Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's nearly 80 degrees in Chicago today after snowing earlier in the week.

Spending most of the day indoors working then maybe playing the new Root expansion.

Went to the park with my kiddo and my friend and his kid. Followed it up with lunch and beers outside. It would be perfect except it’s windy, can’t complain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Zero-gravity chair was a fantastic addition to the patio. Highly recommended.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dango Bango posted:

Zero-gravity chair was a fantastic addition to the patio. Highly recommended.

Pics

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not at home right now but it's this one

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Man a lot of chuds and white nationalists are going to LOVE Northman

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dango Bango posted:

I'm not at home right now but it's this one

heck yeah

quote:

Zero-gravity outdoor chair provides a stress-free weightless feel for optimal relaxation

give me that optimal relaxation

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Man a lot of chuds and white nationalists are going to LOVE Northman

I didn't know anything about it until looking it up just now (Bjork, really?) but as someone who is interested in the mythology and Viking stuff it is incredibly annoying to have to side eye anyone else who likes Viking stuff until I can figure out where they're coming from.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Finally caught up enough to watch Fast 9 and quite frankly driving off a cliff to be snagged by a stealth bomber is the most ridiculous thing this series has yet done

e: they're going to space in a car?!

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 23, 2022

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Not often you see the Bears shut out the Steelers like this

Oh hold on just a sec

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A woman at my company is dating one of the Cubs players. I can only imagine the celebrations.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I'm only halfway through, but Alice in Borderland is making Squid Game look really lame

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

Not often you see the Bears shut out the Steelers like this

Oh hold on just a sec

Kyle Hendricks with 7 shutout innings baby.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A woman at my company is dating one of the Cubs players. I can only imagine the celebrations.

which player? (if that's shareable)'

e: in hindsight, it's probably best not to share so never mind

e2: I'm still losing my mind at Roman and Tej going to space in a car, this is ridiculous

AND IS THAT FRANCIS NGANNOU?!

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 24, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

Finally caught up enough to watch Fast 9 and quite frankly driving off a cliff to be snagged by a stealth bomber is the most ridiculous thing this series has yet done

e: they're going to space in a car?!

I’m sure I ranted in last year’s thread but that movie is just impossibly stupid and physics need not apply.

Just saw Everything… and it was a decent movie. Better than Batman.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't know why it took me so long to get around to it but, drat, Queen's Gambit was good.

What a performance.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Don't know why it took me so long to get around to it but, drat, Queen's Gambit was good.

What a performance.

Largest distance between two main actors eyes in television history

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m sure I ranted in last year’s thread but that movie is just impossibly stupid and physics need not apply.

Just saw Everything… and it was a decent movie. Better than Batman.

I loved the Batman. Are you implying the Batman was worse than “decent”?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Finally saw No Way Home and it's very good!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I loved the Batman. Are you implying the Batman was worse than “decent”?

No, it was decent too. Just too long and really dark, so it was difficult to see some of it. Not the best Batman, not the worst. Decent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

I played John Isner as a jr and that guy was just playing a different game than me. Blew me off the court.

I was a pretty good ball player and had DI offers but gave it up for academics (lol should’ve played ball, might’ve stayed more focused) but the most talented folks I’ve encountered were on another planet.

I remember a guy who played briefly in the majors and was an all American at South Carolina and wasn’t all that great compared to regular every day MLB folks, but he hit a ball so loving hard against us in high school it defied gravity. Like literally hovered 15ft off the ground and into the trees like 390ft away. Oppo.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 24, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Silly Burrito posted:

No, it was decent too. Just too long and really dark, so it was difficult to see some of it. Not the best Batman, not the worst. Decent.

I heard somebody say the first 90 minutes were the best batman movie ever made then it just kept going into another movie.

Seems like it should have been a mini series if they want to add all that Penguin poo poo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Braksgirl posted:

My whole personality is "middle aged mom who is pretty cool but will still yell at you to pick up after yourself and is also very cringe at inopportune times but you love her anyway" so it tracks.

Evidently my personality is Ray Stanz from Ghostbusters.

and that is eerily accurate

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Its Rinaldo posted:

I heard somebody say the first 90 minutes were the best batman movie ever made then it just kept going into another movie.

Seems like it should have been a mini series if they want to add all that Penguin poo poo

That makes no sense to me because it was entirely the arc of one villain, trying to do a big evil thing(tm). That's one of the things I love most about it, it was just one movie.

Penguin was involved but he was just an ancillary character.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that TFF has such a tepid reaction to The Batman.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hey fellas maybe the tff dads? My brother has been having a rough time with the birth of his daughter.

He told me today he's been having panic attacks and intrusive thoughts. I've been helping out where I can and making some food for them etc and there's nothing I won't do to help where I can.

Im trying to get him into a gp and a psyche to get him some help. I feel kind of powerless any advice on anything I can do?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

BlindSite posted:

Hey fellas maybe the tff dads? My brother has been having a rough time with the birth of his daughter.

He told me today he's been having panic attacks and intrusive thoughts. I've been helping out where I can and making some food for them etc and there's nothing I won't do to help where I can.

Im trying to get him into a gp and a psyche to get him some help. I feel kind of powerless any advice on anything I can do?

What kind of intrusive thoughts? Suicidal? Homicidal?

That newborn time is so much more stressful for parents than anyone will acknowledge. Offer to take some stuff off their plate. Meals are good. Take care of some things around the house. Sit with baby and allow them to have time feeling like humans and not milk dispensers and/or gophers.

If SI/HI are involved get a psych eval ASAP. It’s a vulnerable rear end time to be a human and especially so when you’re responsible for an extremely vulnerable tiny human.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
If it's not too personal, what does he mean by intrusive thoughts? Like, violent or rage inducing? If so then yes, therapy is absolutely the route.

If he's just having panic attacks about being a father or how to handle a kid, that's completely normal.

I'm sorry, I don't recall if you said he already had his daughter or if he's expecting...

Edit: What LeeMajors said. I'm assuming those thoughts aren't violent in nature and more around stress or self doubt. Absolutely offer to take kiddo off their hands for a few hours, bring over dinner. Offer him a couch to crash on for a few hours while you're bonding with your niece. I can't tell you how much it meant to not have to think about what to make for dinner when mine were tiny.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 24, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

That newborn time is so much more stressful for parents than anyone will acknowledge. Offer to take some stuff off their plate. Meals are good. Take care of some things around the house. Sit with baby and allow them to have time feeling like humans and not milk dispensers and/or gophers.

As a new dad myself, this is key. Anything you can do to take work away from your brother and his partner will only help them. Cook for them, clean for them, take baby out of the house for a bit, send them out of the house for a bit while you hang out with baby. Heck, no one even has to leave the house, you can just tell them that you'll watch the baby for an hour while they go nap in another room.

Another big thing that I wish someone had told me pre-parenthood is that you don't have to have everything about parenting figured out from day 1. Remind him that this whole thing is a learning experience for everyone involved, including baby, and that every parent learns things on the fly because every family is different.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not suicidal or homicidal which was my first worry. Just my brother is ex army and now works for the dept of early childhood so he hears about abuse cases and tragedies around kids quite a but so he's seen some poo poo and heard some poo poo and I think its just fears around protecting and keeping her safe etc.

My sister is going to go stay there for a few nights and bond a little to take the pressure off which I think will help.

Thanks for the advice guys. They're only a month or so in so they're both very tired and exhausted and I think its just a lot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

BlindSite posted:

Not suicidal or homicidal which was my first worry. Just my brother is ex army and now works for the dept of early childhood so he hears about abuse cases and tragedies around kids quite a but so he's seen some poo poo and heard some poo poo and I think its just fears around protecting and keeping her safe etc.

My sister is going to go stay there for a few nights and bond a little to take the pressure off which I think will help.

Thanks for the advice guys. They're only a month or so in so they're both very tired and exhausted and I think its just a lot.

PTSD can be a bitch. I still check my daughters breathing several times a night and she’s almost 6. Therapy may be indicated if he’s having trouble coping with the shittiness of humans or life in general (I totally get it).

Just give complete support while he gets his sea legs. Take stress off their day to day. Bring food. Come over and watch baby with strict instructions (if you’re comfortable) just to give them a few hours to feel like normal humans again—even getting out for a lunch or to run some normal errands is super valuable.

It’s wild how little people like to discuss the acute stress of the first few months of parenthood. New anxieties. No sleep. Poor habits. An insane amount of new responsibilities.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I appreciate the perspective. I'll get to cookin tomorrow to help them out. Thank you.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
We had an Owlet pulse oximeter for our first kid that she wore when sleeping until.... 2 years old or so? For the few nights were we forgot to put it on I recall thinking "what if tonight is the night where she stops breathing" and generally being ultra paranoid about anything happening. Guess how many nights we put it on our second kid? Never wore it, who has time for that.

I think it is worth having him talk to someone if there is that level of alarm/fear, though maybe you can see if things settle into a rhythm after a week or so first if there are no major red flags that need attention sooner.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 24, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BlindSite posted:

We're at five weeks with our guy and it does get better. A month is too early to properly sleep-train a baby but they can try to get them on a rudimentary feeding and sleeping schedule? Our kid has been mostly responsive to that and it can at least give them some predictability back as parents. There's lots of schedules out there that they can copy but I can PM you the one that's working for us, it's basically "feed every three hours, play/bond for half an hour after feeding, sleep until the next feed" with some exceptions at night.

Also worth remembering that there are many acceptable ways to raise a baby and only a few objectively wrong ones. Though it sounds like your brother has seen all of those which doesn't help!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

It’s wild how little people like to discuss the acute stress of the first few months of parenthood. New anxieties. No sleep. Poor habits. An insane amount of new responsibilities.

We had what I would describe an "easy" baby-- no colic, generally chill, slept for reasonable stretches not on one of us, and it still felt like a non stop low level of emergency.

Having reliable grandparents in town to watch the babe a couple hours two days a week was a lifeline to sanity.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

After the first night home with our kid I literally cried over the stress and wondering why I decided to ruin my life by having a kid. Good news is, I only cry like once a month now! So it gets better.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Saw The Batman and was surprised how much I liked every character. I loved that it was a detective story. I thought Pattinson did an amazing job; Emo Batman is accurate but he actually pulls it off. Kravitz did the least cartoonish and most believable Catwoman so far. I thought Farrell in a fat suit would be a gag, but he did well. Turturro playing the mob boss as quiet and withdrawn was a great choice over his usual manic energy. I do like that they elevated the Jim Gordon/Batman partnership at the cost of Bruce/Alfred screen time.

I don't think I could have sat through it all in the theater. The 4th act seems extraneous plot-wise but I guess was necessary for his emotional arc.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Largest distance between two main actors eyes in television history

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Qwijib0 posted:

We had what I would describe an "easy" baby-- no colic, generally chill, slept for reasonable stretches not on one of us, and it still felt like a non stop low level of emergency.

Having reliable grandparents in town to watch the babe a couple hours two days a week was a lifeline to sanity.

Bird in a Blender posted:

After the first night home with our kid I literally cried over the stress and wondering why I decided to ruin my life by having a kid. Good news is, I only cry like once a month now! So it gets better.

I’m sure it’s some species-survival mechanism, but it’s so bizarre how sterilized and rote the discourse has become in the post-partum phase.

Just a steady stream of tropes about “not knowing what love really is before now” and “every day is better than the last with this angel.”

No one is really honest about how loving stressful it is, and I’ve resolved to never have that selective amnesia about our experiences.

It’s a profoundly difficult time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hi friends

I downloaded Elden Ring last night on a whim based on playstation recommend

what the gently caress this is a Dark Souls game? I'm so pissed. I loving hate Dark Souls

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

postpartum mental.health challenges in men is something we frequently completely ignore or are just unaware of bc no one ever talks about it.

For intrusive thoughts, without getting into full on therapy, something he can try is naming, acknowledging, accepting them. Rolling with them rather than fighting them. They mean something and demand to be seen. He can change his relationship with them if he understands what their function is and "what they want" for lack of a better term.

You can think of thoughts, emotions, memories as passengers on the bus of life you are driving. They can get pretty loud and demand that you don't make changes and stay on the same ol road etc. But reality is you are driving the bus and you can ask them to go sit the gently caress back down. This is more likely to happen with a compassionate and collaborative approach as these thoughts and emotions are valid and important. They have I formation for you and need to be heard/seen.

If he is experience anxious thoughts he can catch them, name them as an anxious thought and then thank them for letting him know how important his child is to him. The anxiety sounds like it is rooted in his values of being a good father and protector of his child. This is good. It means he IS a good father and protector when the anxiety shows up. Thank that anxiety for the reminder of whats important to you. Acknowledge the fear and accept that you are doing what you can to mitigate risks (assuming this is true). Let that fear know what you are doing, let it flow through and out of you.

Notice it. Don't judge it. Thank it for its input, inform it what you are doing and if necessary take an action that reflects your values to address your concern.

As many have said We need to normalize the challenge of major life transitions and identity changes. Our culture doesn't want to see anyone who is not excelling our producing something positive. Reality is these feelings are common, important, and valid. I'm glad you are reaching out to help him be the dad he wants to be and reaffirm the quality dad he already is

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

Hi friends

what the gently caress this is a Dark Souls game? I'm so pissed. I loving hate Dark Souls

Time to git gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Hi friends

It's not bad, embrace death, which you will be experiencing a lot of. Also embrace running away from stuff and looking at pretty things in a horrible world.

e: Christ I'm wandering into serious talk with some dumb Elden Ring crap.