Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The 5800X3D has the same core architecture / IPC as the 5800X but it runs at lower clock speeds and has an extra 64MB of cache (96MB up from 32MB). This results in relatively low latency at 128MB because those transfers have a higher chance of remaining in cache. For most real-world tasks performance will be comparable to the 5800X which is significantly cheaper. Some specific cache sensitive scenarios such as canned game benchmarks with a 3090-Ti will benefit. Be wary of sponsored reviews with cherry picked games that showcase the wins and ignore the losses. Also watch out for AMD’s army of Neanderthal social media accounts on reddit, forums and youtube, they will be singing their own praises as usual. AMD’s marketers continue to show more interest in this year’s bonuses than the longevity of the brand. Instead of focussing on real-world performance, they attempt to dupe consumers with benchmark busting headlines. The same tactics were used with the Radeon 5000 series GPUs. In order to compete, Zen4 needs to bring substantial IPC improvements, rather than overpriced "3D" marketing gimmicks. Either way, new high end PC gaming builders have little reason to look further than the 12600K. Users with existing AM4 builds should wait just a few more months for Zen4 / Raptor Lake rather than wasting money on an end-of-life platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

userbenchmark.com?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steve tears down some stolen property

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wno4t7YqMM4

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another round of "bash alienware" from Steve

https://youtu.be/DY1dlVPzUVo

That case is dire need of a serious redesign. Steve point of custom motherboards being bad still wrong tho, nobody is going to keep upgrading those prebuilt beyond swapping disks, gpu and ram, which are all user upgradable.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

SlowBloke posted:

That case is dire need of a serious redesign.

I'm rather surprised that Dell out of all companies isn't willing to put up money for tools for a new case with better cooling in mind. Sure it is rather expensive (six figures at minimum), but the amount of systems Dell sells the cost should be negligible but cheap owners are going to be well cheap.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TearsOfPirates posted:

I'm rather surprised that Dell out of all companies isn't willing to put up money for tools for a new case with better cooling in mind. Sure it is rather expensive (six figures at minimum), but the amount of systems Dell sells the cost should be negligible but cheap owners are going to be well cheap.

Funnily enough Dell remakes their namebrand cases for every new generation. Their precision cases are far better to look at and work on than this plastic abomination, nobody would say anything bad if they just add a new Alienware bezel on those and call it a day

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SlowBloke posted:

Funnily enough Dell remakes their namebrand cases for every new generation. Their precision cases are far better to look at and work on than this plastic abomination, nobody would say anything bad if they just add a new Alienware bezel on those and call it a day

After the previous GN alienware review someone pointed out that these things are just a midrange Precision workstation case, wrapped in a giant plastic shell. It's a 3660, look at the backside.

The plastic shell has zero purpose other than looks, tilting the regular metal box on the inside at a jaunty angle, and restricting airflow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that a spoof of the Fox alien autopsy show? Never saw it but just guessing :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

That case is dire need of a serious redesign. Steve point of custom motherboards being bad still wrong tho, nobody is going to keep upgrading those prebuilt beyond swapping disks, gpu and ram, which are all user upgradable.

People upgrade prebuilts all the time. I took my shity Pentium 4 HP machine and ship-of-theseused it one part at a time, swapping the motherboard at some point before replanting everything into a new case.

Proprietary motherboards suck rear end and are unnecessarily limiting, and steve is right to be mad at them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The fundamental tissue with custom motherboards and power supplies that don't follow standard PC specifications is that they're made to ensure that the company making them has a higher chance of future and higher profit.
It's directly anti-consumerist in the worst way possible, and there's absolutely nothing defensible about them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's low hanging fruit content, but in this case Dell absolutely deserves the criticism. Especially since it might actually get Dell to make changes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People upgrade prebuilts all the time. I took my shity Pentium 4 HP machine and ship-of-theseused it one part at a time, swapping the motherboard at some point before replanting everything into a new case.

Proprietary motherboards suck rear end and are unnecessarily limiting, and steve is right to be mad at them.

Maybe it's anedoctal but everyone i met who is happy to spend the dough for a Alienware, omen or legion will simply throw the computer away or sell it out whole when they are done with it, people who wants to play ship of Theseus will grab a cheap prebuilt at a local computer shop instead for half the price.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SlowBloke posted:

Maybe it's anedoctal but everyone i met who is happy to spend the dough for a Alienware, omen or legion will simply throw the computer away or sell it out whole when they are done with it, people who wants to play ship of Theseus will grab a cheap prebuilt at a local computer shop instead for half the price.

I got my Alienware through an outlet sale, and yeah I was a little disappointed about my upgrade options when I started looking into it 5 years later (couldn't even upgrade to a Kaby Lake from Skylake because of BIOS restrictions).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Okay, well your friends may not give a poo poo, but that doesn't mean it's not bad to limit upgradeability to such an extent.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Not sure if many of you will know this channel, not that it matters I guess.
Anyway, recently I have been having to skip his frst 30 seconds as it it is just too manic. Now that I think of it, I don't always watch to the end, or have to watch a bit at a time as it's just over the top. I watched an older video from a couple of years back and the difference is hilarious.
What is it that causes this over the top poo poo, it grinds my gears. I get it (but still hate it) if if is Gamer stuff, or aimed at kids, but this guy is talking about servers. High end stuff too sometime, like liquid cooled exotic boxen. Sometimes it's $100,000s of dollars worth, that gets introduced and described like he's trying to hype up a 1990s Nickelodeon show live audience just before someone gets covered in green slime. It's pretty funny, but nobody should talk about a Thinkstation like that lol. Just watch a couple of seconds of one, then the other and I think you'll get what I mean.

Before (well, 2 years ago)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2F2TlASaRw

After....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiTSzeV1ML8

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 24, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

Anyway, recently I have been having to skip his frst 30 seconds as it it is just too manic. Now that I think of it, I don't always watch to the end, or have to watch a bit at a time as it's just over the top. I watched an older video from a couple of years back and the difference is hilarious.
What is it that causes this over the top poo poo, it grinds my gears. I get it (but still hate it) if if is Gamer stuff, or aimed at kids, but this guy is talking about servers. High end stuff too sometime, like liquid cooled exotic boxen. Sometimes it's $100,000s of dollars worth, that gets introduced and described like he's trying to hype up a 1990s Nickelodeon show live audience just before someone gets covered in green slime. It's pretty funny, but nobody should talk about a Thinkstation like that lol. Just watch a couple of seconds of one, then the other and I think you'll get what I mean.

After....

Yeah, I very explicitly unsubscribed and just stick to the articles via RSS for this reason.

It's just too much.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Adolf Glitter posted:

After....

Youtube algorithm seems to incentivate sugar rush high hyper active nerds for tech content

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's some algorithm poo poo but I agree it's dumb, like when he introduces some Arisa 100 gig switch by resting it on his shoulder or something, it's annoying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
NetworkChuck kind of does this too, just the fake enthusiasm. I like NC more than most because he explains things in an easy to digest way while being entertaining enough to not bore me.

Which kind of reminded me of Austin Evans who I haven't really watched in years and holy poo poo that is almost as unbearable as the Lyle character Bitiwt does.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like watching STH and sometimes it makes me sad that I might never live in a house big enough to really need even mild server architecture, because I'd otherwise love to do something like a bifurcated 3950X with dual GPUs sitting in an upstairs closet somewhere while I access it remotely with a 1L client, or a media server, or a dedicated linux box to do PiHole

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I just read the StH articles on their website and skip the videos because I am 98 years old

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New 8-bit Guy YouTube Poop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B9yp03G3bc

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LOL when the IBM 7496 got spliced in

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
In one of the more recent LGR videos Clint ran into that guy at Computer Reset and did a quick gig about him cutting into an antique IBM that was pretty funny. But gently caress that guy lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

In one of the more recent LGR videos Clint ran into that guy at Computer Reset and did a quick gig about him cutting into an antique IBM that was pretty funny. But gently caress that guy lol

That story at least has a happy ending as someone who knows what they're doing got ahold of that poor old IBM executive PC and fixed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah9Rh1xxWn0

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

And now they've posted the actual test results to go with that teardown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvxSkqJ8ic

The level of thermal throttling is just.. yikes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

some of the older videos where he torments techmoan made me cry.

edit: it looks like i was thinking of a different much older channel and i had the roles reversed. here's one of those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXOH1tJJu4

upon reflection it doesn't fit as nicely with their actual personalities though

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 2, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

His point of "You need to replace/repair the motherboard if a USB port goes bad" is absolutely right.

There's also a question of what happens if your $5000 plastic toaster oven doesn't sell. How many of those boards cut for that specific case did you make? Can't use them in anything else unless you design future cases in the same way. It's also a service problem: if anyone other than a Dell licensed shop services it, they can't just go "well, your board is fried, here's a comparable model I have in stock to fix it." They have to order the specific model from Dell. And yes, if you throw away a $5000 PC because the motherboard broke, you are Bad With Money. If you buy that PC you're BWM, but I'm just addressing the bizarre opinion expressed here.

You can argue about being "fine" with the restriction, however it is something that should never have existed in the first place to be debated as there's no good reason to do it in the first place other than enforcing your brand's walled garden.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
even in the situations where it genuinely doesn't matter (ie it's a user who never upgrades it, it survives a normal operating life and is thrown away instead of recycled) then it also wouldn't matter if they just used an existing standard. the cost savings must be miniscule, what percentage of users need to be perfectly ignorant, lucky and wasteful for the practice to stop being anti-consumer? imo it would need to be pretty close to 100%.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
That still feels like $2000 of markup on a pc you could buy for $3000 worth of Newegg components and paying their already marked up retail prices

dell gets GPUs by the shipping container load, they don’t pay Newegg prices.

Still, that case is like “We gotta stick with it, even though it sucks because of ‘Brand Image’ what kind of rube sees that case on the shelf at Best Buy and says “OMG drool worthy!!!🤑🤑🤑🤑”

E: I mean, fine, it’s not 2003 anymore and the general purpose home desktop PC concluded its march to the bottom years ago. You could say that with android and chromebook devices it’s broken through the bottom of the floor.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 2, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Coffee Jones posted:

Still, that case is like “We gotta stick with it, even though it sucks because of ‘Brand Image’ what kind of rube sees that case on the shelf at Best Buy and says “OMG drool worthy!!!🤑🤑🤑🤑”

Gamers. The slanted oval look of the Aurora series has become semi-iconic for them, hence Dell adapting the basic outline for multiple generations of the line. It helps that they spend a shitload of money placing it at esports events to push the idea that this is what the pros use.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and the tragic part is most people totally won't notice. if you don't know what to expect you can't detect it's underperforming.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Is that Alienware monstrosity really just them bolting cheap plastic gamer tacky stuff on to the same case they use for the endless business machines they put out?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes I think they're just Precision chassis underneath

Alienware R13:

Precision 3660:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 2, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this is in no way intended to be any kind of excuse for the sort of crap that Dell (or any other bad airflow prebuilt/case) does, but how much of the thermal throttling could you relieve [on any PC] just by leaving the side panel off entirely?

Shipon posted:

Is that Alienware monstrosity really just them bolting cheap plastic gamer tacky stuff on to the same case they use for the endless business machines they put out?

yes

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is in no way intended to be any kind of excuse for the sort of crap that Dell (or any other bad airflow prebuilt/case) does, but how much of the thermal throttling could you relieve [on any PC] just by leaving the side panel off entirely?

yes

Depends. On some you get some weird black magic airflow stuff where the side panels shape airflow and gently caress me if I understand how that works but sometimes it does?

In most cases though, assuming the CASE is the problem, the answer is "yes." This doesn't help much if your cooling solutions are undersized for the wattage load--no amount of open air is going to get an L9i cooling a 12900k running at full turbo forever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The proper way to address the thermal situation on an Alienware system is to bolt on a large fan that blows it directly into the trash.

Doing anything with those systems is just throwing good money after bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GN often does test cases with panels removed to see how it affects temps, but that goes against their rules for testing prebuilts. No-one who buys this is going to think to take the case off to improve airflow so it isn’t a relevant point in the review. Though it’d probably make a good extras video.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

They actually did have a test run with front panel removed in there somewhere and it brought it "down" to 87C iirc. Probably just because there was already no way to save that thing so you might as well do it for giggles to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shipon posted:

That's been Alienware's gimmick since the beginning. They were bolting cheap plastic gamer stuff onto regular old cases long before Dell bought them.

The old pre-Dell alienware cases, the ones that looked like a bulbous alien head, were built around a pretty standard case, iirc by the same OEM that did a lot of Antec cases. But those were made for the days when PCs consumed 1/2 the watts of today and lots of cases had terrible cooling by modern standards.

Also those things were big, they were a full tower case with curved plastic wrapped around it. The new Dell oval alienware is a compact mini-tower on the inside. It's only the insane way they've tilted it at an angle inside the plastic that makes it the size of a standard tower on the outside. The difference in internal volume is huge. Internal volume helps with cooling -- it can't save a case with zero airflow, but it reduces hotspots and makes fans more efficient.