Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

So some manner of hot wing?

That would never catch on.

Now I want to read comics AND I'm hungry. Thanks for nothing, Rhyno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Surely at some point Angel's wings must've gotten hot. That seems like the kinda thing they'd do to try to make him cool, after they gave him wings made out of knives and that didn't work

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Surely at some point Angel's wings must've gotten hot. That seems like the kinda thing they'd do to try to make him cool, after they gave him wings made out of knives and that didn't work

They did during the Ages of Apocalypse.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh haven't you heard?
https://twitter.com/GraymalkinP/status/1419443830173044737

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'd forgotten about that period where Beasts brought the x-men from the past to the present to prove some sort of point. They weren't in House of X, the most recent X-Men stuff I read, so i assume they were sent back to the past. Do the X-men now remember those events from the perspective of their teen selves and their adult selves?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah that isn’t how time travel works in the MCU

Except when it does but that’s pretty rare

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Short answer is yup. Current adult Cyclops remembers hanging out with the Champions, adult Jean remembers outing Bobby to himself and Bobby remembers her doing it :sweatdrop:, etc etc.

Warren presumably remembers boinking Laura Kinney.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah when the teen X-Men were sent back, their memories unlocked in their adult selves.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There are some very nice moments when adult Scott encounters the Champions and still feels a lot of fondness and loyalty towards them.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Edge & Christian was right

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wait, did the post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe not streamline things? I guess I assumed it ignored all time traveling teen Xmen stuff.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In practice mostly what Secret Wars did was smush together the main Marvel comics universe and the Ultimate Marvel spin-off universe in order to shuffle the most popular stuff from the Ultimate comics (by that point, this just meant Miles Morales, his supporting cast, and their version of Reed Richards) over to the main continuity and kind of kibosh the rest of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s actually kind of funny how little secret wars actually accomplished in the end

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So Angel got his wings from Mimic, but Mimic got his wings from copying Angel's powers, but Mimic doesn't appear in the comics until after Angel is sent back wearing Mimic's wings. So Mimic was just copying his own wings the entire time.

Also I don't think the point of Secret Wars ever was to clean up continuity, since it didn't do that at all beyond bringing Miles into the 616.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think part of what it did was allow them to say "oh that never happened" selectively in the future and lets them retcon without needing an explanation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angel's fire wings used to be the only thing that stuck around from Black Mirror, which tops Empyre for a story where I know things happened but couldn't tell you what.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Was empyre the evil plants or am I thinking of another giant cross over?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Azubah posted:

Was empyre the evil plants or am I thinking of another giant cross over?

It was

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now wait, there was also an evil plant in the timeless Classic, Avengers the Crossing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jay Faeber once recommended the Harras run of Avengers which features The Crossing as formative for his own style as he said it was intense, had tight storytelling and was full of interesting interpersonal dynamics. It was none of those things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Jay Faeber once recommended the Harras run of Avengers which features The Crossing as formative for his own style as he said it was intense, had tight storytelling and was full of interesting interpersonal dynamics. It was none of those things.

That certainly explains his Titans run.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wait, did the post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe not streamline things? I guess I assumed it ignored all time traveling teen Xmen stuff.

the run-up to, and beginning of, Secret Wars was very misleadingly, but seemingly deliberately, hyped (“the end of the Marvel Universe” and so forth)so as to imply that Marvel would be making drastic changes of some sort to its continuity, possibly even a total reboot. In reality, it changed basically nothing.

For people paying close attention to Marvel’s PR wording and other books they were announcing circa early 2015, it was pretty obvious that nothing resembling a reboot was ever on the table, but some fans and even a few major media outlets like THR fell for it anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

the run-up to, and beginning of, Secret Wars was very misleadingly, but seemingly deliberately, hyped (“the end of the Marvel Universe” and so forth)so as to imply that Marvel would be making drastic changes of some sort to its continuity, possibly even a total reboot. In reality, it changed basically nothing.

For people paying close attention to Marvel’s PR wording and other books they were announcing circa early 2015, it was pretty obvious that nothing resembling a reboot was ever on the table, but some fans and even a few major media outlets like THR fell for it anyway.

At one point the presented it to retailers as a "No More Multiverse" event. I think I may have posted about that back then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It literally did reboot the universe. Aside from like a dozen guys, all the characters in current Marvel comics are perfect replicas of characters who no longer exist

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barry Convex posted:

To be frank at this point I would welcome a hard reboot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A hard reboot is ultimately pointless, as when they do that stuff they tend to just go through the greatest hits so you end up in the same place

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CharlestheHammer posted:

A hard reboot is ultimately pointless, as when they do that stuff they tend to just go through the greatest hits so you end up in the same place

the other option is what DC did with the New 52, where you end up drastically changing character origins, backstories, and relationships largely for the sake of being new and different as an end in itself. in the long run, this seems to do more to alienate existing fans than it does to bring in new or lapsed ones.

In theory, maybe there's some way to thread the needle and reap the near-term sales boost from a reboot without losing current readers, but in practice, it's probably not worth the trouble, especially when there are already plenty of other options for fans of Marvel and DC characters who want stories with less continuity baggage

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

drrockso20 posted:

To be frank at this point I would welcome a hard reboot

Why?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If he wants to be Frank he can be Frank, don't question it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
two months into a hard reboot, Human Torch (the third) would open an Omni hole into 616 and all the continuity would "matter" just as much

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel couldn't even stick with legacy characters taking over for more than a year and a half, they aren't gonna reboot the whole universe

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rebooting the whole universe is dumb and gets you to where DC is where nobody knows what actually happened in continuity and what didn't so you have no idea what a character's actual history is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They should do like DC and do a hard reboot but keep everything that happened to a couple popular characters canon so the whole thing is pointless. Marvel hard reboot, except for all Spider-Man and X-men comics, those are all still canon.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Speaking of, there are spoilers going around out there for Spider-Man and the X-Men and there are some WTF things as well as a "oh that makes perfect sense" thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Codependent Poster posted:

Rebooting the whole universe is dumb and gets you to where DC is where nobody knows what actually happened in continuity and what didn't so you have no idea what a character's actual history is.

That's only because they did an incredibly half assed job of it and tried to retain parts of the previous continuity(mostly Batman and Green Lantern stuff) and then later tried to bring back more parts and that's why it's a complete mess

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i think marvel should attempt a new universe

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The perfect version or Ultimate version of the 616 if you will

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

That's only because they did an incredibly half assed job of it and tried to retain parts of the previous continuity(mostly Batman and Green Lantern stuff) and then later tried to bring back more parts and that's why it's a complete mess

Comics have too much continuity, it scares off casual and new readers. So we’re starting fresh, clean slate, every new #1 is a perfect starting place for someone who has never read a comic. Like this one, starring the Red Hood! What’s the Red Hood’s deal? Well,

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Writers should provide the context people need to understand their stories from within the story, and they should do it in a way that does not unnecessarily slow down the main action.

OR

Publishers should reset their series to a vaguely specified point in the past so most stories haven't happened, but some stories have. Exactly which can be worked out on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cloks posted:

i think marvel should attempt a new universe

A great idea.

But what would you even call such a thing?