Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I kind of like the Gaya painted glass thing. It reminds me of a psychedelic Pink Floyd painted glass thing I won at a carnival when I was 10. It’s too bad they don’t have a night when Haylix performs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also how much is that loving droid? I figured it had to be life-size or something, but it looks like a cheap rc toy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s exactly what it is.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1517332620220141568

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1517903729504137216

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1517924936295149570

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1518134415523602432

ahaha it figures the only thing pulled off reasonably well in the LARP hotel is the merchandising theming.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Also how much is that loving droid? I figured it had to be life-size or something, but it looks like a cheap rc toy.

I haven't been to a Disney park in a couple decades, but iirc from the initial hype, the little RC droids are like $100. That one's probably at least that, maybe with a bit of a premium on top for being ~cruise ship exclusive~. There's an official-but-not-very-advertised way to buy a life-sized astromech droid at Galaxy's Edge but it's like $25,000.00. They apparently will give you the color scheme you want and make it look shiny or like it's got battle damage and such, too.

Here's a guy talking about one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKHrR1dNEWU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I owned this CD as a teen (it was the only rap album my parents allowed me to buy for a long time) and I gotta say most of the context behind it completely flew over my head. Like I obviously knew about the Eminem stuff but I guarantee that I didn’t know who Larry Elder was or really got what Ms. Holy Roller was about. I also didn’t really get who he was trying to sound like in the songs because I didn’t have much rap exposure outside of what the radio would play.

I hadn’t thought of it in a long-rear end time though, so the discussion is very nostalgic. Definitely not a good record though

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I honestly had no idea Will Smith released any new albums after Willennium. Thought it was all movie songs after that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Typical Willennial

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Adam's years-in-the-making yelling at Jon Favreau is finally here (part 1 at least, lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNL1q-yU7E

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Archer666 posted:

I honestly had no idea Will Smith released any new albums after Willennium. Thought it was all movie songs after that.

He did make that Switch song in 05.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Adam's years-in-the-making yelling at Jon Favreau is finally here (part 1 at least, lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNL1q-yU7E

Hopefully this means we'll get more that one quick review per month for a while.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey speaking of The Lion King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HGgICqZ3c

Have this nightmare version where the 1994 and 2019 version got spliced together in a lab accident.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh hey speaking of The Lion King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1HGgICqZ3c

Have this nightmare version where the 1994 and 2019 version got spliced together in a lab accident.

I'm assuming that all the tech existed already to make some bespoke furry 3D custom videos and is just getting used to spice up Lion King 2019 as advertisement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm picking my way through the YMS video and I hate every single human shown working on the 2019 film and it's advertisement. Like, it's sickening to watch and makes me die inside.

On the other hand, it's reminded me just how good the original film is, so mission accomplished I don't have to give Disney more cash and I can watch the superior version at home.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arc Hammer posted:

On the other hand, it's reminded me just how good the original film is, so mission accomplished I don't have to give Disney more cash and I can watch the superior version at home.

It's bizarre how based on the interview clips in Adam's video that was...the entire point? They were explicitly trying to remind you how good the original was and have that solely be why you "like" the newer one. Like, no, that just makes me want to not watch the new one if it's what I've already seen multiple times but worse.

At least the lovely "let's fix non-existent plot holes people cry about!" gives the other remakes a reason to exist. Not a good one, but one.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
As a classic Zimmer fan, the parts about the soundtrack hurt me the most.
Seeing how disconnected it all is from whats happening on screen in the remake while also having to listen to Hans say his probably scripted PR talk... it makes me sad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

I'm assuming that all the tech existed already to make some bespoke furry 3D custom videos and is just getting used to spice up Lion King 2019 as advertisement.

Disney was really, really desperate to make people treat The Lion King remake as "legitimate" and thought that the combination of The Lion King being their most acclaimed and beloved movie and pretending it was live action enough would finally break the animation glass ceiling for awards nominations. Both unfortunately and fortunately, the Academy has persistently proven the huge majority of their membership don't care about or respect animation at all and this whole stunt did not change that.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 25, 2022

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The fake live-action Lion King remake would’ve been a lot more fun it was done up like a nature documentary with David Attenborough narrating the whole thing while keeping a straight face.

This is the only possible justification for a “realistic remake” of the Lion King that I can think and they were never gonna do that. Let’s be real, I would be very bored of the gimmick 20 minutes in.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

i am tim! posted:

The fake live-action Lion King remake would’ve been a lot more fun it was done up like a nature documentary with David Attenborough narrating the whole thing while keeping a straight face.

This is the only possible justification for a “realistic remake” of the Lion King that I can think and they were never gonna do that. Let’s be real, I would be very bored of the gimmick 20 minutes in.
The Ballad of Big Al was pretty good and managed to maintain itself for 30 minutes on Avery Brook's narration. Though Disney would never spend the big bucks to recreate a Walking with Dinosaurs episode but with lions.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Ballad of Big Al was pretty good and managed to maintain itself for 30 minutes on Avery Brook's narration. Though Disney would never spend the big bucks to recreate a Walking with Dinosaurs episode but with lions.

I mean that's simply cheating because Avery Brooks could keep your attention by reading the phone book.

sucks about the fact that he's been blackballed so I'll never get the chance

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

egg tats posted:

I mean that's simply cheating because Avery Brooks could keep your attention by reading the phone book.

sucks about the fact that he's been blackballed so I'll never get the chance

Let me guess why. "Angry Black man."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Erm, you say that, but if Disney didn't have the cash, Apple certainly does. Jon Favreau, the CGI team from Lion King 2019, David Attenborough and BBC nature cameramen have made this and I am loving hyped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoNeMlNeD0

All that talk about Favreau wanting Lion King to be documentary style, so now he shelled out to just make Walking with Dinosaurs 2.

Also, much as I love Avery Brooks, Kenneth Branagh was the superior narrator for Walking with Dinosaurs 1.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 25, 2022

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

as far as I've been able to tell, the only person who's talked about it publicly is Cirroc Lofton (Jake from DS9) and he didn't give a reason

but yeah he probably called someone racist for the harmless act of expressing racist thoughts

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Erm, you say that, but if Disney didn't have the cash, Apple certainly does. Jon Favreau, thr CGI team from Lion King 2019, David Attenborough and BBC nature cameramen have made this and I am loving hyped:

All that talk about Favreau wanting Lion King to be documentary style, so now he shelled out to just make Walking with Dinosaurs 2.
Hadnt realized it was the same people. That's real cool and Prehistoric Planet looks great. It also fully justifies any number of bad Lion King movies.

Arc Hammer posted:

Also, much as I love Avery Brooks, Kenneth Branagh was the superior narrator for Walling with Dinosaurs 1.
Kenneth Branagh isn't in my nostalgic memories of watching dinosaurs on vhs and is therefore not superior.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 25, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kenneth Branagh isn't in my nostalgic memories of watching dinosaurs on vhs and is therefore not superior.

Well he is in MY nostalgic memories on VHS and therefore is superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yv7Pi78Og

Maybe someone finally went up to Jon Favreau and said "if you want this to look like a documentary, hire documentary cameramen." Even though WWD is over 20 years old and the CGI is dated now, it still looks and feels so alive thanks to the way it is shot and the fact that all the locations are real places with the Dinosaurs composited into the shots afterwards.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why didn't anyone stop Jon

Why didn't anyone STOP this man

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Grondoth posted:

Why didn't anyone stop Jon

Why didn't anyone STOP this man

Simple answer, because he directed Iron Man. Jon's a decent director when it comes to directing human beings. Human beings are real, you can talk to them, see their expressions, etc. and respond appropriately. Jon just did NOT understand how to direct an animated movie, hence his desire to make everything as "real" as possible. Directing a live action movie is a completely different animal from directing an animated film, so to speak.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

During DS9 he was usually extremely vocal about black representation. I'm not sure who wrote it, but the whole 1950s Vegas holodeck fun everyone was having his character refused to take part in it and quite clearly spelled out it was a time when black people were treated as second class citizens, and role-playing that culture experience wasn't a good thing. It felt much more like the actor's own words then the character.

I checked thinking that post Star Trek he devoted a ton of time to academic work and black culture projects. It says he had done some but nothing that makes it seem like he choose to step away from acting to focus on it instead.

I would absolutely believe that he walked away from a ton of acting opportunities because he found something objectionable about them in terms of black representation to the point where it became well known and he was seen as 'problematic' hire

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

TITS' Trainwreckords on Will Smith is now up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNm0HDCRdnc

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

volts5000 posted:

Simple answer, because he directed Iron Man. Jon's a decent director when it comes to directing human beings. Human beings are real, you can talk to them, see their expressions, etc. and respond appropriately. Jon just did NOT understand how to direct an animated movie, hence his desire to make everything as "real" as possible. Directing a live action movie is a completely different animal from directing an animated film, so to speak.

He directed the live action remake of The Jungle Book, too, but then again that had a human child to bounce things off of and the CGI animals in that were allowed to be a lot more expressive. Anyway, it was definitely the most warmly-received of the live action remakes and had lots of talking animals already, so I guess handing The Lion King to him made sense in Evil Corporate Disney logic.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The bizarre lads finally got to Jojo part 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGXOdcbdOk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They cut the best song in the Lion King remake??? What the gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

egg tats posted:

as far as I've been able to tell, the only person who's talked about it publicly is Cirroc Lofton (Jake from DS9) and he didn't give a reason

but yeah he probably called someone racist for the harmless act of expressing racist thoughts

I know Brooks trashed the ending of DS9 super hard after it was all wrapped up and accused the writers and producers of playing into the "disappeared deadbeat black father" trope with how they handled Sisko's final fate at the end of the show: being ripped away from his wife with a new baby on the way against his will for possibly all eternity, we don't know, leaving a young black child cursed to grow up without a father. So that might have been the thing that did him in. People like Rick Berman and Les Moonves are vindictive, racist (and sexist) motherfuckers, and with their connections in the industry, they could have easily killed Brooks' career like that. Hell, Berman loving hated DS9 in general.

Like, blacklist or not, everything I've seen and heard over the years tells me that Avery Brooks wouldn't come back to do anything Star Trek related even if you paid him basically all the money on five separate Earths.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 25, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to the goon who worked behind the scenes on various Trek shows Brooks was pretty unhappy with the series as a whole but felt like he could do more as a role model (especially to Cirroc Lofton) if he stayed.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I also heard some controversies about the relationship between Garak and Bashir on DS9, But this Brooks stuff is new to me.
(Though I did dislike that aspect of the finale regardless)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

According to the goon who worked behind the scenes on various Trek shows Brooks was pretty unhappy with the series as a whole but felt like he could do more as a role model (especially to Cirroc Lofton) if he stayed.

Kate Mulgrew felt much the same way about Voyager at the time, saying she wasn't going to let a bunch of lovely men behind the scenes drive the first woman captain on Star Trek off her own show because Janeway meant too much to her as a role model too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

They cut the best song in the Lion King remake??? What the gently caress.
I refuse to believe it was because of the Nazi associations when they'd just finished a trilogy of movies for children filled with ersatz nazis.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DeafNote posted:

I also heard some controversies about the relationship between Garak and Bashir on DS9, But this Brooks stuff is new to me.
(Though I did dislike that aspect of the finale regardless)

From what's come out it seemed like Berman was just a horrible dude in lots of ways. I know the Greatest Generation podcast brought up how he treated Terry Farrell (Dax). Like, she asked to not constantly be in full cleavage costumes and he responded that she'd wear what he wanted and do what he wanted and that he'd just write in more scenes with skimpy clothes if she complained.

Or this

https://twitter.com/TheDeniseCrosby/status/1092268606711197698

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, blacklist or not, everything I've seen and heard over the years tells me that Avery Brooks wouldn't come back to do anything Star Trek related even if you paid him basically all the money on five separate Earths.
The Star Trek thread has mentioned a few times he's been approached to come back to the role but asked for Cirroc Lofton to return as part of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering how dour and miserable Picard is I'd rather Lofton and Brooks just do their own thing rather than comeback to edgy grimdark trek. I would accept seeing both of them on Lower Decks, though.