Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What about that tank the Jar Jar Blinks people used in that one Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Mr. T Wing

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

UCS Gonk Droid. It‘ll be sold out in ten seconds.

E: make it like the Mario Questionmark, so it opens up and has microscale Star Wars dioramas in it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just give me a nice new UCS X-wing, 10240 came out nine years ago which was before I had AFOL money.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FBS posted:

Just give me a nice new UCS X-wing, 10240 came out nine years ago which was before I had AFOL money.

Also this, I feel a new one can't be far off.

Edit: or a new B-Wing please

Edit edit: UCS U-Wing maybe to coincide with the Andor series which I assume will feature more of them?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

10240 is the only UCS I've ever bought used, I missed it somehow when it first came out. Bought it NIB for $265 in 2018 which didn't seem too bad.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
in addition to the mustache block and the question mark block pieces we can also thank the mario sets for introducing thalidomide arms

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=28660&idColor=90#T=C&C=90

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UCS Tauntaun

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Only if you can tear it open and put Luke inside.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

tuo posted:

UCS Gonk Droid. It‘ll be sold out in ten seconds.

E: make it like the Mario Questionmark, so it opens up and has microscale Star Wars dioramas in it.

This is an underappreciated genius suggestion

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Davros1 posted:

UCS Tauntaun

Wait that could actually work

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'll back up everyone else and say yeah it owns, just make sure you've got room to display it properly

I'm slightly mad at prequel stans that got the gunship made instead of the TIE Bomber. I don't get why there hasn't even been a decent small-scale Bomber, ever.

I was kind of pissed about that too. Tie Bomber is one of my favorite ships. The lack of lego tie bombers and interceptors will aways baffle me. Like, they are pretty popular ships and lego has made virtually everything from the OT 5 times over now yet neither one of them has gotten an update since like 2000 and they look like poo poo. Hell, even Vader himself's tie very rarely makes an appearance, although the one from like 2015 was good.

Yet Lego will make literally any tie fighter that appears in a cartoon or TV show.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Looking at the list of upcoming sets for 2022 and all I can say is it's shaping up to be an expensive year. I thought I might be able to keep a lid on things but that Eiffel Tower is supposed to be nearly as tall as the Titanic is long, with the price to match.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hows the typewriter? is the build as complex and satisfying as it looks?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Ask me about how fun missing a crucial piece from the middle of the key mechanism and having to mostly disassemble it to fix it was!

Apart from that, yes, it's complex. It's too fiddly to be a particularly satisfying build, although it's a great display piece.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Looking at the list of upcoming sets for 2022 and all I can say is it's shaping up to be an expensive year. I thought I might be able to keep a lid on things but that Eiffel Tower is supposed to be nearly as tall as the Titanic is long, with the price to match.

But will it fit in a Detolf?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Fatkraken posted:

But will it fit in a Detolf?

Good question! Someone better at napkin geometry than myself could tell you- if it's 5cm shorter than the Titanic and if it maintains the proportions of the real thing, that'd give us an idea of the size of baseplate we're working with. I managed to cram Assembly Square into one, however it fits between the metal 'ladder' superstructure so while it's technically possible to display a 48-wide set in the correct orientation, a set 48 studs square I doubt would be able to fit. So probably not is my tentative answer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Even the Statue of Liberty is too tall to display on whatever IKEA unit I have. The Burj Khalifa barely fits and the modulars are mostly fine except the billboard on top of whichever one has a billboard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

It's a smidge repetitive at parts, but the mechanism itself is really cool and complex. I have it on display at a shelf at work and it looks great. I just wish both the button mechanism and carriage return were a bit stronger somehow, but they do technically work.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
My one beef with the Typewriter is the keys don't reset to be exactly level with one another. I found the build itself to be a tad grueling (I'm really not a Technic guy and the interior is very Technic-heavy) but it's very rewarding to have as a display piece.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Has anyone here used those LED kits for their sets like Lightailing and Brick Shine and stuff? Is there a particular company that's good/bad for those?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lightmybricks is the Cadillac of those deals, most other companies copy them at varying quality levels. Lightmybricks copied the design elements of some other company whose name I can’t remember, they whined about it when Lego teased they might be doing some kind of partnership but they never bothered to file for patent protection so :shrug:

I’ve done kits for R2, yoda and the infinity gauntlet and it’s kinda difficult compared to the ease of putting Lego together but not terrible.

vvvv lightmybricks has a US warehouse now (in my wife’s hometown funnily)

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 25, 2022

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Neo Rasa posted:

Has anyone here used those LED kits for their sets like Lightailing and Brick Shine and stuff? Is there a particular company that's good/bad for those?

I have a lot of lightailing and other aliexpress led kits. They're fine? The wires are super fragile tho and you have to sandwich wires between bricks which can causes instability / fragility with the build itself. You basically get what you pay for... It makes for a great display tho if you're not going to touch it.

Lightailing has an Amazon presence in the USA now so you can get those shipped with Prime and not have to wait for overaseas shipping from China.

Edit:
Wanted to add, some lighting kits are designed to be modular with breakout boards and plugs and others are just an octopus of wires coming out of a single usb plug. https://www.lightmybricks.com/ is modular and lightailing is typically the octopus type but can vary.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego seems to have quietly walked back lighting kits it seems.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The_Doctor posted:

Lego seems to have quietly walked back lighting kits it seems.

Makes sense. You can't really do them correctly without special bricks for the wiring, and the wiring kits have always been horribly expensive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also lego seems to be undergoing a general theme of restructuring/belt tightening. I assume experimental stuff like wring sets with leds got axed pretty quick.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not surprised they canned the LED lighting kits. I don’t see a way to implement that, that doesn’t go way outside of Legos standard of quality and ease of use. It’s better left as a third party thing for hobbyists.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just want an LED brick with a tiny self-containing solar battery. Perfect for itty-bitty lamps.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

veni veni veni posted:

I’m not surprised they canned the LED lighting kits. I don’t see a way to implement that, that doesn’t go way outside of Legos standard of quality and ease of use. It’s better left as a third party thing for hobbyists.

It would be nice to have bricks with special channels in them for routing cables. Like part 4216.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Many LEGO fans would scoff at this but a dremel tool could easily cut grooves on the bottom of bricks for the wiring.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What sets lately have even used the special bricks with lights in them? Only one I can think of that I have is the blacksmith shop.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, light bleed

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
In news that no one cares about but me, I just finished my Tumbler kit. It was a really cool exercise in seeing how things get put together at angles. A lot of the details of it get lost since it is all black, until you look closely. It's my favorite Batmobile and my third kit as an Adult.

Until the McLaren F1 comes back in stock I will be focusing on a project I'm doing in Studio that I can hopefully complete and be able to order as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday this summer. I'm terrified at how much it will cost, but I think in the end it will be pretty cool. Fingers crossed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What sets lately have even used the special bricks with lights in them? Only one I can think of that I have is the blacksmith shop.

The new Delorean uses it for the Flux Capacitor I think?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The new Delorean uses it for the Flux Capacitor I think?

That's the most recent one. The Technic Batmobile from the recent film uses two of them, in different colours. One red in the front and one yellow in the back.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Where do you guys look at the upcoming sets?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

New Wave Jose posted:

Where do you guys look at the upcoming sets?

Crystal Ball Technic set 45589

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Spring lantern festival has a red light up bull if you press its rear end in a top hat

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wish the 3-in-1 tiger did that, but in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RatHat posted:

I wish the 3-in-1 tiger did that, but in reverse.

it's Lego, be the change you want to see in the world