Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Learned that Twilight Imperium at 3 player has people pick 2 strategy cards (after 4 total games lol) and the game turned from some really hard fought war where every hex was carefully chosen and we ran our empires with shoestring action economy, into us throwing ships into each other to "reposition" them at a space dock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Discovered just how much Battlestar Galactica is selling for. Apparently the Daybreak expansion is hard to get, because it's going for $600 alone. What the gently caress. Definitely going to try and sell my set.

Unfathomable is just better in every way, unless you're just like, really into the sci-fi theme I guess?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Frozen Peach posted:

Unfathomable is just better in every way, unless you're just like, really into the sci-fi theme I guess?

Speaking as someone who's played Welcome To... a couple times and thought it was ok but just found out there's a version set on the moon that I have to run out and buy right now, that's understandable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just so folks know, BGG is removing all microbadges that used the word pimp. This is a good thing. Jamie Tang, an strong advocate for women is who initiated this. She's also asked folks who describe pillaging as rape to please stop. Yes, rape can be used in that manner but there's no need to when its a very triggering word for some and pillaging works just as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

Just so folks know, BGG is removing all microbadges that used the word pimp. This is a good thing. Jamie Tang, an strong advocate for women is who initiated this. She's also asked folks who describe pillaging as rape to please stop. Yes, rape can be used in that manner but there's no need to when its a very triggering word for some and pillaging works just as well.

Always glad to hear other voices remind of how we can better use language to make the board game world more welcoming.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Poopy Palpy posted:

Speaking as someone who's played Welcome To... a couple times and thought it was ok but just found out there's a version set on the moon that I have to run out and buy right now, that's understandable.

It's a legacy game- NO WAIT COME BACK NOT LIKE THAT. There's a story you can play through and there are several boards included in the box that are laminated already and it comes with markers and frankly played so well that outside of the relative simplicity of the original game this seems to me like an improvement in every way imaginable. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction so I recommend researching it first but if you like Welcome To as much as we do (probably not but whatever) then this seems like a slam dunk.

My only criticism is I dislike the art style. It has this kinda grubby early CG look to designs that is visually unappealing and occasionally veers into distracting.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Frozen Peach posted:

More like I'm bored to death of Mythos. Especially played straight.

I also have a policy on never buying a game that's less than two years old because that's usually sufficient time for any artificial hype or FOMO to wear off, and actual organic informed opinions to accumulate into a rough consensus.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Arcadia Quest Inferno is on sale at Miniature Market and I've always thought it looked like goofy fun. I think it has a reputation for being one of the better CMON games.

Someone convince me this is a bad idea and that I should not buy it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

OrthoTrot posted:

I've only played it once or twice before in person so I still feel like I'm learning it. I find it very hard to work out what strategy to follow until it's too late usually. If I've by some chance done something that's "worked" for the building availability and placements and worker auction I score ok. Other times I'll try something and I'm struggling to work out if it's going to all come together until it's too late to shift gears.

The three basic strategies are

[1] Lots of cowboys. Buy loads of cows and cycle through to make high point delivery. You don't need to max out cowboys for this strat, but it helps.
[2] Lots of engineers. Hit those stations after NYC for big points. For this you do need at least for 4 engineers, at which point you might as well max engineers for VPs.
[2] Lots of builders. It is perfectly possible to build the 10+ worker buildings in a normal game. I still struggle to pull off this one in most games.

These are not the only viable strategies, but the others are generally variants or combinations of the big 3. So you might as well learn how to pull them off first.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Frozen Peach posted:

Discovered just how much Battlestar Galactica is selling for. Apparently the Daybreak expansion is hard to get, because it's going for $600 alone. What the gently caress. Definitely going to try and sell my set.

Yeah I had a copy of daybreak up for trade on BGG like 5 years ago and I got weekly messages about it. I sold it and the rest of my BSG stuff (complete set without all the boxes + custom stuff made on the forums) to a goon for $250 around then and I thought that was pretty drat good at the time.

It’s jacked up because rarity (only one print run of Daybreak) and renewed interest from collectors/people who dislike cthulhu theme of the remake. Get that bag!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Plan B has announced their next 4-letter abstract game, Maui.

It's about arranging towels on a beach. The resource is Sand Dollars, which Hawai'i doesn't have.

Oh well, it's still better than that dumbass lei-making game from 2020.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Arcadia Quest Inferno is on sale at Miniature Market and I've always thought it looked like goofy fun. I think it has a reputation for being one of the better CMON games.

Someone convince me this is a bad idea and that I should not buy it.

AQ is a fine beer and pretzels dice chucker. Inferno takes place in a brimstone setting with one small mechanic taken from a previous expansion (easy enough, good) and one large mechanic that is new (being able to rescue certain characters and add them to your team later in campaign). I would personally spring for the original version, but Inferno is fine.

There are many KS exclusives which are painful and expensive to track down. Not worth the time and money to be a completionist there. Just proxy different hero cards if you want to expand.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

golden bubble posted:

The three basic strategies are

[1] Lots of cowboys. Buy loads of cows and cycle through to make high point delivery. You don't need to max out cowboys for this strat, but it helps.
[2] Lots of engineers. Hit those stations after NYC for big points. For this you do need at least for 4 engineers, at which point you might as well max engineers for VPs.
[2] Lots of builders. It is perfectly possible to build the 10+ worker buildings in a normal game. I still struggle to pull off this one in most games.

These are not the only viable strategies, but the others are generally variants or combinations of the big 3. So you might as well learn how to pull them off first.

Sure, I think I know the basic strategies but deciding which route to go down relies on a lot of factors like what buildings are available. Then the state of the worker auction and looking at what others are doing might influence things as you go on.

So my issue generally is working out when something is viable and when you need to try something else. I often figure it out a bit too late.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Slyphic posted:

More like I'm bored to death of Mythos. Especially played straight.

I also have a policy on never buying a game that's less than two years old because that's usually sufficient time for any artificial hype or FOMO to wear off, and actual organic informed opinions to accumulate into a rough consensus.

This is very sensible. I fall constant prey to FOMO and stuff being hard to get once it gets popular (recently For Science!, longer ago El Grande).

Ark Nova is the one I’m wrestling with at the moment. I SUSPECT it’s fairly average and will either disappear in two years or be re released with a premium edition, but the buzz has me angsting.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Blamestorm posted:

This is very sensible. I fall constant prey to FOMO and stuff being hard to get once it gets popular (recently For Science!, longer ago El Grande).

Ark Nova is the one I’m wrestling with at the moment. I SUSPECT it’s fairly average and will either disappear in two years or be re released with a premium edition, but the buzz has me angsting.

I do think Ark Nova will have sticking power. I play a lot of new games and have become pretty picky about what I play and it still stands out as a very very good game to me with the caveat that it is very low interaction. That said, there are so so many good games already out there that I don't think anyone is missing anything by not having played it when you could just as easily play another game of Brass, Gaia Project, Concordia, A Feast For Odin or whatever other heavy euro is your favourite.

I definitely fall prey to the hype and fomo too, but part of that is that I really do enjoy the process of experiencing a game for the first time and exploring its systems, but unless that really matters to you (and you can just as easily get that playing someone else's copy) I don't think you're missing anything by waiting until it becomes more readily available.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

A group of us tried to play Stellar Horizons last weekend. We made it 24 hours in (all nighter) before one of us had to leave for a plane home and we were only about 2/3 of the way through the game. I would say I really enjoyed this game, but man is it designed to be VERY long and is in desperate need of some streamlining.

Anyone else tried to play this game yet? Curious to hear others’ experiences and thoughts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

It's not average. If Terraforming Mars can make top 10, Ark Nova can as well. We know it will get at least one expansion and I believe it will also get an Ares style revamp so it can be sold in Target. It's theme is very family focused but it would be too much for many families. It's a very pleasing somewhat heavy board game experience. While my favorite game of 2021 was Imperial Steam, I can very easily get Ark Nova to the table even with people who have played it a bunch of times, something I can't do with Imperial Steam.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

An interesting post on reddit. A guy was playing Ticket to Ride with his mom and wife. His mom had started in the west and kept taking tickets that were in the west and therefore won the game. His wife felt like his mom was cheating. The reason I find it interesting is that for some people (like his wife) playing board games is a purely social experience and when someone actually competes to win, they've somehow broken an unwritten rule. Has anyone else had this happen? Where an unwritten rule has been broken and then folks get upset?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Goldmansack posted:

A group of us tried to play Stellar Horizons last weekend. We made it 24 hours in (all nighter) before one of us had to leave for a plane home and we were only about 2/3 of the way through the game. I would say I really enjoyed this game, but man is it designed to be VERY long and is in desperate need of some streamlining.

Anyone else tried to play this game yet? Curious to hear others’ experiences and thoughts.

I have never heard of this game before, but you reckon it would take 32~ hours to play? Because BGG sez 2-4.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm getting Ark Nova + Great Western Trail 2nd Edition to the table this weekend (And probably Paint the Roses which arrived today)

My group has a pretty good radar on finding stand out games, and I can usually tell when I need to schedule multiple sessions of a game back to back. Unfathomable + Nemesis had multiple plays, TI had enough interest we're going straight to 8 players for the next session.

I've got a strong feeling about Ark Nova, and will post my thoughts afterwards.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

An interesting post on reddit. A guy was playing Ticket to Ride with his mom and wife. His mom had started in the west and kept taking tickets that were in the west and therefore won the game. His wife felt like his mom was cheating. The reason I find it interesting is that for some people (like his wife) playing board games is a purely social experience and when someone actually competes to win, they've somehow broken an unwritten rule. Has anyone else had this happen? Where an unwritten rule has been broken and then folks get upset?

I saw that post and personally thought it was absurd. The mother's behavior was utterly normal boardgame playing, and if someone accused me of cheating for playing a game according to the game's clear rules I would probably not play games with them anymore. Since it was the guy's wife and mother, he probably doesn't have that luxury, but holy hell it's such an absurd thing to get mad about. Ticket to Ride isn't even a complex game, the rules are very basic and her playstyle is a simple and obvious strategy. I feel bad for that guy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh, I've seen a lot of people say "cheating" to mean "playing in a way that kills the fun." It's imprecise but understandable. I would say that if the game rewards you for playing in an unfun way, then it's a bad game. For someone who's not seen the reddit post, the ma was just tooling around building track and blocking people, rather than taking more tickets and being forced to build any specific connection. I wouldn't say the ma was doing anything obviously unfun. In fact, I would say most of the fun in TTR is trying to block people. I'm kind of surprised that it resulted in her winning, it never works out for me. Besides, everyone knows that the real degenerate strategy is to do nothing but take locomotive cards. Hoard all of the locomotive cards.
I don't think I play any game enough times to have evolved an agreed-upon way-to-play. Which is a sadness, but everyone's always buying new games!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Another (sometimes) viable strategy is to just take all the 6 length routes for points and to quickly exhaust your trains.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know TTR is ticket to ride but every time I see it my brain jumps to "through the resert"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mayveena posted:

It's a thing that comes up semi-regularly in RPG discourse, where expectations are more fluid and the rules are a lot looser. The current accepted practice is to have a 'session 0' where you talk about the rules you're using/not using, the expectations each player has, stuff you want to see or don't want to see, etc. and thus make all that social contract stuff fully explicit instead of leaving people to guess.

I assumed board games had it easier since there seems to be a more common assumption of 'we will use all the rules, and compete/co-operate to do our best to win'. But apparently not.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

potatocubed posted:

It's a thing that comes up semi-regularly in RPG discourse, where expectations are more fluid and the rules are a lot looser. The current accepted practice is to have a 'session 0' where you talk about the rules you're using/not using, the expectations each player has, stuff you want to see or don't want to see, etc. and thus make all that social contract stuff fully explicit instead of leaving people to guess.

I assumed board games had it easier since there seems to be a more common assumption of 'we will use all the rules, and compete/co-operate to do our best to win'. But apparently not.

This type of thing will happen among non hobbyists. Hobby board gamers expect people to compete when they sit down to play a competitive game whether it be Ticket to Ride or Brass Birmingham. Others look at board games as uninteresting except for the social aspect so when someone actually plays to win, they feel like the 'rules' have changed.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Because I use rules such as limited resource hoarding in limited resource games or hate drafting to my advantage my wife thinks that is scummy :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know people who aren't able to emotionally handle player conflict well in games where there are mixes of conflict and non-conflict paths. E.g. one in particular will get pissed if you block her in a worker placement game, but if it's a full conflict game like Root she'll be just fine. poo poo, in a full-conflict game she's outright bloodthirsty. She's also fine with co-op games: it's just when the game has this particular space she has a tendency to get mad, maybe because blocking actions feel more personal or something idk.

It sounds to me as if "Wife" in that case is a person who isn't able to deal with in-game conflict in that context, and her vocabulary for describing what happened isn't sufficient. There isn't a concise word for "was playing against the spirit of the game," and in her mind the spirit of the game is "experience generator." I bet she's probably the kind of player who is happiest with the kind of extremely random games that this thread loathes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I know people who aren't able to emotionally handle player conflict well in games where there are mixes of conflict and non-conflict paths. E.g. one in particular will get pissed if you block her in a worker placement game, but if it's a full conflict game like Root she'll be just fine. poo poo, in a full-conflict game she's outright bloodthirsty. She's also fine with co-op games: it's just when the game has this particular space she has a tendency to get mad, maybe because blocking actions feel more personal or something idk.

It sounds to me as if "Wife" in that case is a person who isn't able to deal with in-game conflict in that context, and her vocabulary for describing what happened isn't sufficient. There isn't a concise word for "was playing against the spirit of the game," and in her mind the spirit of the game is "experience generator." I bet she's probably the kind of player who is happiest with the kind of extremely random games that this thread loathes.

(not speaking as an IK here). "Loathes" is strong I think. This thread is for people who are in or interested in games as a hobby right? And as you say there are people who play these types of random generation style games that are playing solely to see what happens. It's kind of like many photography forums. People who discuss cameras in those forums don't necessarily loath camera phones, but they aren't the focus and if folks bring up camera phones (in a non camera phone specific thread) then what they are saying may be dismissed. And that can happen in this thread as well which I believe (personally not as an IK) is expected behavior.

Now IK speaking :) I think we can agree that all of us want this to be a welcoming thread and actively loathing folks choices doesn't quite accomplish that? We experienced Rutibex back in the day, but I think the issue there was that Rutibex couldn't seem to see that the random experience games they discussed were really not much difference than rolling dice. It's totally acceptable to like dice rolling games. Not as much when you insist that they are the pinnacle of board game design.

Hope i said this right!!!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Some groups will get mad at you when you set the big pile of sheep that have accumulated on the action space free because you don't have a place for them and some groups will get mad at you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

This type of thing will happen among non hobbyists. Hobby board gamers expect people to compete when they sit down to play a competitive game whether it be Ticket to Ride or Brass Birmingham. Others look at board games as uninteresting except for the social aspect so when someone actually plays to win, they feel like the 'rules' have changed.

There's a point in between where people are willing to engage with a board game on a surface level, but have a very naive understanding of how it's "supposed" to be played. OP's wife seems to be willing to compete within some kind of self-imposed metagame where she vies with other players to complete a lot of tickets, so it rubs her the wrong way that someone can ignore the objective of the game as decided by her and still somehow win.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

There's a point in between where people are willing to engage with a board game on a surface level, but have a very naive understanding of how it's "supposed" to be played. OP's wife seems to be willing to compete within some kind of self-imposed metagame where she vies with other players to complete a lot of tickets, so it rubs her the wrong way that someone can ignore the objective of the game as decided by her and still somehow win.

I wonder what's next for them as a group? Can wife move on and understand that it's OK to play to win? This will take an attitude adjustment for that to happen, but without it I wouldn't play games with her anymore.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I have never heard of this game before, but you reckon it would take 32~ hours to play? Because BGG sez 2-4.

That estimate makes 0 sense, unless it’s based solely on people playing the scenarios. We tried to play the full campaign, which covers 2030 - 2145, with each turn representing a single year.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I distinctly remember once when I was younger my father getting viscerally upset with my mother. We (or they; I can't remember if I was old enough to be included yet) were playing Scrabble, and whenever a line to get to (e.g.) a triple word score appeared, if she couldn't make use of it, she would block it off with a garbage word, even if she had a better play point-wise available to her. From what I remember of their argument, in his mind, she was ruining the experience of the game by preventing elegant plays, while she was making sure he didn't outscore her.

(Of course, he didn't view all games the same way. Once he had taught me the rules of chess, he never let me win. It was frustrating but only made me want to do better, and made those times I beat him all the sweeter.)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

(not speaking as an IK here). "Loathes" is strong I think. This thread is for people who are in or interested in games as a hobby right? And as you say there are people who play these types of random generation style games that are playing solely to see what happens. It's kind of like many photography forums. People who discuss cameras in those forums don't necessarily loath camera phones, but they aren't the focus and if folks bring up camera phones (in a non camera phone specific thread) then what they are saying may be dismissed. And that can happen in this thread as well which I believe (personally not as an IK) is expected behavior.

Now IK speaking :) I think we can agree that all of us want this to be a welcoming thread and actively loathing folks choices doesn't quite accomplish that? We experienced Rutibex back in the day, but I think the issue there was that Rutibex couldn't seem to see that the random experience games they discussed were really not much difference than rolling dice. It's totally acceptable to like dice rolling games. Not as much when you insist that they are the pinnacle of board game design.

Hope i said this right!!!

Nah, some games are just bad and it's right to hate them and the people who like them. Transformers : The Deck Builder is a terrible game in every way and I'm not going to say 'ah well horses for courses I guess' for sake of :decorum:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Admiralty Flag posted:

(Of course, he didn't view all games the same way. Once he had taught me the rules of chess, he never let me win. It was frustrating but only made me want to do better, and made those times I beat him all the sweeter.)

I know this isn't the thrust of your post. but I don't generally take with the idea of "I will never play one whit below my abililty, because to do so would be to disrespect the game/my opponent" for a number of reasons, but the one I will share is that some games -- chess comes to mind -- are the kind of game where "the better I play, the less you get to play" and for such games especially I just don't find it very constructive to come out swinging 24/7, especially if you're trying to get someone interested in what the game has to offer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I know this isn't the thrust of your post. but I don't generally take with the idea of "I will never play one whit below my abililty, because to do so would be to disrespect the game/my opponent" for a number of reasons, but the one I will share is that some games -- chess comes to mind -- are the kind of game where "the better I play, the less you get to play" and for such games especially I just don't find it very constructive to come out swinging 24/7, especially if you're trying to get someone interested in what the game has to offer.

See that's the upside of being the constant loser at games that I am. Never have to worry about beating new players :unsmith:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Aramoro posted:

Nah, some games are just bad and it's right to hate them and the people who like them. Transformers : The Deck Builder is a terrible game in every way and I'm not going to say 'ah well horses for courses I guess' for sake of :decorum:

The Transformers deck builder is just fine, but "ameritrash' as hell. And I enjoy Punching Soundwave in the dick and pretending it's 11 year old me doing it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah my gf enjoys competitive games, though sometimes can get a little too competitive. She doesn't mind losing because someone got a higher score, but if that person got a higher score because they denied her points, then she gets frustrated.

(ie the difference between gaining two points and gaining zero points but stopping the other person from gaining two points - the resulting difference in scores is the same)

She's acknowledged that it's dumb, and tries not to take it personally but grew up in a family of very competitive board/card gamers so it's a tough habit for her to shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aramoro posted:

I agree with the first sentence, but reserve that hate for things like Cards against Humanity and other stuff that is genuinely offensive and makes the hobby much worse for their existence, popular or not.