Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

install syslogd and it'll write out text logs.
remove /var/log/journal and it won't write binary logs to the disk.

traefik and prometheus etc are massive overkill for personal stuff unless you're messing around with multi-VM clusters, but idk try using loki as the log aggregator and give it a minio instance to store stuff in, seems to work ok.
if you have more than a single virtual or physical machine in your house, prometheus isn't overkill
prometheus isn't even about logs, either - it's barely even about metrics either, and even then the main advantage of the pull model is only really great when combined with inetd.

what it does really well is let you set up monitoring and alerting for edge conditions and even things like silent failures - so for example if a letsencrypt cert is supposed to update every 45 days, you can get a notification if it's not updated after 45 days but still have at least a month to fix it with periodic reminders of it not having been fixed.

eschaton posted:

I suppose most peoples’ “multi-VM clusters” don’t involve VMS though
maybe they should, op

Lysidas posted:

having richer log entries with zero possibility of accidentally parsing part of the log message as the service is a very good thing, i am reminded of the CVEs for the ancient denyhosts package that allowed tricking it into blocking arbitrary ips by trying to connect to ssh with a username like "Accepted connection from 123.456.789.012" or something
the issue here isn't that you're regexing wrong
the issue is that it's supposed to be the sshd that tells blocklistd(8) that it's experiencing a high volume of traffic from a particular source, and it's then blocklistd's responsibility to add a firewall rule for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my issue with the journal data format is that it can't resynchronize if you bite random disk pages out of the middle of the file. this obviously isn't a problem with plain text logs. the systemd journal could easily have been designed with this capability in mind: checksum each record and then byte-stuff them to make the record boundaries explicit, but that would interfere with the goal of ~maximum performance~ or something idk.

i don't even know what the use case or target audience for the systemd journal is. i think lennart really thought that server admins would interact with this poo poo. i mean, maybe on a vps for hobbyists yeah. any competent admin for a business server is going to set up some sort of centralized log aggregator for their fleet instead. journald has some mickey mouse log shipping tools but they're a joke, or at least the collector is. the shipper might be useful in principle but i haven't heard of anybody actually using it instead of syslog-ng or logstash.

on the desktop you generally don't want to be interacting with the system logs if you can help it anyway so that's neither here nor there. but i guess it is somewhat more useful than the windows event viewer if the misfortune of needing to view your personal computing device's technical diagnostic logs befalls you.

the best statement of purpose for the journal that i can come up with is that the journal is a local log indexer for occasional interactive querying via journalctl or systemctl status, and that it should never be treated as the system of record. i suppose it has some quality-of-life value if you're regularly sshing into pets and interactively administrating them, god help you.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Hello Linux thread, I want to set up a small computer connected to my new television, for playing movies and such. I imagine running Ubuntu or Fedora on it. Is there some known-good hardware for this purpose? I need something powerful enough to decode 8k video, but otherwise as small as possible. It doesn't need much on-board storage as I'll probably mostly be streaming from cyberspace or another machine on the network.

Speaking of the latter, what's the sanest way to do file sharing on a home network? I usually use sshfs to touch remote work machines, but I'm not sure how reliable that is for machines that constantly go down and come back up. I've never set up NFS, but I always heard it was best for static installations. Do I really need SMB?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Athas posted:

Hello Linux thread, I want to set up a small computer connected to my new television, for playing movies and such. I imagine running Ubuntu or Fedora on it. Is there some known-good hardware for this purpose? I need something powerful enough to decode 8k video, but otherwise as small as possible. It doesn't need much on-board storage as I'll probably mostly be streaming from cyberspace or another machine on the network.

Speaking of the latter, what's the sanest way to do file sharing on a home network? I usually use sshfs to touch remote work machines, but I'm not sure how reliable that is for machines that constantly go down and come back up. I've never set up NFS, but I always heard it was best for static installations. Do I really need SMB?

For file sharing, Samba works with the widest variety of clients, with the most amount of online support (because everyone uses it). Apple even did away with their appleshare protocol and picked up Samba. However, for standalone devices such as game consoles or TVs, you should also consider something that can run uPnP DLNA.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you'll need either an nvidia GPU or a TV that has DisplayPort inputs because HDMI 2.1 forbids open source implementations

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You can't decode 8k video in software.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Where the gently caress are you even getting 8k video?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

There's test-footage floating around, if you know where to look - but good luck playing it back on anything less than a custom FPGA block.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If your new TV supports DLNA, then try to see if you can play media directly from it from like your desktop or whatever. This would be a good end-around the issue of getting the external device to decode the media itself and you may be able to get by with a raspberry pi or similar low power device.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pseudorandom name posted:

you'll need either an nvidia GPU or a TV that has DisplayPort inputs because HDMI 2.1 forbids open source implementations

Well, gently caress an HDMI 2.1, then.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

mystes posted:

I don't, but the TV supports it, so I figured I might as well be prepared. I guess it doesn't really matter for now.

sb hermit posted:

If your new TV supports DLNA, then try to see if you can play media directly from it from like your desktop or whatever. This would be a good end-around the issue of getting the external device to decode the media itself and you may be able to get by with a raspberry pi or similar low power device.

I really don't want to connect the TV itself to any network or use any of its smart features. I have absolutely no confidence in Samsungs ability to keep that thing off a botnet.

How about Intel NUCs? It seems a pretty convenient form factor to me, and Intel GPU/NIC/whatever is usually well supported.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Athas posted:

I don't, but the TV supports it, so I figured I might as well be prepared. I guess it doesn't really matter for now.

I really don't want to connect the TV itself to any network or use any of its smart features. I have absolutely no confidence in Samsungs ability to keep that thing off a botnet.

Fair enough. You can also just connect a raspberry pi 4's ethernet directly to the tv's ethernet and talk to the rpi over a usb ethernet or wifi. I'm pretty sure crossover will just work unlesss for whatever reason one of the two sides doesn't support gigabit ethernet.

If you still want an external device to decode, you need to be 100% sure that 8k hardware decoding can happen on the NUC (as mentioned by bsd) and under what conditions it can be done. Meaning that if the hardware decoding can only happen under windows, then you have to shell out another $100 or so to bill gates. And you should probably make sure it supports windows 11 because 10 is EOL in ... what, 2024?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unless you're pixel-peeking with a loving telephoto lens you can't even see the benefit of 8k at a 10-foot range - which is what things like Kodi and TV interfaces are designed for, it's called the ten-foot user-interface.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Oops. It was Oct 2025.

Guess I better get on getting my parents onto new.computers that support 11. I think my dad has had his computer for almost 10 years and the only update he's got was an SSD drive.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
In conclusion I'll not care about 8k, set up SMB shares on my home network, and get a NUC or similar. Thanks Linux thread! :tipshat:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NFSv4 works fine and is generally faster than CIFS/SMB, but the server has to stay up, otherwise the clients' mounts will hang (optionally until they time out).

CIFS/SMB works better for situations where both servers and clients are transient or for client-to-client shares.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

my issue with the journal data format is that it can't resynchronize if you bite random disk pages out of the middle of the file. this obviously isn't a problem with plain text logs. the systemd journal could easily have been designed with this capability in mind: checksum each record and then byte-stuff them to make the record boundaries explicit, but that would interfere with the goal of ~maximum performance~ or something idk.

never mind that this is exactly how minicomputer and mainframe systems have worked forever and they build record support into the OS instead of making everyone layer it on top of the filesystem themselves

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

If you still want an external device to decode, you need to be 100% sure that 8k hardware decoding can happen on the NUC (as mentioned by bsd) and under what conditions it can be done. Meaning that if the hardware decoding can only happen under windows, then you have to shell out another $100 or so to bill gates. And you should probably make sure it supports windows 11 because 10 is EOL in ... what, 2024?

what lovely hardware does this apply to? intel, amd, nvidia and a bunch of arm socs all have working hardware decode under linux

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Athas posted:

In conclusion I'll not care about 8k, set up SMB shares on my home network, and get a NUC or similar. Thanks Linux thread! :tipshat:
A NUC isn't the best choice because the fan will duty-cycle.

Instead, get a Asus PN41 - it's often cheaper, completely fanless, and contains an iGPU that can offload anything from h262 (mpeg2), over h264 to vc1 and h265 at 4k/60fps (although it doesn't do HDR).

I'm using mine with FreeBSD.

KozmoNaut posted:

NFSv4 works fine and is generally faster than CIFS/SMB, but the server has to stay up, otherwise the clients' mounts will hang (optionally until they time out).

CIFS/SMB works better for situations where both servers and clients are transient or for client-to-client shares.
Nah, you just make the mount soft and interruptible, then set the retrycnt and use autofs(5) plus a map to enable it to automount again if it loses connectivity.

Small note here is that NFSv4 ACLs are (designed to be) compatible with SMB ACLs (and are also what's implemented by Samba) - it's just too bad that Linux support doesn't exist (to the point that OpenZFS has to roll their own).
I have a pet hypothesis that Linux developers got huffy over Microsoft getting involved in NFSv4 and then took their toys and left the sandpit, which means that Linux is now the only OS that can't server NFSv4.1, which everything else including Windows Server can.

The_Franz posted:

what lovely hardware does this apply to? intel, amd, nvidia and a bunch of arm socs all have working hardware decode under linux
Hardware decode works fine, OP.
The problem is doing 8k in hardware, which no iGPU can do, and only a few custom FPGAs can - and the FPGAs are neither opensource, nor are the cores for them.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 24, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Hardware decode works fine, OP.
The problem is doing 8k in hardware, which no iGPU can do, and only a few custom FPGAs can - and the FPGAs are neither opensource, nor are the cores for them.

igpus, no. if by "few custom fpgas" you mean the latest-gen, higher-end amd and nvidia discrete gpus, then that would be correct

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The_Franz posted:

igpus, no. if by "few custom fpgas" you mean the latest-gen, higher-end amd and nvidia discrete gpus, then that would be correct
At what framerate, though? This seems to suggest it's limited to 30 fps which isn't broadcast and is barely enough for movies, while official release notes for the drivers don't even bother mentioning framerates.

The FPGAs used for broadcast are found in satelite receivers using the 21GHz band in Japan. For any terrestrial digital signal, it takes up 33 MHz, which is almost an entire mux on DVB-T/C.
I'm not sure anybody who hasn't signed several NDAs knows anything about the actual implementation that AMD or nvidia are using.

Also, what's the actual point of mentioning this? Nobody's going to buy a GPU that takes up two or three daughterboard slots to put in a HTPC.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, what's the actual point of mentioning this? Nobody's going to buy a GPU that takes up two or three daughterboard slots to put in a HTPC.
I'm not sure they're going to put an FPGA in it either

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I'm not sure they're going to put an FPGA in it either
If it can fit in a satellite receiver set top box, it's at least sort of doable.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i see nfsv4 changes all the time on the mailing lists, are you sure that those issues you mentioned still are a thing? havent checked but it would surprise me if stuff werent working. lots of nfs4.2 stuff happening in linux now, whatever that is

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't even know what the use case or target audience for the systemd journal is. i think lennart really thought that server admins would interact with this poo poo. i mean, maybe on a vps for hobbyists yeah. any competent admin for a business server is going to set up some sort of centralized log aggregator for their fleet instead. journald has some mickey mouse log shipping tools but they're a joke, or at least the collector is. the shipper might be useful in principle but i haven't heard of anybody actually using it instead of syslog-ng or logstash.

on the desktop you generally don't want to be interacting with the system logs if you can help it anyway so that's neither here nor there. but i guess it is somewhat more useful than the windows event viewer if the misfortune of needing to view your personal computing device's technical diagnostic logs befalls you.

the best statement of purpose for the journal that i can come up with is that the journal is a local log indexer for occasional interactive querying via journalctl or systemctl status, and that it should never be treated as the system of record. i suppose it has some quality-of-life value if you're regularly sshing into pets and interactively administrating them, god help you.

old man yells at logs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

At what framerate, though? This seems to suggest it's limited to 30 fps which isn't broadcast and is barely enough for movies, while official release notes for the drivers don't even bother mentioning framerates.

The FPGAs used for broadcast are found in satelite receivers using the 21GHz band in Japan. For any terrestrial digital signal, it takes up 33 MHz, which is almost an entire mux on DVB-T/C.
I'm not sure anybody who hasn't signed several NDAs knows anything about the actual implementation that AMD or nvidia are using.

"what's the point of mentioning this?" says guy who rants about cramming some obscure fpgas with no use outside of broadcast lab conditions in a consumer htpc

and lots of people put good video cards in htpcs. it makes a lot of sense if the overwhelming majority of your games are on steam

e: and by the time 8k is anything but a tech demo novelty (if that ever happens, even 4k video is overkill for most screen sizes not found in commercial theaters), decode support will be ubiquitous in commodity hardware

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 24, 2022

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gonna need 8k to see those subtitles super clearly

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

i see nfsv4 changes all the time on the mailing lists, are you sure that those issues you mentioned still are a thing? havent checked but it would surprise me if stuff werent working. lots of nfs4.2 stuff happening in linux now, whatever that is
Sure, there's NFSv4 changes all the time (personally, I'm looking forward to NFS over TLS, which FreeBSD was the first to implement), and there's quite a bit of compatibility work being done with FreeBSD too (especially by Rick Macklem, who's been working on NFS for BSD since the late 80s/early 90s), but iX ended up doing their own thing less than a year ago, and while this is a little more than two years old, RichACLs are still stalled, and while the tooling may be done, I haven't seen much in the way of NFSv4 ACL work for the VFS bits et cetera ad nauseum.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 24, 2022

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the RX 6000 series HEVC decoder supports a maximum resolution of 8192x4352 and HEVC level 6.2, which means it should be able to do 7680x4320 at 128 Hz

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The_Franz posted:

e: and by the time 8k is anything but a tech demo novelty (if that ever happens, even 4k video is overkill for most screen sizes not found in commercial theaters), decode support will be ubiquitous in commodity hardware

I take it you don't have a 4k monitor setup (or Apple "retina", whatever)

4k looks really good compared to 1080p even on a standard monitor

e: to be fair getting 4k blu-ray playback on PC is pretty annoying and needs specific DRM-exploitable drives, while streamed 4k is heavily compressed

even upscaled 4k is noticeably different from standard 4k, almost looks like halfway in-between in terms of the resolution

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 25, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Private Speech posted:

e: to be fair getting 4k blu-ray playback on PC is pretty annoying and needs specific DRM-exploitable drives and streamed 4k is heavily compressed

even upscaled 4k is noticeably different from standard 4k, almost looks like halfway in-between in terms of the resolution

all of my displays, from monitors to my tv, are 4k. high-dpi makes a huge difference when it comes to text rendering. video playback when you aren't sitting at desk distance, not so much.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

The_Franz posted:

all of my displays, from monitors to my tv, are 4k. high-dpi makes a huge difference when it comes to text rendering. video playback when you aren't sitting at desk distance, not so much.

fair enough; I never tried big-screen 4k, but it really does look amazing at short distances, particularly from blu-ray

e: actually that's a lie, I did try it a few times in a hotel, but I don't recall much of it and I was sitting fairly close (say 6 feet?)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Private Speech posted:

e: to be fair getting 4k blu-ray playback on PC is pretty annoying and needs specific DRM-exploitable drives, while streamed 4k is heavily compressed

We weren't talking about computer monitor that you sit close to, though - we were talking about TVs ahd HTPCs.
If you can see the difference on a 4K TV from 10 foot away, you're probably still fairly young (or you can't actually tell the difference, and have just never been subjected to a proper ABX test).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i tried a 4k desktop monitor and i returned it. text looks lovely at noninteger factors of 96dpi. looks great on my 4k laptop though.

i'll buy a 5k or whatever screen whenever the panels start being mass produced and manufacturers start building monitors around them. we will never be free of the curse of 96dpi so 192dpi is necessary for hidpi desktop displays.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sapozhnik posted:

i tried a 4k desktop monitor and i returned it. text looks lovely at noninteger factors of 96dpi. looks great on my 4k laptop though.

i'll buy a 5k or whatever screen whenever the panels start being mass produced and manufacturers start building monitors around them. we will never be free of the curse of 96dpi so 192dpi is necessary for hidpi desktop displays.

my monitors are the same as my previous 1080p one in that neither are 96dpi, it looks alright

YMMV

my 13 inch surface book 2 with 3000-by-2000 does look much better, but that's more like 8k density given the screen size

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
is there a point to having a separate htpc when plex exists and you can run plex server on your main PC?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

is there a point to having a separate htpc when plex exists and you can run plex server on your main PC?
there's a couple of things here, least of all being that plex requires a subscription for transcoding, which i'm simply not willing to pay for since it's not something they're hosting - ie. it's me who has to spend time finding the gear that supports offloading what i wanna play back, but they get to charge me for the privilege of accessing it? gently caress that.

i'm also enough of a nerd that i tried building a server that could, via virtualization, also be a workstation, a gaming machine, a htpc, and a few other things
there's still too many edge-cases where things work sub-optimally (such as if the windows machine with the dedicated GPU gets restarted for updates, the entire virtualization host needs to be restarted for the gpu to work again) or not at all (for things that need virtualized tpm like drm for online services)

if the htpc had an intel nic, it'd be completely diskless as i'd be uefi http booting it to nfs, since the database kodi uses is already on my server and it's fairly trivial to setup netdumpd(8) and netdump(4) on freebsd
it also tops out at 11W while compiling things, and "idles" (plays video) at around 8W, which is a tenth of what the desktop uses for the same workload (and electricity pricing in denmark is hella expensive compared to the us)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

there isnt. can use an apple tv or whatever as the client, works great

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my homie dhall posted:

Noise and space. If your main PC makes a lot of fan / HDD noise or it sticks out like a sore thumb in the living room, having a dedicated HTPC can make sense. Although you could leave your PC in another room and use wireless casting + remote control I guess?

I don't think electricity costs is a serious reason to get a HTPC because even a cheap NUC+storage is going to cost you as much as a few years of your main PC running 24/7. And for media consumption it doesn't even need to run 24/7 (unless you also use it as a seedbox but nobody would be so wicked as to do that, right? :twisted:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my homie dhall posted:

this but hosting a upnp server and using an android streaming client like vlc