Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't they put the fake sea view up at Monaco on the entrance to the tunnel for some reason? Does anybody know why that was there?

They're expanding out into the sea for housing so instead of looking at the building site down at portier they have hoarding of how it used to look lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

to offset the fake miami marina, a gif of my dog who was not impressed by max' awesome performance yesterday

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Charles Leclerc posted:

They're expanding out into the sea for housing so instead of looking at the building site down at portier they have hoarding of how it used to look lol.

The Jewel In The Crown

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

net work error posted:

Originally the race was going to be in downtown Miami but the rich residents there were upset about the sound so after a few failed locations it's being put at hard rock stadium where there are no rich people around.

I totally missed this over the past year or two. I remember seeing the planned location being close to the beach across bridges iirc. I had no idea they brought it to a parking lot instead.

lmfao.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
F1 is finally getting big. The New York Times acknowledged its existence and wants to know when it's getting an American driver. Plenty of Buxton quotes, too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't they put the fake sea view up at Monaco on the entrance to the tunnel for some reason? Does anybody know why that was there?

I thought they needed a wall to stop the cars from flying into the marina so they painted the marina on the wall

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

marshalljim posted:

F1 is finally getting big. The New York Times acknowledged its existence and wants to know when it's getting an American driver. Plenty of Buxton quotes, too.

in 2 years, give or take 20 years.

One of the reasons F1 is kind of working in America is that there are no commercials. Once they sell the rights for real money and we starting getting in race commercials it will go back to normal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waroduce posted:

Why is Hamilton so rear end now at racing? I just started watching last year after binging Drive 2 Survive and he seemed to be regarded as really good if not like generationally talented. Is it literally car bad and he doesn't handle porposing well?

Also I got my dad and I tickets to the Miami GP race next week which I'm excited for just as an event or to see it but I live in Miami and grew up in FTL and like....it's in a loving parking lot. Is it normal to have these races in like random locations? I googled some other f1 tracks and it seems like half of them are really cool integrated parts of the city and others are in the middle of no where. Like red bull racing ring seems to he in the woods but its a whole campus so its pretty cool.

Miami is literally in fins stadium parking lot....they don't even drive THROUGH the stadium. I was super sad that they didn't do it like up and down biscayne or around the heat stadium and one of the reasons I never took my dad to the one in Texas was like it was just random track middle of nowhere.

I've also heard that there are like F2 races and you can go around the ring with a driver? I've never been to a race or qualification before....what is a day at qualification like? I assume we should get there like fairly early but I've not even been able to find a schedule of events or anything

E: I've just found a schedule of events. I guess we'll be there for most of it. Is the paddock club worth it?

autodromes tend to be in the middle of nowhere. there are a handful of "city center" street tracks like Pau and Macau but if you have a purpose built race circuit it's probably in the countryside somewhere

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When DRS activations are sponsored by Kraft Easy Cheese I'll probably stop watching

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

daslog posted:

in 2 years, give or take 20 years.

One of the reasons F1 is kind of working in America is that there are no commercials. Once they sell the rights for real money and we starting getting in race commercials it will go back to normal.

Best case, they sell the US rights to one of the streaming platforms with $$$ like Apple or Amazon and there are no new ads but we lose F1 TV Pro.

Worst case, ESPN plus ad breaks (or insets) and there is no cheap streaming option and we lose F1 TV Pro.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

smackfu posted:

Best case, they sell the US rights to one of the streaming platforms with $$$ like Apple or Amazon and there are no new ads but we lose F1 TV Pro.

Worst case, ESPN plus ad breaks (or insets) and there is no cheap streaming option and we lose F1 TV Pro.

F1 TV Pro is almost single handedly why my friends and I have hopped on to F1 so feverishly over the past few years. The other sports we used to watch regularly cost way too much to keep up with (requiring cable or expensive streaming options). Being able to hop in to quali or a race easily without the app itself spoiling the race is huge.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That fake boat thing is much less bad than the london boat show, which is held inside and if you think this is some narrative in my head then my friends...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

learnincurve posted:

That fake boat thing is much less bad than the london boat show, which is held inside and if you think this is some narrative in my head then my friends...

Every boat show I’ve ever heard of is inside. It’s where you go look at perspective boats to purchase so you want to be able to see the whole thing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If I had a yacht I’d put it in da water

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

boat shows are always inside, the second you stick those things in the water or expose them to the elements they're depreciating.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

get your tickets to the boat show (flexes biceps)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The South Florida boat shows have the boats in the water. :smugdog:
I've never gone to one

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

im gonna poop in the lake

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Aphex- posted:

im gonna poop in the lake

go with god my son

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At least the Vegas race will be awesome because this one will suuuuuuck.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm wondering if that race will be successful. i kind of assumed it would be because europeans love excuses to go to Miami when they visit the US but who knows

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Are there satellite pictures of the upcoming Miami dolphins parking lot race

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

lol the most insanely tacky bullshit

they know their audience

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ethanol posted:

go with god my son

vaya con dios, as the 2022 WDC Sergio "Checo" Perez might say

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

net work error posted:

I've never gone to one

I drove past it a couple of months ago and honestly the SoBe food festival with Guy Fieri looked orders of magnitude more appealing

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"Fancy" American culture is always awful.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

They don't have enough history to do proper posh

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

They don't have enough history to do proper posh

You really need your empire to have peaked over a hundred years ago to pull it off

Preferably with an open land war going on in your continent

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

net work error posted:

Miami people are not above throwing poo poo on the track. This will be something teams will need to account for.
Need a Philadelphia GP so fans can start chucking D batteries at Verstappen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Abner Assington posted:

Need a Philadelphia GP so fans can start chucking D batteries at Verstappen.

like verstappen hasn't been on the receiving end of a lot of batteries

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Need a New York GP so they can throw full beer bottles at the other drivers after Haas wins.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

"Fancy" American culture is always awful.

you didn't like the Angus burger from McDonalds?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

FAUXTON posted:

kylo_ren_more.gif

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Only got to watch the race last night because I was doing something better with my life during the day ( I went golfing and then got drunk with my friends). So I'm just catching up to the thread now.

First off, I'd like to congratulate the McLaren mechanics on finally finding and removing the last sandbag in Lando's car. Keep searching Ricciardo's tho. Still great race, time to start bringing it home 1 - 2 every GP to catch up the Ferrari and RBR.
Congratulations also to Yuki for finally realizing that his car was real, and not Ridge Racer.
Good to see that Ferrari finally remembered that they were Ferrari.

Waroduce posted:

Why is Hamilton so rear end now at racing? I just started watching last year after binging Drive 2 Survive and he seemed to be regarded as really good if not like generationally talented. Is it literally car bad and he doesn't handle porposing well?

It's because he is a fraud OP. It was all the car. Any top tier driver in his seat would also be a 7 time WDC.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

net work error posted:

I've never gone to one

South beach yacht show is in the water and people show off their boat peens but there's like a sales/show floor too that is indeed like that.

The FTL international boat show has six miles of man made floating docks that people pull up on to show off.

Lota of people* down here term Fort Lauderdale the yacht capital of the world so lmfao that we had to settle for a kiddie pool in a parking lot.

*real estate agents

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Asnorban posted:

F1 TV Pro is almost single handedly why my friends and I have hopped on to F1 so feverishly over the past few years. The other sports we used to watch regularly cost way too much to keep up with (requiring cable or expensive streaming options). Being able to hop in to quali or a race easily without the app itself spoiling the race is huge.

Oh gently caress that’s depressing. If espn ruins f1 with this bullshit, I’ll probably stop following it unless there’s some easy workaround

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FAUXTON posted:

The poor lad. #StillHeRises

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

I think the most likely outcome is that someone like ESPN airs the race with ads on cable but ad-free on ESPN+.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

your friend wicka posted:

I think the most likely outcome is that someone like ESPN airs the race with ads on cable but ad-free on ESPN+.

UFC PPVs that I pay 70 American dollars for IN ADDITION TO the 10$ ESPN monthly charge for the privilege of watching grown half naked men gift each other CTE shows full commercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Waroduce posted:

UFC PPVs that I pay 70 American dollars for IN ADDITION TO the 10$ ESPN monthly charge for the privilege of watching grown half naked men gift each other CTE shows full commercials

MLB.TV, watch every MLB game! (except for your local team's games. You still need to buy the most expensive cable package to watch your local team not make the playoffs.)