Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Rome was planned out and went over a long period of time in universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

You know all that speaking about walt and when/where he lost sympathy is when I realised how completely unhinged Kim and Jimmy's behaviour is at the moment. Will we look back and think "well of course they were always terrible, look at what they were going around doing to those poor lawyers and country clubs. he lost my sympathy in the third episode"

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I never had any sympathy for Jimmy. Chuck was right.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nah, those people had it coming. Jimmy ran one scam on a wholly undeserving victim, and when the fog cleared he'd rather torch his career and reputation than let it go through.

If anything pushes them over the edge it's on the cartel side of things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A good example of a show that did plan out its conclusion from the start is How I Met Your Mother. And that turned out to be a horrible mistake because the predetermined ending failed to take into account all of the naturally occurring character development that had taken place over the course of nearly a decade. So you end up with two people ending up together when the show had very clearly established that they're a toxic couple with no chemistry that are better off as friends and everyone hates it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jimmy loving with rich bankers and lawyers doesn’t make him a bad person, Jimmy not giving a gently caress about the consequences of his actions and being completely without respect for other peoples’ agency makes him a bad person.

Most all of his victims in the show are pieces of poo poo which makes for a fun and surface level sympathetic character but he’s still a narcissist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean he runs a big scam on his brother who ends up killing himself - that was pretty bad.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Chamale posted:

It's incredible how much of Better Call Saul came from what Jimmy said as he was dragged to a shallow grave in the desert. "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio, he's the one!" And "Lalo didn't send you? No Lalo? Oh, thank God." I love the way he calms down after that line, telling Walt and Jesse that there are much scarier people than them out there.

"it" is going to be who blabbed his name to the feds isn't it?

wouldn't make sense for Jimmy to ever know about the assassination attempt in Mexico. Mike won't tell him.
and he's definitely just picking Nacho as a random name he's safe to blame someone dead / vanished & already out of favour, and not because Jimmy actually knows anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

skipmyseashells posted:

Rome was planned out and went over a long period of time in universe

So, you're saying it wasn't written in a day? Makes sense.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like Jimmy's breaking bad is like 50% due to circumstances beyond his control and 50% due to how he's learned to deal with those circumstances. And half the things beyond his control were directly Chuck's backdoor manipulation, superiority complex and inability or refusal to outright tell him the substantive things that pushed Jimmy over the edge. Namely how Chuck disapproved of his being a lawyer, sabotaged his efforts to get a gig at HHM, and generally resents his presence as the lovable brother stealing his thunder. Not that these are things that needed outright confessions or confrontation, but his acting like a loving brother to Jimmy's face while pushing so much pent up toxicity and drama behind the scenes did a lot to drive Jimmy over the edge whenever the roadblocks affected his life.

Chuck's final dagger of outright telling Jimmy that he'd rather him embrace his Slippin' ways over keeping a moral conscience says a lot more about Chuck's own breaking bad than anything else. He who identified Jimmy's public threat as a lawyer chose to drop any concern for public safety and instead armed him as the chimp with a machine gun while also washing his hands of their relationship--Chuck lost all of his own integrity and morals at once before his untimely death.

However, if Chuck had any capacity to treat people as people instead of inferiors, well there wouldn't be a Better Call Saul and he wouldn't have been Walt's lawyer.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 24, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New ep tomorrow :woop:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Jimmy loving with rich bankers and lawyers doesn’t make him a bad person, Jimmy not giving a gently caress about the consequences of his actions and being completely without respect for other peoples’ agency makes him a bad person.

Most all of his victims in the show are pieces of poo poo which makes for a fun and surface level sympathetic character but he’s still a narcissist.

If we're gonna armchair diagnose he's closer to anti-social personality disorder. He's more addicted to the thrill of the game than getting attention and validation. ASPD persons need a lot of stimulation, get bored easily, may be smooth talkers and flatterers, and is characterised by genuine risk-taking and rule breaking just for the sake of it, often where an NPD would be all talk.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 24, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

massive spider posted:

If we're gonna armchair diagnose he's closer to anti-social personality disorder. He's more addicted to the thrill of the game, the risk taking and the smooth talking, than about getting attention and validation.

Yeah, at least in BCS it's clear he doesn't actually want to be known for his slippin scams, he'd prefer to be seen as a credible person. The risks are more like his unhealthy way of coping, especially when life gets stressful or difficult. Plenty of room for at least one more huge traumatic event that turns him into unrepentant BB Saul.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

massive spider posted:

Him rejecting Gretchen and Elliots money I've always interpreted on some level as partly influenced by the fact that he has already killed by that point. Maybe Walt a few weeks ago would even have accepted it, but post-murder Walt has a sunk-cost fallacy thing going on now. He's already gone too far to admit the meth thing was a bad idea.

Not sure I agree with this since Walt had broken up with Gretchen way back when seemingly due to feeling inferior to her wealthy family. And I got the sense he sold his share of Grey Matter for (what ended up being) a pittance due to jealousy/anger over them getting together. He probably could've got a high paying job with Grey Matter whenever he wanted.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I really like the way the Grey Matter story unfolds. At the start it looks like Walt probably got hosed over by a more charismatic business partner but as the story goes it becomes less clear that that’s the case, to the point where it’s just as if not more likely that he was the one that torpedoed the relationship.

You never learn exactly what happened—and rightly so because it’s not as important what actually happened as it is how Walt feels about it—but you know enough that you could piece together a reasonable guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One might say it's a.......................................... sort of ambiguous situation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love a mention of Grey Matter in BCS. That's the kind of 'blink and you'll miss it' reference I'd appreciate.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Heisenberg's probably been brewing in Walt for a long time. It's sort of implicit that's why he didn't do well with his jobs between Gray Matter and school teaching, his own personality issues. His relationship with Skylar and her family is interesting in hindsight, why he allows himself to end up as he does in season 1.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I imagine Walt’s career went downhill as GM did better. Like the more successful GM became the more checked out Walt was in his jobs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

There's just no way to justify anything that Walt does after we learn that he didn't have to do any of it when his friends offered him a job and even offered to pay for his treatment. It's not one's fault but Walt's that he's a little bitch baby that can't get over anything and can't accept help. Booo hooo grey matter was his idea or whatever. Who gives a poo poo? Just accept their help and stop being a little baby.

That's right where they started humanizing the side characters who at first were portrayed more from Walt's perspective as not appreciating him/being dicks to him. Rejecting the money was the huge character moment that was showing you to stop rooting for Walt as an underdog and instead that he was going to become a villain to pretty much everyone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This is why "they made it up as they went along!!" isn't a proper criticism of Lost (hard to believe Lost ended 12 years ago!). It was written "as they went along", as in one season at a time, like any other show. Season 5 of BB was written in two separate sessions. A proper criticism of Lost is that they didn't closely examine the previous season(s) to make it work and flow properly. They introduced stuff each season that wasn't always followed through on in the next one and previous things were often dropped inexplicably. I still liked Lost in spite of it's many flaws such as those, but that is the most common criticism you still hear about it today.

It was an issue with Lost because it was *too much* about reveals and after a while, you can tell they were spinning their wheels and had no actual reveals. Once the curtain is lifted, it makes the show tedious, especially having 20-something episode seasons. I think I realized that somewhere in Season 2 and stopped watching until they came up with an actual plan. Then the shows plotting got a LOT better (although a lot of people didn't like...or didn't understand what the reveals actually were).

Breaking Bad is a bit different in that the only season with a reveal is the most disliked part of the entire show (flash-forward to the pool/plane stuff). Otherwise, you're just watching a character evolve, which means you can write on the fly and organically come up with what happens.

Saul is a hybrid because they could play with the evolution of Saul throughout, but they still needed an end plan about why he ended up in a mall Cinnabon alone.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

christmas boots posted:

I imagine Walt’s career went downhill as GM did better. Like the more successful GM became the more checked out Walt was in his jobs.

Dorian Gray Matter :tinfoil:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kuiperdolin posted:

lmao

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love a mention of Grey Matter in BCS. That's the kind of 'blink and you'll miss it' reference I'd appreciate.

After seeing the big flashing sign for the El Camino Diner last week, I'll pass on that one.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Incredible

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm sure this has been discussed ITT before, like months ago when the image dropped, but I just saw the poster for season 6 for the first time and noticed something:

He's got a moustache. Has he ever had a moustache before he became Gene? It's also in black & white, like our flash-forward Gene scenes - except the jacket. I think this is really not-subtly hinting that a lot of this season (maybe the entire back half, are they doing it split like the last season of BB?) is going to be post-BB, with him stepping back into his old ways to "fix it," as he told Ed over the phone that he would.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

I may be misremembering but isn't there a point somewhere in season 5 where he mentions how much money he'd have if he hadn't sold his stock, implying he's been keeping an eye on GM's performance all these years as a kind of financial grudge?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed ITT before, like months ago when the image dropped, but I just saw the poster for season 6 for the first time and noticed something:

He's got a moustache. Has he ever had a moustache before he became Gene? It's also in black & white, like our flash-forward Gene scenes - except the jacket. I think this is really not-subtly hinting that a lot of this season (maybe the entire back half, are they doing it split like the last season of BB?) is going to be post-BB, with him stepping back into his old ways to "fix it," as he told Ed over the phone that he would.

I like how the use of color in that poster ties in with the first sequence of the show, where his old commercials reflected off of his glasses is the only hint of color we see in his drab existence.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Takes No Damage posted:

I may be misremembering but isn't there a point somewhere in season 5 where he mentions how much money he'd have if he hadn't sold his stock, implying he's been keeping an eye on GM's performance all these years as a kind of financial grudge?
Yeah when he didn't want to sell the methylamine wholesale. He says GM is worth billions and he's not making that mistake again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

Yeah when he didn't want to sell the methylamine wholesale. He says GM is worth billions and he's not making that mistake again.

He tells Jesse, in some episode in S5, that he's not in the meth business, he's in the empire business. That's because every day, he checks the stock price of GM, and it's now in the "billions... with a 'b'".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

In the podcast they were talking with one of the production designers and she was saying how crazy it was to recreate a bunch of breaking bad sets, so take what you will from that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Voxx posted:

im glad mike's voice has returned to haunt the thread, one last time
MAIKH SHOT FIRST

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah he outright says he checks the stock price regularly.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

if only walts cancer waited a few more years he couldve became a bitcoin guy instead and all this tragedy wouldve been avoided

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

if only walts cancer waited a few more years he couldve became a bitcoin guy instead and all this tragedy wouldve been avoided

What, you want his character to start even FURTHER in debt?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

bitcoin was already a thing during the breaking bad timeline lol

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If I had bought in when I first heard about BTC, I could afford to blanket my entire roof with unsliced pizza today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

eke out posted:

In the podcast they were talking with one of the production designers and she was saying how crazy it was to recreate a bunch of breaking bad sets, so take what you will from that
Well at some point we're going to get Saul's office again, so there's that

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sets in the plural, though - Saul's office and Saul's front room? I don't know if Los Pollos Hermanos or the superlab would count as they've already made them for BCS. Maybe we'll see Jane's apartment again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Luff posted:

I like how the use of color in that poster ties in with the first sequence of the show, where his old commercials reflected off of his glasses is the only hint of color we see in his drab existence.

I pointed it out at the time, but he was looking at the past through literal rose-tinted glasses :c00l:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well at some point we're going to get Saul's office again, so there's that

There's already been at least one flash forward set there, I'm sure they have it stacked up in a corner somewhere ready to go.