Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I took a slightly different route but it was every bit as loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ3ZN0cvm8U

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My 80 F-150 had a kill switch that shut off power to the coil (well, probably the ignition module... never traced it).

I had a blast turning it off for a few seconds, then turning it back on. KAFUCKINGBOOM. Did it a few too many times, wound up with the above result. Hacksawed it off and slapped a glasspack on it with clamps...

You ever have to pull over on the side of I-10 and try to grab a hot as poo poo glasspack out of traffic? No? It's fun!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 24, 2022

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I was trying to adjust the way-too-big-for-it carb that came PO-installed on my '70 E100 one morning before work in the parking lot, and on the next startup it... well detonated like those pics.

I had very concerned E-9 run up to my van because he was sure I shot myself or someone else in it.

The entire conversation went like "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-words from E-9" "EEEEEEEEEEE-NO! I'M FINE!" "EEEEEEEEE-STOP YELLING!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That lack of piston! :gonk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That lack of piston! :gonk:

yeah lol, when he pulled the head and just reached his whole arm in i was like "...oh boy, thats going to be exciting"

disappointed that he didnt show close-ups of the associated crank journal

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The crank journal seemed fine from him spinning the half a rod on it, that's a common thing on turbo LS builds when you go past the power stock rods can handle. Guys will pull their blown up block apart and find the bottom half of the rod still spinning perfectly fine and no real bearing damage. I think it really just ate 75% of a valve and turned the piston and connecting rod into mulch.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This is supposedly what happens when you try and feed 800hp worth of power through the stock Ford Raptor 10R80 transmission.

I bet that made a wonderful noise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm having trouble even processing what part of the transmission I'm looking at here - it's a straight cut gear with a bolt on it, reverse gear on a manual? Some kind of internal pump or governor mechanism on an automatic?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

10R80's a ten speed auto, so that's gotta be the drive gear for a pump.

E: yup

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 25, 2022

ili
Jul 26, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm having trouble even processing what part of the transmission I'm looking at here - it's a straight cut gear with a bolt on it, reverse gear on a manual? Some kind of internal pump or governor mechanism on an automatic?

Oil pump drive gears for the 10R80 auto trans afaik. From reading around they're known to sometimes have issues with the gears being poorly aligned and whining.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Solution for this high-power scenario would be to replace this gear train and pump with an externally driven ATF pump?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

bennyfactor posted:

Solution for this high-power scenario would be to replace this gear train and pump with an externally driven ATF pump?

Solution is to buy a chevy

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

chrisgt posted:

Solution is to buy a chevy
Yeah that GM 10L80 is sure to be massively different...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-GM_10-speed_automatic_transmission

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

My 80 F-150 had a kill switch that shut off power to the coil (well, probably the ignition module... never traced it).

I had a blast turning it off for a few seconds, then turning it back on. KAFUCKINGBOOM. Did it a few too many times, wound up with the above result. Hacksawed it off and slapped a glasspack on it with clamps...

You ever have to pull over on the side of I-10 and try to grab a hot as poo poo glasspack out of traffic? No? It's fun!

Something similar *might* be why I blew the muffler in my El Camino. So, for those that don't know, in '68, the ignition switch was still in the dash, with no locking column feature, so no risk to turning the ignition off while moving in gear (other than to your mufflers when you turn the ignition back on.) I thought the backfire you get was a hoot. Turns out it also tends to stress your OEM muffler a bit.

kastein posted:

I took a slightly different route but it was every bit as loud

I imagine the core of the muffler shooting backwards like a rocket, and laugh.

wolrah posted:

Yeah that GM 10L80 is sure to be massively different...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-GM_10-speed_automatic_transmission

I feel like :thejoke:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Unfortunately it was welded to the tailpipe and had been hanging there making nails on a chalkboard noises in the back of the muffler until the tailpipe hangers rotted off for the third time and I just let it drag the rest of the way to the hangar, then built and put the new stainless exhaust on. No issues since, though the downpipe is still lovely aluminized steel from years ago and barely intact. I'm hoping it holds up until I can get the barn built out West.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ford has a recall for new F-150s where loose underbody insulation can damage the driveshaft.

Someone kept driving their truck for months despite the visible damage.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Is that driveshaft made of aluminum foil wrapped around expanding foam?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Is that driveshaft made of aluminum foil wrapped around expanding foam?

It's aluminized marshmallow.

The foam is there to stop the driveshaft from turning into a musical instrument.

Early ones actually had cardboard in them.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am baffled how insulation does that to a driveshaft.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero One posted:

Ford has a recall for new F-150s where loose underbody insulation can damage the driveshaft.

Someone kept driving their truck for months despite the visible damage.

Four wheel drive lathe.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Seeing the number of people driving around my area with the front ends of their underbody trays dragging on the ground, it doesn’t surprise me at all that someone drove their F-150 until the insulation caused the driveshaft to split.

um excuse me posted:

I hope you’ve never had the displeasure of whacking your hand off that sort of insulation because that poo poo is sharp.

Also your pun made me groan out loud so good job.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Goes well with the undersized axle tubes crushing since someone (Ford or Dana) screwed up. Super duties have so many recalls it will make your head spin.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

um excuse me posted:

It's also pretty heavy duty poo poo. It could double as fuel tank shielding or something.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A little road dust in between two pieces of metal with a few thousand rpm involved and it'll happen pretty quick. Especially on an aluminum tube that's only 0.125" thick to start out. It doesn't take much to wear that below the point where it'll start fracturing and then it's all over very suddenly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, alunimum is pretty drat soft.

Pending horrible mechanical failure: Where the plastic loom sits against my charge pipes, the plastic has worn into the metal.

Brazing rods and loom tape have been on my shopping list for a few years, but you know how that goes. It hasn't gotten through yet!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Powershift posted:

Yeah, alunimum is pretty drat soft.

Pending horrible mechanical failure: Where the plastic loom sits against my charge pipes, the plastic has worn into the metal.

Brazing rods and loom tape have been on my shopping list for a few years, but you know how that goes. It hasn't gotten through yet!

holy poo poo I didn't realize this could happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The hot plastic cut into the aluminum?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that that’s done by grit getting in between the parts.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

Bingo. Grit and vibration.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The plastic engine cover on my wife's 2009 Cobalt rubbed a hole into this aluminum coolant line, that ran from the radiator to the pressurized overflow tank.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nothing a little road dirt impregnated nylon cant cut through

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Had a friend's GTI spring a leak in the radiator. The cause was the plastic fan shroud being pressed against it for 60k miles. Fixed it with a Dremel, some JB weld, and a few spacers.

Aluminum is soft.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

Basically unintentional lapping.

quote:

The other form of lapping involves a softer material such as pitch or a ceramic for the lap, which is "charged" with the abrasive. The lap is then used to cut a harder material—the workpiece. The abrasive embeds within the softer material, which holds it and permits it to score across and cut the harder material. Taken to a finer limit, this will produce a polished surface such as with a polishing cloth on an automobile, or a polishing cloth or polishing pitch upon glass or steel.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Every now and then I have to remind someone that water made the grand canyon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Here's one from work today. Part of my job is recommending and spec'ing in gearboxes/PT (power transmission) for major industrial clients.

One client of mine has an application where the gearbox is constantly splashed on with process water, so I did a fairly simple recommendation of having the gearbox supplied with a "washdown" package. This is very common, it typically includes special seals, epoxy finish, and other anti-corrosion treatments. Typically most common in food plants but is a solution to be used wherever water in the environment is a problem.

ANYHOW, got the gearbox into the plant late last year. The client reaches out a week ago saying "Hey, this gearbox is making a funny vibration. We're going to put in our spare in but can you tear into it and see what the problem is?"

Weird, since it was so new but this is totally what we do, so for sure. I personally grab it, take it to our shop and take it apart. I personally expected the 10HP motor to be the source of the problem, but I was mistaken.

The gearbox was full of water. So everything is now milkshake and actual corrosion was well underway in the interior.

How? Especially since this thing was specifically spec'd out to withstand to direct waterjets/washdown?

The genius manufacturer somehow equipped it with the most basic standard breather available. Nothing with a check/one way valve in it. At all. All the best paint/seals/finish in the world aren't going to help you if you have in essence a 3/8" hole on top of it protected by an upside down can. It's like getting the strongest, most secure lock on your front door but leaving it ajar.

loving bravo. Way to take out a 6 month old gearbox. :golfclap:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d assume this means that the now in-service spare is also presently filled with milkshake.

Ahhhhh, industry. All the wonder of technology, all the idiocy of penny-pinching middle management.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably. TBH I never even thought of that.. but I'm going to have to give them a heads-up as this is going to be out of commission for a while.

I feel bad for the client, this is totally not their fault. They paid a premium to not have this happen. This is such a common thing (water ingress protection) it should have been fine for years. In fact, I'll give them a pat on the back for picking up the vibration before the inevitable catastrophic failure... which is better predictive maintenance than most do.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

Probably. TBH I never even thought of that.. but I'm going to have to give them a heads-up as this is going to be out of commission for a while.

I feel bad for the client, this is totally not their fault. They paid a premium to not have this happen. This is such a common thing (water ingress protection) it should have been fine for years. In fact, I'll give them a pat on the back for picking up the vibration before the inevitable catastrophic failure... which is better predictive maintenance than most do.
What's the warranty like on something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm going to have a very uncomfortable for them conversation with the manufacturer. This is not the first time they hosed up a new build. The way it sits, they are exceedingly lucky it didn't take the plant down as its in a critical application.

e: If they try to tell me that's the "proper" breather for a washdown application, I'm going to come unglued.