Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

As someone who has to shower less than they want to because more than two showers a day starts to dry the ol' skin a bit even without soaping up, serious same. Do people enjoy the snug embrace of biofilms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FiendishThingy posted:

My middle school band teacher would routinely throw sheet music stands when he got mad.

He really didn't have the right temperament to be teaching 12 year olds how to play instruments.
My middle and high school band teachers both went on screaming tirades at the whole band when someone hosed up or wasn't paying attention. He'd scream at us about having discipline and being professional. It must have been years before a light bulb went on in my head and I realized that terrorizing children isn't very disciplined or professional.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i go backpacking, and not having access to proper showers is the worst part. i'm using wipes, freezing in mountain lakes, anything to get a bit cleaner whenever i can.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DaysBefore posted:

Why are there so many unwashed motherfuckers out there? I honestly can't fathom going any significant amount of time without a shower. Even a camping trip has me feeling grody after two days.

Like I totally understand if you're homeless or in a bad living situation or whatever else. But people (mostly dudes) who just... don't bathe? Stay the gently caress away from me

what i don't get is there are all these girls willing to bang these dudes

it's like girl, do you have no fuckin' self esteem? jesus christ

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

As someone who has to shower less than they want to because more than two showers a day starts to dry the ol' skin a bit even without soaping up, serious same. Do people enjoy the snug embrace of biofilms?

Have you tried pH neutral soap free body washes? I only switched to them a few years ago and it was a revelation.

Almost all of my dry skin problems went away and I no longer have that horrible tight feeling in my skin all the time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

what i don't get is there are all these girls willing to bang these dudes

it's like girl, do you have no fuckin' self esteem? jesus christ

maybe they have cool tattoos or a motorcycle

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wa27 posted:

I have this problem with my bf…

:barf:

Either stop touching his stank-rear end dick until he showers regularly, or dump his stank rear end by telling him you're going to find a dick better at cleaning vaginas.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my husband to stop buying his dead wife the same presents he buys me?

you're really loving up a good thing here, Cloud

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DaysBefore posted:

Why are there so many unwashed motherfuckers out there? I honestly can't fathom going any significant amount of time without a shower. Even a camping trip has me feeling grody after two days.

Like I totally understand if you're homeless or in a bad living situation or whatever else. But people (mostly dudes) who just... don't bathe? Stay the gently caress away from me

At least some of the time I bet it's undiagnosed mental health problems of which the poor hygiene is merely the tip of the iceberg.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Doc Hawkins posted:

you're really loving up a good thing here, Cloud

#JustPigpenThings

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People told me I was mad when I introduced necromantic child-rearing. "Burn in hell!", they said. They burned me at the stake twice. But who won next year's science fair, huh?!

It takes a village to raise a child, and it takes a family to raise the dead.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How fortunate is your upbringing if you have to ask reddit about this?

This person wanted the opinions of commoners to summarily dismiss

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my husband to stop buying his dead wife the same presents he buys me?

"Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you, he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for not taking down my statue of David in my front garden?

quote:

I have a number of statues around my fountain in my front garden. I love them and I know they can't look that bad because I've had quite a few compliments.

However, today I had a lady knock on the door and ask if I could please move my statue of Michelangelo's david (google if you're unfamiliar) to the back or censor it somehow as there are a lot of children that live locally and walk past often. I said I'd give it some thought because I was put on the spot by the question but I actually don't want to move it and don't think I should have to. It's a work of art of a human body, not inappropriate or sleazy and I don't think there's anything children should be censored from.

I really want to believe it's a full 17' replica towering over the neighborhood

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

My middle and high school band teachers both went on screaming tirades at the whole band when someone hosed up or wasn't paying attention. He'd scream at us about having discipline and being professional. It must have been years before a light bulb went on in my head and I realized that terrorizing children isn't very disciplined or professional.

My 10th grade English teacher was crazy. I don't mean that in a "woo, wacky, quirky teacher" way, she was bipolar and legitimately mentally ill. On some days she would spend the whole class just laughing away, while on others she would just spend the entire class screaming at us and telling us how horrible we all were. You never knew when something would set her off; she could be fine in the morning then see a piece of paper on the floor in the hallway an hour later and have a massive swing, so you never knew just what you were going to get on any given day. Two years after I had her, she was gone for most of the year as she had herself committed for treatment. Apparently it had gotten to the point at home where her husband said "The kids and I can't deal with this anymore, either get help or it's over."

Brawnfire posted:

The random roommate I was stuck with for my first two weeks of university took two showers a day at minimum, often more. If he stepped outside and the weather was even slightly warm, he was in the shower the second he got back. He also bathed himself in eye-watering amounts of cologne after every shower.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 25, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Halloween Jack posted:

This whole idea that coaches or teachers need to be insane drill instructors is so stupid and toxic and yeah completely unprofessional. I still remember one coach jacking me up by my collar to scream at me and 23 years later it's like cool you bullied a 100lb freshman and for what, our team still sucked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

B-Rock452 posted:

This whole idea that coaches or teachers need to be insane drill instructors is so stupid and toxic and yeah completely unprofessional. I still remember one coach jacking me up by my collar to scream at me and 23 years later it's like cool you bullied a 100lb freshman and for what, our team still sucked.

Something about the legacy of the Victorian school systems designed to brutalise children into dead-eyed sociopaths who'd machine-gun children for queen and country, and just generally 'kids these days have it soft' repeated over and over until you have emotionally unstable losers conditioned to see a classroom as a target-rich environment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's amazing how much abuse is tolerated in schools.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and we live in a society obsessed with hierarchies, with who is greater than who, and supposed to reinforce the social order by punishing the lesser at every opportunity, to see it as normal and comforting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

not every pe teacher is abusive, some are just emotionally impotent alcoholics shattered by their failure to preserve their marriage. (hope you're doing okay mr dubois :()

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's amazing how much abuse is tolerated in schools.

well, by some useful meanings of the term, abuse is one the purposes of modern schooling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

My "No comment" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

This happened to Norwood Young in LA. People kept complaining about the statue of David in his front yard, so he got 18 more and put them up in a row.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something about the legacy of the Victorian school systems designed to brutalise children into dead-eyed sociopaths who'd machine-gun children for queen and country, and just generally 'kids these days have it soft' repeated over and over until you have emotionally unstable losers conditioned to see a classroom as a target-rich environment.

Pretty much. And it's frustrating because how many kids are just completely turned off from sports or activities because of shitheads that want to push kids around. But I essentially stopped playing soccer which is a sport that I used to love because the coach was a shithead.

And it's not even like I wasn't athletic, I am currently competing at the national level for strongman and it's because I have a super supportive coach and get to train in a really inclusive and open environment so again the idea that you need to be a screaming a hole to motivate people is so stupid.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tobermory posted:

This happened to Norwood Young in LA. People kept complaining about the statue of David in his front yard, so he got 18 more and put them up in a row.

aw man, if only each one was in a slightly different pose and doing a zoetrope thing. i understand that would cost a ton more though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

not every pe teacher is abusive, some are just emotionally impotent alcoholics shattered by their failure to preserve their marriage. (hope you're doing okay mr dubois :()

In retrospect, I had a really good PE teacher in middle school. He figured out I wasn't a team player or competitive, so he encouraged me to do things myself, for myself. He'd have a few of us come after hours to work out at the school gym, just learn how to use the machines safely and work on stuff with fewer people around. I don't remember it being creepy, either, just, realizing some students did better without peer pressure and competition, and physical education was there for them, too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

aw man, if only each one was in a slightly different pose and doing a zoetrope thing

I thought that for a second because of the slightly different angles, I'm a little disappointed too

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
One of the other teachers though...

He was known as the cool teacher, although two strikes against him: if he saw you at a bar when you were underage (this is Israel, so drinking age was 18, and this was high school, so some of the students would already be legally drinking), he would let management know to kick you out, and there were rumors that he was dating minors (age of consent in Israel is 16).

Last I saw him I randomly ran into him at a bar about a decade after high school, having a drink with someone from my cohort. :barf:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Franz posted:

My 10th grade English teacher was crazy. I don't mean that in a "woo, wacky, quirky teacher" way, she was bipolar and legitimately mentally ill. On some days she would spend the whole class just laughing away, while on others she would just spend the entire class screaming at us and telling us how horrible we all were. You never knew when something would set her off; she could be fine in the morning then see a piece of paper on the floor in the hallway an hour later and have a massive swing, so you never knew just what you were going to get on any given day. Two years after I had her, she was gone for most of the year as she had herself committed for treatment. Apparently it had gotten to the point at home where her husband said "The kids and I can't deal with this anymore, either get help or it's over."

In religious studies at school our class quickly realised you could distract the teacher away from giving homework if in the back half of the lesson you put your hand up to ask his opinion, which would lead to him lecturing about his personal belief system for the entire class time.

* Aliens made the pyramids (prob the most cliche one)
* Reincarnation is real, by way of the moon, which acts as a pit stop for souls on their round trip between earth bodies
* If you are disabled in this life, you committed an act of evil in your previous one
* It is dangerous for the untrained to do meditation, since the act of leaving the body unguarded leaves it open for invasion by demonic forces walking away in it
* Ghosts are real, as evidenced by his dead daughter visiting him several years ago and sitting with him an afternoon explaining the true nature of the universe. This is the most :smith: one since its not hard to conclude this is the life event that his brain crack-pinged from.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was he into Scientology? The lunar soul waystation is a Scientology thing.

We have a recurring student teacher named Mr. Love. Mr. Love was rather effeminate and caught a lot of hell for it. One time he subbed for our science teacher, who just left a VHS of Twister for us to watch. We didn't see most of the movie, because Mr. Love asked us some questions to make sure there was nothing "immoral" in it. He rambled for about half an hour about how the decline of morality in Weimar Germany was what gave rise to the Nazis, which was a weird flex for the most stereotypical Not-So-Closeted Gay Southerner I ever met.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

It might be a Design Toscano replica that she bought from the Skymall catalog.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Tosca...5159530945&th=1

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hey what's up I'm another goon doing therapy to undo the damage my middle school PE teacher did turns out being in a shitton of physical pain due to undiagnosed medical problems and getting told 'the pain means you're getting stronger get up and keep going' will gently caress with your psyche

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It might be a Design Toscano replica that she bought from the Skymall catalog.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Tosca...5159530945&th=1
I assumed that the "super size" version would be taller, rather than Fat King David.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Halloween Jack posted:

I assumed that the "super size" version would be taller, rather than Fat King David.

literally lolled when i clicked

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Donut David

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's clearly enough people who've had some real poo poo go down with teachers/coaches it's worth starting it's own thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WIBTA if I tell my son that he shouldn't spend so much time with his sister?

quote:

While both my son(16m) and daughter(20f) both have a lot of friends themselves, whenever my daughter comes home from college, they always spend a lot of time together. They used to fight and argue a lot when they were younger, but they are much closer now that my son has gotten more mature(although they may have stopped fighting because my son is almost a foot taller than his sister). I'm a bit worried that they may grow up feeling like they need to live close to each other and have a good relationship.

My relationship with my younger sister isn't bad, but it isn't a close one either, and we live far away and rarely speak and we're both okay with it. I don't want my kids to feel obligated to have a good relationship, and that it's okay to be distant with their sibling.

My kids managed to grow up actually developing a nice relationship with one another, should I step in to try and gently caress it all up?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

WIBTA if I tell my son that he shouldn't spend so much time with his sister?

My kids managed to grow up actually developing a nice relationship with one another, should I step in to try and gently caress it all up?

This looks so fake it's probably real. :smith:

Edit:

quote:

YTA. This is one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever read. Your children have a great relationship and you want to barge in to tell them it’s okay to put that on ice? Sounds to me that you’re jealous of the relationship they have.

OP posted:

Maybe I am a bit jealous. I just wish I had a better relationship with my sister.

:ms:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2022

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I had an ultra-christian teacher in elementary school who would force us to pray every morning and thought being left handed was a sigb from god that you were bad (I'm left handed). One time in like sixth grade she struck another pupil with a ruler for having his elbows on the table, and he immediately jumped up and loving karate chopped her straight in the throat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Surprised there isn't a "giant hog" variation of the statue. Or did I just will that into existence somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I had a teacher, well never actually had, he was super popular and everyone knew him though. He was super popular among the students. About 4 years after I graduated it turned out he'd been having sex with students for years (even going into my graduating class) and he gets out of jail next year.