Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

bop bop perano posted:

Oh cool, the idea of having a mini MnM box in the form of a digitakt like elektron box is exciting, and would compliment the digitakt well. I assume it only has one LFO per track? I saw someone going over it, and it looked the same as the digitakt LFO, but with destinations for what seemed like most of the synth parameters, I think they were using the wavetable synth, and used the LFO to change the wave shape, if I remember correctly. If there is only one LFO I hope they add it in an update, and like you said, the Sid and mnm stuff would be great. The person who made that MnM video said it’s basically just fm, with an LFO on the pitch I think.

Or maybe I should just try to build something that can do the MnM fm stuff in max/msp instead …
Elektrons website says 2x assignable lfos per track, so like the current patch for the digitakt i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh yeah I forgot the monomachine has 3 LFOs.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It had better do speech synthesis like the monomachine otherwise I don’t want one :colbert:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

looks like a beefier model cycles. I had a cycles and it had a nice timbre but really limited sound palette imo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’ve been feeling like i’m in a creative rut for a while and i’ve had this project on the tracker and model cycles open for a while but i haven’t touched it aside from listening to it for weeks. i didn’t use the MS kick but i used the snare despite the fact that i love the kicks you can get out of it way more than the snares. it works way better for four on the floor stuff than it does with the more two-step breakbeat type patterns tho. posting it here mostly to get people to yell at me to finish it or something, i’m sure some people in here like old ish school gabber

https://soundcloud.com/all-caps-rin/hardware-gabber/s-vbKt9hINad2

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

i’ve been feeling like i’m in a creative rut for a while and i’ve had this project on the tracker and model cycles open for a while but i haven’t touched it aside from listening to it for weeks. i didn’t use the MS kick but i used the snare despite the fact that i love the kicks you can get out of it way more than the snares. it works way better for four on the floor stuff than it does with the more two-step breakbeat type patterns tho. posting it here mostly to get people to yell at me to finish it or something, i’m sure some people in here like old ish school gabber

https://soundcloud.com/all-caps-rin/hardware-gabber/s-vbKt9hINad2

:nice: Now I feel like I need to play Crash Bandicoot or something.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
My friend asked me to hold onto his Machinedrum and deepmind 6 for a few months cause he was moving and he’d lost his old house in a fire (I’m in Northern California), but I miss it, it really is the best drum machine ever. I also loved the Deepmind and I still want one but idk, I feel like I already have enough software that can do what the deepmind can do to an extent, maybe aside from some of the specific effect matrix stuff, but even that is probably do-able. Having this little hardware setup with it all running into the digitakt was fun though

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:negative: TE's warehouse has a 24-48hr delay because of covid, ordered Thursday morning and still no shipping notification. Hopefully it gets here on the 29th at this rate...

xzzy posted:

if I read things right can even be a midi controller?

Yes, via BLE.

I wonder what the easter egg is

It's really hard to understate how stoked I am to have 18 more knobs to assign to whatever, especially on the OP1.

E: I wonder if an extremely cursed 3.5mm->Mini-USB adapter would work for the OP1, I think it wants a USB host. It's no matter as there's a USB port too, but funy cable.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 23, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My local Guitar Center finally got some Beatstep Pro's in stock so I was able to snag one again to do my clocking between midi and cv.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

net work error posted:

My local Guitar Center finally got some Beatstep Pro's in stock so I was able to snag one again to do my clocking between midi and cv.

I'm going to be looking into how much you can do that with a SQ-1 over the next few days. I didn't think it would be that great for that but I've seen one youtube video that says to the contrary.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey guys just a few more q's about euro cases: is it the mean well power supplies that are considered noisy? Are the doepfer ones superior?

I'm currently considering a case from this company on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/CaseFromLake?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=772269514

They have an option for either power supply. Does it seem like an ok choice? I can't seem to find any off the shelf builds with a lid. I would be getting the 6u 104 option.

There doesn't seem to be any Australian builders- I'll get stung about 200au on delivery from Europe which is where nearly all of the builders seem to be. Can anyone name an Australian builder? Thanks again

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's called euro rack if you want stuff made down under you need to look for aussie rack.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

Hey guys just a few more q's about euro cases: is it the mean well power supplies that are considered noisy? Are the doepfer ones superior?

I'm currently considering a case from this company on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/CaseFromLake?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=772269514

They have an option for either power supply. Does it seem like an ok choice? I can't seem to find any off the shelf builds with a lid. I would be getting the 6u 104 option.

There doesn't seem to be any Australian builders- I'll get stung about 200au on delivery from Europe which is where nearly all of the builders seem to be. Can anyone name an Australian builder? Thanks again

Doepfer is preferred to Meanwell.

Looking at that case... you can do better. Why a lid? They seem awesome but they're kind of a pain in the rear end if you're not traveling regularly. That one looks like it's gonna be a hassle to close w/ a patch in (were you the poster worried about cats and cables?) so you're still unpatching every time (or just... leaving it? I think most people end up just leaving it, even w/ cats).

If you're remotely handy, it's just plywood and nice hardware, but it's almost definitely easier and cheaper to find that stuff yourself locally, and then just toss a PSU in there. Even if you do go Doepfer, you might be able to find one in country, or at least it would be cheaper to ship.

https://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d62_Studio_System.html

Here's Elby's page- they're AU based. Lotsa stuff from a la carte parts to full cases, and they do lids. Wash aesthetically imo (depends on if you like sheet metal or plywood) but might be cheaper at least?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

How much of a pita would it be to adapt a used, but still fairly young PC power supply for use with eurorack? It's about 750W iirc

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t know but to me that sounds like it would be an absolute nightmare and not unlikely to kill you

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Depends. Somewhere between "you can hook up a busboard directly to it and go" and "lotta hacking involved not worth the time vs an off the shelf kit".

Also consider stuff like this: https://aisynthesis.com/product/eurorack-power-supply/

e: wait 750 watts or milliwatts? if thats not a typo thats way overspecced and probably doable in an absolute sense but not worth it.

3W each of +/- 12v is a big system

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2022

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Assuming you specifically want 12v, and don't need to support 9 or 15, all you'd need to do is make or buy button that turns the PSU on (it can safely be done with a paperclip), and then buy power distribution kit that takes molex.

But it would be pretty wasteful, those supplies don't hit the efficiency numbers they claim until they're >80% loaded.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
pair of 7812s in bipolar 1500/2 = 750mW
really it'll be more like 650 and it'll depend on what's feeding it
E: oo, 7812/7912, yeah it'll do closer to 1500

Startyde fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 24, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Assuming you specifically want 12v, and don't need to support 9 or 15, all you'd need to do is make or buy button that turns the PSU on (it can safely be done with a paperclip), and then buy power distribution kit that takes molex.

But it would be pretty wasteful, those supplies don't hit the efficiency numbers they claim until they're >80% loaded.

True, but how much of that wastefulness is offset by the fact that they're free?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Very wasteful, negative offset. A normal wall wart might consume 2 watts total.

The efficiency loss of that PSU doesn't change for the better when you're only using ~1/350th of what it's rated for. If you measure, you will find it is consuming something like 25-50 watts at idle.

E: Assuming the best case (25 watts), and an electricity cost of $0.12/kWh: If you never turned it off, you'd be able to pay the $12.50 for a proper wall wart after ~6 months. It's likely worse than that.

Selling it on craigslist for an absolute deal would help someone who actually needs to use it for its intended purpose, and leave you some extra beer money or whatever.

Put another way, that power supply could drive every single rack in this thread, and still have enough oomph left over to also run a computer to post on.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 24, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Thumposaurus posted:

It's called euro rack if you want stuff made down under you need to look for aussie rack.

if you're an american and you're looking for something bigger and less efficient, there's frac or 5u

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Very wasteful, negative offset. A normal wall wart might consume 2 watts total.

The efficiency loss of that PSU doesn't change for the better when you're only using ~1/350th of what it's rated for. If you measure, you will find it is consuming something like 25-50 watts at idle.

E: Assuming the best case (25 watts), and an electricity cost of $0.12/kWh: If you never turned it off, you'd be able to pay the $12.50 for a proper wall wart after ~6 months. It's likely worse than that.

Selling it on craigslist for an absolute deal would help someone who actually needs to use it for its intended purpose, and leave you some extra beer money or whatever.

Put another way, that power supply could drive every single rack in this thread, and still have enough oomph left over to also run a computer to post on.

Okay, great answer, thanks. Now I've got a couple or three old power supplies that were made for mini-ITX, they are very small and low power as far as computer power supplies go. I wonder if they could be put to use. But I'll leave that for when I have them at hand. Here's part of what I've been occupied with this weekend:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Please do not use those either. Everything from that post still applies to a 200-400w PSU. Including selling it for a steal to buy a proper wall wart and coming out with extra money.

I don't know how else to explain this. You need 2 watts. Not 200 watts.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 24, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well I won't bother you any more about it, thanks for your clear answers. I can hardly imagine anybody wanting my old mini-itx stuff, I guess I should put it up at the gear trade thread. You know, while I'm at it, I am going to be unloading a spring reverb I salvaged from a discarded Farfisa, if anybody can imagine a use for it, pls PM me. Free + shipping.

Been kind of trying to get my place cleaned up, started assembling this:

... and that's as far as I've made it this weekend so far. Oh, and I got the SQ-1 controlling a soft synth via the Midisport and all the drivers are playing nice with REAPER. I call all this a win. After I get it so you can see the floor in here I'm going to make some cables to connect the BNC on the Wavetek to the .25 on the the SQ-1. I think that should be where it gets really fun.

Shout to JamesKPolk, who provided me the Lexicon multi-effect above, it works great with the Wavetek, just as you anticipated!

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh drat.

https://twitter.com/synthanatomy/status/1518256784594685954?s=21&t=zYMubgMj4jfEjnqgP4M8-Q

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:sigh: If you're really insistent on using them, you'll want to figure out how to cascade the rails into an adjustable linear regulator to eliminate all of the switching noise

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Doepfer is preferred to Meanwell.

Looking at that case... you can do better. Why a lid? They seem awesome but they're kind of a pain in the rear end if you're not traveling regularly. That one looks like it's gonna be a hassle to close w/ a patch in (were you the poster worried about cats and cables?) so you're still unpatching every time (or just... leaving it? I think most people end up just leaving it, even w/ cats).

If you're remotely handy, it's just plywood and nice hardware, but it's almost definitely easier and cheaper to find that stuff yourself locally, and then just toss a PSU in there. Even if you do go Doepfer, you might be able to find one in country, or at least it would be cheaper to ship.

https://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d62_Studio_System.html

Here's Elby's page- they're AU based. Lotsa stuff from a la carte parts to full cases, and they do lids. Wash aesthetically imo (depends on if you like sheet metal or plywood) but might be cheaper at least?

Thanks, I'm checking out elby now and they look ok, fired off an email with a few questions. The doepfer cases seem pretty expensive here still (same as everything synth related lol). I also prefer to patch my rack flat on the table rather than sitting up so the doepfer cases seem very deep. I have 3 cats who shed like crazy and like to lay on stuff but a lid is not absolutely necessary, it was more of a concession for my missus (we just bought a small apartment and my synth stuff is in the lounge so I'd like it to look less intrusive).

Kind of frustrating how few case options are available, I might get the elby if it's operable without a power panel taking up 4hp, otherwise I'm thinking maybe I just go gently caress it and get another 64x pod for now (which, deep down, I know I will regret in the long term but it leaves more money for modules now).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yeah, seems like a long time coming. She announced Beads would be the last module she would design, back in 2019. Then, when things started being discontinued, she said it was getting harder to find manufacturers who would actually build to her specifications, and arguing with them took up more of her time then designing/programming (the part she enjoys).

Thank goodness everything is available for DIY, and mutable modules will always be available. She’s insisted in the past that so many DIY’ers making Mutable modules doesn’t impact her business, but there’s a lot of shady people selling built “DIY” modules on Reverb and whatnot for stupid prices. Kind of wonder if that eventually began to have an effect.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, this SQ-1 going into the Wavetek is lots of fun. So fun I'm exhausted ATM. I am kinda surprised, now that I know, to see so little old lab equipment like this being used in recorded music but also every now and then I come across a novel sound and then remember having heard it on some dumb science fiction film or something ages before, it's pretty cool. I'm starting to think a bit of musical history has been made by nerds fooling around with lab gear just like this.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It's more of a hands & eyes on than an ears-on, but this guy has a TX-6 prototype it's labeled TX-7. Hopefully he actually does something with it in the next video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piebiy6Q_Fg

I wonder if the tape stop is parametric with the bpm like it is on the OP-1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/cfOLMwLUiJQ

Dammit, Jeremy, don’t make me want a Digitakt.

As much as I like the Drum, I feel like it’s more of an instrument or module than something to sketch out on. I get too lost in the weeds of sound design and making a kick or snare from scratch, and making a larger jam or track requires wiring it up to a controller and sequencer and piping it through the NTS-1 and getting the FM in the mix and christ what a pain in the rear end.

Maybe I should try getting an all-in-one package, like a groovebox or something. Just to make it easier to focus on the big picture.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 25, 2022

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I understand that frustration. The Volca Drum can do a lot sonically, but it's definitely not a get up and go sort of device. There's a project I've been working on where I know I'll need to make a new kit from scratch if I use the Drum, so the temptation is there to pull a SR-16 out of storage. Even if I can't tweak sounds (like at all) on the SR-16, I know it has some drums I could use right away. The Elektron boxes are appealing because you can both tweak sounds and you get a LOT of presets for when you need something quick. If you do get a Digitakt, nothing stops you from making cool sounds on the Drum when that inspiration hits and transferring those sounds to the sampler.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Drum’s great for making strange weird sounds for sure. But it’s a specialty tool, and I already have awful awful problems with tunnel vision and missing the forest for the trees. Sometimes you just need a basic kit to sketch with so you can focus on the big picture instead.

Maybe I’ll invest in some random old, used gear. Maybe TD-3s are cheaper now (edit: they’re not). Dunno what else, though.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Pollyanna posted:

Drum’s great for making strange weird sounds for sure. But it’s a specialty tool, and I already have awful awful problems with tunnel vision and missing the forest for the trees. Sometimes you just need a basic kit to sketch with so you can focus on the big picture instead.

Maybe I’ll invest in some random old, used gear. Maybe TD-3s are cheaper now (edit: they’re not). Dunno what else, though.
java is selling one on the gear trades thread for $100 shipped within CONUS right now...

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
So just this morning I learned that a Portland OR-based game developer named Panic Inc is releasing a cool new handheld game console called the Playdate: https://play.date/

While it's not a synth, I felt it was worth mentioning here since the industrial design was done by Teenage Engineering! The whole thing is about the size of a Gameboy Advance, but only as thick as the Advance's screen.

A distinguishing feature is this little crank that flips up on the side and serves as a 360-degree analog controller. I wonder if they'll develop a Tempest clone!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

This has been coming for a while since Emilie said that Beads would be her last module for MI, but it still feels like the end of an era. Through both MI and the countless clones, her modules really helped grow and define the modern state of eurorack. And seeing another trans woman be such a powerful force in electronic music is really amazing. Between Kinks, Rings, Veils, Peaks and Grids, MI modules and their clones are a huge part of my setup and sound.

Pollyanna posted:

As much as I like the Drum, I feel like it’s more of an instrument or module than something to sketch out on. I get too lost in the weeds of sound design and making a kick or snare from scratch, and making a larger jam or track requires wiring it up to a controller and sequencer and piping it through the NTS-1 and getting the FM in the mix and christ what a pain in the rear end.

Considering I've moved most of my drum creation and sequencing over to modules, I've definitely debated trading in my Volca Drum. It can be fun to noodle around with sound designs but it's a pain in the rear end to actually make anything with. Maybe I'll spend some time making weird sounds for kits for my Rample and use the Drum to trade in towards something at Patchwerks.

I spent some time hanging out with a friend from Discord there yesterday and just jamming on their enormous modular rig, which also solidified a few things I've been thinking about in terms of effects modules: Beads is, like Clouds, not something I really mesh with, but I quite like the Erica Black Stereo Delay. Also the ALM MFX is a loving powerhouse for only being 6hp, as long as you don't mind using the same kind of mini-screen interface as on Pam's New Workout. Considering the Mimeophon has become an invisible unicorn, the MFX is really high on my list in its stead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Radiapathy posted:

So just this morning I learned that a Portland OR-based game developer named Panic Inc is releasing a cool new handheld game console called the Playdate: https://play.date/

While it's not a synth, I felt it was worth mentioning here since the industrial design was done by Teenage Engineering! The whole thing is about the size of a Gameboy Advance, but only as thick as the Advance's screen.

A distinguishing feature is this little crank that flips up on the side and serves as a 360-degree analog controller. I wonder if they'll develop a Tempest clone!

I preordered on day one last year and forgot, now they’re actually shipping?

Neato.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RocketMermaid posted:

Considering I've moved most of my drum creation and sequencing over to modules, I've definitely debated trading in my Volca Drum. It can be fun to noodle around with sound designs but it's a pain in the rear end to actually make anything with. Maybe I'll spend some time making weird sounds for kits for my Rample and use the Drum to trade in towards something at Patchwerks.

Complicating matters is the fact that the Beatstep Pro, at least, really doesn't play well with the Drum. Something about the Drum operating on split-channel mode by default (i.e. channel 1-6 correspond to each part instead of one channel for each part by note) plus BSP's Drum Sequencer not allowing you to specify the note or octave for each pad (and you need very specific notes to trigger the Drum with it). Blech. I actually have no idea what kind of physical percussion modules the BSP's Drum Sequencer is supposed to work with.

minidracula posted:

java is selling one on the gear trades thread for $100 shipped within CONUS right now...

:thunk:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think the volca drum is outstanding as a sound design tool but I feel like it's almost impossible to perform or write music with it.

I am absolutely obsessed with tuned, synthesized percussion though so I use it a lot. Can't really get a good hi hat sound out of it but other than that it rules.

I know behringer sucks but I'm pretty excited to be able to afford a syncussion clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

field balm posted:

I think the volca drum is outstanding as a sound design tool but I feel like it's almost impossible to perform or write music with it.

Perplex_on always makes nice stuff with a Drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQHIUL0Zlc