Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Sac Sword on Kazuha. Hold E, then press e. Congratz, all the fodder is dead, and your burst is up :shrug:
I'll have to try that. But doesn't sac sword just have a flat 40% chance per skill use no matter how many enemies you hit? Or is it because Kazuha's skill deals damage 4 times as opposed to Xingqiu who deals damage 2 times. I never considered that would work because technically the plunge is not a skill and not affected by talent level.

The reason Kazuha is so ridiculously good is because he swirls an element with his skill while widely applying that element, and then his plunge deals more anemo dmg and applies the actual element (not swirl) which has elemental damage buffed by Kazuha in addition to VV resist shred. Basically a VV shred setup in the press of a button.

Sure he's the perfect anemo suction, AOE swirl, support battery, elemental damage buff. But he also does like a lot of damage. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Have we mentioned how she's called "sir" and there's a whole story about it?
This is super-cool to learn about, thank you!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sanctum posted:

I'll have to try that. But doesn't sac sword just have a flat 40% chance per skill use no matter how many enemies you hit? Or is it because Kazuha's skill deals damage 4 times as opposed to Xingqiu who deals damage 2 times. I never considered that would work because technically the plunge is not a skill and not affected by talent level.

The reason Kazuha is so ridiculously good is because he swirls an element with his skill while widely applying that element, and then his plunge deals more anemo dmg and applies the actual element (not swirl) which has elemental damage buffed by Kazuha in addition to VV resist shred. Basically a VV shred setup in the press of a button.

Sure he's the perfect anemo suction, AOE swirl, support battery, elemental damage buff. But he also does like a lot of damage. :shepface:

he also looks cool

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

Only the ascension strike counts as a skill attack, but it has a percentage of firing for every enemy hit. Note that once it triggers, its cooldown goes into effect.

Same with Sac Fragments with Sucrose.

Even at rank 1, it's pretty uncommon for its passive not to fire.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I don't terribly mind the story of this event, in fact it's mostly charming, but it really highlights how poorly the quest system functions. I made the mistake of triggering multiple story quests that I hadn't finished yet (Yae and Ayato, specifically) and had to interrupt my progress through the event to move them along. But even beside that, some event quests themselves block other event quests. It's not only tedious to have to drop what I'm currently doing to progress another quest, but it takes away from the storytelling aspect of both. Like, cool, now I'm gonna forget what the previous quest was about and actively dislike the new one for the nuisance it caused.

They should give an option in the journal to disable quests you don't want to do right now.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Have we mentioned how she's called "sir" and there's a whole story about it?

Did this get localized out too? I don't think I remember it in the english translation

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kekeke! posted:

The Shenhe story is a great example of how well Genshin presents a story that has so many Chinese cultural elements to a wider audience. Shenhe's story is already an emotional and compelling story without this cultural background. I don't think that without it, much of Genshin's writing becomes garbage. But I do think there are some moments that feel a bit different when you can see the underlaying cultural elements a bit more clearly. My partner used to teach calligraphy and really found the entire Xingqiu's bad handwriting plot to be quite funny. I think its been at least a 100 years since anybody cared about the penmanship of a signature in most Western societies, but the association with calligraphy and education in China is remarkably strong even today. You can sort of suss this out from the story. But if you know that association, its quite endearing that Xingqiu who by all means should have excellent calligraphy is probably such a bookworm that he entirely neglected his calligraphy lessons.
Great post, ty! I never would have understood that connection for Shenhe but it makes complete sense. I'm also interested to hear that the under-18s are still sticking with it despite how difficult it's become.

Xun posted:

Did this get localized out too? I don't think I remember it in the english translation
It's in her profile, "Character Story 4".

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
TIL that the stages for the current event has ley line disorder-like effects, and today's was everyone's favorite, corrosion! What a nasty way to discover that. I did wonder why today's resonance effects were about increasing max HP and such. I'm sorry Team 1, but at least Team 2 picked up the slack after you barely managed to stay alive for the timer. Stages with tons of treasure hoarders are just free points.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AG3 posted:

Stages with tons of treasure hoarders
[Kazuha Intensifies]

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Xun posted:

It's only in the character story, the translation during dialog does not call her Sir Yun. Which is why I was confused cause I kept hearing it. I think it got localized to master Yun or something like that.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kekeke! posted:

All the talk about dialogue time got me to jump in from my typical thread lurking. I live in China and decided to give genshin a shot because the game is absolutely massive here. I teach undergrads and familiarity with the game is absolutely huge among them. What is quite impressive is to see how the game has a lot of reach across gender. I have an Inazuma background on my phone and I get a lot of comments on it from students.

I'm also teaching some experimental classes to our university's affiliated high school and let me tell you, every boy seems to play genshin. On my first day a student asked me if I play games and then instantly followed up asked me if I played genshin. When I told him yes, the class went wild and now i get constant questions about the game every week. Its funny if a little annoying. One thing I want to mention is that genshin seems perfectly designed to handle Chinese video game regulations for minors. Before last year the government imposed a time cap on how much people under 18 could play video games and it was regulated requiring people to register game accounts with a national ID card. No ID card connected to the account, no unlimited game time. I could really see this regulatory environment in genshin's design. These days kids only get an hour to play on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. One student asked me how long it took me to finish the Inazuma content. He asked because he was telling me how difficult it can be to rush through events when you not only have the event time limit, but also a total of three hours a week to do everything you want. I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread how frustrating it must be for Chinese kids to have to waste time on dialogue.

I enjoyed the Inazuma event a lot because I enjoy the character writing. The Itto quest was delightful and was my first encounter with the character. His CN voice actor nails the part. Genshin got my partner to try playing video games for the first time as she also teaches undergrads and also notices how big her students are into genshin. I wouldn't say genshin's story is incredible but it is very compelling if you are more familiar with Chinese culture as the game has both overt but also subtle story aspects connected to that culture.

A good example of this is the Shenhe story. On the surface the story is about Shenhe being abandoned because her father believes she brings bad fortune to them. The subtext of the story is quite interesting. It was not uncommon in rural China for girls to be selectively aborted due to the social desirability of having a son. Even before the modern era, poor families might even throughout a newborn girl seeing them as a mouth to feed that would only be a liability compared to a male son. Obviously Shenhe's story is a bit different in that it involves exorcists and blood magic and sacrifices, but the average Chinese gamer is going to very clearly see the parallels with her story and the cultural preference for male children and all the personal tragedies associated with that. I've had a woman tell me about how her grandparents took her for a walk and then abandoned her. Her parents understandably estranged them after that. One of my friends in her 30's had to be raised "in a cave" as she described it because she was a second daughter and her parents couldn't afford the penalty on a second child. I'm not saying this is the only interpretation of Shenhe's story, genshin is clearly a fantasy pastiche. It's just really shocking in a game that was called a Chinese Zelda clone suddenly hit you with a story of an unwanted daughter that resonates so well with its Chinese audience.

The Shenhe story is a great example of how well Genshin presents a story that has so many Chinese cultural elements to a wider audience. Shenhe's story is already an emotional and compelling story without this cultural background. I don't think that without it, much of Genshin's writing becomes garbage. But I do think there are some moments that feel a bit different when you can see the underlaying cultural elements a bit more clearly. My partner used to teach calligraphy and really found the entire Xingqiu's bad handwriting plot to be quite funny. I think its been at least a 100 years since anybody cared about the penmanship of a signature in most Western societies, but the association with calligraphy and education in China is remarkably strong even today. You can sort of suss this out from the story. But if you know that association, its quite endearing that Xingqiu who by all means should have excellent calligraphy is probably such a bookworm that he entirely neglected his calligraphy lessons.

Well that's sort of what I meant one time when I said I can't help but wonder if some of the stuff this game does is wasted on some of the Western players that aren't as familiar with some Asian culture and folklore stuff. Like I know a lot of people that play this game are super into popular anime and JRPG stuff, which this game references a lot to it's advantage (especially with Yae and Inazuma), but I can't help but wonder how many of them are interested in Chinese and Japanese culture and folklore specifically. I don't mean this to be disparaging about it, I just wonder if there's an enthusiasm or awareness gap on that front and how many people tune out when the game is working that sort of angle.

For example, I've been reading the 7 Swords visual novel lately and it's super rooted in Wuxia and cultivation type narratives as I understand them and has made it pretty interesting for me as a kind of casual fan of the classic martial arts tales and narratives, but I do wonder if most people would find that boring as say one of the character Li Sushang will sit their and analyze angles of attack, what stances to take as a counter to an opponent and what not for like several minutes of reading in the middle of a climactic fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Rml8008xU

Anyway I remember seeing a video from what looked like a community college of a class pressuring their lecturer into rolling for Hu Tao for them and the class being really intensely invested in the whole exercise and the lecturer just looking kind of bemused and going along with it. I can imagine basically.

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't terribly mind the story of this event, in fact it's mostly charming, but it really highlights how poorly the quest system functions. I made the mistake of triggering multiple story quests that I hadn't finished yet (Yae and Ayato, specifically) and had to interrupt my progress through the event to move them along. But even beside that, some event quests themselves block other event quests. It's not only tedious to have to drop what I'm currently doing to progress another quest, but it takes away from the storytelling aspect of both. Like, cool, now I'm gonna forget what the previous quest was about and actively dislike the new one for the nuisance it caused.

They should give an option in the journal to disable quests you don't want to do right now.

Same thing happened to me but usually the conflict resolves after an interaction or two. I figure the game must preload certain animations and character movements into the game when it sets a specific character in a location for an event that are triggered the moment you interact with them since it does everything in engine, and thus it locks out certain quests to avoid playing the wrong animation sequences at the wrong time and having things go completely haywire in a cutscene. That doesn't stop certain amusing things from happening sometimes still though like when a cat wandered into the middle of a cutscene during the Lantern Rite for me and Keqing went to leave and just punted it out of the way with her walk animation without even reacting.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 24, 2022

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

Kale posted:

Well that's sort of what I meant one time when I said I can't help but wonder if some of the stuff this game does is wasted on some of the Western players that aren't as familiar with some Asian culture and folklore stuff. Like I know a lot of people that play this game are super into popular anime and JRPG stuff, which this game references a lot to it's advantage (especially with Yae and Inazuma), but I can't help but wonder how many of them are interested in Chinese and Japanese culture and folklore specifically. I don't mean this to be disparaging about it, I just wonder if there's an enthusiasm or awareness gap on that front and how many people tune out when the game is working that sort of angle.

For example, I've been reading the 7 Swords visual novel lately and it's super rooted in Wuxia and cultivation type narratives as I understand them and has made it pretty interesting for me as a kind of casual fan of the classic martial arts tales and narratives, but I do wonder if most people would find that boring as say one of the character Li Sushang will sit their and analyze angles of attack, what stances to take as a counter to an opponent and what not for like several minutes of reading in the middle of a climactic fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Rml8008xU

Anyway I remember seeing a video from what looked like a community college of a class pressuring their lecturer into rolling for Hu Tao for them and the class being really intensely invested in the whole exercise and the lecturer just looking kind of bemused and going along with it. I can imagine basically.

I don't think its wasted necessarily. Genshin is clearly successful outside of Asia to an extent not seen with other titles that have similarities. While I can't speak for others, what drew me to Genshin was actually culture in specific. Yunjin got a lot of attention on Chinese social media because it was seen as a very successful adaptation of something essentially Chinese into a video game. That's what got me to watch her character demo and the character animations and there spot on modeling of Beijing opera got me to download the title.

People here are quite proud of genshin's international success. There is a lot of handwringing and insecurity about traditional Chinese culture struggling to compete with foreign cultural products. The government even wants to combat this by building what it calls "cultural confidence." You can see this in how much they regulate films and games in China. I think its all conservative moral panic because Chinese "traditional culture" in China is absolutely hegemonic. Genshin by a lot of Chinese games as the first major title to go big overseas. What I think is so meaningful to people is that this is a very homegrown product that comes from people who have clearly played a lot of foreign video games and have made a game that is the product that is connected to that gaming heritage. Chinese cultural products that are closely influenced by government arts support and funding are never able to compete outside the country successfully because they have to carefully bend to the guidelines the censors want. That's why the largest Chinese film blockbuster in history The Battle at Lake Changjin which I believe is also now the highest grossing film ever, is entirely unknown to people outside the country. Genshin doesn't feel like the cheesy stuff that easily passes the censor board. It feels like a game that really was developed in a more "free market" environment if that makes any sense. I can't cite any evidence but it really feels like genshin seems to get a little bit of censor leeway because its currently seen as this cultural darling. Some of the stuff in the game strikes me as sensitive content that could catch a censors attention.

Censorship issues are a lot more nuanced than people think and there isn't some clear list of things specific things not allowed. It's more like general guidelines that very subjective and often fall to the individual censors subjective feeling. I think that's why all the hubbub about the character skin changes was exaggerated on western gaming discussions. There are far more revealing outfits in the game. It's very likely the censor board maybe have made some vague comment about the character skins and Mihoyo made the changes on their own initiative to show compliance. Censorship in the country is intentionally vague so as to encourage people to self censor. When you have no idea exactly where the line is, you tend to try and play it safe, especially when the consequences are financially disasters.

/edit I just watched that youtube clip and that's certainly a highschool teacher rolling on behalf of his student. It's really cute. I deffo know the vibe of that classroom.

Kekeke! fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 24, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

general events thoughts since the survey is out

mechanical bits - while i appreciate the day night cycle being fully decided by the clock function instead of requiring daily participation, it's clumsy enough to use that catching up on quests or the two events that are day limited becomes tedious. probably should just have a way to instant skip to the relevant time for your currently targeted quest. the other issue is the one people have always been loud about, the scheduling conflicts. i learned my lesson eventually, but the side quests locking down the plaza so main quest can't be progressed is annoying especially when the event menu will bug you about any new side quest until it's taken. i had already been doing character quest catchup and prioritized it over the event start so no issues with that to report.

Five Kasen quests - a likable lineup of the playable characters here, my favorite bits to this were largely Xingqiu-related. being invested in his partnership with Albedo, it was great to see them finally (cutely, awkwardly) meet for what was shockingly the first time. the little investigation to break his lies was fun, and it all being a cover up for a calligraphy hell of his own making (also seriously, shocked the fancy lad sucks at it?!) was a good punchline with an elegant solution. loved the inclusion of the NPC who was super excited to have a seal because his pen name is awful to write. the Kazuha material...struck me oddly. it's not the sort of stuff i particularly care about nor does it have an emotional payoff along the lines of Venti/Shenhe/Albedo, but it ended up pretty interesting. getting a scene between him and Sara was great. and finally i'm always pleased when Scaramouche shows up, really hope there's more of him sooner than later.

Festival Deeds (side quests, i guess) - Sara > Gorou > Klee/Itto, for my ranking here. for the most part these quests land well because they have such funny or lovely conclusions (Sara's figure obsession being found out, Gorou being conned into crossplay, Klee getting to sell a book alongside her mom, Itto loving dying), though i couldn't help but feel a bit tired at how many playable characters were crammed into here between these and the Kasen quests. as the Lantern Rite 1 & NPC liker, i still miss when they were pulling off side stories with the NPCs as well as playable characters, since it makes the world feel bigger. granted, Inazuma hasn't given me as many NPCs i like and know as the prior regions did, but that could be a result of my gameplay habits just shriveling more into typical mobage daily grind than exploring and exhausting everything. though i suppose they also have been juggling the three regions now vs just two, so there's less time to focus on Inazuma by comparison. one final note, i wish the Itto competition could actually go both ways! i like the little competing bars stuff they do here but much like Xiangling's cooking, it's annoying to not be able to sway things both ways and makes me reluctant to hope for more uses of it despite how fun the concept is.

Moon and Stars Inscribe (photo event) - enjoyed this one quite a bit, the freeform nature and receiving poem options based on what possibilities you thought of made it feel somewhat personal. it's also fun to plumb your memory for what areas to hit up to get the right photos, especially if you can get multiple shots in a single area. i do think some of the verses weren't very good matches for the idea being sought by the poets, but i assume it isn't discriminating about what you pick. that seems a bit unfortunate if they don't have differing flavor text for groups of choices, but given subjectivity i suppose making some people feel worse about their choices is a no-go.

Theatre Mechanicus 3 - i'll start with what i actually did like, which is this version was frictionless and the least frustrating in terms of starting. prior versions had those week-long grinds to unlock towers and upgrades while this just gives you a slate of base towers and upgrades that you customize. after that it really starts to lose me. i didn't mess much with different setups in TM1, but TM2 felt really free in terms of what you could clear stages with (maybe due to the endlessly scaling powerup system and wild new tower abilities). TM3 is here to artificially limit you into a handful of towers and push you into very specific strategies, in such a way as stage 1 seeming to require you micromanage the bridges. other stages were less obnoxious about their gimmicks but i just hate the arbitrary limitations being placed on tower types/numbers and buffs. i also think the new gimmicks that disable/destroy towers are awful and hope to never see them again. i never bashed my skull against the clotting ice mechanic so idk how much of a nerf it is, but as a heavy freeze player in TM1 i feel like having some resistance to a very safe/strong playstyle in some stages should be okay.

Clash of Lone Blades - this was fun, though i never really got the timing on Taroumaru's 3-hit normal, nor his electro plunge. it's frustrating to again have an event where you can't just jump into the highest difficulty to retroactively clear all missions though. hopefully future iterations remove the limitations while adding more opponents with cool chains, since the stack mechanic feels kinda underutilized?

Floral Courtyard - went from hate to just sad frustration on this one lol, though No Wave said something about the survey fully knowing what they did wrong here. the puzzle visual isn't particularly readable when it comes to the individual 5 flowers, their names are so pointlessly long and don't fully display, the interface is bad (going vertically down a list to arrange flowers horizontally, being a side menu rather than direct interaction with the flowerpot, the height choice being a further menu i didn't even realize was a thing at first), and the hint system is so generous as to make the puzzles invalid. when i started actually poking at the puzzles myself and purposely avoiding hints it was a much better experience, so there's definitely potential.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kekeke! posted:

china perspective
Love reading these. Ty for sharing. It really is pretty wild that genshin is by far the most popular chinese cultural export today. I can't think of anything close.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Same, I'm also enjoying the insight.

Kekeke! posted:

I don't think its wasted necessarily. Genshin is clearly successful outside of Asia to an extent not seen with other titles that have similarities. While I can't speak for others, what drew me to Genshin was actually culture in specific. Yunjin got a lot of attention on Chinese social media because it was seen as a very successful adaptation of something essentially Chinese into a video game. That's what got me to watch her character demo and the character animations and there spot on modeling of Beijing opera got me to download the title.

People here are quite proud of genshin's international success. There is a lot of handwringing and insecurity about traditional Chinese culture struggling to compete with foreign cultural products. The government even wants to combat this by building what it calls "cultural confidence." You can see this in how much they regulate films and games in China. I think its all conservative moral panic because Chinese "traditional culture" in China is absolutely hegemonic. Genshin by a lot of Chinese games as the first major title to go big overseas. What I think is so meaningful to people is that this is a very homegrown product that comes from people who have clearly played a lot of foreign video games and have made a game that is the product that is connected to that gaming heritage. Chinese cultural products that are closely influenced by government arts support and funding are never able to compete outside the country successfully because they have to carefully bend to the guidelines the censors want. That's why the largest Chinese film blockbuster in history The Battle at Lake Changjin which I believe is also now the highest grossing film ever, is entirely unknown to people outside the country. Genshin doesn't feel like the cheesy stuff that easily passes the censor board. It feels like a game that really was developed in a more "free market" environment if that makes any sense. I can't cite any evidence but it really feels like genshin seems to get a little bit of censor leeway because its currently seen as this cultural darling. Some of the stuff in the game strikes me as sensitive content that could catch a censors attention.

Censorship issues are a lot more nuanced than people think and there isn't some clear list of things specific things not allowed. It's more like general guidelines that very subjective and often fall to the individual censors subjective feeling. I think that's why all the hubbub about the character skin changes was exaggerated on western gaming discussions. There are far more revealing outfits in the game. It's very likely the censor board maybe have made some vague comment about the character skins and Mihoyo made the changes on their own initiative to show compliance. Censorship in the country is intentionally vague so as to encourage people to self censor. When you have no idea exactly where the line is, you tend to try and play it safe, especially when the consequences are financially disasters.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of as sensitive content? I know Hoyolabs does play into some fan-shipping a bit (Amber/Eula, Beidou/Ningguang offhand), but outside of that, I can't really think of anything that might flag Chinese censors. Of course, I'm also saying that as a Westerner with a very limited understanding of what they might look for outside of obvious stuff

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kekeke! posted:

/edit I just watched that youtube clip and that's certainly a highschool teacher rolling on behalf of his student. It's really cute. I deffo know the vibe of that classroom.

It's both western culture wars centric and reactionary to the moment to suit what narrative people want to go on about IMO. I don't really see the consistent effort to "censor" characters by Mihoyo or government overseers from the CCP. in the time in-between when some of the Mondstadt characters new costumes were revealed we got character designs like Shenhe, Yae Miko, Yelan and Kuki Shinobu introduced to Genshin and Honkai Impact got Aponia, Pardofelis, Adult Bronya, Timido and Rita Rossweise Spina Astera costume implemented, none of which I feel like they would be implemented into Mihoyo games if they were subject to strict ongoing censorship policies.

The thing is though any time there's even an inkling of a costume change or anything that the western twitter community is sort of kind of on about for a day or two, the popular "content creators" immediately seize on it and hyper charge the narrative and of course people react to that without actually looking into things and acknowledging all the other things that are happening concurrently that contradict the sensationalist narrative. Those content creators don't actually seem to give a solitary gently caress about some of the things you've talked about I noticed either and never did and it's debatable they even give two shits at length about the ongoing game or characters or whatever. They just seem to see that the game is popular and that they can exploit it to boost their own channel traffic and profit off of that.

I pretty much limit myself to channels that talk about stuff like lore theory or just examine or inform about things that players might have missed at this point anyway though despite what the youtube algorithm tries to push on me. Some of the Bilibili stuff from the CN community is also really loving creative too like this one marble rube goldberg animation I saw with Paimon getting turned into a marble and going through it. I can't seem to find it again, but if I had to guess it was a college engineer group doing a personal passion project. Anyway I remember seeing that a few months back and figuring I only wish the more popular Genshin "content creators" in the West could be that genuinely creative and passionate about something instead of just second hand seizing on "controversy" to draw people to their videos.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
zombie girl likes bird

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Kekeke! posted:

People here are quite proud of genshin's international success. There is a lot of handwringing and insecurity about traditional Chinese culture struggling to compete with foreign cultural products.

This is very interesting (and honestly hard for me to entirely understand) in the context of a game that basically wraps itself up entirely in the visual style of japanese animation, bites major chunks of its design (visual and gameplay) from noted japanese game Zelda:BOTW, and is made by a company whose slogan literally describes themselves as "otaku". The chinese elements are undeniably there, but they seem often buried slightly below the surface, while the japanese influence is part of the elevator pitch.

Maybe that leads into a more complicated question about what sorts of feelings chinese people have about using media styles popularized by japan as a vehicle to share chinese culture. Maybe people in china don't even particularly view anime as explicitly japanese, I have no idea! I've casually dabbled in a few other chinese mobile games in the past and I have also noticed multiple times that these products tend to put japanese VO forward for their international versions (in addition to also having very anime styled art direction), which always struck me as peculiar.

I have played many korean games that also are totally suffused with anime, and at this point it seems clear that a lot of asia just considers it an appealing visual style in general, but I never really picked up on that sense of insecurity or need to "compete" with foreign media there.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 24, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kale posted:

It's both western culture wars centric and reactionary to the moment to suit what narrative people want to go on about IMO. I don't really see the consistent effort to "censor" characters by Mihoyo or government overseers from the CCP. in the time in-between when some of the Mondstadt characters new costumes were revealed we got character designs like Shenhe, Yae Miko, Yelan and Kuki Shinobu introduced to Genshin and Honkai Impact got Aponia, Pardofelis, Adult Bronya, Timido and Rita Rossweise Spina Astera costume implemented, none of which I feel like they would be implemented into Mihoyo games if they were subject to strict ongoing censorship policies.

The thing is though any time there's even an inkling of a costume change or anything that the western twitter community is sort of kind of on about for a day or two, the popular "content creators" immediately seize on it and hyper charge the narrative and of course people react to that without actually looking into things and acknowledging all the other things that are happening concurrently that contradict the sensationalist narrative. Those content creators don't actually seem to give a solitary gently caress about some of the things you've talked about I noticed either and never did and it's debatable they even give two shits at length about the ongoing game or characters or whatever. They just seem to see that the game is popular and that they can exploit it to boost their own channel traffic and profit off of that.

I pretty much limit myself to channels that talk about stuff like lore theory or just examine or inform about things that players might have missed at this point anyway though despite what the youtube algorithm tries to push on me. Some of the Bilibili stuff from the CN community is also really loving creative too like this one marble rube goldberg animation I saw with Paimon getting turned into a marble and going through it. I can't seem to find it again, but if I had to guess it was a college engineer group doing a personal passion project. Anyway I remember seeing that a few months back and figuring I only wish the more popular Genshin "content creators" in the West could be that genuinely creative and passionate about something instead of just second hand seizing on "controversy" to draw people to their videos.
This design was live on chinese servers for a single patch (2.4):

If it were me, I would not want this thing seeing the light of day unless it was some kind of emergency.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

What's a good Razor comp these days? The KQM guide seems to have come out a couple characters ago, but they've got me leaning towards Razor/XQ/Zhongli/Albedo, but that just feels kinda lame given that <x/y/Zhongli/Albedo> is a general can't-go-wrong comp and XQ is already the secret sauce for like a dozen different characters.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

This design was live on chinese servers for a single patch (2.4):

If it were me, I would not want this thing seeing the light of day unless it was some kind of emergency.

Yes I recall some Chinese message boards saying it was really ugly looking, which yeah the colors no longer match really well and I would agree it looks pretty silly. The whole scare and absolute certainty that it was going to be the gateway to a sweeping overnight design philosophy change by Mihoyo never really panned out as I figured it wouldn't though. Not that that would stop certain groups from continuing to argue that that is a thing because you decide on a conclusion first and then arrange the facts and what to acknowledge and disregard to fit that conclusion when you're doing narratives. The degree of things you have to disregard that have come since though that I listed far outweigh examples that would point to such a sweeping shift in design philosophy. Again though when you're writing clickbait or working controversy as "content" like far too much of the Western community for this game your not going to let these things get in the way with that or ever acknowledge them.

Anyway I just hate that about where the Western gaming scene seems to continue to be at these days but whatever, it's learned to make me appreciate and seek out some cool stuff from Bilibili or the Japanese and Korean community I might never have otherwise.

Scoss posted:

This is very interesting (and honestly hard for me to entirely understand honestly) in the context of a game that basically wraps itself up entirely in the visual style of japanese animation, bites major chunks of its design (visual and gameplay) from noted japanese game Zelda:BOTW, and is made by a company whose slogan literally describes themselves as "otaku". The chinese elements are undeniably there, but they seem often buried slightly below the surface, while the japanese influence is part of the elevator pitch.

Maybe that leads into a more complicated question about what sorts of feelings chinese people have about using media styles popularized by japan as a vehicle to share chinese culture. Maybe people in china don't even particularly view anime as explicitly japanese, I have no idea! I've casually dabbled in a few other chinese mobile games in the past and I have also noticed multiple times that these products tend to put japanese VO forward for their international versions (in addition to also having very anime styled art direction), which always struck me as peculiar.

I have played many korean games that also are totally suffused with anime, and at this point it seems clear that a lot of asia just considers it an appealing visual style in general, but I never really picked up on that sense of insecurity or need to "compete" with foreign media there.

It's Donghua in aesthetics actually, though certain tropes come from Japanese pop culture specifically for sure. There are subtle differences between Donghua, Japanese anime and even Korean art stuff though. I've gotten to a point where I think I can tell with something like 90% accuracy if a particular artwork was drawn by a Chinese, Korean or Japanese artist though. If I had to point to specific tells, Donghua seems to have flatter upper eyelids and wider eyes in general rather than rounded and more vertically shaped ones in Japanese art styles, and there seems to be a greater emphasis on elaborate backgrounds in Chinese game splash art that are a good indicator, while Korean art tends to have slightly different proportions to character designs that are more I guess curvaceous on average particularly with female ones. Feel free anyone to correct me if I'm missing the mark here, but it seems to work out 9 times out of 10 when I search for the origins of a given art work and make my guess beforehand.

To me the BoTW similarities are most noticeable by far in the Mondstadt region as well as with the glider and climbing aspects, though they seem to be trying to distinguish the look of the game from BoTW with Inazuma and on to the point where it's not particular noticeable at first glance anymore. Any time I travel back to Mondstadt I'm reminded of just how much influence the game initially drew from BoTW though as it's really REALLY noticeable that Mondstadt looks like Hyrule, has Bokoblin camps and towers, rolling hills, abandoned ruins and carts etc.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2022

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Kale posted:

Anyway I just hate that about where the Western gaming scene seems to continue to be at these days but whatever, it's learned to make me appreciate and seek out some cool stuff from Bilibili or the Japanese and Korean community I might never have otherwise.

Out of curiosity, do you actually speak Chinese or Japanese or Korean?

I see this sentiment sometimes that western communities are more complain-y and entitled compared to others, and it seems a lot of the people who forward that perspective literally are unable to read the content of the posts they're skimming past in search of cute fan-art and videos. At least, this is the impression I get from biligual people from said regions who are very amused by the notion that gamers are any less horrible in their county.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 24, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Scoss posted:

Out of curiosity, do you actually speak Chinese or Japanese or Korean?

I see this sentiment sometimes that western communities are more complain-y and entitled compared to others, and it seems a lot of the people who forward that perspective literally are unable to read the content of the posts they're skimming past in search of cute fan-art and videos.

I can read a decent amount of Japanese and know that Asian communities do their share of complaining when warranted, but I don't get the same vibe that it's quite a degree of focus and end goal as I do with the English community. Like obviously the Chinese community raged out about Zhongli at one point and apparently about Yae a fair bit as well, but they're actually kind of reacting to something real IMO and the sentiment just feels again more real even if I don't always agree with it necessarily. It just feels like they have less blatantly manufactured controversy 24/7 as "content" basically and something has to actually happen to get them all worked up versus wanting to get worked up for "content" and looking for material wherever they can find it.

It's the difference between being able to see where something is coming from or not basically, which is a real struggle for me a lot of the time with Western gaming communities lately who really seem to stick adamantly to a handful of specific narratives like "censorship" a lot of the time these days and it can get pretty exhausting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

where does the CN playerbase having a circle of leakers exposed for making things up just to troll female players fit in

i think you can find the crap anywhere, and should just generally not focus much on it regardless of origin.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

Love reading these. Ty for sharing. It really is pretty wild that genshin is by far the most popular chinese cultural export today. I can't think of anything close.

Yeah same, my brain is two steering wheel wires struggling to spark when it comes to examples. I'm like 'Uhhh, Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I got nothing,'

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

What's a good Razor comp these days? The KQM guide seems to have come out a couple characters ago, but they've got me leaning towards Razor/XQ/Zhongli/Albedo, but that just feels kinda lame given that <x/y/Zhongli/Albedo> is a general can't-go-wrong comp and XQ is already the secret sauce for like a dozen different characters.

You need a cryo, not XQ. Kaeya/Rosaria would slot in fine. You're also running without a healer, which will get sketchy at higher chambers of abyss where Razor's damage ceiling starts affecting you. I'd probably rather run something like Razor/Kaeya/Fish/Diona.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mailer posted:

You need a cryo, not XQ. Kaeya/Rosaria would slot in fine. You're also running without a healer, which will get sketchy at higher chambers of abyss where Razor's damage ceiling starts affecting you. I'd probably rather run something like Razor/Kaeya/Fish/Diona.
Oh, I wasn't sure about Cryo because the KQM guide had said something about diminishing returns on -RES (at least in terms of going for the Geo Res shred vs the Superconduct -Phys RES). Rosaria vs Kaeya, if I've got c6 Rosaria and c "lol you will never see him again on a banner" Kaeya, am I safe shelving him for her?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Oh, I wasn't sure about Cryo because the KQM guide had said something about diminishing returns on -RES (at least in terms of going for the Geo Res shred vs the Superconduct -Phys RES). Rosaria vs Kaeya, if I've got c6 Rosaria and c "lol you will never see him again on a banner" Kaeya, am I safe shelving him for her?
They're pretty similar here; you just need continuous cryo application so Superconduct stays up during the Razor burst. I think Rosaria is a bit better overall unless the target runs away from her burst.

I've personally always valued Zhongli as the 4th alongside Diona and Kaeya/Rosaria so that you can keep your greedy carry alive, but that means you lose the battery for Razor.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SC generally does the job just fine on its own. Rainbow shred works too, albeit to a lesser extent, but even past the threshold an extra 10% isn't anything to sneeze at. Razor/Eula pretty much always want SC up so you're always looking at Razor + cryobuddy (or two) to ensure 100% uptime. You could stack double geo on top of that, but then you have no healer and no way to feed Razor particles. ZL is great at keeping Razor alive without needing to dodge all the time but you have to give up healing, give up consistent SC, or give up a battery to use him.

On Kaeya vs Rosaria: it's so situational that it's a wash. If you've got C6 Rosaria and C0 Kaeya, there's your choice made.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mailer posted:

. You could stack double geo on top of that, but then you have no healer and no way to feed Razor particles. ZL is great at keeping Razor alive without needing to dodge all the time but you have to give up healing, give up consistent SC, or give up a battery to use him.
Once she's out, would the 4* Electro possibly work as a healer + battery? I don't know how strong her generation is mathing out but that might be a spicy option.

Also thanks everybody! Gonna really make this random standard-banner Wolf's Gravestone shine.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Instead of Theater Mechanicus, this event should've had whatever card game Itto and pals got hooked on

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

gandlethorpe posted:

Instead of Theater Mechanicus, this event should've had whatever card game Itto and pals got hooked on

Genshin Triple Triad where you have to go around and find the cards out in the wild or from NPCs :v:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mix. posted:

Genshin Triple Triad where you have to go around and find the cards out in the wild or from NPCs :v:

A card that you only get after doing a daily with a 1% chance to occur 3 different ways.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Garrand posted:

A card that you only get after doing a daily with a 1% chance to occur 3 different ways.

imagining a side quest where Sara finds out you have the limited release Raiden card and pursues you to try and win it off you and smiling serenely

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
The games content is fine it just needs to pare down the amount of words it uses. I'm intrigued by most events, enthusiastic a third of the way in then indifferent and dismissive after the next 2 thirds. It isn't because of the game's cultural inclusion of Chinese culture, it's because the writers don't have a good editor.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It's so frustrating too, I know they can make the English translation much shorter and punchier with a little effort but it's like the translator thinks they're writing the next big fantasy novel or something

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Is it really the translator's fault here? Mihoyo ties animations to dialogue lines and those clearly have to match up in every language. There isn't some second localisation team hooking up the animations for an overly verbose English writing team. Chinese kids are still mashing through dialogue when they only get 3 hours per weekend, and that's the original writing team's fault.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Baiard posted:

Is it really the translator's fault here? Mihoyo ties animations to dialogue lines and those clearly have to match up in every language. There isn't some second localisation team hooking up the animations for an overly verbose English writing team. Chinese kids are still mashing through dialogue when they only get 3 hours per weekend, and that's the original writing team's fault.

It depends on what you think is too wordy. I remember really bad example during Shehes quest where the character says one sentence in Chinese and the translator blew it up into a whole paragraph. Sure the number of bubbles was probably the same, but psychologically it would have been much nicer to read 1 funny sentence instead of a paragraph of purple prose + 1 joke in there somewhere

Edit: actually pure button mashing wise I just remembered someone in discord said that they switched to Chinese text and it goes faster for them too lmao. There might actually be less text bubbles

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 25, 2022

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I have to say Itto is still one of my favourite characters. Both playstyle and his character itself, he's also beetles, broke and (no) beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

Shinji2015 posted:

Same, I'm also enjoying the insight.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of as sensitive content? I know Hoyolabs does play into some fan-shipping a bit (Amber/Eula, Beidou/Ningguang offhand), but outside of that, I can't really think of anything that might flag Chinese censors. Of course, I'm also saying that as a Westerner with a very limited understanding of what they might look for outside of obvious stuff

There is a lot of content that deals with folk spirituality like exorcism, ghosts, jiangshi (what qiqi is). That stuff is more well known as being sensitive to censorship. One of the more well known guidelines is that in popular media, ghost stories need a "materialist" explanation and so ghost stories cant actually involve the spiritual world. Genshin is filled with ghosts of all sorts and clearly a censor didn't take issue. Is it because genshin's story is clearly set in a fantasy world? Are ghosts allowed in a fantasy setting? There isn't actually some document that tells you exactly when and how you can have ghosts in your media, so their inclusion in Genshin is something the creators would need to decide is worth possibly getting flagged by a censor.

In terms of story content, the Inazuma story was surprising to me when I played through it. Genshin was released after China closed its borders and although the story is clearly based on Tokugawa Japan and its closed border policy, there is a lot of writing moments that feel like they are drawing parallels with China's current border policies. As a person who hasn't been able to travel back home to see my family in the past 2 years, I was especially sensitive to this aspect of the story. Is it an intentional comment on the current state of the country's borders? I doubt it. Could a censor see it as sensitive and flag it? Again, it depends on the censor. They don't need to point to some document and refer to a section. If they feel something is suspect, they can reject the entire media product. You might think it's on the censor board to have to prove the burden of doubt if they are going to reject something for approval, but it is entirely the other way around. This is intentional. It means people submitting something for approval are going to be proactive and overly cautious in making sure it passes censorship.

How this loops back to "cultural confidence" is quite interesting. Because almost all popular media in China faces this system of censorship approval, that means that as the guidelines become even more vague and abstract, the space for artistic experimentation narrows. It was only a few years ago that the government stressed that media needed to support core socialist values. Okay, what exactly does that mean? What exactly are "core socialist values." Fortunately the government lists them in lots of propaganda posters to helpfully remind us.

'The 12 values, written in 24 Chinese characters,[1] are the national values of "prosperity", "democracy", "civility" and "harmony"; the social values of "freedom", "equality", "justice" and the "rule of law"; and the individual values of "patriotism", "dedication", "integrity" and "friendship"'

Oh, that's helpful. Note the inclusion of the word "democracy" there. Does that mean my story about a village voting for a non-party candidate for village leader against the party selected "appointed" leader is okay because it upholds the core value of "democracy"? Absolutely not. A list of a bunch of abstract words might seem like it is very inclusive and could apply to practically any story, but rather, it narrows the space of permitted expression because in reality, a creator who is trying to make something they hope to profit off is more likely to just steer REAL clear of anything that might cause trouble in the approval process. At the mass media corporate level, this means big media producers are extremely cautious and unwilling to take risks on anything that might be rejected. A film getting bounced back by the censor board could mean a delay of months and that delay could cost them millions.

The effect of the censorship system has really affected the diversity of media expression in the country. Mass media often follows a pattern when it is seen as safe. 10 years ago you could turn on a tv at dinner time and find 5 different tv serials of Chinese soldiers fighting Japan. They were safe and easy to make, and rarely ran into trouble with censors. Some of them were actually quite violent which is a no-no, but since they are about the war, that stuff would be overlooked by the censors. A year ago there was a big Chinese war film called The Eight Hundred. It got a lot of attention and buzz because it was about NATIONALIST (KMT) SOLDIERS fighting the Japanese. Hell, they even raised the KMT flag during the film. Something like this seems like it would absolutely be killed in the production process long before it ever got to the censor board. It wasn't though. It passed, and a lot of people were surprised that such a film could be made within the Chinese film industry. It also got good critical review because it wasn't the umpteenth war film that repeats the same themes, storyline, and tropes in a genre already known for predictability.

I don't think I need to explain how such an environment for media suppresses the range and diversity of culture that is produced. It doesn't mean its impossible to produce media in the country that is counter-culture or not fitting censorship practices, it just means you wont be making any money doing it. And the penalty is harsh. Too many lines in your music that runs afoul of the censors? Statements made at a show that upsets the authorities? Your entire music catalogue can get pulled from all the major music listening platforms and never restored.

So that's the environment Chinese games are created in. What is remarkable is that games seem to exist in a space that has the most potential for diverse expression. Everything I've described so far mostly is an issue for film, tv, and music. Games however seem to be able to wiggle out more space. Consider the stunning reality that the steam store is still accessible in China and that Chinese games can still buy games on it. All games sold in China must pass a censorship review if they want to be sold, but this doesn't apply to any games on steam. Although there is a Chinese steam store, the international client isn't completely blocked. I know many students who have huge steam catalogues. There are also lots of Chinese games sold on steam that aren't submitted for approval to the domestic censor board. It isn't even about sensitive content, it just can take a long time for the board to approve your game. There was even a complete stop on approvals for years at one point when people were in a moral panic about video games and kids.

So a game like Genshin that goes absolutely gangbusters is likely to face a lot of scrutiny because it is so popular. Remember the stuff about zombies and skeletons in WOW and how the Chinese authorities "banned" skeletons? That was less "here is a document that says no skeletons" and much more "kids are ruining their lives in this massively popular video game so we need to do something" and you end up with stupid poo poo like "no undead creatures" so you can say you are doing something. It's very likely that Genshin has probably run afoul of a few censorship matters and we simply don't see it. They seem to have a close working relationship with the authorities given the fact that there seemingly has been very little trouble with content and censorship. It wouldn't surprise me at all that they might have censor "consultants" that allow them to float content choices and be told ahead of time if its okay. I have no idea how censorship approval works for a "live game" so they must have some relationship that streamlines it.

I say all this to argue that Mihoyo seems to have a privileged position as a game company but things like this can change suddenly and arbitrarily. The gaming industry in China is relatively free compared to other industries and I'm not very optimistic it will remain this way forever.

Kekeke! fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2022