Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Not sure why that would matter. They've been accusing him of being one almost his entire presidency.

Yeah that's for sure but it makes it harder for the narrative to stick imo. By insisting on a midterm referendum and winning it overwhelmingly he's proactively counteracting the typical cycle where leftist leaders who win democratic elections get accused of turning authoritarian and enacting policies that wouldn't be democratically popular in "free and fair" elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

doing good things is undemocratic and authoritarian

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not sure I understand amlo's failed electoral reform bid. all I can tell is that it would enable the direct election of election officials, which isn't what I think of with the phrase 'electoral reform'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

AMLOwns

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Very smart of AMLO to wait until shortly after winning his referendum before doing all this stuff so that it's harder to claim that he's being an undemocratic dictator.

I get the feeling this won't stop him from being called a dictator

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Anyways if anyone wants to see a good documentary about some of the CIA/US and the Cartels Private Network: Who Killed Manuel Buendía? is a solid documentary on netflix.

There is also Eclipse of the Assassins if you're gay and like to read.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1517827205367226369?s=20&t=3cL5d0uW7fvc7SIliRavJQ
https://twitter.com/ProgIntl/status/1517893140677599232?s=20&t=3cL5d0uW7fvc7SIliRavJQ

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

The commander Eduardo Zapateiro got angry because Petro claimed that some generals are in the pockets of the cartel Clan del Golfo, firing back with an accusation that Petro himself had received money illicitly. This military official in particular is known for being politically outspoken where he shouldn't be. For Petro's part he's built a reputation denouncing corrupt politicians, even including those within his own political affiliations.

In fact, following the letter of the law, Zapateiros's comments violate articles of the Constitution guaranteeing the impartiality of public servants and military in elections and thus should lead to his destitution. However, nothing will happen because even the president Duque has made attacks against Petro during the campaign, and Petro was his principal rival in the previous election.

E: more detailed summary of the article, had to wait for servers to come back on

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 08:53 on Apr 24, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Maripuerta/status/1518248342240874496

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1518375102794113024

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
nice

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I lol that OAS is headquartered in the U.S.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cool, MAS is expanding government sectors again:

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1517492581260795905

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The US isn't part of it though. Nothing to do with OAS. Nope nothing at all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

wow a country actually thinking ahead to what's going to happen with food production in a climate change future. loving incredible

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Dreylad posted:

wow a country actually thinking ahead to what's going to happen with food production in a climate change future. loving incredible

That's authoritarianism

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Popy posted:

doing good things is undemocratic and authoritarian

promising to improve people's lives and then following through is counter to liberal democratic principles

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

punk rebel ecks posted:

The founding member of the "Lima Group" is Canada. If you check out the wikipedia page for the LG, the "background" section is a long diatribe blaming Maduro for establishing its necessity with Canada magically being one of the declarative founders in 2017 despite being the odd man out, continentally. Mexico was also a founding member but they left under AMLO. It's all Canada's baby.

Atrocious Joe posted:

promising to improve people's lives and then following through is counter to liberal democratic principles

It doesn't count if the people didn't spontaneously improve their own lives.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SorePotato posted:

That's authoritarianism

If you think about it it involves an authority so this is true

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

it's basically bribery, the only truly democratic thing to do is promise to improve people's lives and then once elected actually give all their money to rich people

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
authoritarianism > democracy, thats just facts

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well he did win the ref so clearly, it's authoritarian democratic populism

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

vyelkin posted:

it's basically bribery, the only truly democratic thing to do is promise to improve people's lives and then once elected actually give all their money to rich people

no, you vote for your betters because they deserve it.

them giving your money to rich people is more coincidental

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

punk rebel ecks posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

trump would use the underground tunnels to get his tuesday taco bowl

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mission of el salvador hmm what is that never mind I don’t want to know

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Centrist Committee posted:

mission of el salvador hmm what is that never mind I don’t want to know

its their dedicated office at the OAS

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How's that grilled cheese bar.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How's that grilled cheese bar.

:sad:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

thinking about 15 dollar grilled cheeses and recoiling in horror

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

on their website i was able to make one for $18

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
When you're a millionaire senator even your grilled cheese sandwiches are gourmet

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/ricardovalp/status/1518258563423952896

What's going on in El Salvador?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

El Salvador had had a miraculous decrease in crime over the years.

The governments attributed this due to their new policies and police tactics. In reality they were literally just paying the gangs with taxpayer money in exchange for the gangs doing less crime.

This made both the gangs and the government butt heads as the gangs would flex by having occasional chaos weeks where they’d increase their homicides, while the government would respond by treating the gang members in prison worse.

This kept happening off and on over the years until things finally snapped around a month ago. The gangs are now literally doing 5 star GTA as they are shooting at unarmed civilians and the government is responding with heavy handed law enforcement and martial law.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

The governments attributed this due to their new policies and police tactics. In reality they were literally just paying the gangs with taxpayer money in exchange for the gangs doing less crime.

As well as the government moving imprisoned gang members to prisons of lower security so they could see their families, and other prison benefits, not only to reduce the number of homicides but also to get the gangs to push the territories they control to vote for them. All with a climate of secrecy to not appear lenient on the gangs.

The gangs see violence as a negotiation tactic, and the public at large wants to see the gangs dead because they're tired of the violence and because for decades since the civil war the country has only known violence as a solution to every problem.

E: like I said before, El Hilo and Radio Ambulante are decent sources to follow on LATAM, although it's only in Spanish:
https://elhilo.audio/podcast/homicidios-pandillas-el-salvador/
https://radioambulante.org/transcripcion/la-tregua-transcripcion

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Apr 26, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I say "decent" because they're both from NPR.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/a_salvadorean/status/1519025100015771651
https://twitter.com/a_salvadorean/status/1519025460520366080

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

/\/\ and that's what the public there thinks, for better or worse.
To go back to the topic of OAS, I think it would be better if there was a pan-American organization that singularly focused on infrastructure projects and other avenues of mutual aid among all members, and didn't ask questions about how individual countries ran their affairs.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I also think it would be good if there was an organization that did good things, instead of an organization which did bad things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Personally I think the Chicago Outfit should have focused on improving health care and public education instead of smuggling and extortion