Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Can't wait to be disappointed for a pixel watch to not happen again https://www.droid-life.com/2022/04/15/pixel-rohan-watch-is-coming-hinted-to-run-wear-os-3-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I dont understand is them making a big deal about it running 3.1 when the Watch 4 already runs 3.2.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

No it's happening again this time for real

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Prosser's may 26th prediction looking promising.

Hopefully all the other 4100+ watches get wear os 3 at the same time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doubt it.

IF the Pixel Watch launches in a month (and I still think that's a big if since it hasn't even been seen in the wild at all), that's basically going to be the starting point for other manufacturers to start working on an update. I don't think the 4100 watches are getting it before August.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah don't Google products oopsie doodles "leak" months before reveal to start drumming up hype?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah don't Google products oopsie doodles "leak" months before reveal to start drumming up hype?

The internet has been saying Pixel Watch this year for what two or three years? The hype has came and went for me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's nothing interesting they can do from a hardware perspective. I just want Fitbit to take over for Google Fit

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd just like a Wear OS watch without the Mobvoi bloat of my Ticwatches. If Mobvoi's software was better it wouldn't be an issue, but it's a minor annoyance avoiding their apps and trying to parse their spam-level English translations. I should see how much of the Mobvoi suite I can uninstall and still keep the functionality I want, but :effort:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wiped out all the tic poo poo on the watch when I paired with my new phone. I just want a phone without the fitness poo poo which will never happen because they need your geo info to be able to further specialize advertisements that achieve nothing but annoyance.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

codo27 posted:

I just want a phone without the fitness poo poo which will never happen...

I agree. I don't mind the location stuff, I find the ability to look at my own history interesting. But fitness poo poo is just not worth the battery usage. I do not need it to monitor my heartrate. I do not need it nagging me about steps. I will never inform my watch that I am doing a workout. Hell, I don't even use the voice assistant. Mostly because it doesn't work, but also because gently caress speaking aloud when I don't have to.

I just want notifications, decent battery life, cool sensors I can use in my own apps, and the ability to create my own watchfaces (more than just skins). And not in JavaScript (loving Tizen).

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Android Police reports Online Google Store redesigned, now says "Watches" instead of Fitbit. Might be their own, or do what they did for chromebooks and tablets for a bit (both of which are gone now, just "laptops")

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I agree. I don't mind the location stuff, I find the ability to look at my own history interesting. But fitness poo poo is just not worth the battery usage. I do not need it to monitor my heartrate. I do not need it nagging me about steps. I will never inform my watch that I am doing a workout. Hell, I don't even use the voice assistant. Mostly because it doesn't work, but also because gently caress speaking aloud when I don't have to.

I just want notifications, decent battery life, cool sensors I can use in my own apps, and the ability to create my own watchfaces (more than just skins). And not in JavaScript (loving Tizen).

I'm glad I'm not alone in not giving a poo poo about fitness features on a smart watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then really you should be looking at some of the hybrid watches out there. They handle notifications just fine and last far longer.

If Google doesnt get a handle on fitness, then theres no hope for WearOS long term. Thats the reason people stick with the Apple smartwatch ecosystem. Hell, you can see it with Youtubers that have an Android phone as their primary device and then have an older iPhone with an apple watch so they can participate in fitness challenges with their friends and coworkers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in not giving a poo poo about fitness features on a smart watch.

I like the idea of being able to check my heartrate and blood oxygenation, but that's not a huge deal for me. I didn't want a smartwatch so it could be a fitness nag, I wanted it so I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for every random text or phone call. It's weird to me that searching for a smartwatch rather than a fitness tracker was surprisingly difficult - even the more capable watches push the fitness stuff first and foremost.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like the idea of being able to check my heartrate and blood oxygenation, but that's not a huge deal for me. I didn't want a smartwatch so it could be a fitness nag, I wanted it so I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for every random text or phone call. It's weird to me that searching for a smartwatch rather than a fitness tracker was surprisingly difficult - even the more capable watches push the fitness stuff first and foremost.

Fitness stuff is where they've been making more improvements (new sensors, new apps/tracking) and what differentiates different watches (gps on watch, what sensors it has). If you just want notifications, everything will work fine. Find one with long battery life and go for it.

It's kinda like no one advertising crystal clear call quality, smartphones are all fine there (and it's a rare and notable exception when they aren't). So if you mostly just want to make calls, just pick one, you're not going to find (a mainstream) one being hyped up as the ultimate phone call making phone.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 19, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

5TonsOfFlax posted:

:amen:
i've managed to work out without needing a heart rate monitor or any of that other poo poo. what i need is a smarttooth that can tell me how much protein i'm eating (and to eat more, probably)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

Fitness stuff is where they've been making more improvements (new sensors, new apps/tracking) and what differentiates different watches (gps on watch, what sensors it has). If you just want notifications, everything will work fine. Find one with long battery life and go for it.

It's kinda like no one advertising crystal clear call quality, smartphones are all fine there (and it's a rare and notable exception when they aren't). So if you mostly just want to make calls, just pick one, you're not going to find (a mainstream) one being hyped up as the ultimate phone call making phone.

I mean I wanted to not only be able to see notifications on my watch, but reply from there, too. I'm not sure that ability is present on as many watches as just getting notifications is. But, like I said, with the dominance of the fitness stuff I found it hard to dig down and find which watches actually had the features I wanted. I can call, text, and control VLC entirely from my watch, but in the marketing stuff I see more that I can swim with my watch and poo poo like that, little about the actual smart things it will do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, its not super weird that fitness is a focus because notifications are a solved problem. There are tons of devices out there if all you want it to do is buzz your wrist when you get a text and be able to read it there. The subset is SLIGHTLY smaller if you want to be able to do free-form responses, but its still something thats table stakes at this point.

The decision making for buying a wearable is what else it can do. One of my friends switched back to iOS because her insulin pump had native integration with the Apple Watch so she would be able to check things just by looking at her wrist in public rather than digging out the unit. Thats a massive quality of life improvement thing. Being able to do a covert glance at your watch while in a restaurant rather than reach down your shirt and pull out something thats connected to your body which she would normally wait to do in the bathroom really goes a long way to not feeling self conscious in public managing a chronic condition.

We are in a new era where we are having near 24/7 biometric data collection and things are just getting started as to what the impact that data can have on our every day lives. This is the biggest reason for wearables to push forward. People want to see that data and use that data to set personal goals or gamify exercise with peers or to notice trends.

My main thing is I dont want it to be fragmented. I have a Charge 5 because the heart-rate and sleep tracking are better than anything in the WearOS space and because its small and unobtrusive while exercising. However, if I want to have continuity of data in fitbit, I have to continue to wear that device on the opposite wrist of my WearOS watch (whether it be the ticwatch pro, or GW4, or Fossil Gen Whatever). This is silly when Google owns fitbit and that most of the passive data collected during the day (steps, movement, continuous heart-rate) are well within the capabilities of these watches. Why can I not load the fitbit app on to my watch and leave the charge 5 behind when Im not in a situation where the charge 5s strengths are apparent and still get steps, heart-rate tracking, and movement tracking all tracked in one spot? I go to the gym or go on a bike ride or sleeping, I put on the charge 5. If Im working or going out, I put on one of my WearOS watches. I then have a 24/7 picture of data with better tracking when its needed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I definitely agree that fragmentation is a problem, including down to the level of super-proprietary chargers for each device.

I'm not anti the fitness stuff, nor do I disagree with your points, but I think my desired device would get some traction, too, if it were clearly marketed as such. That device being more or less an extension of my phone, like a second screen/UI. My Ticwatches largely accomplish this, albeit in a somewhat cludgy way. I just feel like the dominance of the fitness stuff over extending the usefulness of phones is a bit limiting.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I definitely agree that fragmentation is a problem, including down to the level of super-proprietary chargers for each device.

I'm not anti the fitness stuff, nor do I disagree with your points, but I think my desired device would get some traction, too, if it were clearly marketed as such. That device being more or less an extension of my phone, like a second screen/UI. My Ticwatches largely accomplish this, albeit in a somewhat cludgy way. I just feel like the dominance of the fitness stuff over extending the usefulness of phones is a bit limiting.

I certainly agree with you and would buy this device. It sucks that Pebble went under (bought by Google iirc?) because the color Pebble looks like exactly what I would want in a smartwatch. I remember seeing some on clearance once for like $50 and I kind of regret not getting one. Of course I don't think the Pebble app is supported at all now anyway.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Then really you should be looking at some of the hybrid watches out there. They handle notifications just fine and last far longer.

If Google doesnt get a handle on fitness, then theres no hope for WearOS long term. Thats the reason people stick with the Apple smartwatch ecosystem. Hell, you can see it with Youtubers that have an Android phone as their primary device and then have an older iPhone with an apple watch so they can participate in fitness challenges with their friends and coworkers.

From personal experience I moved from Android to iOS because of the Apple Watch. I still think the Pixels are better phones but the WearOS watches are laughably inferior and it sucks. Im watching this space closely because Id love a good Pixel Watch as an opportunity to move back in a year or two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel Watch is not the thing to watch (pun intended).

This. is. not. a. hardware. problem.

There is ZERO ZERO ZERO reason to think that the Pixel Watch is going to be able to do anything the GW4 doesn't do now and any software functionality that might launch with it will be available on the GW4 in short term.

Pixel Watch as a product isn't going to solve any issues. The most it will do is maybe signal that WearOS 3.0 has left beta.

Making Fitbit the replacement to Fit and making all WearOS devices first party Fitbit members WILL go a long way to plug the gap. That's just an app along with sensor and fitness APIs though, hardware is irrelevant.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I am excited for is that there are rumors of an Ultra watch from Samsung with a battery of similar size to the Ticwatch. That would be a game changer. It won't have the dual display of the Ticwatch that also helps in battery life, but with a battery that size you could easily have it be a full weekend watch if you turned off AoD.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Honestly if my phone would stop losing connection to the watch my GW4's battery life would be amazing, but it often just fucks off and stops talking until I wake the screen, which causes the watch to go on WiFi and also start blasting out probes on Bluetooth looking for the phone, murdering the battery.

If I've been using my phone all day and thus keeping the connection alive my watch might have well over 50% battery at the end of the day, but if I've been at my desk with it sitting there and going in to deep sleep or whatever it does my watch will be complaining about low battery before the sun goes down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Weird, I haven't had any issues like that (P6P used with a GW4 Classic).

Have you set the Galaxy Watch 4 Manager app to Unrestricted for battery optimization?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 20, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yes, all my GMS stuff stops when the phone gets this way so it's not just a watch thing, the watch is just another victim. If I've been ignoring it for a while the first 30 seconds or so after I unlock it the thing drags from the number of notifications that suddenly show up.

I'm 95% sure it's OnePlus' aggressive power management that you can't entirely stop, I need to get around to finally reflashing this thing to LineageOS.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I had a OP7T for a bit and it was awful about keeping a connection to my watch, switched to a Pixel 4a and didn't have any issues (or any since then with a 5 or a 6)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That sounds incredibly annoying. Both my Motorola One 5G Ace and my Pixel 6 never had a problem staying connected to my Ticwatches. The most annoying thing I've seen with Bluetooth was after switching my Ticwatch E3 from my Motorola to my Pixel and forgetting the Ticwatch from the Motorola I would still get prompts on the Motorola that it had found the Ticwatch and did I want to connect. I kept dismissing it but just had to turn off Bluetooth on the Motorola for a while to get some peace. For whatever reason it's stopped doing it now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.androidpolice.com/leaked-pixel-watch-photos/

I'm not sold on the design and I'm pretty sure it's going to be too small for me. It's going to need some pretty standout features to usurp my Watch 4.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It looks bloated.

I myself am bloated though so I may love it in person.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To me it's just that hints have been that it's going to be a 40mm size device and something that small looks like a toy on my wrist.

They are also going to get the poo poo beat out of them with that curved design. I really hope Fitbit features aren't going to be exclusive to the pixel watch.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If it has proprietary wristbands then I'd be concerned it won't fit me or I'll tear through watchbands like mad due to my weirdly thin wrists. And I agree that curved glass design looks fragile as hell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If it has proprietary wristbands

It does without a question. There are images of them in that link.

It honestly feels very Fitbit more than watch to me. At fitbit that will crack the first time you hit it off of something.

Seriously, one close call with a door frame or one flubbed wrist clasp and that watch is probably toast.

Now, if google wows us and announces it's actual sapphire or something, I'll change my tune. But I seriously doubt it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I have wrists the size of a toddler so I'm pretty okay with a smaller device

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not like it had to be either or. The lack of a larger option just kills it for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have wrists the size of a toddler so I'm pretty okay with a smaller device

Hello fellow tiny wrister. I stopped wearing my Fossil because the face literally took up 90% of my wrist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pixel watch would probably look as dumb as the moto 360 on me

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

What's the biggest wearos watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No lugs is not a look I find attractive on my wrist.