Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

so apparently both Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Nicholas were really into chopping wood. once they were rendered politically irrelevant.

how about King George? He liked chopping wood or what?

anything to get away from the wife and kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Casey Finnigan posted:

so apparently both Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Nicholas were really into chopping wood. once they were rendered politically irrelevant.

how about King George? He liked chopping wood or what?

Chopping wood owns and gives you big shoulders

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you've never split logs, you should try. It's really therapeutic, especially if you're stressed about something complicated. Just a simple, achievable, repetitive task, which is also good exercise, that accomplishes something tangible and creates a big pile of stuff that you can burn for fun and warmth

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For a while i lived in a house that was just dogshit for heating and the main source of warmth on the first floor was a wood burning furnace and i will testify that when you're stressed or angry, splitting chunks of wood is amazing catharsis and it's useful work

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Having tired muscles and sitting down in front of the fire you helped create with your chopping is an A+ incredible feeling

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
bunch of tsarists and kaiser lovers in here... if you like to chop wood so much go marry nicholas and wilhelm and chop wood with them. oh wait, you can't, they're dead

Endman
May 18, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

bunch of tsarists and kaiser lovers in here... if you like to chop wood so much go marry nicholas and wilhelm and chop wood with them. oh wait, you can't, they're dead

Way to crush my dreams you dick :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Casey Finnigan posted:

You're obviously a distressed former imperial functionary, probably Inspector of the Imperial Firewood. Before the Revolution, you had four apprentices, all of whom were lesser sons of the nobility, all of whom had fathers who were paying you vast sums just to keep their children officially employed and in the Palace. You kept your aged Father on the payroll as Tender of the Tinder, and all he had to do was sit by a big pile of kindling, smoking his pipe. You gave your failing Mother a stipend, enrolling her as Prosecutor of the Imperial Will, and all she had to do was occasionally embroider a fabric copy of the Imperial Crest, which would be laid on a trainload of cut wood, to denote that its use was reserved for the Emperor. You kept all your nieces and nephews employed either inspecting, policing, examining, or otherwise measuring the quality of the Imperial firewood, because of course only the highest quality woods could be burned in the Palace of our Emperor. But really all these jobs were complete nonsense, and the recipients of those Imperial stipends sent back at least 80% of their incomes to you. Your head butler was in the budget as a Woodsman, his salary paid by the Purse. Your valets and footmen were on the books as loggers. Your gourmet chef, kidnapped from his restaurant in Paris when he snuck out to the alley to meet a thickly-accented Eastern beauty whom be believed loved him for him, was enrolled as the head cook of the logging camp which all the records showed your 47 room mansion to be. All in all, 145 different people depended on your siphoning away of funds from the Treasury. None of their incomes came from you personally, they were all officially servants of the State, as were you. And your job was only to provide wood for the fireplaces of the Emperor. The Revolution took all that away. No wonder you hate the idea of splitting logs!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
What's the general opinion or """take""" about what happened to Lin Biao? I'm partial towards believing that he wasn't plotting a coup but his son was, because failsons are an universal constant throughout human history, but my knowledge on the whole affair barely goes beyond wiki surfing, so I'm wondering what more knowledgeable people might think.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That was one way to do it. It still loving sucked for all involved, however

Will this fit as a thread title?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Weka posted:

Will this fit as a thread title?

Yes

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Man it's weird how the guys who ran their empires into the ground liked looking at a pile of firewood and saying to themselves "this was once a mighty and thriving thing that gave life and sustenance to millions of living beings and I, with my own two hands, have turned it into naught but fuel for the all-consuming fire, devourer of worlds." Probably also why G.W boasted so much about 'clearing brush' on his ranch while he was president.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sullat posted:

Man it's weird how the guys who ran their empires into the ground liked looking at a pile of firewood and saying to themselves "this was once a mighty and thriving thing that gave life and sustenance to millions of living beings and I, with my own two hands, have turned it into naught but fuel for the all-consuming fire, devourer of worlds." Probably also why G.W boasted so much about 'clearing brush' on his ranch while he was president.

lol chop some wood, loser

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

sullat posted:

This disrespect of the Sassanids will not stand!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/felix_bohr/status/1520308330153054208

i want a giant bold type hitler dead newspaper

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

interesting but "both sides-y" article today with some stuff I didn't know about

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/04/29/jfk-nixon-bunkmates-00028388

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremiahJenne/status/1522358828175556608

i dunno seems like it was kind of polite for us to warn them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can't believe I forgot to post this here

https://www.bayoubrief.com/2021/09/26/holes-in-the-story-huey-p-long-carl-weiss-and-the-american-spectacle-of-conspiracy/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremiahJenne/status/1522358828175556608

i dunno seems like it was kind of polite for us to warn them

Here's a quote from a southern Illinois paper in late April of 1882, if you're curious about the national mood in flyover country at the time

quote:

WEEKLY ADVOCATE, Belleville, Illinois, Friday, April 21, 1882, page 8, col. 3

Chintz bugs, potato bugs and tramps have already made their appearance and are looking round for a job. If Congress succeeds in getting rid of the Chinese and Mormons, they might try their hand at one of these pests next.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A mass grave of Brits from the Napoleonic wars was found in Holland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61391848

quote:

The remains were found outside the city's old wall in November 2020 and then researched by forensic anthropologist April Pijpelink.

All but four were men and many originated in southern England.

"It's most likely these young men came to fight against the French," she said.

But they lost their lives because of poor hygiene in a field hospital, she told the BBC. "At first we thought these man died of injuries in battle, but during my research it became clear that around 85% of them suffered from one or more infections, while basically all their trauma wounds had healed."

Allegedly they died from "unsanitary conditions" which they would have been used to, being English. Seems fishy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Nah, that's not weird. They probably all caught something particularly horrible even if their trauma wounds had healed. Before modern medicine people died in droves from disease, especially soldiers kept in close confines, like in an 18th century field hospital.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Until the discovery of penicillin, disease during wars always killed more people than violence.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Disease is just repeated micro-violence.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what was the cross-over point when weaponry finally started killing more people than disease? the First World War?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
City storming/sacking. Can't die of disease if you're already dead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

what was the cross-over point when weaponry finally started killing more people than disease? the First World War?

Yes, but it depends on how you count the 1918 influenza and who you count as a soldier.

The Crimean War was especially bad for people dying from stuff other than combat, even worse than the ACW, somehow.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yes, but it depends on how you count the 1918 influenza and who you count as a soldier.

The Crimean War was especially bad for people dying from stuff other than combat, even worse than the ACW, somehow.

Yeah and that's just death and not those how had to be carried off the front due to coming down sick.

Flu knocked out more US soldiers then the Germans did in October 1918.

quote:

In October 1918, as the American Army was locked in battle with the Germans in the Meuse-Argonne offensive, 1,451 Americans died from the flu. More 3rd Infantry Division Soldiers were evacuated from the front with influenza than because of wounds suffered in combat.

German Gen. Ludendorf noted on Oct. 17 that the fighting power of the allied forces "has not been up to its previous level…the Americans are suffering severely from influenza."

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Grevling posted:

A mass grave of Brits from the Napoleonic wars was found in Holland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61391848

Allegedly they died from "unsanitary conditions" which they would have been used to, being English. Seems fishy.

the British Invasion of zeeland in the 1809 was an absolute shitshow. the landing site was (and still is) one of the wettest, dankest regions of the Netherlands. the Brits hoped they could capture Antwerp in a lightning strike, but wet weather and ineffective communication bogged them down long enough for French and Dutch reinforcements to show up. so now the Brits were stuck having conquered nothing but a strategically useless bog. also, turns out lots of men and bogs don’t really go well together so swamp diseases ran rampant through the British forces.

imho, actually a pretty darkly comedic example of the arrogance and delusions of grandeur of the British empire: a bunch of unqualified noblemen coming up with a ‘cunning plan’ to end the war that inevitably leads to disaster and failure. Churchill, and his idiotic Baltic and Gallipoli plans, avant la lettre

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Chamale posted:

Until the discovery of penicillin, disease during wars always killed more people than violence.

These men are only living in disease conditions because of the threat of violence from their own commanders

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

War and Pieces posted:

These men are only living in disease conditions because of the threat of violence from their own commanders

Those kind of conditions soldiers and mercenaries (but I repeat myself) just used to desert en-masse. Like read up on 17th and 18th century warfare. But nationalism is a hell of a drug.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I remember hearing that the Habsburg armies fighting Napoleon required officers to oversee enlisted if they had to go take a poo poo in the woods because they'd run away otherwise

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I remember hearing that the Habsburg armies fighting Napoleon required officers to oversee enlisted if they had to go take a poo poo in the woods because they'd run away otherwise
This is the reason boys don't go to the bathroom together anymore, while girls still do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

Food poisoning killed more american soldiers during the spanish-american war than combat did.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1524423228516704263

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that number seems incredibly low

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Disney Land rules?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah, that number seems like it would probably be in line with overall mortality for children in that age range for the time. No way that's true.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is the reason boys don't go to the bathroom together anymore, while girls still do.

thanks napoleon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anywhere from 500 to infinity can be a lot