Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

also i meant congress of vienna idk why i said westphalia which was similar but two centuries too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

also i meant congress of vienna idk why i said westphalia which was similar but two centuries too early
I'm too tired to remember the difference and knew what you meant :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love for some well done mods that both extend the V3 timeline and roll back the start date. Give me an extra century.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm okay with them doing a single start date and just putting in the framework to allow modders to do the rest. It's a whole lot of effort with pretty much no return.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

:v:

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Both CK3 and HOI4 have mods with entirely fictitious start/end dates, I see no reason why Victoria 3 would be limited where other games aren't. There's at least a few fantasy CK3 mods that use entirely different date systems, but I'm pretty sure they still use the Gregorian calendar, but I could be wrong.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they live in the water tower above the hagia sophia and are constantly getting on alex and annas nerves

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Anne Comnena's book is pretty funny because a lot of it is just her talking about how much she loving hates Western Europeans.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you were a Kommenoi you would too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah she spent a lot of time either getting brutalized by the Norman’s or watching Western Europeans being insane assholes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TwoQuestions posted:

Both CK3 and HOI4 have mods with entirely fictitious start/end dates, I see no reason why Victoria 3 would be limited where other games aren't. There's at least a few fantasy CK3 mods that use entirely different date systems, but I'm pretty sure they still use the Gregorian calendar, but I could be wrong.

The guy who made the Way of Kings mod seems to think it's not possible to use an entirely different calendar system.

I think there's a little bit that can be done to change up the way the date is presented, but you can't do stuff like make years that are 500 days long or anything.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DaysBefore posted:

Anne Comnena's book is pretty funny because a lot of it is just her talking about how much she loving hates Western Europeans.

but she thinks the normans are pretty hot (if despicable) as i recall

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
oh god the byzaboo chat has leaked into the thread

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lady Radia posted:

oh god the byzaboo chat has leaked into the thread
Its all my fault. I got a laugh out of it though so I'm not sorry :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is Paradox. You cannot escape the byzaboos.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The guy who made the Way of Kings mod seems to think it's not possible to use an entirely different calendar system.

I think there's a little bit that can be done to change up the way the date is presented, but you can't do stuff like make years that are 500 days long or anything.

Yeah, I was working on a fantasy mod for CK3 too and ran into the same issue. You can rename months and change the format of the date, but the fundamental year structure is fixed.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I wonder how much of CK3, V3 legacy will make it into EU5. At least, I feel like the journaling system will make EU5 more enjoyable to play but I imagine there'd be holdouts for mission trees.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I wrote my Master's Thesis on Byzantium.

The Byzaboo is posting from inside the thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s fine Byzantium is insanely interesting and cool and should get talked about more outside exactly Justianian

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ms Adequate posted:

I simply would have taken out thousands of ducats in loans, overbought mercenaries and galleys, allied Albania and routed the Ottomans at Constantinople: a rationalist's perspective on the 1453 Byzantine-Ottoman conflict, Adequate, M. 2021, The American Historical Review 122 (3) pp. 223-231

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ms Adequate posted:

how much do people fight about calling them Romans in the inner circles?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Allying Albania against Ottomans is always a wise move.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It is kind of funny they are only called Byzantium because of Germans with a weird grudge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Popoto posted:

how much do people fight about calling them Romans in the inner circles?

As opposed to 'Byzantines'? Almost none, surprisingly!

As opposed to 'Greeks'? Well there have been bigger Byzantine civil conflicts, but not many...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the people we now know as Greeks still call themselves Romans, basically until they needed foreign backing for their independence and found the British much more sympathetic to the idea of ancient Greeks than medieval Byzantines?

If ever there was a time period for weird Byzantine fantasies, I think the Victorian era makes sense, considering Greek nationalist ambitions.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Eiba posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the people we now know as Greeks still call themselves Romans, basically until they needed foreign backing for their independence and found the British much more sympathetic to the idea of ancient Greeks than medieval Byzantines?

If ever there was a time period for weird Byzantine fantasies, I think the Victorian era makes sense, considering Greek nationalist ambitions.

Oh yes, if anyone has big ideas about reclaiming past glory in this time period it's the Greeks.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eiba posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnos

quote:

On 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War, Lemnos became part of Greece. The Greek navy under Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman garrison, who were returned to Anatolia. Peter Charanis, born on the island in 1908 and later a professor of Byzantine history at Rutgers University recounts when the island was liberated and Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what Greek soldiers looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ the children replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ a soldier retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans." the children replied, which might seem odd at a first glance, but indicates that in parts of Greece the locals self-identified as a continuation of the Eastern, Greek-speaking part of the Roman Empire (Ρωμιοί).[24]

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1519317179916865536

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

moltkes moves are great but if i havent figured out how to dragon punch after 30 years im never going to

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1519709273793581057?s=20&t=dg4AkYPF3QRVTmtgi7_yhA

Seems interesting. One thing I'm curious about is if the general selection is manual or automatic from the assigned generals to the front.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
From the sound of it, I think it's automatic. Choosing which generals to assign to a front is meant to be the way the player influences the combat, the individual general is then picked randomly from those (I'm not sure if there will be some weighting here for things like making generals with skills relevant to say, the terrain type or whatever, more likely to be chosen).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the DD mentions the choice of generals is part of a script. I'm sure there will be turbo nerds that want more micro back that will end up making a mod that has a popup or something that lets you choose or who knows what.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

From the sound of it, I think it's automatic. Choosing which generals to assign to a front is meant to be the way the player influences the combat, the individual general is then picked randomly from those (I'm not sure if there will be some weighting here for things like making generals with skills relevant to say, the terrain type or whatever, more likely to be chosen).

The generals are picked before they determine which province to fight on so that, specifically, is unlikely.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I agree it's part of the script, but it seems possible that the script is 'give player (or ai) decision box to select general.' For instance, you could select your offensive genius to lead the charge and have an engineer following along to fortify things you take and generally take the defensive role for counterattacks.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Will your war strategy impact your success in a war or is it just a matter of assigning generals and hoping you have a bigger population and better tech? In vic 2 you could lead obscure nations to success against European great powers if lucky and clever with your units. I hope i still have a chance of winning as the Sikh Empire against Great Britain for example.

Not complaining, just wondering how it will work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Party In My Diapee posted:

Will your war strategy impact your success in a war or is it just a matter of assigning generals and hoping you have a bigger population and better tech? In vic 2 you could lead obscure nations to success against European great powers if lucky and clever with your units. I hope i still have a chance of winning as the Sikh Empire against Great Britain for example.

Not complaining, just wondering how it will work.

I mean, there won't be any unit micro to get clever with, so you'd have thought it would be harder for the Sikhs to defeat Great Britain than in games that have that unit micro.

If you want to defeat Britain, get France, Spain and the Dutch on your side.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean there isn't really any tactics or strategy to deal with. All you really do is pick what generals you want, pick what production methods you want your soldiers to use, and assign each general soldiers, a border, and then attack/defend/reserve. Your primary job in a war is logistics.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hellioning posted:

I mean there isn't really any tactics or strategy to deal with. All you really do is pick what generals you want, pick what production methods you want your soldiers to use, and assign each general soldiers, a border, and then attack/defend/reserve. Your primary job in a war is logistics.

we dont know how much the alpha reflects the status of the released game, there could be more decisions and influence you can have in the released state

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I could see some kind of "oversupply" where you dump extra weapons, ammunition and horses into your army in order to boost their effectiveness.

But you won't see Hearts of Iron 4-style "I leave a hole in my lines, allow the enemy to advance into it, then cut them off and encircle them" stuff, and that's a good thing. War isn't really the focus of this game, economics and diplomacy are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gort posted:

I could see some kind of "oversupply" where you dump extra weapons, ammunition and horses into your army in order to boost their effectiveness.

But you won't see Hearts of Iron 4-style "I leave a hole in my lines, allow the enemy to advance into it, then cut them off and encircle them" stuff, and that's a good thing. War isn't really the focus of this game, economics and diplomacy are.

It's also a good thing because in 90% of cases where your army vastly overperformes in regular PDX games it's a result of the AI making GBS threads the bed or you forcing the AI to poo poo the bed.