickies retailer to check out the short-sleeve coveralls in person.
Dickies' fabric has alot of polyester or some other synthetic and does not breathe very well in hot/humid climates. If you can find some 100% cotton coveralls those might be more comfortable (but probably still real hot in the summer).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Dickies' fabric has alot of polyester or some other synthetic and does not breathe very well in hot/humid climates. If you can find some 100% cotton coveralls those might be more comfortable (but probably still real hot in the summer).
Way back in the day, my brothers and I inherited some 50s/60's vintage coveralls from an uncle that were a nice soft cotton woven in a herringbone pattern for strength and flexibility. They were The poo poo at being comfortable, as the kids say. Highly recommend finding some cotton ones vs synthetic, if that's even possible.

Having said that, I got a cheap ($40-ish) shop apron a few years ago and it's basically transformed my life. Turns out most of the work I do fits somewhere between "just grab a handful of screws and the driver" and "gunna need the full framing rig to keep enough different tools/fasteners on me" and I wear the thing pretty much every time I work on something now. It keeps my shirt clean and lets me carry three different kinds of screws and their associated bits, a tape, a pencil, and a knife everywhere I go.

vvvv Never met this rear end in a top hat in my life vvvv

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 22, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^ LOL you jerk

My goon. Meet the coverall. It is God's own wood/metalworking garment. Also it's an adult long sleeve onsie.

I had a bell labs coverall that was my uncles and sadly they ended up dying after probably 80 years of use. They were pretty decent and not awful but the pockets ended up dying, the crotch ended up getting ripped and sadly they were mostly holes instead of coveralls.

I really should get some but I stopped wearing them and just tossing on poo poo jeans and a dedicated car fixin shirt becuase I'm always hot so working outside in anything >50°F in coveralls makes me one sweaty bastard.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 22, 2022

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I've got a cheap canvas apron from Duluth trading that is great when I remember to wear it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have a cheap pair of dickies I cut the arms off of to use as a speed suit in summer and a big ol pair of insulated ones of unknown origin that get me through fall and winter without feeling like I am dying of hypothermia.

Ah thanks for the reminder to snag a pair of coveralls soon :toot:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

ryanrs posted:

Next week I am buying this floor standing drill press, used, from some rando. I will have the chance to put a dial indicator on it before taking it home.

What should my go/no-go limits be for runout on a $400 used drill press?

I bought that drill press new, and the runout when I bought it was .007". Not sure if I got a non-representative model, but there you go.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Itt we are all boomers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Mambold posted:

Itt we are all boomers.

What New Balances should I get?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

meatpimp posted:

White ones. Grey if you don't wanna look toooo old.
Goodyear sketchers are a second I think

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

meatpimp posted:

I like colors

tastefully discrete colorways and also loud and boisterous colorways

a white or gray pair is decent to have too

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Serious note, I wear coveralls to monkey under the car but always end up soaked in sweat (I live in the tropics) any recommendations for a good coverall for hot/warm humid weather?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

Serious note, I wear coveralls to monkey under the car but always end up soaked in sweat (I live in the tropics) any recommendations for a good coverall for hot/warm humid weather?

Coveralls and a fan?

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

deimos posted:

Carhartt Men’s Duck Bib Unlined with a mechanics shirt is my go-to. You lose arm coverage but it is a genuinely comfortable temperature, and the pockets are amazing.

If you're expecting to be working with hot exhausts/fluids and want full coverage, the Carhartt Men’s Flame Resistant Deluxe is quite light as well and you won't burn yourself. I've got both and I use the bib WAY more, both for work and for personal projects.

Also consider a jobsite fan, the automotive industry being safety 3rd historically people dismiss it. But there's quite a few gnarly fumes as well from the things you handle that are much better blown away than up your nose.

Sakara123 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 24, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dont wear anything under my coveralls and do fine in hot weather. wearing shirt + pants and coveralls over that would be a nightmare though

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Basketball shorts and ratty tank top are p good under some coveralls during summer. Then again we literally get one day a year over 90F here.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sakara123 posted:

Carhartt Men’s Duck Bib Unlined with a mechanics shirt is my go-to. You lose arm coverage but it is a genuinely comfortable temperature, and the pockets are amazing.

If you're expecting to be working with hot exhausts/fluids and want full coverage, the Carhartt Men’s Flame Resistant Deluxe is quite light as well and you won't burn yourself. I've got both and I use the bib WAY more, both for work and for personal projects.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

Sakara123 posted:

Also consider a jobsite fan, the automotive industry being safety 3rd historically people dismiss it. But there's quite a few gnarly fumes as well from the things you handle that are much better blown away than up your nose.

To clarify, I am at best a shade tree mechanic, I just like to stay clean.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I, too, am looking for comfortable workwear for hot weather (anything over 60 F tbh). This is for welding, so it must have thick fabric and full coverage, long sleeves, etc. And no fans allowed (blows away the shielding gas).

Unfortunately, I think welding is just always gonna be hot and sweaty.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ryanrs posted:

I, too, am looking for comfortable workwear for hot weather (anything over 60 F tbh). This is for welding, so it must have thick fabric and full coverage, long sleeves, etc. And no fans allowed (blows away the shielding gas).

Embrace the sweat. Sorry! Miller makes some lighter weight welding gear with leather arms that might be a bit better than traditional leathers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations for pressure washer detergent? Looking to clean cars, concrete surfaces, and house windows. Few different choices on Amazon that seem to have decent reviews.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ryanrs posted:

Has to be cotton too, no?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't really use soap on concrete. I just fill the thing with mother's or whatever car wash is in the garage to soap down the cars.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I found a table saw that has is cheaper to buy than to upgrade my existing semi functional saw. T Square fence router table extension and a link belt. It needs a splitter. The guy listed it $350, which is a good price, when you consider a fence cost that new. That’s basically half the price of a new Delta contractor saw from Lowes.

Only thing that gives me pause is new saws have riving knifes and better dust collection.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Unless you use the fiddly plastic thing that goes over the blade and is always in the way and hook a vac to it, all tablesaws have pretty mediocre dust collection IME.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations for pressure washer detergent? Looking to clean cars, concrete surfaces, and house windows. Few different choices on Amazon that seem to have decent reviews.

This is entirely dependent on what you're washing, Automotive Clear coats, Acrylic lacquer, concrete(pervious or regular),decks & fences(wood or composite) and windows(if they have a coating) all have specific detergents. Some more aggressive than the other, using a concrete detergent for example on your car will make your clear coat look like poo poo. Get a few different ones for specific tasks. Both to not damage the material, but also make the task easier. For the most part you won't find significant difference between multiples of the same purpose. Going down to your local hardware store and picking out anything that's not the cheapest is typically fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome thanks!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Calidus posted:

I found a table saw that has is cheaper to buy than to upgrade my existing semi functional saw. T Square fence router table extension and a link belt. It needs a splitter. The guy listed it $350, which is a good price, when you consider a fence cost that new. That’s basically half the price of a new Delta contractor saw from Lowes.

Only thing that gives me pause is new saws have riving knifes and better dust collection.

That's a souped up Sears saw, right? Nice add-ons, as you say, either the router table or the fence is well worth it alone. Even if you have to put a bigger motor on it and beef up the poo poo stamped metal stand (which I would do), it looks like a nice deal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a line on an extremely well-maintained delta cabinet saw at an auction. Wish me luck.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

meatpimp posted:

tater_salad posted:

White ones. Grey if you don't wanna look toooo old.
Goodyear sketchers are a second I think

The Dad move is whichever color is in stock in your size when Costco has them. I was going to make a joke about the Kirkland Signature Court Classics but sadly, an internet search tells me they were discontinued 4 years ago.

I got some Adidas Terrex trail running shoes at Costco a few years ago that have been my daily drivers and they're actually kind of amazing, especially for the $40 or $50 or whatever Costco was selling them for. I had prior careers in footwear sales and in outdoor recreation guiding, so I have higher standards than most when it comes to good shoes.

I did get them in all black though, so no dork factor to embarrass my kids with unless I bust out the white crew length socks with shorts

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

canyoneer posted:

The Dad move is whichever color is in stock in your size when Costco has them. I was going to make a joke about the Kirkland Signature Court Classics but sadly, an internet search tells me they were discontinued 4 years ago.

I got some Adidas Terrex trail running shoes at Costco a few years ago that have been my daily drivers and they're actually kind of amazing, especially for the $40 or $50 or whatever Costco was selling them for. I had prior careers in footwear sales and in outdoor recreation guiding, so I have higher standards than most when it comes to good shoes.

I did get them in all black though, so no dork factor to embarrass my kids with unless I bust out the white crew length socks with shorts

It's when you show up somewhere and 5 other guys have them on as well. Someone will say "great deal huh?!"

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Idiot check time, I can remove the stand and get the saw in the back of my wagon(42x76). I can get a single ratchet strap over it. Figured I can find some cardboard or styrofoam to put on the corners. This seems reasonable. I could also just spent $40 on a uHaul.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got the Greenworks 80V mower today and this thing owns. Much lighter and quieter than my Husqvarna gas. I only used one battery (for a 20-minute California lawn) and it didn't even go down a bar by the time I was done. My only complaint is you can't change the angle of the handle. It's a touch too high compared to my old mower, but it's not that big of a deal because I have LED headlights now.

Now to find a striping kit for this bad boy :hellyeah:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Speaking of electric mowers, is there a thread for discussing riding electric mowers?

I so badly want the Mean Green mower, but can in no way justify the cost.

I mow about 1.5-2 acres, so I think I'm right in that sweet spot for one of the zero turn electric mowers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Calidus posted:

Idiot check time, I can remove the stand and get the saw in the back of my wagon(42x76). I can get a single ratchet strap over it. Figured I can find some cardboard or styrofoam to put on the corners. This seems reasonable. I could also just spent $40 on a uHaul.

If the ratchet stra can attach to something good and secure, then spend the 40 bucks on some good blades for your new toy.

Ninja edit: or some beer for when you invite your friends over to check out the score you got.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Calidus posted:

Make a splitter insert.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Speaking of electric mowers, is there a thread for discussing riding electric mowers?

I so badly want the Mean Green mower, but can in no way justify the cost.

I mow about 1.5-2 acres, so I think I'm right in that sweet spot for one of the zero turn electric mowers.

From my time selling all mowers, electric & gas. They're a bit of a pain in the rear end, they work great when you first get them. But battery problems seem to be abundant after a season or two. Espeically if you live somewhere where the batteries may experience decent temperature deltas.

They also run like 10x the price of a good quality Gas zero turn, or a solid 2-3x the price of good commercial quality mowers. Parts availability for the mean greens is also a PITA.

TLDR ; Neat tech, bad price.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

deimos posted:

Make a splitter insert.

Yep worse case I give SharkGuard some money

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Sakara123 posted:

From my time selling all mowers, electric & gas. They're a bit of a pain in the rear end, they work great when you first get them. But battery problems seem to be abundant after a season or two. Espeically if you live somewhere where the batteries may experience decent temperature deltas.

They also run like 10x the price of a good quality Gas zero turn, or a solid 2-3x the price of good commercial quality mowers. Parts availability for the mean greens is also a PITA.

TLDR ; Neat tech, bad price.

Thanks for this. I think I may have been unclear. I'm not actually going to buy a Mean Green.

I was thinking more of a ~$4-5k battery zero-turn, like the Ego or Cub Cadet. Do you have any advice on those? Or is it the same, the battery runs down in a year or two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Thanks for this. I think I may have been unclear. I'm not actually going to buy a Mean Green.

I was thinking more of a ~$4-5k battery zero-turn, like the Ego or Cub Cadet. Do you have any advice on those? Or is it the same, the battery runs down in a year or two...

about the same tbh, Cub Cadets seemed to be the best from what I saw, but there just didn't seem to be enough benefit over picking up a gas Z-Turn at typically half the price. If you really want one you do you, but you'll get a longer lifespan out of a fuel powered one.