Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I travel a lot and planes are so loud that the fans on this thing won’t even register to anyone. I’d be surprised if you’d be able to hear them let alone the person next to you.

The fan is a non-issue. The speakers overpower them at like 30% volume and if you are in any environment other than a dead-quiet bedroom they won't even register. No one's going to hear the fan even in a relatively quiet coffee shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

that's good to hear. I just read a review a while back that said they were loud.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

holding my new deck in front of me with the fans on, i wouldn't consider it too loud unless you wanted to use the thing, like, in bed next to a sleeping SO. even then, it'd probably be drowned out by a room fan, AC, a white noise machine, etc.

also, this thing is neat!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
3.6db x 20, not great, not terrible.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've only had mine since yesterday but everytime the fans are on it's basically a warning that whatever you're doing is probably draining the batteries faster than you want and you should probably set the FPS/Wattage down.

I'm coming to grips to this being an amazing 720p/30fps device, but really not trying to push it much past that.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

I've only had mine since yesterday but everytime the fans are on it's basically a warning that whatever you're doing is probably draining the batteries faster than you want and you should probably set the FPS/Wattage down.

I'm coming to grips to this being an amazing 720p/30fps device, but really not trying to push it much past that.

I decided to do 30fps on Paradise Killer exactly for this reason. The deck can easily handle 60fps in that game, but it's running at full-tilt. I also found out that if you set the game at 30fps and crank up the motion blur, it actually sort of mimics 60 fps smoothness. Some people may not like the effect, but I found that it makes 30fps look really good.

So if a game has motion blur settings, play around with those, they might make the 30fps mode look a lot better in motion.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

that's good to hear. I just read a review a while back that said they were loud.

50% is "it varies based on what you're playing", anything that's not drawing max power and bringing your battery life down to like 1:30 from full def. doesn't make the fan kick up to full takeoff velocity ime

the other 50% is it sounds like there were def. some decks that had abnormally loud fans, with some being "the fans themselves were imbalanced/crappy" and some potentially being "the temperature sensor was hosed up in a way where it was registering that it needed to be at full takeoff velocity 100% of the time"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Posting slowly and obtusely on the Deck through desktop mode. Touch screen is nowhere close to a smart phone and the dual touchpad typing could be quite quick, just have to practice.

My Deck's left touchpad wouldn't click when pressed but started working after a few minutes. Guess it just needed to be broken in I guess. So far this thing rules, and wouldn't you know it FedEx didn't even steal it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
100% sure I'm reading too much into this, but my ETA delivery date is today, and there hasn't been any updates since 8pm last night. It's now 10am, I'd expected it to be loaded onto a delivery vehicle by now.

FedEx please :(

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I reserved my steam deck on JULY 16 but I haven't received any emails? Anyone else also not getting an email yet?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Defenistrator posted:

I reserved my steam deck on JULY 16 but I haven't received any emails? Anyone else also not getting an email yet?

Most people here did as well. It's less of a matter of what day you pre-ordered and far more what minute of that day you pre-ordered after the pre-order went live. If you're still in the Q2 group, then chances are you still won't see an email until late Spring.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t have my deck yet but I can’t really can’t argue with this review.

https://youtu.be/tVUXzmHg90k

I’m sure I’m going to run into a lot of the same problems he did but I’ll push through it.

I definitely probably wouldn’t have mounted my SD card though lol

I'm watching through this review, and it sounds like this guy was expecting it to be more like a stronger switch, rather than just literally a computer with some handheld controls.

I'm still waiting for my deck preorder, but I'm going into this expecting it to have all the problems computer gaming has. I've always had outdated computers, so not getting everything to work right away and having to adjust things is what I'm used to. I've never really used Linux much, but as long as I can fiddle with it to do normal casual computer things, I'm fine with it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Since I just received my Deck, I've transitioned into "finding things that are madly satisfying to play on it" mode.

What are you enjoying, Deck-havers?

One day in, I'm loving:

- Death's Door
- Disco Elysium
- State of Decay
- Super Mega Baseball 3
- Void Bastards

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing Blasphemous since that's something I've been meaning to play and this is a good excuse

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Insanite posted:

Since I just received my Deck, I've transitioned into "finding things that are madly satisfying to play on it" mode.

One day in, I'm loving:

- Death's Door
- Disco Elysium
- State of Decay
- Super Mega Baseball 3
- Void Bastards

I'm afraid to say it has been like 75% vampire survivors with Spotify in the background for me, and the rest Elden Ring for now.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've not done too much yet, mostly downloading games so far. Haven't had a chance to dig in.

But I've played some Sonic Mania, Final Fantasy VI and Metal Gear Rising to get to grips with it.
Also briefly launched the Mass Effect Legendary Edition to see how well that works.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Things I've tried that work perfectly:

- Hollow Knight
- Cuphead
- Elden Ring (I'd say the screen is a bit too small for a game with such lush environments, though)
- Dark Souls 2
- Kingdom: Two Crowns
- Know by heart...
- Stardew Valley

This that have annoyances but are playable:

- Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure (needs to use trackpad as mouse)
- 80 Days (need to use trackpad as mouse but there are situations where it's hard to control the game anyway because there's no mouse wheel)

Unplayable:

Analogue: A Hate Story (need to type, it's possible to pull up the Deck keyboard but the in-game UI doesn't accomodate it so you can't see what you're typing)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also I emulated the psp version of Final Fantasy Tactics for a bit and it ran perfectly. Not very surprising but it's nice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

- 80 Days (need to use trackpad as mouse but there are situations where it's hard to control the game anyway because there's no mouse wheel)

Rebind one of the trackpads to be a scrollwheel.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Who is playing DotA on this. I need a trip report

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey my steam deck is gonna be here a day early!

Was expecting it tuesday but its gonna be here tomorrow.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Not that anyone asked but I fixed my Stardew Valley stutter by limiting FPS to 30. Switching to Linux or the proton versions didn't affect it much.
I get the sense that might be the fix for a few other stuttering issues.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Lotta NMS, lotta Spacechem, smattering of other random "small couple hour backlog games"

Oddly, Astroneer's been the only straight up "will not work" so far

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Also just tried Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice with headphones. Ran quite well. Too freaky for cozy couch play, though. :unsmith:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Samopsa posted:

I'm afraid to say it has been like 75% vampire survivors with Spotify in the background for me, and the rest Elden Ring for now.

This is me as well. Downloaded a bunch of stuff I intended to try out, ended up playing Vampire Survivors until 1 AM. Are you running Spotify from the deck? I wasn’t aware you could. Would I be able to do the same with Apple Music, better yet Audible?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

loudog999 posted:

This is me as well. Downloaded a bunch of stuff I intended to try out, ended up playing Vampire Survivors until 1 AM. Are you running Spotify from the deck? I wasn’t aware you could. Would I be able to do the same with Apple Music, better yet Audible?

Everything you install in desktop mode can be added to steam (while in desktop mode: add non steam game and point to the software you wanna use). Dunno if there are native apps for apple music/audible, but if they're not available you can always install the windows version with a compatibility layer. Just google your preferred software + linux to find guides and info.

When you relaunch back into gaming mode you can run the software you added, and the press the steam button -> library to launch a game or whatever. You can run as many pieces of software at the same time as you want in gaming mode, as long as they're added to your steam library.

E: oh and if you add a non steam game it'll have a boring grey box as icon, you can grab properly sized icons for gaming mode here: https://www.steamgriddb.com/

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 24, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Insanite posted:

One day in, I'm loving:

- Death's Door
- Disco Elysium
- State of Decay
- Super Mega Baseball 3
- Void Bastards
so far i've finished 6 games:
- Aperture Desk Job
- Biolab Wars
- Evan's Remains
- Some Distant Memory
- Time Loader
- Song of Farca

Farca was the one awkward one since it was a mouse game, but the trackpad worked ok for it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Samopsa posted:

Everything you install in desktop mode can be added to steam (while in desktop mode: add non steam game and point to the software you wanna use). Dunno if there are native apps for apple music/audible, but if they're not available you can always install the windows version with a compatibility layer. Just google your preferred software + linux to find guides and info.

When you relaunch back into gaming mode you can run the software you added, and the press the steam button -> library to launch a game or whatever. You can run as many pieces of software at the same time as you want in gaming mode, as long as they're added to your steam library.

E: oh and if you add a non steam game it'll have a boring grey box as icon, you can grab properly sized icons for gaming mode here: https://www.steamgriddb.com/

That’s perfect, thanks. I’ll give I a try tonight.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I would like to purchase my steam deck today.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can, you just have to pay 2 to 5 times the MSRP.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Turns out you can just connect your phone via Bluetooth and listen to audio through the Deck that way instead of looking for compatible apps to install. Seems like the better option for Audible at least.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Anyone else have issues with installed titles not showing up in your library? I installed state of decay, it is installed, I can play it if I search for the title, and it is listed in my storage settings screen. But it doesn't show up in my library, in either my installed list, or my "all games" list... I have to manually search for it by name.

If anyone else runs into this issue, somehow I tagged this game as "hidden"

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I forget exactly where it is, but there's a category that lists all of your hidden titles if you need to check what's on there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Anybody get a purchase email yet? This wait is agonizing

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Think they usually start going out any minute now if I remember right, and might take it a couple minutes to send yours off even then.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I just got my email and completed my order :hellyeah:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Finally got my e-mail!

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I'm considering doing a dual boot scenario just in order to play Destiny 2. Has anybody tried this, or any major pluses or minuses beyond 1) the major hassle it'll likely be to set up and 2) spending 100 of my gigs to play a single game occasionally?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Why did valve package this with the world's shortest USB charger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dpulex posted:

Why did valve package this with the world's shortest USB charger

Probably because they know 99.9% of their audience already have a dozen or more 10+ foot USB cables, but they have to throw in a USB cable for that 0.1% who would complain that they just bought an expensive device and have no way to charge it.