Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I got sucked in and watched more of that than I should have at bed time. It was an old building in Paris that must have had running water retrofitted in or something. That’s why the tub was in the tiny kitchen with a partition wall to make the closet toilet. It probably had a single water source and drain run.

They also did something kinda strange for the flooring. They took strips of wood and made a X with nails down it’s length. They then sunk that X into blobs of plaster or cement or something. They then proceeded to pack the underside of the wood with the plaster/cement. The effect was to make like ferring strips with an 8 inch deep, 1.5 foot wide (but you know whatever in metric) gaps that was then filled win with ground cork for sound insulation.

And termites. That building had termites kinda bad. Must been some pretty good construction to still be standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Saw this looking at some homes. Why would you put vents under the washer/dryer? Unless they're supposed to be placed ~2ft from the wall.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/u9rmyq/my_friend_who_is_an_engineering_major_designed_a/

Tag yourself, I'm a useful door.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Im the flower thing in upper middle (fan?)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I’m the CRT TV, all by itself in an inaccessible room.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Back in middle school, I had an assignment to draw the floorplan for my "dream home", which I thought was a pretty dumb assignment. It took me more than 30 minutes, but I turned in a house that wasn't too dissimilar to this one. About 2/3rds of the space was taken up by a spiral you had to navigate to get from one side of the house to the other.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I understand that this is what f e m a l e s like

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm the pit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Saw this looking at some homes. Why would you put vents under the washer/dryer? Unless they're supposed to be placed ~2ft from the wall.

I am also confused as to why you would place two vents. Although if the only concern is heating, as opposed to cooling, it would still be somewhat functional, in theory. But the presence of two vents makes me doubt other things about this set up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FCKGW posted:

The gas connection is my clue that this is to have a minimum amount of combustion air into the room.

It looks awful, and a washer flooding also now has a great path downstairs and into the furnace.

America
Apr 26, 2017

FCKGW posted:

Really depends on whether those are outies or innies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m SUS.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

America posted:

Are you saying one is a vent and the other is a return?

Maybe they really wanted to smell the dryer sheets working throughout the house so they put a return under the dryer?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My new job is letting me stay in the owner's son's unused house in the area while I do some house hunting of my own and my god this place is So. Much. House. 4 bedrooms three bathrooms, two living rooms, and master suite which is likely bigger than the townhouse I'm coming from. It's loving baller, and I have a twinge of intimidation for the role I'm stepping into. I feel like Keanu's character in Devil's Advocate.

The crappy construction part: I was told one of the toilets was running a little bit... probably an old seal or something. "Okay, no problem" and then curiosity got to me so I lifted the lid of the tank. I found the lever attached to the float was so rusted out it had started to bend, and it crumbled when I touched it.

I'm not sure where the shutoff is in this house, but it ain't on the wall by the fixture. So this alternative linkage is going to need to do for a while.

I'd totally hit the hardware store and take care of this tomorrow, but 1) I don't have any tools here and 2) it's not my place, what if I make it worse? Anyway, it's not like there aren't two other toilets here to choose from

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

I’m the load bearing 1995 Ford Taurus

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

America posted:

They are probably just cutouts to the crawl space for makeup air.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

therobit posted:

They are probably just cutouts to the crawl space for makeup air.

yeah, they're probably sucking any extra humidity down there to enter the HVAC and get deposited in the reservoir of the AC.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NoWake posted:

My new job is letting me stay in the owner's son's

I'd totally hit the hardware store and take care of this tomorrow, but 1) I don't have any tools here and 2) it's not my place, what if I make it worse? Anyway, it's not like there aren't two other toilets here to choose from

Do not touch this. Tell them it's running constantly and you can't find the shutoff and you don't know how to fix toilets or anything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What if the job is toilet fixer

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My Lovely Horse posted:

What if the job is toilet fixer

How else is a goon going to end up in the Executive Washroom?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

NoWake posted:

I'm not sure where the shutoff is in this house, but it ain't on the wall by the fixture. So this alternative linkage is going to need to do for a while.

I'm fairly certain that the knob on top of the riser coming out of the floor is a shut-off valve, but don't touch that plastic piece of poo poo

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The best thing about shutoffs that haven't been used in eons is that the rubber gaskets inside them can dry out and disintegrate, leaving you with an even bigger leak that you can't shut off if you don't know where the main is.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dillbag posted:

The best thing about shutoffs that haven't been used in eons is that the rubber gaskets inside them can dry out and disintegrate, leaving you with an even bigger leak that you can't shut off if you don't know where the main is.

I've installed a bunch of brass/nylon shutoff valves in my place. Every faucet and toilet has its own 90° turn valve, but each bathroom also has a main shutoff for hot and cold, as well as laundry, the kitchen, and exterior faucets. If individual unit shutoffs fail I can run to the basement and shut them off individually, or pull the main and kill everything at once.

I lived in a place where everything had old copper tap valves that had long since seized open, and the main was nearly inaccessible and required dragging the washing machine a foot to turn off.

Never again.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dillbag posted:

I got double burned by this when I bought my house. First a sink shutoff didn't, then the main house shutoff started squirting water. I had to build towel dykes to buy time to come up with plan C.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dillbag posted:

haha absolutely, it's one thing to do this at my mom's house but here, the pipe would probably drench the floor with 5 gallons by the time I got downstairs and into the garage where I think I saw there might just be -a- shutoff.

Toilet #2 not looking so hot either: (note, this is what I found)

https://i.imgur.com/EIkORg0.mp4

I think the moral of the story here is, houses are meant to be lived in!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The recommendation with those valves is you are supposed to crank them all the way closed, then back open every 6 months to keep the packing from drying out and seizing.

No one in their right mind actually does this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:stonk:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MRC48B posted:

The recommendation with those valves is you are supposed to crank them all the way closed, then back open every 6 months to keep the packing from drying out and seizing.

I like the idea of the proto homeowner with a monthly, quarterly, bi annually and yearly checklist going through the house to go through it all. Peak "your stuff owns you" energy. Maybe if I didn't spend all day working and posting online I guess?

My main water shutoff is at the base of my basement stairs and I actually do operate them at least yearly. I have a few other checkpoints in the house but I'm not operating most of my valves unless they have problems. The sprinkler connection and the washer valves might be the only others.

And quarter turn valves are the best. I'm not sure why anyone uses the other kind. Yet they're still for sale.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NoWake posted:

haha absolutely, it's one thing to do this at my mom's house but here, the pipe would probably drench the floor with 5 gallons by the time I got downstairs and into the garage where I think I saw there might just be -a- shutoff.

Toilet #2 not looking so hot either: (note, this is what I found)

https://i.imgur.com/EIkORg0.mp4

I think the moral of the story here is, houses are meant to be lived in!

:kimchi:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MRC48B posted:

Another way to keep the seals from drying out is to back them off a quarter turn from all the way on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mudgett school of architecture.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Aww that's a deep cut.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blistex posted:

I've installed a bunch of brass/nylon shutoff valves in my place. Every faucet and toilet has its own 90° turn valve, but each bathroom also has a main shutoff for hot and cold, as well as laundry, the kitchen, and exterior faucets. If individual unit shutoffs fail I can run to the basement and shut them off individually, or pull the main and kill everything at once.

I lived in a place where everything had old copper tap valves that had long since seized open, and the main was nearly inaccessible and required dragging the washing machine a foot to turn off.

Never again.

I will most likely never have the opportunity, or ability to build my own place, but if I ever do thats one thing I plan on doing.
Every water fixture has its own shut offs, plus a shut off for the line going TO the fixture, and then the main.
That way I can shut off just the fixture, and if necessary shut off the line going to the fixture. So I can change the fixture shut off valves when they start to become pieces of poo poo (because I had to cheap out on them after spending so much money on shut off valves:v:) without having to cut off water to the entire place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just make sure to avoid Galileo syndrome.

“I must relate a circumstance which is worthy of your attention as indeed are all events, which happen contrary to expectation, especially when a precautionary measure turns out to be a cause of disaster.

“A large marble column was laid out so that its two ends rested each upon the piece of beam.

“A little later it occurred to a mechanic that in order to be doubly sure its not breaking in the middle, it would be wise to lay a third support midway. This seemed too all an excellent idea.

“It was quite the opposite, for not many months passed before the column was found cracked and broken exactly above the new middle support.

“One of the end supports had after a long while become decayed and sunken, but the middle one remained hard and strong, thus causing one half of the column to project in the air without any support.”

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MRC48B posted:

I’ve recently started doing this and have a calendar reminder. So now I need to call a plumber in to replace two valves that are way stuck, good times.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I live in a row house and I can cut off the water to my other neighbour's entire apartment with the valve in my bathroom. It also cuts off water in my apartment except for the toilet seat in said bathroom. I'm sure there were reasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As a large guy well over 6': I wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My two worries:

1. The water bill
2. The spacetime distortion in/around the cabinets

I don't need irregularities in the fabric of existence interrupting my long baths.