Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Morningwoodpecker, I don't even know what you're complaining about. If you're ride-or-die on a second referendum, then that was Labour policy in the 2019 election. You got what you wanted. What did you want Corbyn to do regarding Brexit that he didn't do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stop it, obviously

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Failed Imagineer posted:

JFC if this is policy (I have no reason to doubt so). Britain is at the cutting-edge of innovation in the racism space

A hostile environment for migrants has been policy since 2012. The people who hate all immigrants also hate refugee's.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Thanks for the links, I feel slightly ill.

Just straight-up fascist xenophobes who simultaneously also want to be applauded for their welcoming inclusive internationalist benevolence. Moral cowards of the worst kind.

Yes, I know I could just say "Tories".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Morningwoodpecker posted:

A hostile environment for migrants has been policy since 2012. The people who hate all immigrants also hate refugee's.

You don't say?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Borrovan posted:

Reminder that Ireland rejected the Lisbon Treaty (largely to to ignorant fears that the Eurocrats would impose gay marriage & abortion), so they had to go back & do the referendum again since it didn't get the right result the first time

idk what point I'm making here, it's just a reminder

e: 152=2^3x19. I thought I was gonna get a nice elegant prime factorisation there for a moment, but eh

So from memory the Lisbon Referendum was run on the most batshit manner possible.
The Pro-side didn't know what it was about and just told people to vote for it without reading it.
Meanwhile the Anti-side discovered that if you added a question mark to any statement you could argue you weren't making an outrageous accusation but were just asking a question.
So you had signs that said "Minimum Wage €1.89 per hour after Lisbon?" "Conscription to the EU army after Lisbon?"

So Lisbon was voted down the first time around but before the second Referendum (almost 18 months later) there was much more actual debate and explanation about what was involved.

Even if it did mean that someone had to explain that voting in Lisbon did not put power in the hands of the NaziCommies.

The narrative of "The people were made vote again until they got it right" is reductive. While nothing really changed, more accurate information was put out there so the public got to make an informed choice.
And nothing in politics says that once a Referendum is held, you can vote on the issue again for 25+ years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thanks for the links, I feel slightly ill.

Just straight-up fascist xenophobes who simultaneously also want to be applauded for their welcoming inclusive internationalist benevolence. Moral cowards of the worst kind.

Yes, I know I could just say "Tories".

Yeah, it felt like a literal gut punch when I first read it

Somehow they always find new ways to surprise and disgust me

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
fubpees blaming Corbyn for Brexit, it must be 2017 all over again

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Dabir posted:

Stop it, obviously

You can't expect the opposition to oppose stuff, they have themselves to fight.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

You can't expect the opposition to oppose stuff, they have themselves to fight.

Anything to actually say or just "waaaa" extended over many more syllables.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In a slightly more light hearted note to the absolute awful, enraging shitshow of our hostile environment there's been an update to the Duke Nukem 3D Britain mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGY-NfW4n4

I very much think one of you did this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If Jeremy Corbyn had personally been out there with that lad bellowing STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP BREXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT at the top of his lungs, then maybe we'd have seen what would happen

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, it felt like a literal gut punch when I first read it

Somehow they always find new ways to surprise and disgust me
I was posting about this a couple of days ago cos we're going through it now. Mum and older daughter have their letter, and it has now been a week waiting on the 10 year old boy to be vetted that he is not a threat. Meanwhile, the railway station they were planning on using to get out the country has been blown up with a missile while they've been waiting. My wife went to a village council meeting and had a good shout at the useless fuckers and got a contact back from one of the senior councillors saying well done, about time someone told them to stop worrying about loving duck ponds and start looking at stuff like no bus service for 2+ years, and nearest language services being over 20 miles away. And the loving head of the council replies 'And what do you want us to do about it'.

Sorry... cheeseburger burger and fries please, and some nuggets...

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Fraserwtt/status/1518593668017496066

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Funny thing is he's correctly identified the reasons why the "official" Remain campaign lost. It's not like the establishment could stand up & say "we were actually lying to you the whole time, it's not the EU's fault things have been getting worse, it was us, we did it", so they just said "actually everything is fine, we won't change anything, gently caress u".

Wonder if there were any politicians campaigning honestly, acknowledging the flaws of the EU, but arguing that the problems affecting modern Britain are domestic ones caused by UK Government policy & we're better off staying in & addressing those problems

Probably that guy's fault, if so
I remember before the referendum, probably about a year before, I was buying a new mattress from one of those mattress bed warehouse places. First time I was buying a brand new fancy mattress with springs and ratings and stuff, the guy starts going on about zero percent credit plans six months etc etc

I say "how much for cash today, right now?" he says "same price, can't do anything else" I say "really, you'll save on your card fees and paperwork" and he starts going on about how there's an EU regulation that says they can't.

Mate, you're a mattress warehouse. If he'd said "I'm bad at negotiating and poo poo scared the boss will bollock me" then fair enough, if he'd said "sorry the taxman don't like that but I can throw in a set of these foam pillows" or whatever then at least that shows willing, but don't take me for a mug about suited Brussels bureaucrats scrutinizing your summer mattress bonanza.

It's amazing how deep "if you can't be arsed to do something, blame the EU" percolated.

decades of people doing exactly that dishonestly and never once getting factchecked on it.
They were being factchecked all the time, but the factcheckers were written off as biased metropolitan elitist remoaners, because at a crucial level they failed to realize that they were not dealing with a facts issue, they were dealing with a lack of social trust issue.

The only way to unpick this is to try to rebuild that trust and at the same time implement some kind of reform on the media to stop them from benefiting from eroding it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The literal Jokerisation of society.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The "blame the EU" point is made, however the real reason there was no negotiation is that the business is set up to skim from the credit agreement by sticking to the advertised price and getting you to pay over time. From your POV it's "0% interest" (i.e. to pay £300, you make 10 payments of £30) but for them their vig is the difference in what you would have bought an item for, for cash (say £250, or much less), and the final agreement.

You couldn't get a same-day deal for cash because a deal for cash == literally no[t enough] profit; for them, it's a waste of an asset they could have sold to some other mug customer. The salesman is there to ablate away the cash buyers.

But yeah, people will say anything. Bad weather? EU. Stubbed toe? Probably barmy Brussels, at it again.

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 25, 2022

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

They were being factchecked all the time, but the factcheckers were written off as biased metropolitan elitist remoaners, because at a crucial level they failed to realize that they were not dealing with a facts issue, they were dealing with a lack of social trust issue.

The factchecking was a token effort at best, it should have been headline news immediately after every speech or debate or even stop the debate or interview until it's done. Then been kept up until a clarification or retraction was issued. The problem there being that like Trump the bullshit flowed so freely there just isn't time in the day to cover it all. Gish galloping.

Guavanaut posted:

The only way to unpick this is to try to rebuild that trust and at the same time implement some kind of reform on the media to stop them from benefiting from eroding it.

There's no easy money in media reform. Trusts falling, the current Tories don't even try to hide how criminal they are they just shrug and blame whoever brought the karaoke machine. Media reform to the powers that be means forcing the media to present things like creationism or climate change denial on a equal basis with science and calling it a lack of bias.

It's more likely to get worse than better.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean the mattress guy was right? EU pricing regulation prevents businesses from charging extra to use cards, so they can’t offer discounts to cash buyers either.

It’s a good law that he shouldn’t be mad about, but it is real.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It stops people sticking a "credit cards: 5%, debit: 3% + 50p" sign in the window like a lot of places used to do, and that's good. By extension it stops you putting up a sign saying "5% off for all cash buyers!" because that's just the same thing worded differently, but it's never banned the sort of haggling to get a quick sale that goes on at a lot of those kind of stores, so I think this was 100% about getting people onto the credit plan as mentioned above.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The factchecking was a token effort at best, it should have been headline news immediately after every speech or debate or even stop the debate or interview until it's done. Then been kept up until a clarification or retraction was issued. The problem there being that like Trump the bullshit flowed so freely there just isn't time in the day to cover it all. Gish galloping.
lmao the brexit lies were so consistently fact-checked and called out that it was labelled ☠️Project Fear💀 and Gove said everyone had “had enough of experts”.

I think we can agree it should have been headline news but Labour don’t control the media and can’t force them to print truths (or prevent them from printing lies)

E: as Wynn Alan Bruce has shown, if the press doesn’t want to print something there is literally no amount of protest or screaming that will get them to cover it. You’re mad at the version of reality the media has given you, not what actually happened.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 25, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Twitter have accepted Elon Musks offer, so I guess it's back to full time posting on this decrepit comedy forum.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Maybe if he finds out people here don't stan him like they do on reddit, he'll buy SA too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There's no easy money in media reform. Trusts falling, the current Tories don't even try to hide how criminal they are they just shrug and blame whoever brought the karaoke machine. Media reform to the powers that be means forcing the media to present things like creationism or climate change denial on a equal basis with science and calling it a lack of bias.

Again, fact-checking only works if you have established yourself as a reliable and trustworthy dispenser of facts. Without that, more aggressive fact-checking doesn't make you more convincing, just noisier. Any movement stupid enough to make Alistair loving Campbell one of its major spokespeople had lost that argument from day one.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, fact-checking only works if you have established yourself as a reliable and trustworthy dispenser of facts. Without that, more aggressive fact-checking doesn't make you more convincing, just noisier. Any movement stupid enough to make Alistair loving Campbell one of its major spokespeople had lost that argument from day one.

Fact checking was utterly non-existent in the places it was needed like the right wing media. That's why I think it needs to be headline news afterwards. I'd guess at most people watching the debates themselves and the subsequent fact checking being remain.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Regarding the visas for ukrainian families being hosed about with so they never come because one family member would be left behind but we get to say we've issued however many thousands of visas. Who's actually doing this? Like co-ordinating it? That seems logistically quite hard unless like every civil servant is being forced to do this/is in on it?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Regarding the visas for ukrainian families being hosed about with so they never come because one family member would be left behind but we get to say we've issued however many thousands of visas. Who's actually doing this? Like co-ordinating it? That seems logistically quite hard unless like every civil servant is being forced to do this/is in on it?

Cockup before conspiracy probably. A family rang into LBC and said they were in exactly that position until they got through to a human who fixed it for them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cockup before conspiracy probably. A family rang into LBC and said they were in exactly that position until they got through to a human who fixed it for them.

How sweetly naive.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Fact checking was utterly non-existent in the places it was needed like the right wing media. That's why I think it needs to be headline news afterwards. I'd guess at most people watching the debates themselves and the subsequent fact checking being remain.

Can't believe this didn't happen. Who owns the right wing media anyway? Must be that jimbly crombles I expect

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hey don't forget that time when CCHQ renamed their twitter account "Fact Check UK" during a televised debate and proceeded to lie their arses off.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

kyojin posted:

Who owns the right wing media anyway? Must be that jimbly crombles I expect
Ironic that, this is the most devastating hit piece they could have fabricated & yet they could never have dreamed it up

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fact checking was utterly non-existent in the places it was needed like the right wing media.
If fact checking was existent in those places they wouldn't publish anything but the cricket results.

But how does that square with

Media reform to the powers that be means forcing the media to present things like creationism or climate change denial on a equal basis with science and calling it a lack of bias.

?

If there's no will to reform media, who was going to fact check the right wing media? They're not going to do it themselves beyond the weird editorial slapfight between the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday or copying each others' articles verbatim and adding "The Sun Sez: B*llocks to Brussels" at the bottom. Clarifications on the BBC or in the Guardian are going to be written off as Project Fear remoaner lies before they're even finished talking. Corrections on social media are going to be written off as "well you can't trust the internet, time to share some bants from leave dot eu". Any actual left wing press discussing problems with the EU and what to do about it won't even get the above. Where would the fact checking come from?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just sort the applications into unlinked piles by some arbitary standard other than "process an entire family together" and you can quite reasonably say you did everything by the letter of the law while completely disregarding the spirit.

Edit - Also just unfuck the application of anyone that bothers to ring in. If you add that extra barrier there's a chance the family with a half-approved application will eat a cruise missile while they wait on hold to speak to someone.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 25, 2022

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

If fact checking was existent in those places they wouldn't publish anything but the cricket results.

But how does that square with

?

If there's no will to reform media, who was going to fact check the right wing media? They're not going to do it themselves beyond the weird editorial slapfight between the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday or copying each others' articles verbatim and adding "The Sun Sez: B*llocks to Brussels" at the bottom. Clarifications on the BBC or in the Guardian are going to be written off as Project Fear remoaner lies before they're even finished talking. Corrections on social media are going to be written off as "well you can't trust the internet, time to share some bants from leave dot eu". Any actual left wing press discussing problems with the EU and what to do about it won't even get the above. Where would the fact checking come from?

Nowhere as it doesn't happen and there's no will to start. Hence the problem.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

So musk's bought twitter. Guess I'll be spending more time here after all. Sorry I've been gone a while.

Prole fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
1. "Faaaaaaact-cheeeeeeeeeeecking"? Are we the PodJons now? No-one gives a poo poo.

2. Musk buys Twitter: the best outcome, for comedy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It won't happen but I absolutely hope there's a mass exodus and Musk is left owning an echo chamber made up entirely of Tesla fans. He'd love it and no one else would have to interact with those people.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
He'll return Trumps twitter privileges and use the extra clicks to prove he runs it better.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I'm pretty sure he's only in it for the political clout. He's absolutely giving trump back his account. And this talk of a subscription model? Nah. Can't see it happening. Time will tell but I honestly can't see much changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
he should get self drive to work, finish the cyber truck and get me a holiday home on mars before whatever the hell it is he wants to do with twitter